Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let me set up my story:

Common Law spousal sponsorship
Originally living in Manitoba
Processing time for first step when we applied: 6 months
Applied & Received UCI number: March 6, 2013
Moved to Saskatchewan and changed address online in CIC system: Summer 2013
Processing time for first step extended to 10 months. In January 2014 when we didn't hear anything, we called and they had transferred the file to the local office...in Winnipeg. Why? Because they had no record of our address change...even though I was looking at my Saskatchewan address on their system as she said that. Since it takes a month to transfer a file, we decided not to request the transfer to Saskatoon. We would rather keep the process going and drive to Winnipeg for our appointment when necessary.
February 2014: wrote letters to government asking if there's anything that can be done about our situation since it was CIC's system that mistakingly transferred us to Winnipeg. The response was that there was nothing to be done.
April 2014: Called CIC and was informed that our file had risen to the top of the Winnipeg pile...and had been transferred to Saskatoon. No letter or email was sent notifying us of this. So why didn't they just force the transfer in the first place rather than wasting more months.
July 2014 - this week marks our 16th month of the first step of the process with no end in sight because Saskatoon's wait times are up to 8 months and we are now only about a month or so in, rather than the 5 or 6 months in we would have been if CIC's system hadn't failed to record my address change in the first place or the 4 or 5 months in we would have been if CIC had just told me that Winnipeg would transfer the file anyway and requested the transfer to Saskatoon back in January.
July 2014 - more letters written to applicable political parties. Is my next step the media? I mean this is not right is it?

To beat it all my husband (commonlaw or not that's what he is) is here on a student visa but because we've been most of 16 months on only my income there's no way we can afford for him to go back to school in September...and at that point if he hasn't got his first step approval, he will be forced to leave the country and go back to Nigeria. I feel so helpless and honestly like a lower class of citizen just getting shuffled through an overwhelmed system with nobody to advocate for us.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
That was my biggest fear when it came to moving to a new address in the middle of the inland PR processing. Once we submitted the PR inland papers, I swore that I will never move voluntarily to an new address unless my hand was forced (become unemployed).

I really didn't and never did trust CIC to handle address changes properly. It is these reason like Mela's situation I like to avoid over a simple thing like an address change.

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
Mela said:
To beat it all my husband (commonlaw or not that's what he is) is here on a student visa but because we've been most of 16 months on only my income there's no way we can afford for him to go back to school in September...and at that point if he hasn't got his first step approval, he will be forced to leave the country and go back to Nigeria. I feel so helpless and honestly like a lower class of citizen just getting shuffled through an overwhelmed system with nobody to advocate for us.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just out of curiousity why will your husband be forced to leave the country? Has CBSA issued a removal order?

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
screech339 said:
That was my biggest fear when it came to moving to a new address in the middle of the inland PR processing. Once we submitted the PR inland papers, I swore that I will never move voluntarily to an new address unless my hand was forced (become unemployed).

I really didn't and never did trust CIC to handle address changes properly. It is these reason like Mela's situation I like to avoid over a simple thing like an address change.
I don't understand why they have such difficulty with an address change. Seems so simple boggles my mind. With the CRA you can just call them up ,verify your identify and change your address. Done. Most other government agencies have no issue with it.

Mela

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Linden said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just out of curiousity why will your husband be forced to leave the country? Has CBSA issued a removal order?
Because he is here on a student visa and we can't afford for him to go back to school in the fall. If he's not registered as a full time student, under the new legislation he will have so many days to leave the country or be removed.

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
Mela said:
Because he is here on a student visa and we can't afford for him to go back to school in the fall. If he's not registered as a full time student, under the new legislation he will have so many days to leave the country or be removed.
No he does not have to leave.

You can switch your status to a visitor status on the basis that you have an sponsorship application in process. Even without status one can still get PR from sponsorship but it's better to maintain legal status in Canada.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Mela said:
As mentioned above. That is not true. He can change his status to visitor status from study visa.

Mela

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Linden said:
No he does not have to leave.

You can switch your status to a visitor status on the basis that you have an sponsorship application in process. Even without status one can still get PR from sponsorship but it's better to maintain legal status in Canada.
That's really good to know. However for now his student status is the best for us since it means he has the summer to work and off-set a few of our expenses. It's only in the fall that things will go sideways. You can imagine that we never in a million years thought that 6 months would turn into 16 months and possibly 22 months because of an address change...and this is only for the 1st step approval!!!

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mela said:
That's really good to know. However for now his student status is the best for us since it means he has the summer to work and off-set a few of our expenses. It's only in the fall that things will go sideways. You can imagine that we never in a million years thought that 6 months would turn into 16 months and possibly 22 months because of an address change...and this is only for the 1st step approval!!!
How did you get your PR if you dont mind sharing. Sometimes it`s the way how a sponsor became PR that would also trigger further investigation. Length of relationship and your spouse immigration history also.

Mela

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
How did you get your PR if you dont mind sharing. Sometimes it`s the way how a sponsor became PR that would also trigger further investigation. Length of relationship and your spouse immigration history also.
I'm a born Canadian citizen.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mela said:
I'm a born Canadian citizen.
Could be immigration history with either one of you. But if a relationship is truthful it`s just a matter of time. For now I think you should convert his status to visitor if he can`t go to school.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mela said:
Questions to consider: have you ever sponsored anyone else. has your spouse been previously sponsored or attempted to get PR through any other means. is this the first marriage or common law relationship for both of you. why not marriage instead of common law. are there children involved. how long did he go to school in canada before joining you as a domestic partner. Did your family and his family approve your relationship. is there a ceremony. do you guys have pictures with family and friends. Those are the questions I might have in my mind if I were an officer reviewing your file. Order GCMS to see whats really happening is also a good way.

Mela

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
Order GCMS to see whats really happening is also a good way.
I'm sorry. What are GCMS? This is first time working through the PR process for both of us. He's been here for 3.5 years and we've been living together for three now. We held off on getting married because his mom had a stroke and my father was dying of cancer and then decided to wait until after his PR so that we could celebrate and afford a wedding. This all just feels so cruel. Like due process is one thing but just being shuffled around for months and months due to some short-coming in CIC's system is horrid.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mela said:
I'm sorry. What are GCMS? This is first time working through the PR process for both of us. He's been here for 3.5 years and we've been living together for three now. We held off on getting married because his mom had a stroke and my father was dying of cancer and then decided to wait until after his PR so that we could celebrate and afford a wedding. This all just feels so cruel. Like due process is one thing but just being shuffled around for months and months due to some short-coming in CIC's system is horrid.
If it is so I dont understand why your file must be refered to local office for further investigation. Did you change your address before or after getting local office file transfer notice. You seem to have a strong case. But it probably was handled by a moody officer that didnt want to give you a straight yes. common law cases always seem to be more challenging.

bankerguy

Jun 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
sent with app - app received Sept 18, 2013
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
V --> M OWP received Jan 9th (pilot program)
Med's Request
AIP Feb 25/2015 & DM FEB 27/2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
I wouldn't move unless i had to.

I'd be so scared that the CIC would screw something up which would delay everything even more.