+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wait time between PPR and CoPR

SNE27

Feb 20, 2024
I am by myself, no dependent. You going on 6 weeks and nothing and here I thought I'll get something this week, guess I'm just dreaming haha. It'll be 5 weeks by this Friday for me. At this point, they must be either busy as heck or since USA don't required sending in physical passport, this makes it longer, maybe.
I sent my original passport to NY VFS. USA is not my home country I'm here on a visa. So they need my physical passport for the COPR. But lets hope we both receive an update this week :) . Its very difficult without a passport and its my only identity here in USA.

KClaire

Dec 4, 2023
I don't see any rule that you have to be in the US to send your passport. You can honestly can send from anywhere as long as the return address is in the states. The thing is that she will have to send a photo copy of her passport along with two current permanent resident photos of herself (Canada specification, which she can just go get easily since she is in Canada. It's a bit harder to get the right size in the states. It took me a while to look around and most photo studios charge very high price for 2 photos) to the VAC in NY from Canada and then NY VAC will send it back to CPC-Ottawa in Canada haha.
Thanks! That's helpful. Did your PPR instructions specify whether you personally have to sign for the COPR package at your return address?

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
I sent my original passport to NY VFS. USA is not my home country I'm here on a visa. So they need my physical passport for the COPR. But lets hope we both receive an update this week :) . Its very difficult without a passport and its my only identity here in USA.
Dang, you have it rough. Did you tried webform them? Based on the PPR letter if you have not heard from them for 4 weeks, you can webform them and tell them your situation. Especially when you need your passport as your only source of identification.

Last edited:

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Thanks! That's helpful. Did your PPR instructions specify whether you personally have to sign for the COPR package at your return address?
There is no indicator of such in the PPR letter. It would just be like a regular delivery. I bought VFS global NY VAC two-ways courier so what will happen is that I send my package to NY VAC, NY VAC send it to CPC-Ottawa, CPC-Ottawa send it back to NY VAC, NY VAC send it to my home address. This process uses UPS as courier and knowing UPS, they will just drop the package at the front door haha.

Reactions: KClaire

SNE27

Feb 20, 2024
Dang, you have it rough. Did you tried webform them? Based on the PPR letter if you have not heard from them for 4 weeks, you can webform them and tell them your situation. Especially when you need your passport as your only source of identification.
Yes, I raised a webform for which I'm waiting for their response from past 2 weeks. Now, I just pray that they realize the fact they are having my physical passport all these weeks. :(

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Yes, I raised a webform for which I'm waiting for their response from past 2 weeks. Now, I just pray that they realize the fact they are having my physical passport all these weeks. :(
Hello brother, any update on your end?

SNE27

Feb 20, 2024
I visited them and got to know for COPR requests, IRCC Newyork is now taking 2 to 3 months to process.

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
I visited them and got to know for COPR requests, IRCC Newyork is now taking 2 to 3 months to process.
Hi brother, so you went to CPC-Ottawa in Canada or the VAC in New York? Because when I asked the VAC in New York, they told me that they have no control over the processing time.

nyantaro19

Star Member
Feb 7, 2024
Category........
Other
Hi brother, so you went to CPC-Ottawa in Canada or the VAC in New York? Because when I asked the VAC in New York, they told me that they have no control over the processing time.
All VACs do not have control over processing times when it comes to stamping. It is up to the respective Embassy/IRCC office's discretion when they return the processed passport.

Rocklobser

Mar 12, 2024
I'm in similar boat. Wife is a Canadian citizen and I'm a US citizen from Chicago. Sent over the scan of my passport along with photos to the VAC in New York.
Received on 2/2/24 according to website. Currently being Processed with no status update. My work contract ended last week, so I'm currently unemployed. Was just gonna enjoy this mini vacation till I get the COPR, but without a proper time estimate I don't think I could financially do that anymore.

thatstupiddeer

Jan 24, 2023
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-10-2022
AOR Received.
05-01-2023
Med's Request
12-01-2023
Med's Done....
24-01-2023
Passport Req..
26-02-2024
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2024
My question was more from the opposite angle. Even though she is in Canada, could she send her photocopy passport immediately to get the process going or is it a requirement to send from her home country? This is probably not a recommended suggestion for those who are required to send their physical passports, because it seems risky to be without one's passport as a visitor, but for visa-exempt countries.

...And generally, can the PA conduct the PPR stage from within Canada as though they are in their home country, or is it required to be a virtual landing if they are within Canada at the time of PPR? (I'm applying this to my own situation, obviously. My spouse/PA plans to do a physical move as soon as possible after COPR, but we would also like them to stay together in Canada as long as possible up until the sooner of their move or their visitor status expires, A virtual landing seems to take a lot of time and would delay the move.)
We considered sending it from here, but the main concern was the VAC getting it on time. Stuff can get stuck at the border, delivery times are slow sometimes for various reasons, etc. So, we decided it would be easier for her to just go to the NY VAC once she was back in NY. She's planning to go today, as she got back into the US yesterday evening.

We did get the photos done here in Canada, though. We figured it would be easier and cheaper for her, and we can make sure that they're to the specs that IRCC wants since they're done in Canada.

I know that the letter stated that if the PA was going to be in Canada for at least the next two months following the PPR, then they could be landed virtually. Otherwise, it would still be the outland process.

Reactions: KClaire

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
I'm in similar boat. Wife is a Canadian citizen and I'm a US citizen from Chicago. Sent over the scan of my passport along with photos to the VAC in New York.
Received on 2/2/24 according to website. Currently being Processed with no status update. My work contract ended last week, so I'm currently unemployed. Was just gonna enjoy this mini vacation till I get the COPR, but without a proper time estimate I don't think I could financially do that anymore.
Dang, you have it rough. We are pretty much in the same time line. Mine still being process since 2/2/24 on the VAC status tracker. I do however got an official response from IRCC after 3 weeks and a half since I sent in a Webform. It is pretty generic like any other response haha...:

"Good day,
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
We verified the information you provided and can confirm that your application is still in process.
At this time, all required documents and information have been received by the responsible office."

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
We considered sending it from here, but the main concern was the VAC getting it on time. Stuff can get stuck at the border, delivery times are slow sometimes for various reasons, etc. So, we decided it would be easier for her to just go to the NY VAC once she was back in NY. She's planning to go today, as she got back into the US yesterday evening.

We did get the photos done here in Canada, though. We figured it would be easier and cheaper for her, and we can make sure that they're to the specs that IRCC wants since they're done in Canada.

I know that the letter stated that if the PA was going to be in Canada for at least the next two months following the PPR, then they could be landed virtually. Otherwise, it would still be the outland process.
Hopefully you guys have it drop off at the VAC today. Wait time seems to be pretty long. Mine and one another on this post are going at 6 weeks by this Friday and another at 7 or 8 weeks already. Unless time is not an issue for you guys.

thatstupiddeer

Jan 24, 2023
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-10-2022
AOR Received.
05-01-2023
Med's Request
12-01-2023
Med's Done....
24-01-2023
Passport Req..
26-02-2024
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2024
Hopefully you guys have it drop off at the VAC today. Wait time seems to be pretty long. Mine and one another on this post are going at 6 weeks by this Friday and another at 7 or 8 weeks already. Unless time is not an issue for you guys.
She dropped it off just this morning!

I've seen that :confused:. I'm hoping ours won't be too bad of a wait... I'm not expecting to hear anything for at least a month right now. I believe her medical exam will expire in Oct, so as long as she gets her CoPR before then, we'll be fine. Don't like to wait, but there's not much we can do about that!