Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
razerblade said:
Adjourned. Heard there's another meeting tomorrow.
She didn't even have time to present her amendment with the tons of questions :mad:
It's like they just discovered the Bill today!

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
Seriously , it's getting ridiculous , they're just like kids , we are the third reading stage and still they manage to delay , with 100 of them asking the same question.
It is disgusting .
Senator Frum said she won't do anything , and yet other pitbulls showed at the doorstep.

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
There is a time for debate and consensus building / listening to and addressing concerns of opposition.. and there is a time for a show of strength.

I believe it is time for the government; senate sponsor of the bill Senator Omidvar; and liberals in both houses at large, to show strength and cut out the non-sense going on. The questions being asked are simply playing silly-buggers for the third reading stage of the bill.

Senator Omidvar: time to run the gauntlet and call for a vote on this bill. If you have the numbers (I assume you do now - following the recent appointments of new senators) on your side, there is nothing to fear. If you still don't have the numbers at this stage, then the bill better die and make way for another bill that can actually pass.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Are you all expecting this to take a day or two for some reason?
Nothing in government works like that. It is the job of these senators to question and they will do it.
Just be patient. We already waited over a year now. What's another few months. Dont expect this to take any less than 4-5 sittings at the least.

Also, once they pass it which they will eventually, Parliament will likely debate the amendment, even if it to say they support the amendment. That is how it goes.

If you are hoping someone will say no debate just vote, you are asking to go back to Harper era politics.

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
_MK_ said:
If you are hoping someone will say no debate just vote, you are asking to go back to Harper era politics.
Well, there has been debate going on for more than an year for what is, as far as legislative pieces go, a fairly simple bill.

At any rate, no amount of debate will make the opposition stop and just give up. It is their job to oppose after all. At this stage the practical way to move forward is to call for a vote at the earliest.

No body expects this to be done and over in a day or two. At the same time there is nothing to be gained by several more sittings of the same sort where old points and questions are recycled endlessly.

liveIsHop

Sep 23, 2016
captain74 said:
Well, there has been debate going on for more than an year for what is, as far as legislative pieces go, a fairly simple bill.

At any rate, no amount of debate will make the opposition stop and just give up. It is their job to oppose after all. At this stage the practical way to move forward is to call for a vote at the earliest.

No body expects this to be done and over in a day or two. At the same time there is nothing to be gained by several more sittings of the same sort where old points and questions are recycled endlessly.
agree

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
captain74 said:

agree

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
_MK_ said:
Are you all expecting this to take a day or two for some reason?
Nothing in government works like that. It is the job of these senators to question and they will do it.
Just be patient. We already waited over a year now. What's another few months. Dont expect this to take any less than 4-5 sittings at the least.

Also, once they pass it which they will eventually, Parliament will likely debate the amendment, even if it to say they support the amendment. That is how it goes.

The problem isn't actually that there is a debate. I agree, that's how parliaments work. The Opposition has a right to have their voice heard. The actual problem are the archaic rules of business that the Senate has.

In the HoC, they allocate X hours for the debate, then the Government and the Opposition both send their speakers in and they can say all they want. That usually takes one or maybe two days and then the vote happens.

In the Senate, one single senator speaks on an issue per day, then some other senator can hold the debate indefinitely and then say something days or weeks later. This can hardly be called a debate.

I would be all OK with the Conservative Senators voicing their concerns. But it's just stupid that they don't say "OK on March 8th, we allocate 30 minutes of speaking time to the conservatives, and 30 minutes to the liberals and 30 mins to the Independents. Now please speak" Then everyone can speak and raise their concerns. Then they vote.

For me, no matter if from the perspective of a Liberal, a Conservative or an Independent, I don't see why they have this procedure of dragging it out over weeks, one speech per week. I mean by the time the next senator speaks on the subject, most of them have already forgotten what the last one said a month ago. How is that a debate?

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Could some please provide Omidvar's today's speech link simply copy paste over here what she said in the senate.I would like to read what kind of defence she brought forward for the removal of "intent to reside" and "revocation" clause as those are the two most important clauses why I want c24 to be gone and c6 implemented at the earliest.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
HSD said:
Could some please provide Omidvar's today's speech link simply copy paste over here what she said in the senate.I would like to read what kind of defence she brought forward for the removal of "intent to reside" and "revocation" clause as those are the two most important clauses why I want c24 to be gone and c6 implemented at the earliest.
The debate will be published within one or two days on the website of the Senate. Since she just delivered that speech hours ago and since everything has to be translated between English an French it takes some days before there is a written document.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
captain74 said:
They are going to vote dont worry but first let her introduce the amendments tomorrow, then they are going to vote ;)