+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wait time between PPR and CoPR

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That's awesome man! Do you mind sharing your experience going through immigration at the airport? Like, what are the required documents? Did you went to the kiosk first and then got directed to an officer? How long do you have to wait? What kind of questions they asked you?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. My landing will be 3/30/24! Although I will have to come back to the US a week after landing for family matters so I'm still worry how I'll get back to Canada after that haha.
Our family arrival was at tail end of covid so to some degree stuff may have changed since then. But the immigration stuff likely least of all.
P
-Whether you go to kiosk or not, you'll have to go to secondary. I believe we went straight to the immigration officer (primary) and bypassed the kiosk - but this was when everhone went to the officer after kiosk anyway, don't know if you can do that now. I'd still be comfortable just going to the officer and saying "PR arriving for landing procedure, can I go to secondary?" (What are they going to do, send you back to the automated kiosk thing? And if they do - no big deal).

-Secondary in Toronto: when things are really well organized there may be someone to ask what your issue is/glance at your print-out. That might help things move along a bit quicker, overall. They'll at least try to keep track of line etc.

-Basically you mainly need passport, COPR, address where you'll get PR card, the PR photos. The officer will do most of the work, ask a few questions, have you sign some stuff, and that's it. There will be waits there of 10-20 mins at various stages while the officer goes off to do computer stuff or wahtever. It took us a total of a bit over an hour, perhaps an hour and a half (I think), but this was four new PRs. Secondary was moderatly busy at the time - we perhaps waited 15 minutes before seeing an officer. (My guess is this is the biggest variability, we've had to wait once or twice in secondary for closer to 45 minutes (that's a separate story, unrelated).

-There's not much in that process that is complicated. You really are best to have an address where you can receive mail, PR card may take 2-10 weeks. Don't get into fact you're only coming for a week if you can avoid it. Dont' lie, of course - but eg if it's your spouse's address or family, just say that's where you're staying temporarily.

-If you do not have, go to service canada in airport and get a SIN#. I don't think that takes long. You can do it physically or by post later if you prefer.

thatstupiddeer

Jan 24, 2023
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-10-2022
AOR Received.
05-01-2023
Med's Request
12-01-2023
Med's Done....
24-01-2023
Passport Req..
26-02-2024
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2024
So update! My wife just got the email that she was approved, and I expect we’ll get notice of her CoPR at the NYC VAC soon!!!

Hoping for a soft landing later this year since we need to plan and get everything ready for the move!

Reactions: KClaire

Rocklobser

Mar 12, 2024
That's awesome man! Do you mind sharing your experience going through immigration at the airport? Like, what are the required documents? Did you went to the kiosk first and then got directed to an officer? How long do you have to wait? What kind of questions they asked you?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. My landing will be 3/30/24! Although I will have to come back to the US a week after landing for family matters so I'm still worry how I'll get back to Canada after that haha.
I'm also returning to the US LOL. Got a concert.

Bet yes to answer the questions;
*Do you mind sharing your experience going through immigration at the airport?
I drove from Chicagoland through the Detroit/Windsor point of entry. So My experience may be slightly different

*Required documents: COPR sheet with the photos attached, Passport, Personal Effects and Accounting document.
I also made and printed out an excel workbook which broke down a list of everything I had, so all the electronics was 1 category, etc.

*Did you went to the kiosk first and then got directed to an officer?
Again as I drove, may be different, but I went through the normal system then was directed to customs office.

*How long do you have to wait? What kind of questions they asked you?
Wait time was around 30 minutes. Was asked to verify my new address, date of birth, full name, and if I had other goods arriving at a later date. Then in my case me and the officer walked to my moving truck, and he went over the list I had and just verified a couple high priority items. Like my 3D Printer, PC tower, and some of my other hobby items.

*Although I will have to come back to the US a week after landing for family matters so I'm still worry how I'll get back to Canada after that haha.
Passport will get a stamp that shows you've landed, bring that and a copy of the COPR when you cross till the PR card arrives.

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Similarly, I'm interested in your experience travelling back after landing and without a PR card. If you remember to share when the time comes. :)
I joined a discord for Canada immigration and this is how it went when I asked the peeps there (around 5k+) lol (long wall of text):

"Hello everyone, I am a US citizen and had just been approved for PR. My COPR will be delivered to me on Monday. I believe I will have to do my official landing to settle permanently in Canada? I do have an up coming trip by the end of this month for my wife's birthday and I do not wish to make this trip as my official landing because I have to come back a week later for my brother's wedding in the US. After my brother's wedding, then I will go back to Canada and make it official. Will this be possible? Will I be in trouble?...Thank you kindly."

"you can do a soft landing
"you can just land when you come for the trip, you will get the signed COPR, and be on your way back to the US later in the week
"once you have landed you can move any time you want really
"since you're a US citizen you can cross the border back to the USA without any documents
"and when you come back to Canada for reals you can use the COPR (signed)"

"Thank you very much for the information. I will do just that! Regarding using signed COPR at the border, does it matters if at land border or airport border and custom?"

"since you're american it doesn't matter the mode of transport"

"Thank you so much racemus, I am really appreciate. Just to double check, so when I fly back to Canada, I just need to go to a border officer instead of the kiosk and show them my signed COPR for them to let me into the country, this about right? I do apologize for the additional questions."

"ye!"

"Thank you once again!"

"And congratulations!"

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Our family arrival was at tail end of covid so to some degree stuff may have changed since then. But the immigration stuff likely least of all.
P
-Whether you go to kiosk or not, you'll have to go to secondary. I believe we went straight to the immigration officer (primary) and bypassed the kiosk - but this was when everhone went to the officer after kiosk anyway, don't know if you can do that now. I'd still be comfortable just going to the officer and saying "PR arriving for landing procedure, can I go to secondary?" (What are they going to do, send you back to the automated kiosk thing? And if they do - no big deal).

-Secondary in Toronto: when things are really well organized there may be someone to ask what your issue is/glance at your print-out. That might help things move along a bit quicker, overall. They'll at least try to keep track of line etc.

-Basically you mainly need passport, COPR, address where you'll get PR card, the PR photos. The officer will do most of the work, ask a few questions, have you sign some stuff, and that's it. There will be waits there of 10-20 mins at various stages while the officer goes off to do computer stuff or wahtever. It took us a total of a bit over an hour, perhaps an hour and a half (I think), but this was four new PRs. Secondary was moderatly busy at the time - we perhaps waited 15 minutes before seeing an officer. (My guess is this is the biggest variability, we've had to wait once or twice in secondary for closer to 45 minutes (that's a separate story, unrelated).

-There's not much in that process that is complicated. You really are best to have an address where you can receive mail, PR card may take 2-10 weeks. Don't get into fact you're only coming for a week if you can avoid it. Dont' lie, of course - but eg if it's your spouse's address or family, just say that's where you're staying temporarily.

-If you do not have, go to service canada in airport and get a SIN#. I don't think that takes long. You can do it physically or by post later if you prefer.
Thank you very much Armoured. I feel much relief now. I'll be landing in Calgary YYC, wondering if they have service Canada in the airport there.

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
So update! My wife just got the email that she was approved, and I expect we’ll get notice of her CoPR at the NYC VAC soon!!!

Hoping for a soft landing later this year since we need to plan and get everything ready for the move!
Wow, that was such a short wait for you guys! Congratz! I believe the last post you posted about dropping off the package was last Thursday. Its only been 5 days. It looks like they are clearing up files haha.

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
I'm also returning to the US LOL. Got a concert.

Bet yes to answer the questions;
*Do you mind sharing your experience going through immigration at the airport?
I drove from Chicagoland through the Detroit/Windsor point of entry. So My experience may be slightly different

*Required documents: COPR sheet with the photos attached, Passport, Personal Effects and Accounting document.
I also made and printed out an excel workbook which broke down a list of everything I had, so all the electronics was 1 category, etc.

*Did you went to the kiosk first and then got directed to an officer?
Again as I drove, may be different, but I went through the normal system then was directed to customs office.

*How long do you have to wait? What kind of questions they asked you?
Wait time was around 30 minutes. Was asked to verify my new address, date of birth, full name, and if I had other goods arriving at a later date. Then in my case me and the officer walked to my moving truck, and he went over the list I had and just verified a couple high priority items. Like my 3D Printer, PC tower, and some of my other hobby items.

*Although I will have to come back to the US a week after landing for family matters so I'm still worry how I'll get back to Canada after that haha.
Passport will get a stamp that shows you've landed, bring that and a copy of the COPR when you cross till the PR card arrives.
Thank you so much for the information. Cheer!

thatstupiddeer

Jan 24, 2023
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-10-2022
AOR Received.
05-01-2023
Med's Request
12-01-2023
Med's Done....
24-01-2023
Passport Req..
26-02-2024
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2024
Wow, that was such a short wait for you guys! Congratz! I believe the last post you posted about dropping off the package was last Thursday. Its only been 5 days. It looks like they are clearing up files haha.
Yes! She dropped it off on Thursday, and we got confirmation on Friday that IRCC was processing it! Insanely fast. Ours has been in the works for 2 years, so I have to wonder if someone in IRCC lit a fire under someone’s butt to get it done lol.

thatstupiddeer

Jan 24, 2023
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-10-2022
AOR Received.
05-01-2023
Med's Request
12-01-2023
Med's Done....
24-01-2023
Passport Req..
26-02-2024
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2024
Last update (for now): Her decision envelope (which I assume contains her CoPR paperwork) was just received at the NYC VAC this morning! She's planning to pick it up tomorrow :D

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Congratz again! Just saw your timeline and you guys indeed deserved the fast COPR processing!

thatstupiddeer

Jan 24, 2023
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-10-2022
AOR Received.
05-01-2023
Med's Request
12-01-2023
Med's Done....
24-01-2023
Passport Req..
26-02-2024
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2024
Congratz again! Just saw your timeline and you guys indeed deserved the fast COPR processing!
Thank you!! It's been a long time coming, but the long processing time is partially our fault lol. We (stupidly) submitted our application as Conjugal Partner because we didn't fully understand what it meant... We have since gotten married, and IRCC seems to have taken pity on us, and made the last few steps go quickly as possible.

Reactions: armoured

KClaire

Dec 4, 2023
Haven't heard of any such cases (at least since they started doing virtual landings during covid) but don't see why you can't try.

-No guarantees of course but don't see any harm in trying it. Worst they can do is send it back unprocessed. Make sure return address outside Canada shown clearly.
-If it comes up why this way instead of virtual landing, if anyone asks - she would prefer because of travel.
-It might take longer than virtual landing - hard to say.
-She would have to leave and return via physical border/airport port of entry to complete the landing procedure.
Definitely a little snag in this plan! Even though our application was outland with spouse outside of Canada, IRCC must see from their end that my spouse is currently visiting. Today, instead of PPR, we received what I assume are the steps for virtual landing (telling us to expect a portal invitation and requesting info about being present in Canada.) My spouse currently has a ticket to return to the US in mid-April and was planning to wait and do a physical move. I am thinking we have two options:

1) Respond to the email that they are in Canada, cancel the April ticket and proceed with virtual landing. I believe that would mean we are going to be waiting in Canada several weeks/months until we get the PR card, and then I’m not sure when/how we are able to bring all their belongings to Canada duty-free.

2) Respond to the email advising them that (even though my spouse is in Canada now) my spouse plans to leave Canada soon and request a traditional landing. Presumably that could result in some details, as well, and my spouse could leave in April and then be waiting around for COPR at their residence apart from me, as well.