+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Assuming C6 passes, what are the chances conservatives would try to reverse it if they win next election ? Game of cat and mouse ...

vsoftco

Star Member
Aug 7, 2012
Coffee1981 said:
She can't promise that. She's a Senator and has no power in the House of Commons or in the government.

She's literally screwing hundreds of thousands of people over who wants 3/5 by holding the bill hostage while she has a hissy fit over something that affects like .00001% of the population.

She could stop being selfish and just letting this pass and putting her own bill up tomorrow.
Frankly I support the amendment! Waiting a tad more for citizenship is less stringent than feeling like you don't have the exact rights as a natural born Canadian citizen. Today it's about terrorism. What if tomorrow the govt decides to add some other offences, say a DUI? Would you feel confortable being stripped of citizenship WITHOUT A HEARING IN A COURT OF LAW?

We will all become citizens, so I really think it's in our best interest to have a law that will not discriminate. If you screw up, there's the criminal law that you should deal with, no more no less, like any other Canadian.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
razerblade said:
Assuming C6 passes, what are the chances conservatives would try to reverse it if they win next election ? Game of cat and mouse ...
There is indeed a sense of political war by using the citizenship as a tool for that.
I am pretty sure that the Liberals were aware that the newcomers are interested predominantly on the 3/5 rule, if they were willing to reverse the requirement back to 3 years then a Bill with that simple amendment should have passed long ago, BUT NO they want to reverse most of the C24 just for the fact that is was made by the Conservatives.

Don't blame Sen. Omidvar for the effort fixing a huge gap in the proposed C6, because the same gap was noticed last year by MP Kwan when that Bill was still in the Committee of the lower chamber. That problem was ruled by the chairman (Liberal) as out of the scope of C6. Now one year latter Sen Omidvar is trying to fix the same mistake made in the drafting of that Bill.
So Blame the Liberals for that waiting Lumbo you are all in now.

reasonabledude

Nov 20, 2016
Hi Guys,

I am tired of this game and have decided to send my application. Can anyone kindly advise when (eventually) C-6 get Royal Assent, what will happen to those applications that have been submitted? specially for the clause "intend to reside".

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
reasonabledude said:
Hi Guys,

I am tired of this game and have decided to send my application. Can anyone kindly advise when (eventually) C-6 get Royal Assent, what will happen to those applications that have been submitted? specially for the clause "intend to reside".
Your application be processed as usual. Nothing will change for those who've already applied. Intent to reside won't matter after (if?) c-6 passes.

reasonabledude

Nov 20, 2016
Coffee1981 said:
Your application be processed as usual. Nothing will change for those who've already applied. Intent to reside won't matter after (if?) c-6 passes.
Thanks for your reply. I have the same understanding as you mentioned but the reason I asked was I remember I had read here long ago that "intend to reside" will be legally useless upon Royal Assent in all the applications (even submitted before). This topic has become really long (already 162 pages :eek:) and I couldn't find comments related to it.

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Coffee1981 said:
She's literally screwing hundreds of thousands of people over who wants 3/5 by holding the bill hostage while she has a hissy fit over something that affects like .00001% of the population.

She could stop being selfish and just letting this pass and putting her own bill up tomorrow.
Can't see how she is screwing anybody; and selfish is the last word I would use to describe her. She could easily put her feet up and be matey with her colleagues in self interest. Instead, she is pushing hard for something she believes will benefit lots of immigrants.

I have suffered due to the increased time requirement under C24 and would love to see C6 pass ASAP. However, I would rather it passes with the amendment that is likely to be proposed by Senator Omidvar than in its current form. A few weeks worth of time saved is not a wise exchange for a potentially diluted citizenship - at least not for me!

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I completely agree. She's working hard to do the right thing. Some of you guys need a serious reality check.

Confused in Montreal

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
razerblade said:
Well for this we have to take into account the happenings in our neighborhood down south. It will be what Trump is doing, signing executive orders one after another reversing whatever Obama did, which has made Americans and Canadians equally cynical. If Cons pull that strategy, they will be equated to Trump, which they cannot afford to. Even during the current tenure, if they continue the theatrics, they will be equated to Trump. There are people crossing over from US through prairies when with the blizzard warning to seek refugee status. I can only say about few areas but Canadians at large have been very welcoming of the Syrian refugees and their settlement. So in the current environment, exclusion policies won't help politically. The travel ban, H1-B, H4 policies etc are being seen as derogatory excluding the recent surge in hate crimes in US and Canada (Please see the attacks on Jewish establishments in both countries and shooting of Indian techies randomly). Personally, even I have seen a surge in name calling on the streets towards myself, even though I am far far away ethnicity wise from the slurs hurdled, C'est la vie and ignore morons. Long story short, they can't strip you of citizenship until you are a dual citizen and indulge in high treason against Canada, which includes terrorism. If you have to renounce your citizenship of birth after taking oath like in my case, they can't strip you even after charges of high treason as UN human rights charter says that no person can be rendered stateless. They have to deal with you the same way they are dealing with some of the infamous 'Toronto 18' or the recent happenings in Quebec City.

So as spyfy and other members stated, let's keep the speculations at bay and focus on the bill C-6. I didn't see C-24, C-6 or Trump coming, but they did. Everybody has individualistic expectations but as for politics, everything is predetermined behind closed doors by the political parties, it's a face saving measure and you scratch my back I scratch your back, in a very Shakespearean manner. So 'Keep Calm and Follow Bill C-6'.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
anyone knows what's the amendent about?

sivabalan

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2013
LANDED..........
20-09-2013
I have posted my comments on Senator Ratna Omidvar's tweet about her speech in the senate today. May I request you all to tweet and encourage Senator Ratna Omidvar.

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
Sen Omidvar made an epic speech today. We all were bummed out because we thought nobody really cares about this bill.

After today, I don't think I'll feel that way again. Yes, it's been a long road - but if you hear Sen Omidvar's speech in its entirety, you can be rest assured at least one senator is definitely fighting hard.

Just a gut feeling but its going to be hard for the Conservatives to push this longer and longer. Maybe this is wishful thinking though.

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
The bill c-6 schedule for today 1:30 so third reading again i hope vote it today

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
reasonabledude said:
Thanks for your reply. I have the same understanding as you mentioned but the reason I asked was I remember I had read here long ago that "intend to reside" will be legally useless upon Royal Assent in all the applications (even submitted before). This topic has become really long (already 162 pages :eek:) and I couldn't find comments related to it.
I was always courious what the "intent to reside" actually is. Is it something tangible or just the abstract state of someones mind? Do you show it by buying down winter jacket instead of bermuda shorts?