+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great Blue Heron said:
I have a question and would love some answers!
I am a Canadian woman and am engaged to an amazing Nigerian man and we have been together for over a year. We plan to have our wedding in July 2016

He came in on a student visa and did a post grad diploma and then applied for an off campus work visa.
He missed the deadline to apply for a work visa and applied for a student visa planning to study another term. He was not able to go to school due to lack of funds so preceded to work to save up. (Will this disqualify him cause he didm;t go to school when he said he was going to?)

When his visa was about to expire he applied for a work visa and was denied. He has until the beginning of March so the pressure is on! He is now looking to apply for restoration of status and we are wondering about moving our wedding so we can then apply for spousal sponsorship once we get registered(married under law) this week.

I am wondering about the registry....Will it look weird to the visa officers that we got married without the big ceremony....because we are having that in July. As for the photos and such to support our wedding....we won't have evidence of that until July and we plan to apply for sponsorship before July.

My other concern is once we get legally married how likely is it that he will get an open work visa and eventually a PR card!? I can;t stand the thought of being separated after we are married and having to apply again for spousal sponsorship (with him in Nigeria and me here in Canada)

Please help!!!!
The rules changed on June 1, 2014 regarding those with study permits, because students were not studying.

If the student did not study for 90 days, the permit became invalid. If this is what happened to him, he may have already lost his status.

We will need more information (like dates when he was given his study permit and what the expiry date was, along with the date when he was no longer studying).

When does his current visa expire? March, or is that when his 90 day window closes for him to apply for Restoration of Status?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ponga said:
The rules changed on June 1, 2014 regarding those with study permits, because students were not studying.

If the student did not study for 90 days, the permit became invalid. If this is what happened to him, he may have already lost his status.

We will need more information (like dates when he was given his study permit and what the expiry date was, along with the date when he was no longer studying).

When does his current visa expire? March, or is that when his 90 day window closes for him to apply for Restoration of Status?
He's already out of status. You raise a good point about his study permit. It's possible it may have been canceled earlier. Although in that case the refusal letter should not have offered restoration as an option. It should have simply told him he's in Canada without status and needs to leave.

Great Blue Heron - what exactly did the refusal letter say? Did it specifically mention restoration?

Anyway - I really do think the restoration is a hail mary given the illegal work. But who knows.

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
groobi said:
Hi guys please help me.

I sent the spousal sponsorship application form in January but
came back saying I'm missing a form..stupid..I know..
They say I can resubmit the application once complete.
But I should pay the application fee of $1,040 again, right?
Really???? Do u have that much money to throw around ???...

If you have paid once and your application was returned, its as good as saying CiC is yet to receive your application, so the cash you paid the first time is still valid.

You dont need to pay again. Just include the form that you are missing and resend everything to cic.

India90

Mar 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
india new del. (ludhiana)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 feb 2015
File Transfer...
23 may 2015
Med's Request
11 jan 2016
Med's Done....
14 jan 2016
Passport Req..
9 feb 2016
VISA ISSUED...
13 feb 2016
LANDED..........
soon
cic send interview call after re medical or before tht ??? :( :(
office new delhi

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
India90 said:
cic send interview call after re medical or before tht ??? :( :(
office new delhi
Could be any time unfortunately. You can order notes for $5 and see if you have an interview recommended.

Feb 2, 2016
hello all,

i am new to the forum and a complete noob when it comes to immigration and i never wanted to leave bangladesh but the situation is now different i have had to change my decision.

our situation is a bit complex hence i seek advise and guidance from the people here on this forum who perhaps would have better experience and insight on our situation.

firstly , my wife and i were both previously married and i have a child who lives abroad with her mother and my wife's daughter lives with us in dhaka. We met sometime in march and got married in may in bangladesh. i should point out that she got her canadian citizenship after we got married and i am a bangladeshi citizen. But she has been living here in dhaka for the last few years or so. And since we got married, we have been living together along with my step daughter.

Anyways, she wants to move back now and wants to apply for my pr with the assistance of a legal counsel/lawyer.

My concerns are as follows:

1. Does the fact that we got married so soon after dating for only a few months make any difference?met in april , married in june
2. How much of an impact will educational difference make in our case? she has more education than me but i have had a longer career and i was last holding a country management level position at a global company in dhaka making close to 300,000 taka a month.
3. She is 33 and i am 40, any issues here?
4. As far as proof of relationship is concerned we have ample of that available with us. Call logs, photos, imessages, etc . We will also arrange letters from family and friends, neighbours etc
5. Would it be better to hire a lawyer ?
6. Her canadian divorce was only finalized in march due to complications and delays because of child custody issues in the canadian court. will this be an issue as well as the time from this and the date of our marriage is quite less.

Anything else that we should be concerned with?

Any help/guidance would be of immense help. Thank you in advance to those who make comments or provide suggestions.

DandM

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 24-03-2016: AOR2: 22-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA: 06-04-2016; CSQ appl. sent: 21-04-2016; CSQ Awarded: 19-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-01-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 5, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct. 15, 2016
LANDED..........
Very soon...
Hello guys,

Please help...

what document checklist should we attach for my sponsor, IMM 5491 or IMM 5443?

He's in Canada and I am in the Philippines.

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
DandM said:
Hello guys,

Please help...

what document checklist should we attach for my sponsor, IMM 5491 or IMM 5443?

He's in Canada and I am in the Philippines.

IMM 5491 - according to this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

CanadaspousePR

Feb 4, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am new here, I just became a Permanent residence I have applied under CEC in 2014 and it took almost 2 years because of big delay from CIC.
I have questions related for my spouse may be people asked a lot of time here, but I have no idea really and I am kind of confused that is why I am asking any answers will be appreciated.

I want to apply for my spouse now I got married back home, I have been working here (Canada) for 3 years I was on work permit. So do I need to show my taxes T4 ? that whatever I have paid. Because for one year I have got T4(A) and for 2 years I have T4. Is it will be the problem when I will file my papers for wife ?

Please advise, you answer will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Landagirl

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed 19/01/2017
Passport Req..
23/01/2017
VISA ISSUED...
08/02/2017
LANDED..........
02/06/2017
I have a question. My fiancé, US Citizen, at this time does not have a passport. We will probably be married before he actually has it and I want to start outland as soon as we are married. He is going to stay in the States to work for a bit so we can save up some more money.

Is a passport required prior to filling out and sending in our application? Or can we send it when it comes in?
I was quickly going over the the paperwork and it says name as stated on passport or travel drocuments, so am not sure what to put in there.

I am recently divorced and all my ID is in my exs last name, do I need to change that all to my new husbands last name or can I leave it like that and change all my ID over after we are finished with immigration?

Thanks for your help!

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
CanadaspousePR said:
Hi everyone,

I am new here, I just became a Permanent residence I have applied under CEC in 2014 and it took almost 2 years because of big delay from CIC.
I have questions related for my spouse may be people asked a lot of time here, but I have no idea really and I am kind of confused that is why I am asking any answers will be appreciated.

I want to apply for my spouse now I got married back home, I have been working here (Canada) for 3 years I was on work permit. So do I need to show my taxes T4 ? that whatever I have paid. Because for one year I have got T4(A) and for 2 years I have T4. Is it will be the problem when I will file my papers for wife ?

Please advise, you answer will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Firstly, did you get married before or after you became PR? If you were married before you officially landed and became PR did you declare your wife on your application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Landagirl said:
I have a question. My fiancé, US Citizen, at this time does not have a passport. We will probably be married before he actually has it and I want to start outland as soon as we are married. He is going to stay in the States to work for a bit so we can save up some more money.

Is a passport required prior to filling out and sending in our application? Or can we send it when it comes in?
I was quickly going over the the paperwork and it says name as stated on passport or travel drocuments, so am not sure what to put in there.

I am recently divorced and all my ID is in my exs last name, do I need to change that all to my new husbands last name or can I leave it like that and change all my ID over after we are finished with immigration?

Thanks for your help!
No - you don't need to change your ID now. Yes - your husband needs to get a passport now (mandatory to submit the sponsorship application).

CanadaspousePR

Feb 4, 2016
sunshinemrc said:
Firstly, did you get married before or after you became PR? If you were married before you officially landed and became PR did you declare your wife on your application?
Thanks for trying to help me,

No I did not include anything about my wife, because I got married after my PR.

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
CanadaspousePR said:

CanadaspousePR said:

You can go ahead and file the sponsorship for your wife. There is no minimum income requirement, and no need to prove your prior income for spousal sponsorship.

The only caveat is, because you are a PR you have to remain in Canada during the sponsorship processing, a short visit to see your wife or travel elsewhere (1-3 weeks) are ok.

fr33z3n

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
perfectstranger1009 said:
hello all,

i am new to the forum and a complete noob when it comes to immigration and i never wanted to leave bangladesh but the situation is now different i have had to change my decision.

our situation is a bit complex hence i seek advise and guidance from the people here on this forum who perhaps would have better experience and insight on our situation.

firstly , my wife and i were both previously married and i have a child who lives abroad with her mother and my wife's daughter lives with us in dhaka. We met sometime in march and got married in may in bangladesh. i should point out that she got her canadian citizenship after we got married and i am a bangladeshi citizen. But she has been living here in dhaka for the last few years or so. And since we got married, we have been living together along with my step daughter.

Anyways, she wants to move back now and wants to apply for my pr with the assistance of a legal counsel/lawyer.

My concerns are as follows:

1. Does the fact that we got married so soon after dating for only a few months make any difference?met in april , married in june
2. How much of an impact will educational difference make in our case? she has more education than me but i have had a longer career and i was last holding a country management level position at a global company in dhaka making close to 300,000 taka a month.
3. She is 33 and i am 40, any issues here?
4. As far as proof of relationship is concerned we have ample of that available with us. Call logs, photos, imessages, etc . We will also arrange letters from family and friends, neighbours etc
5. Would it be better to hire a lawyer ?
6. Her canadian divorce was only finalized in march due to complications and delays because of child custody issues in the canadian court. will this be an issue as well as the time from this and the date of our marriage is quite less.

Anything else that we should be concerned with?

Any help/guidance would be of immense help. Thank you in advance to those who make comments or provide suggestions.
Each case is different and it will depend on the officer handling your file and how much proof of relationship you can supply.

1. Yes it will look weird that you married so soon after her divorce, however if you have strong proof of relationship it will help, include picture with BOTH families (yours and hers. Also if you are called in for an interview and I think you will be, this will only cause a delay in your file.

2. They do look at this but if you show compatibility it will help

3. Non issue

4. this is very important, but letter from friends and neighbors have small impact

5. honestly, I cant say not to hire a lawyer if it makes you feel better or if you need help in completing your file. but a lawyer wont be able to do anything in terms of speed or impacting your file once submitted, you may need to hire a lawyer later in case of a refusal. But this is really up to you.

6. look at answer 1