+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
"Nays" in the sense of "do you agree to the amendments" and of course...the Con nitwits said "Nay". They will come together for a formal vote soon

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, i really cant wait for this all to over with, its sooooooooo tiring.
for now i will just wait for the Minister to declare a date.
we gotta do what we gotta do, live, work, study, and most importantly, enjoy life.
Good luck

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
a citizen staying abroad can't sponsor his/her spouse for PR unless they make plans to return back to canada. in some cases, they are forced to renounce their visa/travel cards in the current country of residence.
It seems like an 'intent to reside' to me. No?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
admontreal said:
It seems like an 'intent to reside' to me. No?
canadians staying abroad always had less privilege so to speak. nothing new. in fact there are times when canadians living abroad have the odd chances of producing stateless babies. certain countries won't even give citizenship to kids born there unless the parents are citizens.

ex: a second generation canadian residing in japan

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
chakrab said:
canadians staying abroad always had less privilege so to speak. nothing new. in fact there are times when canadians living abroad have the odd chances of producing stateless babies. certain countries won't even give citizenship to kids born there unless the parents are citizens.
Regarding spousal sponsorship, the rule applies equally to all citizens who are currently residing abroad, so it's not really two classes of citizenship. I agree about the first generation rule though.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
chakrab said:
a citizen staying abroad can't sponsor his/her spouse for PR unless they make plans to return back to canada. in some cases, they are forced to renounce their visa/travel cards in the current country of residence.

so suppose a canadian working in abu dhabi marry an indian just as he starts his 2 years work there. he can't start his sponsorship for his wife to canada till the end of work period, at which time the spouse may not be able to return back with him to canada.
There is no distinction between citizens in this regard. You are confusing the rules for PR's (who must reside in Canada to sponsor a spouse) and Citizens (who can sponsor a spouse from overseas but must demonstrate intent to return to Canada).

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
There is no distinction between citizens in this regard. You are confusing the rules for PR's (who must reside in Canada to sponsor a spouse) and Citizens (who can sponsor a spouse from overseas but must demonstrate intent to return to Canada).
am talking about citizens who don't intend to reside in canada. like a canadian who is working in asia and has an asian wife. what if they only want to visit canada from time to time? currently it's pretty tough to get visitor visa for spouses.

so again two types, citizens who intend to stay in canada and citizens who dont. one can't be forced to return to canada just to bring their spouse with them.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:

ex: a second generation canadian residing in japan
Yes, and I sent an email to the NDP Opposition critic asking why this stupid loophole wasn't adressed and she told me that it's worthless to suggest amendments

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
chakrab said:
am talking about citizens who don't intend to reside in canada. like an canadian who is working in asia and has an asian wife. what if they only want to visit canada from time to time? currently it's pretty tough to get visitor visa for spouses.

so again two types, citizens who intend to stay in canada and citizens who dont. one can't be forced to return to canada just to bring their spouse with them.
A citizen who doesn't intend to reside in Canada is not allowed to sponsor. As the same rule applies to ALL citizens (born in Canada or naturalized), this does not constitute "two classes of citizenship" as you asserted.

As for the spouse, if they just want to visit Canada, they can get a TRV...there is no need for them to become a permanent RESIDENT.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
A citizen who doesn't intend to reside in Canada is not allowed to sponsor. As the same rule applies to ALL citizens (born in Canada or naturalized), this does not constitute "two classes of citizenship" as you asserted.

As for the spouse, if they just want to visit Canada, they can get a TRV...there is no need for them to become a permanent RESIDENT.
they won't give TRVs to spouses in many countries. the consulate is worried that they wont come back. when i contacted one of the consulate, they flatly said that spouses only can apply for PRs. no visitor visas. why do you think spouses from certain countries, like middle east, have to wait for 3 years to see their citizen spouse.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
chakrab said:
they won't give TRVs to spouses in many countries. the consulate is worried that they wont come back. when i contacted one of the consulate, they flatly said that spouses only can apply for PRs. no visitor visas. why do you think spouses from certain countries, like middle east, have to wait for 3 years to see their citizen spouse.
If they only want to "visit", it's extremely unlikely that they would meet the Residency Obligations anyway then...

Audio feed restarted... Voting on amendments.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:

dual citizenship rule applies to ALL citizens as well, born in canada or naturalized, and it still creates two classes of citizenship. when the same rule differentiates between citizens, it creates differentiation.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
If they only want to "visit", it's extremely unlikely that they would meet the Residency Obligations anyway then...

Audio feed restarted... Voting on amendments.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
there are people who don't want to be PR, just visit. but many officers are paranoid that once the spouse enters canada they wont return.

it's not something raised by me, but rather quite a number of citizens who have to leave work for a year or so, just to get the spouse their PR and then return back. staying with the citizen gives the spouse full PR residency anyway.

these are big loopholes that citizens are using. it's kind of stupid to have such loopholes which serves no benefit.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Any thoughts on the following?

Empirical-Scientist said:
Does anybody know if the clause regarding the residency requirement will be one of those coming into effect immediately? I'm referring to the 4/6 years as well as to the fact that previous residency time does not count...