+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

fr33z3n

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
dalida said:
Hi.I have only one 32 year old son in Europe.He does not have a sister brothers.i want to live here together.can i sponsor him?
For Family Sponsorship purposes, a dependent child means a child who is:

Under 19 and unmarried on the date the application for sponsorship is submitted (and still unmarried on the date the child lands in Canada);

or

Of any age or marital status and is a continuously enrolled full-time student, who is financially dependent on his or her parents since before the age of 19 (or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner, if this happened before 19);

or

Is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 19 because of a disability.

So basically Yes if he has been a full time student before the age of 18 till now, or has a disability before the age of 19 and is dependent on you financially

mirko86

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
fr33z3n said:
When accessing your eCas file. Both of you will have your own numbers.

Hers will be Client ID number. Which will show the status of her Sponsorship Application as Well as the status of your Permanent Resident Application.

Yours will be a file number, where you will be Able to see only the status of your Permanent Resident Application
This is a good sign? :)

CrazyCanada

Dec 25, 2014
Canada,duh?
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
AOR1 - 01.07.2016 | AOR2 - 19.08.2016
File Transfer...
SA/File Transfer - 08.08.2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sent Along with App
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
sunshinemrc said:
Unfortunately yes, you have a very big problem on your hands. With the visa you would have been instructed to contact CIC if anything changes in your circumstances, including your marital status.

Also when you landed the officer would have asked you if the information on the CoPR is correct and if there have been any changes before you signed that document. I'm assuming you said no changes, all correct so they allowed you to land. If at this point you would tell them you are now married they would not let you land and activate your CoPR.

furthermore, another problem is, that if you do apply you risk your own PR as by not declaring your wife on landing you committed misrepresentation.

As for option C it's not a "must have" as long as you provide a written explanation that same is not available as you have not filed taxes in Canada yet.
Ponga said:
So...you received your CoPR in March...got married in June...and then landed in July, after you were married?

If so, you can never sponsor your wife.
So what are my options here ? I need to get my wife here in Canada
This has got me worried now...

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
CrazyCanada said:
The only option now is for her to come to Canada under another immigration stream (as she is excluded from family stream) and apply for PR independently. Look at express entry and any provincial nominee programs. Also she could try to come here on a study permit and once her studies are completed she could apply for a work permit. And hopefully through one of these programs she can apply for her PR.

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
CrazyCanada said:
You can do a little bit more research, just so you are aware what you are up against. based on the info we have here your wife would be excluded under Section 117(9)(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (the “Regulations” or “IRPR“).

fr33z3n

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
mirko86 said:
This is a good sign? :)
Without further information , all I can really say is , Her application was accepted to sponsor you and your application for permanent resident has started.

Best of Luck!

fr33z3n

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
CrazyCanada said:
Where were you married? what is her status in Canada, where are you residing in Canada?

mirko86

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
fr33z3n said:
Without further information , all I can really say is , Her application was accepted to sponsor you and your application for permanent resident has started.

Best of Luck!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
fr33z3n said:
There are no income requirements for sponsoring your spouse. All the sponsor needs to show is that they're not on any sort of social assistance or other financial trouble (ie owe money for child support or are bankrupt).
Incorrect. There is no MINIMUM income requirement for spousal sponsorship. However, a couple must show that they will be able to support themselves in Canada without welfare. CIC can and has refused apps based on financial reasons.

fr33z3n said:
For Family Sponsorship purposes, a dependent child means a child who is:

Of any age or marital status and is a continuously enrolled full-time student, who is financially dependent on his or her parents since before the age of 19 (or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner, if this happened before 19);

So basically Yes if he has been a full time student before the age of 18 till now
Incorrect. The exemption for students over 19 who are still financially dependent on their parents was removed in 2014.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CrazyCanada said:
As the others have said, she should be looking at ways to immigrate independently.

Otherwise, it has been suggested by some senior members to others in the same situation as you that they could renounce their PR status and reapply (provided they still qualify) with the spouse included.

Siempreamor

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Hi! I need some advise and would be very much appreciate. I'm Canadian and sponsoring my husband via the Outland sponsorship application. We are in permanent residency in progress part of the application. We finally found out about what the correspondence stated. My husband has a son from previous relationship and CIC is asking for his son's certificate.
I was wondering that once we submit his son's birth certificate, how much longer does it take.
Thank you for your assistance.

fr33z3n

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Incorrect. There is no MINIMUM income requirement for spousal sponsorship. However, a couple must show that they will be able to support themselves in Canada without welfare. CIC can and has refused apps based on financial reasons.
Based on your own answer I'm not sure how my answer is "incorrect"

canuck_in_uk said:
Incorrect. The exemption for students over 19 who are still financially dependent on their parents was removed in 2014.
what I wrote was taken from the CIC website last night.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
fr33z3n said:
You should ask a lawyer about this, but I think you should get divorce then remarry, before you sponsor her, that might work, but again ask a lawyer.
No, that will not work. CIC closed that loophole.

They committed misrepresentation by landing as single when they were in fact married. The spouse is forever excluded from being sponsored under family class.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
fr33z3n said:
I didnt know that, does this also have a negative effect on him going forward?
It is possible that he could have issues in the future. Since he obtained his PR by misrepresentation, CIC could decide to revoke it. From what we've seen here, however, CIC generally does not take action in these cases.