00-00-0000
Passport Req..
00-00-0000
VISA ISSUED...
00-00-0000
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
profiler said:
This is true -- but it's generally not a good idea to travel while your application is in process. You run the risk of having an immigration officer at the border revoking it due to it being abandoned.
Yes, I read on this forum that your inland spousal application can be cancelled if you are refused entry so it is advisable not to take a chance, even for vacation, and leave until PR is approved. People have done it and been allowed to enter but as Profiler said it it at the discretion of the immigration officer so you can never be 100%.

So I guess we can only travel within Canada since I am risk averse.

browning911

Champion Member
Mar 30, 2016
Toronto ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPCMISS
App. Filed.......
30-03-2016
Doc's Request.
Redo IMM5406 and IMM5669 (Jan 2017)
AOR Received.
02-05-2016
Med's Request
00-00-0000
Med's Done....
27-06-2016
Interview........
00-00-0000
Passport Req..
00-00-0000
VISA ISSUED...
00-00-0000
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
I am posting this in here for persons who join this thread after and will be reading from beginning to end:

OWP Fees:

Total OWP fee is CAD$255.00

Consequences of Underpayment of OWP Fees

Ponga said:
You must wait for CIC to either return your OWP, or ask for additional payment.

For the record, the vast majority of people have their OWP application returned.

If this in fact happens, and you're close to losing your legal status, this could be a disaster!

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
profiler said:
This is true -- but it's generally not a good idea to travel while your application is in process. You run the risk of having an immigration officer at the border revoking it due to it being abandoned.
I disagree. This is only the case for people in a precarious or fraudulent situation. Leaving the country for a trip does not render your application abandoned. If you have the proper documentation and especially if you have a work permit I don't see what would make you become inadmissible for going on vacation. Unless maybe if you vacation in Syria or Yemen.

Anyway, I've already been on two trips since this PR was in process and am going for another in October. It is senseless to have a self-imposed 2-year confinement for no reason other than paranoia. It makes me crazy to hear of people not going home for a funeral or a wedding or something because they are worried about this. Canada is nice and the CBSA are reasonable people.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
To follow-up browning911's excellent cross-post, when you go to pay your fees here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMation/fees/index.asp

For the OWP select your country of origin, then 'Work Permit' under Temporary Residence from the list. You will see a table on the next 'screen' that will show what you should pay.

Work Permit: C$ 155
Open Work Permit Holder: C$ 100

For Inland PR applications:
Sponsorship application (per application) C$ 75
Principal applicant (spouse or common-law partner) C$ 475 (unless the fee is for a dependant, then follow the instructions on the table)

You should also consider paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) - not Express Entry (from the list of 'What are you paying a fee for?':
Getting your permanent resident status C$ 490

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
polarvolcano said:
I disagree. This is only the case for people in a precarious or fraudulent situation. Leaving the country for a trip does not render your application abandoned. If you have the proper documentation and especially if you have a work permit I don't see what would make you become inadmissible for going on vacation. Unless maybe if you vacation in Syria or Yemen.

Anyway, I've already been on two trips since this PR was in process and am going for another in October. It is senseless to have a self-imposed 2-year confinement for no reason other than paranoia. It makes me crazy to hear of people not going home for a funeral or a wedding or something because they are worried about this. Canada is nice and the CBSA are reasonable people.
The information provided was stating that you ran the risk of the application being abandoned, if you were unable to re-enter. Which can happen for many reasons. The information was provided to me by an immigration lawyer, but is also available here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
profiler said:
The information provided was stating that you ran the risk of the application being abandoned, if you were unable to re-enter. Which can happen for many reasons. The information was provided to me by an immigration lawyer, but is also available here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28
I deem this to be of extremely low risk, so low that I am more worried about the plane crashing or some other force majeure. I am also a risk-averse person. I believe there is an undue amount of worry placed on this particular item especially considering the length of time required for the PR process and am only trying to present an alternative view to the lawyer who is not able to say that there is zero risk.

The main info I get from that CIC link is that if I have all of the required documents to enter Canada, I am fine. I am not of the belief that there are many reasons in my case where I would be denied re-entry. Of course everyone is free to make their own choices but I don't like people to think that they are trapped.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
polarvolcano said:
The main info I get from that CIC link is that if I have all of the required documents to enter Canada, I am fine. I am not of the belief that there are many reasons in my case where I would be denied re-entry. Of course everyone is free to make their own choices but I don't like people to think that they are trapped.
CIC can say all they want on their website. The bottom line is, they do not make the determination about whether you are allowed entry into Canada. That is in the hands of CBSA, and I doubt CBSA will take too kindly to someone showing them what CIC "says" they can do. They certainly are not going to care. They care about how a person presents themselves and what answers they give in that moment. While I agree the risk is low to leave for short trips, if a CBSA officer doesn't like someone's answers to their questions or has reason to be suspicious of whether the person is a true visitor, they have every right to deny entry. If a person can show a valid work permit or visa, then the risk is much lower. every entry is separate, and just because someone had no issue returning once, it does NOT mean there isn't a chance there won't be an issue in the future.

Also, the application can be rejected if CIC sees a person went on an extended trip, which means they were not cohabitating or living with their sponsor during that time - which is one of the main requirements for being approved as an inland applicant. So taking 2+ month long trips without the sponsor is not advised for this reason.

Does all of this mean people need to be afraid of CBSA and not travel at all. No, it means people need to be aware, be prepared and limit the time away from their spouse.

Ringlands

Star Member
Jul 12, 2014
Canada-BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th May 2016
Doc's Request.
PCC requested 10th Aug-letter sent to advise already sent in appl.
AOR Received.
17th May & 7th June 2016
IELTS Request
OWP approved 26th Aug
Med's Done....
Will send when requested
oliver3575 said:
Mine was issued to me on August 02 and it STILL has not arrived in the mail. I am in Edmonton so it should have been here within days. My 6 weeks is up on Tuesday....hopefully you are not in the same boat as me because having to wait an extra 6 weeks is incredibly frustrating.
so frustrating!!! let us know what happens and if you have to call to chase it, be interesting to see if they just 'send another one'!!

pedropil

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
Med's Request
18-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-05-2017
Interview........
06-07-2017
LANDED..........
06-07-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
CIC can say all they want on their website. The bottom line is, they do not make the determination about whether you are allowed entry into Canada. That is in the hands of CBSA, and I doubt CBSA will take too kindly to someone showing them what CIC "says" they can do. They certainly are not going to care. They care about how a person presents themselves and what answers they give in that moment. While I agree the risk is low to leave for short trips, if a CBSA officer doesn't like someone's answers to their questions or has reason to be suspicious of whether the person is a true visitor, they have every right to deny entry. If a person can show a valid work permit or visa, then the risk is much lower. every entry is separate, and just because someone had no issue returning once, it does NOT mean there isn't a chance there won't be an issue in the future.

Also, the application can be rejected if CIC sees a person went on an extended trip, which means they were not cohabitating or living with their sponsor during that time - which is one of the main requirements for being approved as an inland applicant. So taking 2+ month long trips without the sponsor is not advised for this reason.

Does all of this mean people need to be afraid of CBSA and not travel at all. No, it means people need to be aware, be prepared and limit the time away from their spouse.
What if traveling outside Canada together with your spouse? for 2 weeks to have a vacation just like the normal couples do. your returning with reentry visa with OWP. of course for the visa exempt countries are more convenient.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
pedropil said:
What if traveling outside Canada together with your spouse? for 2 weeks to have a vacation just like the normal couples do. your returning with reentry visa with OWP. of course for the visa exempt countries are more convenient.
If you leave you'd have to re-enter on a visitor visa.

Ringlands

Star Member
Jul 12, 2014
Canada-BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th May 2016
Doc's Request.
PCC requested 10th Aug-letter sent to advise already sent in appl.
AOR Received.
17th May & 7th June 2016
IELTS Request
OWP approved 26th Aug
Med's Done....
Will send when requested
CDNPR2014 said:

To be honest, its such a long haul of a process and so many if's and but's and unclear 'rules' i really dont think it's worth the risk. I'm missing/have missed my mum's wedding and relative passing away and the process isnt over yet, god knows what more ill miss :( i know it's my fault for wanting to be in Canada but its a harsh world....

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Ringlands said:
To be honest, its such a long haul of a process and so many if's and but's and unclear 'rules' i really dont think it's worth the risk. I'm missing/have missed my mum's wedding and relative passing away and the process isnt over yet, god knows what more ill miss :( i know it's my fault for wanting to be in Canada but its a harsh world....
Sorry to hear that, my friend. I hate this kind of story.

polarvolcano

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
profiler said:
If you leave you'd have to re-enter on a visitor visa.
Of course. That's not a problem. It's not like you try to pretend that you are 'visiting a friend' in Canada. You just show them the visa and the work permit.

pedropil

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
Med's Request
18-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-05-2017
Interview........
06-07-2017
LANDED..........
06-07-2017
polarvolcano said:
Of course. That's not a problem. It's not like you try to pretend that you are 'visiting a friend' in Canada. You just show them the visa and the work permit.
I agree. Basically the first thing the immigration officer gonna check if you are security risk and going to be a head ache of their government like asking for social assistance or ending up a homeless or something. But since you have work permit, probably a job with company ID, health card plus the visa to enter, i think your gonna be good.

sipfarms

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississagua
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02- 2016
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016 Police Cert.
AOR Received.
16-04-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016 to Vancouver
Med's Done....
Upfront with previous work permit, expired but passed 30-08-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
polarvolcano said:
I deem this to be of extremely low risk, so low that I am more worried about the plane crashing or some other force majeure. I am also a risk-averse person. I believe there is an undue amount of worry placed on this particular item especially considering the length of time required for the PR process and am only trying to present an alternative view to the lawyer who is not able to say that there is zero risk.

Totally agree polarvolcano. Travelled back home for wedding for two weeks even before OWP extension was approved and had no problem whatsoever. Did apply for TRS before re-entry though. Border officers didn't blink an eye. Each individual has to way up pros & cons of their situation but I also don't like people to think they are trapped.