12-01-2023
Med's Done....
24-01-2023
Passport Req..
26-02-2024
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2024
Hello all!

I am curious to know, is there an average/known wait time between a submitted passport for PPR and receiving the CoPR?

My wife is an US citizen so she will just need to submit a photocopy of her passport, not the passport itself. She plans to do this after she returns home from a trip here next week (she got her PPR Feb 26).

Her medical exam expires in Oct, so I assume that means her CoPR will expire then as well. We are doing outland as she is still in the US currently.

Is there an expected wait time between her turning in the required documents and getting her CoPR? Or is that another "wait and see" sort of thing?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello all!

I am curious to know, is there an average/known wait time between a submitted passport for PPR and receiving the CoPR?

My wife is an US citizen so she will just need to submit a photocopy of her passport, not the passport itself. She plans to do this after she returns home from a trip here next week (she got her PPR Feb 26).

Her medical exam expires in Oct, so I assume that means her CoPR will expire then as well. We are doing outland as she is still in the US currently.

Is there an expected wait time between her turning in the required documents and getting her CoPR? Or is that another "wait and see" sort of thing?
It's really just administrative, 2-4 weeks a good overall guess. (For outland, depending a bit on country)

KClaire

Dec 4, 2023
Just curious - what is your thought process on waiting until she returns to the US before sending, if she doesn't have to send her physical passport? Is that a requirement, or a practical thing for you?

thatstupiddeer

Jan 24, 2023
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-10-2022
AOR Received.
05-01-2023
Med's Request
12-01-2023
Med's Done....
24-01-2023
Passport Req..
26-02-2024
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2024
Just curious - what is your thought process on waiting until she returns to the US before sending, if she doesn't have to send her physical passport? Is that a requirement, or a practical thing for you?
It's just a practical thing for us. Between work and preparing for her trip here, she doesn't have much time to get the photos done and get into the city to drop her stuff off at the VAC in NY, but she'll have more time to do that once she's back home. She's only here for ~10 days, so we'll still have plenty of time before the 30 day deadline.

KClaire

Dec 4, 2023
It's just a practical thing for us. Between work and preparing for her trip here, she doesn't have much time to get the photos done and get into the city to drop her stuff off at the VAC in NY, but she'll have more time to do that once she's back home. She's only here for ~10 days, so we'll still have plenty of time before the 30 day deadline.

Good to know! Thanks. Hope all goes well!

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Hello, I (PA, US citizen) got PPR request 1/23/2024 and sent photo copy of passport and 2 photos per PPR request to VAC in NY. VAC NY received my package by 1/29/2024 and sent it over to CPC-Ottawa. It is now currently under process at the IRCC Office (assuming CPC-Ottawa in this case) on 2/2/2024 based on the tracker by VFS global. So it's been about 4 weeks and a couple days as of this post since it's been sitting at "processing" at IRCC office...starting to get worry at this point haha...

I read some got their within 1 or 2 weeks and up to 3 weeks. Some have not heard a thing for 4 to 6 months...

Official online tracker have not been update since 1/23/2024 and so is GCKey tracker.

I'll update here if anything. Hoping maybe to get something this weekday, hopefully...

Medical and COPR expired October 2024 based on tracker so finger cross to get the official document soon.

nyantaro19

Star Member
Feb 7, 2024
Category........
Other
Hello, I (PA, US citizen) got PPR request 1/23/2024 and sent photo copy of passport and 2 photos per PPR request to VAC in NY. VAC NY received my package by 1/29/2024 and sent it over to CPC-Ottawa. It is now currently under process at the IRCC Office (assuming CPC-Ottawa in this case) on 2/2/2024 based on the tracker by VFS global. So it's been about 4 weeks and a couple days as of this post since it's been sitting at "processing" at IRCC office...starting to get worry at this point haha...

I read some got their within 1 or 2 weeks and up to 3 weeks. Some have not heard a thing for 4 to 6 months...

Official online tracker have not been update since 1/23/2024 and so is GCKey tracker.

I'll update here if anything. Hoping maybe to get something this weekday, hopefully...

Medical and COPR expired October 2024 based on tracker so finger cross to get the official document soon.
I might be on the same track as you. Almost 3 weeks now and nothing, no updates or anything

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If she isn’t in Canada she doesn’t qualify for virtual landing and will need to send in her passport. Normally you are sent an email before being sent virtual landing to confirm that you are currently in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's really just administrative, 2-4 weeks a good overall guess. (For outland, depending a bit on country)
2-4 weeks is often not the reality while 1-2 months is probably more realistic and sadly have seen many wait longer. Depends on how much of a backlog exists at the moment at that struggled with. Sometimes wait for virtual landing is much longer than wait for passport stamping. In this case if abroad passport stamping is the only true option.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
2-4 weeks is often not the reality while 1-2 months is probably more realistic and sadly have seen many wait longer. Depends on how much of a backlog exists at the moment at that struggled with. Sometimes wait for virtual landing is much longer than wait for passport stamping. In this case if abroad passport stamping is the only true option.
I was referring to outland. I haven't seen many PPR submissions take longer than 4 weeks (from submission to receipt of stamped passport), really any that I recall. USA may be an exception, don't know.

SNE27

Feb 20, 2024

Hello, I sent mine on Jan 18 to NY VFS. They forwarded it to IRCC on Jan 23. It is under process at IRCC since Jan 23 2024. No updates till now. Please keep me posted if you receive any update. Do you have a dependent passport also? Or a single passport?

Last edited:

KClaire

Dec 4, 2023
If she isn’t in Canada she doesn’t qualify for virtual landing and will need to send in her passport. Normally you are sent an email before being sent virtual landing to confirm that you are currently in Canada.
My question was more from the opposite angle. Even though she is in Canada, could she send her photocopy passport immediately to get the process going or is it a requirement to send from her home country? This is probably not a recommended suggestion for those who are required to send their physical passports, because it seems risky to be without one's passport as a visitor, but for visa-exempt countries.

...And generally, can the PA conduct the PPR stage from within Canada as though they are in their home country, or is it required to be a virtual landing if they are within Canada at the time of PPR? (I'm applying this to my own situation, obviously. My spouse/PA plans to do a physical move as soon as possible after COPR, but we would also like them to stay together in Canada as long as possible up until the sooner of their move or their visitor status expires, A virtual landing seems to take a lot of time and would delay the move.)

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My question was more from the opposite angle. Even though she is in Canada, could she send her photocopy passport immediately to get the process going or is it a requirement to send from her home country? This is probably not a recommended suggestion for those who are required to send their physical passports, because it seems risky to be without one's passport as a visitor, but for visa-exempt countries.

...And generally, can the PA conduct the PPR stage from within Canada as though they are in their home country, or is it required to be a virtual landing if they are within Canada at the time of PPR? (I'm applying this to my own situation, obviously. My spouse/PA plans to do a physical move as soon as possible after COPR, but we would also like them to stay together in Canada as long as possible up until the sooner of their move or their visitor status expires, A virtual landing seems to take a lot of time and would delay the move.)
Haven't heard of any such cases (at least since they started doing virtual landings during covid) but don't see why you can't try.

-No guarantees of course but don't see any harm in trying it. Worst they can do is send it back unprocessed. Make sure return address outside Canada shown clearly.
-If it comes up why this way instead of virtual landing, if anyone asks - she would prefer because of travel.
-It might take longer than virtual landing - hard to say.
-She would have to leave and return via physical border/airport port of entry to complete the landing procedure.

Reactions: KClaire

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Hello, I sent mine on Jan 18 to NY VFS. They forwarded it to IRCC on Jan 23. It is under process at IRCC since Jan 23 2024. No updates till now. Please keep me posted if you receive any update. Do you have a dependent passport also? Or a single passport?
I am by myself, no dependent. You going on 6 weeks and nothing and here I thought I'll get something this week, guess I'm just dreaming haha. It'll be 5 weeks by this Friday for me. At this point, they must be either busy as heck or since USA don't required sending in physical passport, this makes it longer, maybe.

Houa

Mar 3, 2024

I don't see any rule that you have to be in the US to send your passport. You can honestly can send from anywhere as long as the return address is in the states. The thing is that she will have to send a photo copy of her passport along with two current permanent resident photos of herself (Canada specification, which she can just go get easily since she is in Canada. It's a bit harder to get the right size in the states. It took me a while to look around and most photo studios charge very high price for 2 photos) to the VAC in NY from Canada and then NY VAC will send it back to CPC-Ottawa in Canada haha.

Reactions: KClaire