File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
Zeinab20 said:
Patiently_waiting,

I am not sure whether I understood your suggestion. Can you explain it to me what you meant with visa? Do you mean under: Skilled workers and professionals?
Thank you for wishing me good luck, because I really need it.
Hi Zeinab20,

Check out this website http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/romania-roumanie/index.aspx?lang=eng ( believe you said you were from Romania? Correct?) as it has a lot of useful information in regards to options for you to come to Canada - on your terms and your own visa. Specifically check the link http://www.international.gc.ca/iyp-pij/intro_incoming-intro_entrant.aspx?lang=eng for information in regards to international work experience. In fact you can get a one year visa for this up until you are 35 years old. This would allow you to work and travel through Canada on a one year visa. Either way this is a great opportunity for you to see Canada as a country and experience the way of life. In addition, you could take your time with your 'love' and see where it goes after meeting in person to see how your relationship develops.

Cheers :D

Z

Zeinab20

Thank you a lot patiently_waiting! I will definitely read those sites.
No, I am not from Romania. I am from the Netherlands.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Zeinab20 thew above posters were mentioning perhaps you come here on a working visa for a couple years and see how everything works out. I'll attach the link below. You can come here on the working holiday visa which allows you to come for 1 full year and work for whomever you choose. The other one allows another year with a specific employer. So that gives you 2 full years in which perhaps his situation will get better. This way you can come to Canada. Get to know your boyfriend, choose marriage if everything is good and work the whole time supporting yourself. It doesn't cost much and it gets approved in a bout a months time. Definitely something to look into.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/youth-jeunesse/netherlands-pays_bas.aspx?lang=eng

Z

Zeinab20

[size=10pt]Quote from: rjessome on January 08, 2011, 06:09:38 pm
It depends on the circumstances of the crime. Specifically, IRPA says this regarding the sponsor:

(e) has not been convicted under the Criminal Code of
(i) an offence of a sexual nature, or an attempt or a threat to commit such an offence, against any person, or
(ii) an offence that results in bodily harm, as defined in section 2 of the Criminal Code, to any of the following persons or an attempt or a threat to commit such an offence against any of the following persons, namely,
(A) a relative of the sponsor, including a dependent child or other family member of the sponsor,
(B) a relative of the sponsor's spouse or of the sponsor's common-law partner, including a dependent child or other family member of the sponsor's spouse or of the sponsor's common-law partner, or
(C) the conjugal partner of the sponsor or a relative of that conjugal partner, including a dependent child or other family member of that conjugal partner;

Assuming that none of the above apply to your sponsor, he will be fine to sponsor you after you are married.

Quote from: PMM on January 08, 2011, 08:50:56 pm
Hi

Note the OP said that he was convicted of Aggravated Assault and Break and Enter. Note (e)(ii) above that Aggravated Assault would fall into that category.

From the Criminal Code.

268. (1) Every one commits an aggravated assault who wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant.

Punishment

(2) Every one who commits an aggravated assault is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

Yes, of course you are right. However, it doesn't appear that the victims of his crime were any of those listed in (A), (B) or (C) so he will still be eligible to sponsor.
[/size]

Dear members,

As you can read, I have come across some contradictory information. Rjessome and PMM what is the right information? I don't want to have false hope. I sent you a personal message (rjessome) but I still haven't got a reply. This is really confusing me..

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zeinab20 said:
what should I think of 'difficult question' ?
The key issue when dealing with immigration, is to tell the truth when asked.
Any questions that you are asked in documents, secondary screening or anywhere else - getting things wrong or misrepresenting facts can result in refusal of entry to Canada, or if the situation is extreme visitors can be banned from entering Canada.
Of course this does not happen to everyone, but it does happen.

Others have mentioned it before, because of the issues in this case (of possible spousal sponsorship), you really need a lawyer.

To be eligible to study in Canada

You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:

tuition fees
living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zeinab20 said:
As you can read, I have come across some contradictory information. Rjessome and PMM what is the right information? I don't want to have false hope. I sent you a personal message (rjessome) but I still haven't got a reply. This is really confusing me..[/b]
That is why you need a lawyer.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
patiently_waiting said:
Hi Zeinab20,

Check out this website http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/romania-roumanie/index.aspx?lang=eng ( believe you said you were from Romania? Correct?) as it has a lot of useful information in regards to options for you to come to Canada - on your terms and your own visa. Specifically check the link http://www.international.gc.ca/iyp-pij/intro_incoming-intro_entrant.aspx?lang=eng for information in regards to international work experience. In fact you can get a one year visa for this up until you are 35 years old. This would allow you to work and travel through Canada on a one year visa. Either way this is a great opportunity for you to see Canada as a country and experience the way of life. In addition, you could take your time with your 'love' and see where it goes after meeting in person to see how your relationship develops.

Patiently I just saw your post! Sorry for repeating the whole thing :)

Cheers :D

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
kelKel said:
Zeinab20 thew above posters were mentioning perhaps you come here on a working visa for a couple years and see how everything works out. I'll attach the link below. You can come here on the working holiday visa which allows you to come for 1 full year and work for whomever you choose. The other one allows another year with a specific employer. So that gives you 2 full years in which perhaps his situation will get better. This way you can come to Canada. Get to know your boyfriend, choose marriage if everything is good and work the whole time supporting yourself. It doesn't cost much and it gets approved in a bout a months time. Definitely something to look into.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/youth-jeunesse/netherlands-pays_bas.aspx?lang=eng
Thanks KelKel, missed the boat on that one!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Janadian said:
16) Have you been charged with an offence that under the Act Of Parliment and is pushable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at
least 10 years?

Under what circumstances may processing be suspended?
If any of the proceedings below apply to you and you send a sponsorship application to CPC-M, your application will not be processed until a final decision is rendered with respect to that proceeding.
This means that CIC will suspend the processing of an application if the sponsor has been charged with an offense. They will resume processing once a final decision has been made.
So it does not apply to the OP's situation - her boyfriend was charged, yes, but also convicted; in other words a final decision has been made.
Someone who has been convicted of assaulting a non-family member and who is now on parole can sponsor his spouse.

The relevant section of the application is form IMM 1344 A, page 4, E Eligibility Assessment (that is, "Who can sponsor?"), question 16: "Have you been charged with an offense ... punishable with a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 10 years?"
If the answer to 16 is 'yes', they tell you to see your guide to see when processing may be suspended.
To me this means processing may be suspended while the courts decide if the person is guilty. If the person is found guilty, the person is free to sponsor someone once he has been released from prison.
The OP's boyfriend was convicted of a crime that is punishable by more than 10 years in prison, true, but he is now out on parole, which sounds to me like he can sponsor her now.

This is the page of the guide that talks about who can sponsor:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900E2.asp
This is the quote from that guide:
"You are ineligible to sponsor if:

* you are in prison;
* you are an undischarged bankrupt;
* you are in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability;
* you were convicted of a sexual offence or an offence against the person with respect to
o one of your family members or relatives,
o one of your spouse’s or common-law partner’s family members or relatives, or
o your conjugal partner or one of your conjugal partner’s family members or relatives, unless you were granted a pardon or five years have passed after the expiration of the sentence imposed on you;
* you were adopted outside Canada and subsequently obtained a revocation of your adoption for the purpose of sponsoring an application for permanent residence by your biological parent;
* you are subject to a removal order; or
* have been convicted of a serious criminal offence, have provided false information to Immigration, or have not met conditions of entry."

So the only question then is, will CIC think the boyfriend's crime is a 'serious criminal offence'? If yes, he cannot sponsor her; if no, he can sponsor her. What constitutes a 'serious criminal offense' is not clear in the guide, probably because CIC wants some leeway on the matter.

I think the boyfriend should phone the CIC hotline, describe his situation, and ask. He should also consult a lawyer. I'm guessing that this is the kind of situation that depends on the person at CIC who is reviewing the sponsorship application. Neither the CIC phone assistant nor any lawyer will know for sure whether the boyfriend will be accepted as a sponsor; the only way to know for sure is for him to apply to sponsor. This is the kind of case where the sponsor and applicant should say that they want to continue with the application even if the sponsor is found ineligible - because if the marriage is then found to be genuine at the visa post, they may be able to win the appeal on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
So the only question then is, will CIC think the boyfriend's crime is a 'serious criminal offence'? If yes, he cannot sponsor her; if no, he can sponsor her. What constitutes a 'serious criminal offense' is not clear in the guide, probably because CIC wants some leeway on the matter.
From what I have read, and because CIC do have leeway, like you I think the boyfriend needs the lawyer sooner rather than later.

Z

Zeinab20

patiently_waiting said:
Thanks KelKel, missed the boat on that one!
Quote from: kelKel on January 10, 2011, 05:22:57 pm

KelKel and Patiently_Waiting, thank you so much for your posts. The holiday-working visa sounds to me as the best option for now.
Would Immigration Canada find it suspicious if I stayed as a tourist for say 2-3months? Will they be asking me question with whom I will be staying? And would it bring us into difficult consequences if I say that I want to visit Canada to visit my boyfriend and stay with him for about 3months?

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
I am trying to understand the choices you are making:

1. Your family is not supportive of this relationship
2. You want to get married because your family would not want you in a long-term relationship (does this mean living together?) without being married

Would your family really prefer that you marry a man you have at this point never met, and by the time of marrying will have spent a short period of time with?

I do also understand how you think he has changed, but the fact is, with the crime he committed (and did it not very long ago), it speaks to his character. No one accidently violently assaults someone during a break and enter. A person who would commit this sort of crime in the recent past does not have the type of character which makes his words truthful. Right now all you have are his words, spoken and written. Until you meet him and spend a considerable amount of time with him (and his family and friends) you cannot know for sure who he is.

I am talking to you from someone who does understand the love you feel, and also understands the family reaction. I met my husband online - he was living in London but was on a student visa, he is originally from Nigeria. I talked to him for 3 months and then met him in London for 2 days while I was on vacation with a friend. All went well so we continued our daily talking and 2.5 months later I went back to spend a week with him. While he was at work that week I went through EVERYTHING in his apartment. I looked at all of his correspondence, read all of his emails and chat logs - looking for anything suspicious, any communication with another woman, etc. It was after this visit that I can say I really truly fell deeply in love with him. I thought I loved him before, and I thought he was my soulmate, but looking back now, I realize that it was all fantasy.

I then returned to see him again, 4 months later, for a week. This is when he proposed to me, I was suprised, but thrilled! This was in April of 2009. I returned to London again in June 2009, October 2009, December 2009, and March 2010 for a week or 10 days each time. We travelled around UK, I got close to his family, and every visit confirmed that I had made the right choice to marry him. We were married in Nigeria in April 2010.

Our spousal application was approved in record time at one of the most difficult visa offices in the world (Accra has a 50% refusal rate, and many people wait 1-2 years, we were approved in just 2 months)

My point in telling you this is that taking it SLOW is the best way to go for a good outcome at the end, where you know with 100% certainty that he is the right man for you, you can prove this to your family, thereby having their support, and you are able to immigrate to Canada without too long of a delay or too much scrutiny.

I love the other people's ideas about you taking a working holiday. There would be no problem for you to get a job in the Vancouver area. I do advise you to have enough money to pay for a hotel, short-term rental apartment or hostel, and live on your own while getting to know him.

Believe me, as someone who has been through this, that what you KNOW right now, and what you FEEL right now is not entirely REAL. Do things the right way, and take enough time, and don't jump into anything. You want a long and happy life together, yes? Then you need to not act immaturely and impulsively, but do the right thing to protect yourself while also allowing your relationship to grow.

One last thing...if he loves you, and truly loves you...he will be happy with any decision you make. He would not be unhappy if you stayed in a hostel, he would not be upset if you put off marrying until next year, he will want you to take it slow and do what makes you feel most comfortable.

Best of luck to you sweetie...

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM and I didn't disagree. He elaborated on one part of the Act and I clarified it. Both of us are right and we are not disagreeing.

This is where the language, policies and procedures of immigration law get more complicated and difficult to understand (although several in this thread understood :)). If you are not fluent in English or French, perhaps that is the reason.

Basically I outlined the Section of the Act which would make your boyfriend ineligible to sponsor IF it applied to him and said "Assuming none of the above apply..." PMM pointed out that part of the Act DID apply to your boyfriend (committed a personal injury offence) and I agreed but said that the Act went further to say who the victims would have to be in that instance to make him ineligible to sponsor.

So it is not conflicting advice. Just discussion and clarification of the applicable laws pertaining to your situation.

Z

Zeinab20

bobshynoswife said:
I am trying to understand the choices you are making:

2. You want to get married because your family would not want you in a long-term relationship (does this mean living together?) without being married

Would your family really prefer that you marry a man you have at this point never met, and by the time of marrying will have spent a short period of time with?

I do also understand how you think he has changed, but the fact is, with the crime he committed (and did it not very long ago), it speaks to his character. No one accidently violently assaults someone during a break and enter. A person who would commit this sort of crime in the recent past does not have the type of character which makes his words truthful. Right now all you have are his words, spoken and written. Until you meet him and spend a considerable amount of time with him (and his family and friends) you cannot know for sure who he is.

I am talking to you from someone who does understand the love you feel, and also understands the family reaction. I met my husband online - he was living in London but was on a student visa, he is originally from Nigeria. I talked to him for 3 months and then met him in London for 2 days while I was on vacation with a friend. All went well so we continued our daily talking and 2.5 months later I went back to spend a week with him. While he was at work that week I went through EVERYTHING in his apartment. I looked at all of his correspondence, read all of his emails and chat logs - looking for anything suspicious, any communication with another woman, etc. It was after this visit that I can say I really truly fell deeply in love with him. I thought I loved him before, and I thought he was my soulmate, but looking back now, I realize that it was all fantasy.

I then returned to see him again, 4 months later, for a week. This is when he proposed to me, I was suprised, but thrilled! This was in April of 2009. I returned to London again in June 2009, October 2009, December 2009, and March 2010 for a week or 10 days each time. We travelled around UK, I got close to his family, and every visit confirmed that I had made the right choice to marry him. We were married in Nigeria in April 2010.

Our spousal application was approved in record time at one of the most difficult visa offices in the world (Accra has a 50% refusal rate, and many people wait 1-2 years, we were approved in just 2 months)

My point in telling you this is that taking it SLOW is the best way to go for a good outcome at the end, where you know with 100% certainty that he is the right man for you, you can prove this to your family, thereby having their support, and you are able to immigrate to Canada without too long of a delay or too much scrutiny.

I love the other people's ideas about you taking a working holiday. There would be no problem for you to get a job in the Vancouver area. I do advise you to have enough money to pay for a hotel, short-term rental apartment or hostel, and live on your own while getting to know him.

Believe me, as someone who has been through this, that what you KNOW right now, and what you FEEL right now is not entirely REAL. Do things the right way, and take enough time, and don't jump into anything. You want a long and happy life together, yes? Then you need to not act immaturely and impulsively, but do the right thing to protect yourself while also allowing your relationship to grow.

One last thing...if he loves you, and truly loves you...he will be happy with any decision you make. He would not be unhappy if you stayed in a hostel, he would not be upset if you put off marrying until next year, he will want you to take it slow and do what makes you feel most comfortable.

Best of luck to you sweetie...
Bobshynoswife, thank you for your elaborated post and sharing your experience with me.
1.Yes, I think that my family is just protective and worrying for me, I can imagine because of his record. But I just really hope that they will give it a chance and let me visit him at least. 2.Yes.
You want a long and happy life together, yes? Yes, I want nothing but that. It is just that my boyfriend's situation is making things really hard. I just really need to think about what to do..
I am really happy to hear that you and your husband got together and as you experienced, sometimes true love does exist! And you are right, my safety is my priority. The only way to know and get confirmation of his words is just to meet him.
There would be no problem for you to get a job in the Vancouver area. Do you know if I want to get myself a holiday-work visa, where to find a work opportunity.
I really liked reading your story btw, you pursued your happiness!

Z

Zeinab20

rjessome said:
PMM and I didn't disagree. He elaborated on one part of the Act and I clarified it. Both of us are right and we are not disagreeing.

This is where the language, policies and procedures of immigration law get more complicated and difficult to understand (although several in this thread understood :)). If you are not fluent in English or French, perhaps that is the reason.

Basically I outlined the Section of the Act which would make your boyfriend ineligible to sponsor IF it applied to him and said "Assuming none of the above apply..." PMM pointed out that part of the Act DID apply to your boyfriend (committed a personal injury offence) and I agreed but said that the Act went further to say who the victims would have to be in that instance to make him ineligible to sponsor.

So it is not conflicting advice. Just discussion and clarification of the applicable laws pertaining to your situation.
Ok. A lawyer would be the best option for us in the future.