+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek said:
Leon's answer was absolutely correct, but I want to quash one mistake I've seen people make.

If you get married and then land in Canada without declaring your spouse, you will not be allowed to sponsor your spouse, ever. This also applies even if you have just been living together for one year or more prior to landing - this is known as a "common law relationship" and is equal to being married in the eyes of CIC.
This is absolutely true. Many people do not realize when they immigrate what a common law relationship is because their country may not have anything like that. Therefore, they may list their status as single in good faith. At some point after PR they get married and when they try to sponsor their spouse and show in their relationship history that they lived together as a couple for 12 months before the sponsor got their PR, they get a bad surprise. The sponsor is then guilty of misrepresentation and may lose their PR and even if they get to keep it, they can never sponsor that spouse.

If one marries or the time of a common law partnership clicks over to 12 months before landing as a PR, the spouse must be added to the application before landing. This is very important.

Of course if the person is an adult dependent child, it would however not be advisable to get married or enter into a common law relationship before landing because that can affect their status as a dependent child and exclude them from the parents application.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Spousal sponsorship - inland on visitor visa (6months) - possible?

Victorswife said:
using IMM 5710 We are trying to fill out the OWP but it won't validate without putting in Employer info that we do not have... think it is okay to write N/A?.. or unknown ?
Yes, try writing N/A to everything that does not apply.

Kishie

Jun 22, 2012
All Senior Members. Need your valuable help

I am PR holder and want to sponsor my husband. I am a Roman Catholic (from India) and my husband is Hindu (Indian) hence our marriage is a interfaith marriage (love cum arranged marriage).

We got married by civil or court marriage before the Marriage officer/registrar of the district under the Special Marriage Act, 1954 in India, thereafter we did Hindu traditional marriage and Church marriage (to respect both the faiths) and a common reception in Catholic style. The court marriage, Hindu marriage, Church marriage and the reception, all happened on the same day.

1. In Question 15 of Form 5490 (Sponsered Person Questionaire), they have asked to specify the rite (religion) in which the marriage took place. What should I fill in there? Should I mention civil, Hindu and Catholic Church wedding.

2. Will it create a problem if I show both traditional marriage (Hindu and Catholic) along with the Civil marriage in my application. I have photos of all the ceremonies.

3. Will the Visa Officer raise a concern that we got married in Church (as church does not allow other religious marriage) and we even did tradition Hindu marriage without me nor my husband getting converted.

4. Or is it true that the New Delhi Visa Officer is not concerned as to which marriage tradition you have followed to get married until you have provided them with our Marriage Certificate issued by the Registrar of Marriage under Special Marriage Act,1954 and other supporting documents to prove our marriage is genuine ?

Please help with your suggestions as I am really worried about it and want to start my sponsorship application soon

fromadistance

Oct 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2012
Doc's Request.
11-09-2013 RPRF Request
AOR Received.
19-12-2012
File Transfer...
03-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2013
LANDED..........
24-11-2013
Do they compare in detail info submitted in visit visa application to that in PR application?

dreamtocanada_uk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/02/2014
Doc's Request.
16/08/2014
AOR Received.
07/03/2014
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Don't know
Med's Request
15/02/2015
Med's Done....
16/02/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Not sure
Leon said:
This is absolutely true. Many people do not realize when they immigrate what a common law relationship is because their country may not have anything like that. Therefore, they may list their status as single in good faith. At some point after PR they get married and when they try to sponsor their spouse and show in their relationship history that they lived together as a couple for 12 months before the sponsor got their PR, they get a bad surprise. The sponsor is then guilty of misrepresentation and may lose their PR and even if they get to keep it, they can never sponsor that spouse.

If one marries or the time of a common law partnership clicks over to 12 months before landing as a PR, the spouse must be added to the application before landing. This is very important.

Of course if the person is an adult dependent child, it would however not be advisable to get married or enter into a common law relationship before landing because that can affect their status as a dependent child and exclude them from the parents application.
Thank u very much Leon,actually medical nd everything is done just waiting for PPR but I m single yet.That's why i m thinking about this I m living in United Kingdom.I wanna get marry after getting PR card in Canada.so how long I have to wait for spouse sponsor?Plz explain me i am not clear.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
dreamtocanada_uk said:
Thank u very much Leon,actually medical nd everything is done just waiting for PPR but I m single yet.That's why i m thinking about this I m living in United Kingdom.I wanna get marry after getting PR card in Canada.so how long I have to wait for spouse sponsor?Plz explain me i am not clear.
If you are single (and not in a common-law relationship), you could land in Canada in the morning, get married in the afternoon, and submit the application immediately following if you were prepared. There is no minimum time to be a PR before you can sponsor a spouse or partner.

JesseS

Dec 15, 2011
Hiiii! Awesome post, but it still leaves me with some questions!

The main one being, Can my PR girlfriend sponsor me to stay in Canada, or can her parents?

My girlfriend moved to Canada when she was 5 years old with her mom, whos a PR and her Dad, whos a citizen.
Ive spent over 2 years living Canada, with a trip back to the UK in between then and now, we've been together for over a year and come next year will have been living together for a year. Shes been to the UK twice and met all my family, and i've met all of hers too.

So what can be done?...if anything at all? I'm Currently here on my second work permit, and really don't wanna be going back to the UK, apart from each other again.

thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JesseS said:
The main one being, Can my PR girlfriend sponsor me to stay in Canada, or can her parents?
Her parents can't but she can if you have been living together as a couple for 12 months or more that you can prove (common law) or if you get married.

WaterDad

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2012
AOR Received.
31-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-03-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made-- 01/12/2012
Does the COPR come in regular mail (US) or Fed-ex and the like?

bassem132

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
syria
Category........
Visa Office......
amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03\02\2012
AOR Received.
01\03\2012
File Transfer...
02\03\2012
I submitted my application on February 3, 2012 and got a bail on 28 February and Akhaddt approval Alkiubik on 21 March and sent my file to Jordan on March 1 note I am Syrian, and my wife is Canadian citizenship as possible was the difficult situations in Syria was the reason for the acceleration of acceptance I do not know I wish success to everyone and have information you soo wait much after I passed the first stage

taoye143

Nov 2, 2012
Hi, I have a question. Would anyone help me?

I was not employed when I sent in the application in August. However, I was recently employed in October after my sponsorship was approved. Should I inform the officer the change of my employment status by sending in the original letter from my employer? Will that be a good thing to be employed?

Thanks!

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
Oct 4, 2012 9:00am
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
taoye143 said:
Hi, I have a question. Would anyone help me?

I was not employed when I sent in the application in August. However, I was recently employed in October after my sponsorship was approved. Should I inform the officer the change of my employment status by sending in the original letter from my employer? Will that be a good thing to be employed?

Thanks!
If you have been approved already there is no need....your file would have been transferred to your VO and you qualified so it does not matter!

dreamtocanada_uk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/02/2014
Doc's Request.
16/08/2014
AOR Received.
07/03/2014
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Don't know
Med's Request
15/02/2015
Med's Done....
16/02/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Not sure
computergeek said:
If you are single (and not in a common-law relationship), you could land in Canada in the morning, get married in the afternoon, and submit the application immediately following if you were prepared. There is no minimum time to be a PR before you can sponsor a spouse or partner.
Thank u very much Computergeek,I am clear now u r great.