Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 26, 2014 (DM)
LANDED..........
July 15, 2014 in Edmonton
April Fajardo said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

Time you have lived in Canada
You must have resided in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before you apply. This does not apply to children under 18.

*out of the 1095 days required, you have to be a PR for 2 yrs to be eligible, and the days before obtaining the PR count as half day.
Thank you but I did read that on the website. I would be eligible after 2 yrs. I'm asking about the new bill if anyone can share your knowledge about this thank you

Happy canada day everyone!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
bruneian said:
Thank you but I did read that on the website. I would be eligible after 2 yrs. I'm asking about the new bill if anyone can share your knowledge about this thank you

Happy canada day everyone!
The new bill is 4 out of 6 years or 1460 days. Out of those 6 years, 4 of them MUST have been a minimum of 183 days spent inside Canada. I am not sure what the new rule is going to be for time spent before PR is granted. I think the point to that was that because you can only count 1/2 days anyway, before you would be able to collect enough to count as time spent it would be out of the counted window anyhow so thus time before PR being granted becomes irrelevant.

bruneian

Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
PCC waived, Fingerprints 06/02/14
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 10, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 2, 2014 (AIP)
AOR Received.
Aug 3, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 6, 2013
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 26, 2014 (DM)
LANDED..........
Alurra71 said:
The new bill is 4 out of 6 years or 1460 days. Out of those 6 years, 4 of them MUST have been a minimum of 183 days spent inside Canada. I am not sure what the new rule is going to be for time spent before PR is granted. I think the point to that was that because you can only count 1/2 days anyway, before you would be able to collect enough to count as time spent it would be out of the counted window anyhow so thus time before PR being granted becomes irrelevant.
thanks alurra. what a long wait ahead :s do you know what we should keep as evidence that i am physically present in canada? leases? school transcripts? bills?

AckTivity

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2013
Doc's Request.
13-01-2014 (mailed 24-01-2014)
Nomination.....
AIP: 17-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2013
Med's Request
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
21-01-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
LANDED..........
23-02-2015
Alurra71 said:
I just read a link (http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/06/30/highlights_of_bill_c24.html) that says it will not be counting ANY time before PR status. Which is crap. Especially with these delays. Also, would we be allowed to apply after four years? Or do we have to wait the six?

I also can't find when this will go into effect. I'm pretty sure we won't be getting DM before the end of summer and I'm feeling angry because we should have been under the old law except for the governmental delays.

bruneian

Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
PCC waived, Fingerprints 06/02/14
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 10, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 2, 2014 (AIP)
AOR Received.
Aug 3, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 6, 2013
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 26, 2014 (DM)
LANDED..........
AckTivity said:
I just read a link (http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/06/30/highlights_of_bill_c24.html) that says it will not be counting ANY time before PR status. Which is crap. Especially with these delays. Also, would we be allowed to apply after four years? Or do we have to wait the six?

I also can't find when this will go into effect. I'm pretty sure we won't be getting DM before the end of summer and I'm feeling angry because we should have been under the old law except for the governmental delays.

The processing time is 24 months for a "routine" process (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp) so that means min. 6 years before anything to do with immigration is over. :( I wonder if the new bill will help with the backlog.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
AckTivity said:

The law has been enacted already and it wouldn't have made a difference because any who have not already applied for citizenship are under the new law. You wouldn't have yet be eligible even if you had gotten your PR in 6 months. Yes, you can apply after 4 years. You MUST have 1460 days in order to apply, so if you get them all in the first 4 years, then apply :D The only people I can really see this affecting is the ones who play the RO roulette game hanging out in their home countries as much as possible and just skimming by on the RO until they can apply for citizenship, then they get a passport and bail out to another country. I think that is the main reason for this change. I don't personally care if it takes me 3 years or 4 to get my citizenship. I came here to be with my spouse and so long as he is here, this is where I will be.

AckTivity

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2013
Doc's Request.
13-01-2014 (mailed 24-01-2014)
Nomination.....
AIP: 17-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2013
Med's Request
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
21-01-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
LANDED..........
23-02-2015
Alurra71 said:
The law has been enacted already and it wouldn't have made a difference because any who have not already applied for citizenship are under the new law. You wouldn't have yet be eligible even if you had gotten your PR in 6 months. Yes, you can apply after 4 years. You MUST have 1460 days in order to apply, so if you get them all in the first 4 years, then apply :D The only people I can really see this affecting is the ones who play the RO roulette game hanging out in their home countries as much as possible and just skimming by on the RO until they can apply for citizenship, then they get a passport and bail out to another country. I think that is the main reason for this change. I don't personally care if it takes me 3 years or 4 to get my citizenship. I came here to be with my spouse and so long as he is here, this is where I will be.
Then why have people on this board been told in their landing appointments that they are not affected by the new law? From everything I can find the law hasn't been enacted but will most likely be. Last I read it was in it's third reading.

I came here for my spouse, as well. And plan to be in the country forever. But I would rather be a citizen sooner than later. I would like to be able to vote. I would like to be finished dealing with all of the paperwork, wondering, etc. sooner than later. And the thought of adding more years to that time does frustrate me.

5hr3wd

Jul 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Vegreville --> CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
15-August-2013
Med's Done....
05-June-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 09-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 09-July-2014
LANDED..........
15-August-2014
Alurra71 said:
This is affecting more people than you think. Adding more years to the process means it's affecting everyone not the ones who 'play'. The stress of not being done with the process or it taking much longer is bothersome. But fine if they want to increase the residency requirement, i just hope they decrease the backlog and reduce the processing time..

Personally, I don't like and get the clause that renders the time spent in Canada before PR useless. That's the least that could've left out, I mean how is that helping them counter fraud? They required 2 years on PR atleast anyway, the amost it could've helped someone ws an year. So for a student like me who's spent 2 years in Canada already, it would take 4 years instead of 2. Just because I get to be with my spouse, doesn't mean i would like to be a second class citizen for longer than it needs to be.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
bruneian said:
Quoting directly from the official C-24 summary ( http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?Language=E&ls=c24&Parl=41&Ses=2&source=library_prb#a33):

The residency requirement for citizenship by way of grant, or naturalization, is amended to emphasize attachment to Canada. The meaning of “residence” is defined as actual physical presence in Canada and is calculated in days. New section 5(1)(c)(i) specifies that the total required number of days of physical presence in Canada is 1,460 in six years and new section 5(1)(c)(ii) requires a minimum of 183 days of physical presence per calendar year in four of the six years preceding the application for citizenship.

While time spent in Canada as anything other than a permanent resident no longer counts towards the residency period, time residing outside Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse or common-law partner employed in or with the Canadian Armed Forces, the federal public administration or the public service of a province or being so employed as a permanent resident does count toward the period of physical presence (new sections 5(1.01) and 5(1.02)). New section 21 indicates that persons under a probation order, on parole or in any penitentiary cannot count that time as physical presence in Canada for citizenship application purposes (clause 17).

Permanent residents applying for naturalization must meet a new requirement: they must identify whether they have any obligations under the Income Tax Act, and if so must file income tax returns for four of the six years preceding the application for citizenship (new section 5(1)(c)(iii)).

Bill C-24 also adds the requirement that permanent residents seeking citizenship intend to reside in Canada once citizenship is granted (new section 5(1)(c.1)), a stipulation contained in the 1947 Canadian Citizenship Act. Permanent residents can fulfill this criterion when abroad through the employment of their spouse, common-law partner or parent – or their own employment – in service to Canada as defined in new sections 5(1.01) and 5(1.02). New section 5(1.1) provides that the permanent resident’s intention must be continuous from the date of his or her application until he or she has taken the oath of citizenship.

While permanent residents are currently required to have an adequate knowledge of the English or French language (section 5(1)(d)) and to have “adequate knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship” (section 5(1)(e)),20 according to policy, people aged 55 and over do not have to be tested for their knowledge in these areas. Bill C-24 extends the application of the requirements to permanent residents between the ages of 55 and 64 (new sections 5(1)(d) and 5(1)(e)) and to minors aged 14 years and up (new sections 5(2)(c) and 5(2)(d)). These requirements can be waived on the basis of humanitarian and compassionate grounds (new section 5(3)(a)).

The bill also amends the Act to emphasize that the knowledge of Canada must be demonstrated by the applicant in the official language of his or her choice, presumably without the assistance of an interpreter (new sections 5(1)(e) and 5(2)(d)).21

The final revision to the naturalization requirements is that a permanent resident must have fulfilled all conditions relating to his or her status as a permanent resident (new section 5(1)(c)).22
Summary: the new bill will require 4 years (1460 days) in 6 years after becoming a permanent resident. In addition, 4 of the 6 years you must be in the country more than 182 days. Residency is now clearly defined as physical presence in Canada. Language and Citizenship testing is required of anyone under 65 (versus 55 currently).

nurse2012

Star Member
Jun 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 30, 2013
AOR Received.
Aug 24, 2013
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
Jan 19, 2015
yata520 said:
July still have 8 more ppls ( include me ) wish us luck, and happy Canada day and enjoy July 4th day :D
I'm a July applicant too. Wish us luck.

shyla36

Sep 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2013
AOR Received.
20-09-2013
Med's Done....
01-08-2013
LANDED..........
04-02-2015
nurse2012 said:
I'm a July applicant too. Wish us luck.
Good luck to all of you july applicants. Really wish and pray you all get the good news this week. Spill over to august too would be awesome. Lol

bankerguy

Jun 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
sent with app - app received Sept 18, 2013
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
V --> M OWP received Jan 9th (pilot program)
Med's Request
AIP Feb 25/2015 & DM FEB 27/2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
screech339 said:
I thought you guys went with the "inland" approach. You were debating on when your common law can get 1st stage approval and get OWP before her PGWP expires. You figured that she had lot of time even under the longer 1st stage approval to meet the PGWP deadline.

Screech339
Sorry that was a typo. Yes we applied inland...but now i'm kind of regretting it. Outland is so much faster, we should have done that.... I didnt know much about the whole process back then...

You are correct, i originally thought we had a lot of time to get 1st stage approval + owp ......We're sept 18th 2013 applicants, and her permit expires Nov 30th 2014....
now i'm thinking we WONT have enough time... CIC is processing 3 days of applications per week... when i do the math, they'll get to Sept applicants in October! cutting it close :(

Hopefully they speed up in the next few weeks ...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
bankerguy said:
Sorry that was a typo. Yes we applied inland...but now i'm kind of regretting it. Outland is so much faster, we should have done that.... I didnt know much about the whole process back then...

You are correct, i originally thought we had a lot of time to get 1st stage approval + owp ......We're sept 18th 2013 applicants, and her permit expires Nov 30th 2014....
now i'm thinking we WONT have enough time... CIC is processing 3 days of applications per week... when i do the math, they'll get to Sept applicants in October! cutting it close :(

Hopefully they speed up in the next few weeks ...
It really doesn't matter if you went inland or outland, the main motivator behind your decision to apply inland at the time was to have your common law partner ability to get OWP and continue working before PGWP expires. If you were to apply outland, the application process may have been much quicker but the common law would not be able to work once the PGWP expires assuming that the outland landing came after the PGWP work visa.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
screech339 said:
It really doesn't matter if you went inland or outland, the main motivator behind your decision to apply inland at the time was to have your common law partner ability to get OWP and continue working before PGWP expires. If you were to apply outland, the application process may have been much quicker but the common law would not be able to work once the PGWP expires assuming that the outland landing came after the PGWP work visa.
Exactly that. When I applied I had planned on getting my OWP on June (which by the way was when my previous non-extendable work permit expired), while with Outland it would get me to end of winter/start of spring of 2015. Unfortunately with all the delays, I'm expecting it this November with a good possibility to be even later