Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
confabulation said:
Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you so much for this thread - it has already cleared up a couple things. I do still have some questions, however.

I'm the Canadian my boyfriend is American. We were originally planning on getting married late next summer, but we would like for him to stay up here sooner rather than later as I live on an island which makes travel expensive and it takes forever. Now, we're looking at sometime within the next few months if everything else is okay.

I'm 25 and a student, he's 32 and a cartoonist (meaning he is, essentially, self-employed). We've known each other since about 2004/2005, but we actually started our relationship in 2010. He's been up here for six months now (we lost track of time) maybe a week or two longer.

We were leaning toward inland application (primarily because the travel is so expensive).

My questions are:

• Does he need a passport before I can sponsor him? He has one of the passport ID cards that allows him to travel by land only.
  • Can we apply if he has overstayed his six months? I have seen some folks say yes, others say no.
  • There is no appeal for inland applications - is it likely we will have to be concerned about this if we have photos, emails (between us as well as him and my family), chat logs, illustrated gifts (he doodles for me a lot), no violent criminal background, no history of bankruptcy, etc? I, obviously, have a growing mound of student debt, and a bit of other debt (maybe a couple thousand), but that's it.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all we can think of for now. Thanks!
First of all, I URGE you to apply outland! My husband is American. Here's the reason why. Inland first stage is 11 months, second stage is 8 months. Total of 19 months. HOWEVER. Outland is only 11-12 months with BOTH steps. He can be with you even though he's applying outland. My husband has been here since May 2011, we got married Sept 2011, applied March 2012, sponsor approval June 5th 2012. It's A LOT faster.

As for your overstay, I would honestly, have him leave and come back. It would be better if he voluntarily leaves. Even if you DO apply inland, he MUST have legal status. If he is here illegally, that could spell a lot of trouble. I would take the time and have him go to the states, get lunch, come back. Or something like that. Then the 6 months starts again. Once it comes close to the end of the NEXT six months, (And keep track!!!) about 30 days before it expires, apply online for a visitor's extension. It's 75 dollars, and takes only 30 days to get one. Then there's another 6 months. My husband has applied for two, and both have been approved.

Photos, e-mails, plane tickets, itineraries, ferry tickets, call logs, anything like that, copy's of gifts, receipts of dinners you had etc etc, are all great! As for the debt, I'm 10K in debt, plus on disability, so I'd say you're okay :)

confabulation

Jul 16, 2012
parker24 said:
First of all, I URGE you to apply outland! My husband is American. Here's the reason why. Inland first stage is 11 months, second stage is 8 months. Total of 19 months. HOWEVER. Outland is only 11-12 months with BOTH steps. He can be with you even though he's applying outland. My husband has been here since May 2011, we got married Sept 2011, applied March 2012, sponsor approval June 5th 2012. It's A LOT faster.

As for your overstay, I would honestly, have him leave and come back. It would be better if he voluntarily leaves. Even if you DO apply inland, he MUST have legal status. If he is here illegally, that could spell a lot of trouble. I would take the time and have him go to the states, get lunch, come back. Or something like that. Then the 6 months starts again. Once it comes close to the end of the NEXT six months, (And keep track!!!) about 30 days before it expires, apply online for a visitor's extension. It's 75 dollars, and takes only 30 days to get one. Then there's another 6 months. My husband has applied for two, and both have been approved.
I live on Vancouver Island, he lives in Portland, OR, so the trip is long and fairly expensive for us (it's amazing how much a 1.5 hour ferry ride messes up your travel). So, if he leaves for a bit and comes back - do you think the odds are good he'll be allowed back in? He doesn't have a job in the States because he does illustration.

Just a question about outland - we can apply while he's visiting here? I don't really get how the outland visa works. He can come visit and we can apply, he can stay for up to six months (we should apply for an extension earlier, though), throughout the process?

With the inland, we aren't too concerned about the longer processing time. We wanted to just get started because I'm switching schools soon, moving, etc.. His trip back and forth would be over $400, which is quite a bit for us; however, if he has to leave anyway.. I guess outland is better. I just don't want him to have to stay in the States the whole time.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
confabulation said:
I live on Vancouver Island, he lives in Portland, OR, so the trip is long and fairly expensive for us (it's amazing how much a 1.5 hour ferry ride messes up your travel). So, if he leaves for a bit and comes back - do you think the odds are good he'll be allowed back in? He doesn't have a job in the States because he does illustration.

Just a question about outland - we can apply while he's visiting here? I don't really get how the outland visa works. He can come visit and we can apply, he can stay for up to six months (we should apply for an extension earlier, though), throughout the process?

With the inland, we aren't too concerned about the longer processing time. We wanted to just get started because I'm switching schools soon, moving, etc.. His trip back and forth would be over $400, which is quite a bit for us.
I totally understand. If he says something like, he forgot something in the states and is coming back to visit some more, that MIGHT pass. You could go with him, I hear that helps. Also, yes, like I said, hubby is here but we applied outland.

Problem is, with inland OR outland, your husband is here illegally. That's grounds for rejection right there. Doesn't matter how to apply, you can be rejected just because he overstayed. Which is why it would look better if he voluntarily leaves for a short period. I totally get the travel thing! My hubby is from TN, I'm in Ontario. Travel was hard on him, especially with the different time zones!

confabulation

Jul 16, 2012
Okay, so he should go back ASAP. I just hope he can get back. We aren't married yet, though. Do you think it'd be wise to get married before he goes? Not a wedding (that would still be next year) just the license. Or would it be smarter to wait for him to come back (if he's able)?

Sorry for all the questions! Everyone here is so helpful. I've only experienced immigration going to the US - ugh, awful - and it was just as confusing, even though I was a teenager.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
confabulation said:
Okay, so he should go back ASAP. I just hope he can get back. We aren't married yet, though. Do you think it'd be wise to get married before he goes? Not a wedding (that would still be next year) just the license. Or would it be smarter to wait for him to come back (if he's able)?

Sorry for all the questions! Everyone here is so helpful. I've only experienced immigration going to the US - ugh, awful - and it was just as confusing, even though I was a teenager.
He should be able to, Americans are usually waved through. I had an issue with US border too haha. Only because I couldn't understand them (I'm hearing impaired) They didn't like repeating to me :p

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Dear all,

Kindly, I seek your advice on my new topic here:
canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/urgent-my-family-application-t111951.0.html

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
confabulation said:
He doesn't have to go back to Portland. He could simply take the ferry over to Port Angeles (from Victoria) or to Tsawwassen (and then a quick trip down to Point Roberts - which is a dirty trick, as he can't go anywhere there anyway, so they pretty much HAVE to let him come back into Canada, even if he were heading for somewhere else in the US.) Is it annoying? Sure. It's not particularly expensive though - you can do the Victoria to Port Angeles Ferry for $17 each way (I'm assuming you aren't in Port Hardy of course, as THAT would make it far less convenient.)

Does he lease a place to live in Victoria? One interesting option (especially if he still maintains a place in Portland, OR) is that he can always just come as a "seasonal visitor" - pointing out his work (as a cartoonist) can be done pretty much anywhere helps mitigate the concern about him "entering the Canadian employment market" (which he isn't.) Technically, as long as he can demonstrate ties to the US he can keep visiting even for long stretches of time. This is rather common (the reverse are the snowbirds that head to the Southern US for the winter months).

If that's not enough, depending upon his background, you could always just hire him - it sounds like he would probably qualify as a "Graphic Artist" and that is a NAFTA work category. For that, all he'd need is a job offer letter (describing a job requiring appropriate NAFTA qualifications), evidence that he has the relevant skills, two photos, and $150 (for the work permit fee) and he can pick up his work permit at the border - then he's legit. NAFTA work permits can be granted for up to three years and are available at a POE - this is how I've lived (legally) in Canada for the past three years while trying to complete the interminable PR process myself.

Fair warning: if he spends more than 183 days in Canada, he must be aware that he is a "deemed resident" for tax purposes and even if he is just a "visitor" he becomes liable for Canadian income taxes.

confabulation

Jul 16, 2012
computergeek said:
He doesn't have to go back to Portland. He could simply take the ferry over to Port Angeles (from Victoria) or to Tsawwassen (and then a quick trip down to Point Roberts - which is a dirty trick, as he can't go anywhere there anyway, so they pretty much HAVE to let him come back into Canada, even if he were heading for somewhere else in the US.) Is it annoying? Sure. It's not particularly expensive though - you can do the Victoria to Port Angeles Ferry for $17 each way (I'm assuming you aren't in Port Hardy of course, as THAT would make it far less convenient.)

Does he lease a place to live in Victoria? One interesting option (especially if he still maintains a place in Portland, OR) is that he can always just come as a "seasonal visitor" - pointing out his work (as a cartoonist) can be done pretty much anywhere helps mitigate the concern about him "entering the Canadian employment market" (which he isn't.) Technically, as long as he can demonstrate ties to the US he can keep visiting even for long stretches of time. This is rather common (the reverse are the snowbirds that head to the Southern US for the winter months).
Very interesting! We're going to look into that Point Roberts thing. I suggested he go to Port Angeles for lunch or something and try to come back. I'm always worried he'll be denied entry. I'm just one of those chronic worriers.

He doesn't lease anywhere. He was on the lease with his sister in Portland, but then the lease was up, she moved, and that coincided with a trip to see my mum in December through early January (she lives in the US). After the trip, we returned here to Victoria. He doesn't really have anywhere he lives right now, we just have my apartment. When he returns, he'll probably stay with his father for a bit.

Very interesting, thanks!

marcopolocan

Star Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi just a quick question

Has anyone had issues with printed (rather than bar coded) forms being returned by CPC-M? I don't mean incomplete forms just forms that were not filled out with bar codes.
Thanks

Hemi

Jul 14, 2012
hi everybody..i had passport request.from CEM visa office together with the additional req..i sent my package to visa section level 6 tower 2 rcbc plaza 6819 ayala avenue makati city. using LBC...was received next day by Sg beronia...but i forgot to write canadian embassy on the address..do you think my passport and my documents has gone to the right address for canadian visa processing?can anyone advice me..please..thank you,very appreciated....

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all:

I am a new member here. So I apologize beforehand if I break any rules here.

I got married last month in my home country Bangladesh. It's both of our first marriage. I am PR here. I am hearing so much negative news from my friends here about how long it will take for my wife to come, that I am getting depressed.

What is the usual time period if everything goes fine? I am sending everything together (police certificate, medical, all fees etc.) to the Mississauga office.

Also, is the printout from CRA necessary to send at this time? I am enclosing a job letter specifying my current job, income etc. My employment & income history (except the last job that I am doing for 8 months now) is not good at all.

Would appreciate any response.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
goodman36 said:
Hi all:

I am a new member here. So I apologize beforehand if I break any rules here.

I got married last month in my home country Bangladesh. It's both of our first marriage. I am PR here. I am hearing so much negative news from my friends here about how long it will take for my wife to come, that I am getting depressed.

What is the usual time period if everything goes fine? I am sending everything together (police certificate, medical, all fees etc.) to the Mississauga office.

Also, is the printout from CRA necessary to send at this time? I am enclosing a job letter specifying my current job, income etc. My employment & income history (except the last job that I am doing for 8 months now) is not good at all.

Would appreciate any response.
Hey Goodman,

welcome to the forum! and the wonderful world of CIC...

You will need to have patience. as you are a PR and not a citizen, you can not go and wait with your wife in Bangladesh, you can only go for short visits, you must reside in Canada throughout the process.

Current waiting times are> 3 months for step one ( approval of sponsor) in Mississauga, then your file is sent to Singapore as your wife is from Bangladesh ( if I understood right) see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/singapore.asp

wiating time for Singapore is 21 months, unfortunately. Some files get processed quicker than that, but that's what you are looking at for now.... you need to send your complete applications ( both the part for your sponsorship and the part for your wife) as a complete package to Mississauga. Take time to put together as much proofs as possible, it will save you time on a later stage.

Printout from CRA - Sorry I have no idea, as I am not canadian, but look at the guidelines and check list, and see which one applies to you - or wait until a more knowledgeable member comes in and answers.

Best of luck for your application, and congratulations on your wedding!
Sweden

Valeco

Star Member
Jun 11, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2010
Doc's Request.
august 2012
File Transfer...
june 2011 to local office
Med's Request
October 18 2012,AIP and passport back
Med's Done....
Medicals received and decision made December 19
Interview........
october 2012
LANDED..........
february...6 ....pr card received march..13
Hello, somebody knows the time frame for Calgary local office,I did my sponsor application 22 months ago and 12 months ago they trasfered my application to the cic local office Calgary without AIP , I came to Canada as a reffugee in 2007, why they taking so long...I wanna know if somebody have the same problem..

Thanks

ohliuw

Star Member
May 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
AOR Received.
23-08-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
Docs sent, Sean signed for the package. Now the painful wait begins :(

I have two follow up questions:

1. How and when will I be able to track the progress of the application? Can I use my receipt R number?

2. Since I live in QC, once I get the CSQ in few months, is it me who sends it to the visa processing office, or it's done internally?

thanks.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
ohliuw said:
Docs sent, Sean signed for the package. Now the painful wait begins :(

I have two follow up questions:

1. How and when will I be able to track the progress of the application? Can I use my receipt R number?

2. Since I live in QC, once I get the CSQ in few months, is it me who sends it to the visa processing office, or it's done internally?

thanks.
I can only answer the first part. Unless you get an AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) you will not be able to track it until you receive sponsor approval in 90-some days :( Sorry. I know cgagnon had to get a CSQ, maybe she can help you with the second part :)