+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
alphazip said:
This document (http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/LegislativeSummaries/41/2/c24-e.pdf) states that most of the provisions of C-24 will take effect on "a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council". Section 2.9.3.2 specifically identifies these "subsequent" changes as including "new requirements for naturalization and revocation". So, the date when applications for citizenship will have to conform to the new law is still unknown, and may not even be this year.

Again...they do NOT take effect immediately!
Thanks for this -- it's not because I have to apply in a month that I'm concerned, but about the fact that in the future, Canadian citizenship will be like clothes that others can just rip off from you...

trunorth

Star Member
Jan 21, 2014
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
This document (http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/LegislativeSummaries/41/2/c24-e.pdf) states that most of the provisions of C-24 will take effect on "a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council". Section 2.9.3.2 specifically identifies these "subsequent" changes as including "new requirements for naturalization and revocation". So, the date when applications for citizenship will have to conform to the new law is still unknown, and may not even be this year.

Again...they do NOT take effect immediately!
It can be ANYTIME! Even tomorrow morning!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trunorth said:
I am a month away from applying for Citizenship. Feel cheated that when I applied for PR it was 3 years after that I was able to apply for Citizenship. It's ok Canada. I will wait another year! No harm to me. But I ain't voting the Cons when I become a Citizen.

Now let's hope this government lowers our taxes and creates more jobs for everyone. Will they do it? I guess not!
So you'll wait another year even if you don't have to?? The section of C-24 dealing with "number of years" does NOT take effect immediately. You might have a month...or 6 months. We don't know yet.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trunorth said:
It can be ANYTIME! Even tomorrow morning!
If it were going to be tomorrow morning, they would have written it in such a way that it comes into force upon Royal Assent. Since they didn't write it that way, they obviously need more time to get ready for the changes. We can only hope that they need a long time.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
alphazip said:
If it were going to be tomorrow morning, they would have written it in such a way that it comes into force upon Royal Assent. Since they didn't write it that way, they obviously need more time to get ready for the changes. We can only hope that they need a long time.
It's a matter of hoping, and as such it's precarious... Besides CIC is quite unpredictable when it comes to issuing new forms unexpectedly...

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
I will vote to any party except conservatives when I become Canadian citizen , all my children will vote to other parties, but never to conservatives

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good to see people talking about elections and voting rights, rather than leaving the country. that's the positive attitude.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Desert Lion said:
I will vote to any party except conservatives when I become Canadian citizen , all my children will vote to other parties, but never to conservatives
Then I guess we should thank people who think like yourself for C-24...

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Empirical-Scientist said:
It's a matter of hoping, and as such it's precarious... Besides CIC is quite unpredictable when it comes to issuing new forms unexpectedly...
Yes, well, part of the law comes into force immediately...including the part giving citizenship to people with Canadian ancestry (i.e. the "Lost Canadians"). The fact that they didn't make the entire law come into effect immediately means that they knew they needed prep time. The prep time obviously isn't going to be one day or one week.

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
Desert Lion,

You were the one very sure of the bill being passed around this time. What's your source?

Congratulations btw, on being right! You win :).

trunorth

Star Member
Jan 21, 2014
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I never had any intentions to leave Canada. I moved here after many years in the US for a safe and better life. I've enjoyed it so far and was looking forward to becoming Canadian. This government has made me angry and it's put a bitter taste in my mouth about politics here. Back in the US, where true and real democracy exist, this bill would have been thrown out. I've got only nice things to say about this country and the people here but I have NOTHING nice to say about these politicians. I am truly disappointed today. Feel cheated!!!

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trunorth said:
I never had any intentions to leave Canada. I moved here after many years in the US for a safe and better life. I've enjoyed it so far and was looking forward to becoming Canadian. This government has made me angry and it's put a bitter taste in my mouth about politics here. Back in the US, where true and real democracy exist, this bill would have been thrown out. I've got only nice things to say about this country and the people here but I have NOTHING nice to say about these politicians. I am truly disappointed today. Feel cheated!!!
Exactly same feeling. Thanks for your words.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trunorth said:
USA is not a democracy, it's a republic :)