+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wait time between PPR and CoPR

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Definitely a little snag in this plan! Even though our application was outland with spouse outside of Canada, IRCC must see from their end that my spouse is currently visiting. Today, instead of PPR, we received what I assume are the steps for virtual landing (telling us to expect a portal invitation and requesting info about being present in Canada.) My spouse currently has a ticket to return to the US in mid-April and was planning to wait and do a physical move. I am thinking we have two options:

1) Respond to the email that they are in Canada, cancel the April ticket and proceed with virtual landing. I believe that would mean we are going to be waiting in Canada several weeks/months until we get the PR card, and then I’m not sure when/how we are able to bring all their belongings to Canada duty-free.

2) Respond to the email advising them that (even though my spouse is in Canada now) my spouse plans to leave Canada soon and request a traditional landing. Presumably that could result in some details, as well, and my spouse could leave in April and then be waiting around for COPR at their residence apart from me, as well.
Is your spouse a US citizen?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Then there's not much issue, I'd wait until she gets the eCOPR that she is a PR, and after that go down and move up.

She could do some combination but they do want her to remain until that's received. There's at least a reasonable chance they'll do quickly since they know she's here and initiated the procedure themselves. Start the process and heopfully will be done soon.

she can still do the move with her belongings duty free, she is here now as a visitor and even though her status will change, they'll treat her coming up or shipping items as the first time move.

KClaire

Dec 4, 2023
Then there's not much issue, I'd wait until she gets the eCOPR that she is a PR, and after that go down and move up.

She could do some combination but they do want her to remain until that's received. There's at least a reasonable chance they'll do quickly since they know she's here and initiated the procedure themselves. Start the process and heopfully will be done soon.

she can still do the move with her belongings duty free, she is here now as a visitor and even though her status will change, they'll treat her coming up or shipping items as the first time move.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
I'm also returning to the US LOL. Got a concert.

Bet yes to answer the questions;
*Do you mind sharing your experience going through immigration at the airport?
I drove from Chicagoland through the Detroit/Windsor point of entry. So My experience may be slightly different

*Required documents: COPR sheet with the photos attached, Passport, Personal Effects and Accounting document.
I also made and printed out an excel workbook which broke down a list of everything I had, so all the electronics was 1 category, etc.

*Did you went to the kiosk first and then got directed to an officer?
Again as I drove, may be different, but I went through the normal system then was directed to customs office.

*How long do you have to wait? What kind of questions they asked you?
Wait time was around 30 minutes. Was asked to verify my new address, date of birth, full name, and if I had other goods arriving at a later date. Then in my case me and the officer walked to my moving truck, and he went over the list I had and just verified a couple high priority items. Like my 3D Printer, PC tower, and some of my other hobby items.

*Although I will have to come back to the US a week after landing for family matters so I'm still worry how I'll get back to Canada after that haha.
Passport will get a stamp that shows you've landed, bring that and a copy of the COPR when you cross till the PR card arrives.
Hi Rocklobser, sorry to bother you. So I was reading through the letter that came with my COPR and it says two lists of goods are required. How would I go in getting this lists? I go to the two websites listed in the letter and it just led me to the home page lol. If you can direct me in the right direction that would be much appreciate!

Samtasharm

Dec 31, 2022
Hi everyone! We got our PPR yesterday and sent through UPS. VFS said only use fedex but the drop-down option only prompted with UPS. Is that what everyone else used as well? Also how long would you predict for COPR after this step? Do our passport scans also go to CPC Ottawa?

Jess24

Feb 2, 2023
Hey, I received two emails for PPR for Outland spousal. (PA resides in USA, Indian passport holder) 1st one received on April 30/2024 to submit passport to Ottawa CPC and second one received today (May 01/2024) to submit passport to VAC in New York (Our VO was New York). I called IRCC and agent told me to follow recent Request, but also said to contact New York VAC to confirm. I can't reach New York VAC.
Any suggestions where we should send passport?