Sponsor on parole! PLEASE HELP ME!

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think it will matter to the IO what privileges or securities you have in the Netherlands. If he or she suspects the relationship and subsequent marriage are not legitimate, then it will be on you and your partner to prove that it is real. If it is deemed he is unable to sponsor you, have you both considered that he may have to move to where you are once he is legally able?

Z

Zeinab20

KarenCee said:
I don't think it will matter to the IO what privileges or securities you have in the Netherlands. If he or she suspects the relationship and subsequent marriage are not legitimate, then it will be on you and your partner to prove that it is real. If it is deemed he is unable to sponsor you, have you both considered that he may have to move to where you are once he is legally able?
Oh we will definitely save all our proofs, we already have quite a bit since we met. KarenCee, we were thinking of that too in the beginning but we never got into it because that probably would be sooo difficult as he is on parole.. I don't know much about that.. but I think that Holland also will check his past and maybe they will deny him. I don't want to be negative.. but I first want to get all lot of information on our first option, which is my fiancé sponsoring me to come to Canada.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zeinab20 said:
Baloo, thank you for your time reading my post.
Sometimes you just have to follow your heart, I can understand what you mean and I hear this a lot from people, my family tells me this a lot too! ut something in this relationship (as described) doesn't feel right Can I ask what you exactly mean with this?
Of course I am being realistic and it is a difficult situation that we are in unfortunately...
What does PO and IO means?
You say "Sometimes you just have to follow your heart," I agree, but you should also use your head. Those that don't either have to be very lucky or suffer the consequences.

OP = original poster (you).
IO = Immigration officer.

There are two parts to my opinion:
First, unless you live with someone you do not know them.
Marriage can be difficult, marriage combined with immigration to (Canada or elsewhere) is much more difficult and stressful.
Marriage, immigration and not knowing the person that you say is your soul mate, is really pushing the boundaries.
Add the fact that your soul mate has at least one recorded event of assault, then you are really on thin ice.
How do you know that a person who has been convicted of a violent offence will not be violent to you?

Secondly, you do not seem to have planned this in detail (or at least you do not mention it).
Can I ask how old you and your partner are? Your replies give the impression that you do not want to hear some things, a trait that some "younger" people exhibit.
(When people get older they do the same, but for different reasons) - note that I am not being ageist here, just factual.

Have you looked at what this is going to cost?
You will need a fair bit of money (and a lot of patience) just to get to Canada legally; It's not just the flights, but immigration fees, medical fees, police certificates and other documentation.
When you arrive in Canada you may well need personal medical cover, depending on where you land (some places do not cover you for the first three months). Getting married is not free, so there is additional cost there. I guess that you know you will not be able to work when you visit Canada. The cost of living in Canada is way more than in the Netherlands (I lived in Sluis recently), about the only major things I can immediately think of that cost less in Canada are Gas and hydro (electricity).

So many of the things you say ( in quite good English BTW ) sound like wishes and dreams of a young and naive person
In my opinion you need to grab a dose of reality, we all know that life is rarely easy, but what you are proposing looks either very dangerous for you, or you are ignoring the risks because you want to be in Canada for some other reason.

There is no logical reason that I can think of for you to be married in the near future. It looks like your man will not be eligible to apply for a pardon until 2031, on top of that you are looking at adding however long the pardon and PR application takes before you can be together.
Even being optimistic, 2032 or 2033 is what you seem to be looking at. That is over twenty years away! Do you really believe that a relationship can work with that amount of separation?
If you think that visiting Canada every year will work, I seriously doubt it, immigration officers tend to frown on multiple long term visits. As a visitor you will have to prove that you will return to the Netherlands. Yes it will be easier than if you needed a visa, but it is not likely to be easy. Immigration would certainly doubt that you would return home when you have a husband in Canada. There seems to be very little you could offer at present as ties to your home, those ties are what immigration needs to see.

You say that you do not ask for opinions, but that is what you get in this forum. The majority of comments here are from people who are, or who have moved to Canada.
If you intend to proceed, expensive or not, you really need a lawyer.

I doubt that anyone here wishes bad things on you, it is more likely is that they see what your family sees - a very risky strategy.
Sad as it might sound, maybe you should consider that this "soul mate" is not "the one"?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KarenCee said:
I seriously doubt that any European country would allow an immigrant with this conviction still active.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
I had seriously thought about posting something similar as Baloo, but I have been trying hard recently to keep an open mind and not judge. People come here for advice, and no matter how the situation seems to me (clear as day) I have been biting back on giving the 'friend' advice. However I do share the same sentiments as Baloo. :(

Cdagal

Jul 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2010
AOR Received.
24-08-2010
File Transfer...
09-08-2010
Med's Done....
23-04-2010
Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
Alternatively, have you explored your options as far as applying for immigration on your own merit? Maybe studying for a year or 2 in Canada or a working holiday? Just a thought..

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
HoneyBird said:
I had seriously thought about posting something similar as Baloo, but I have been trying hard recently to keep an open mind and not judge. People come here for advice, and no matter how the situation seems to me (clear as day) I have been biting back on giving the 'friend' advice. However I do share the same sentiments as Baloo. :(
With you 100% Baloo and HoneyBird - I have had to turn my laptop off a few time due to the frustration with how to reply to this thread however I do have a suggestion.

If you are in fact under 31 years old Zeinab20 don't you look at a visa which is available to travellers under the aged of 31 where you can explore Canada on your terms rather than jump into marriage or anything else which could largely effect your life. This way you have the freedom to 'live' on your own terms while seeing if the relationship you so desire is all that it seems. Just a thought...

Good Luck :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HoneyBird said:

I typed most of it yesterday and came back to it after a lot of thought.

Holiday visa (good option) or not, marriage in this case seems like too much, too soon.

It's only my opinion, for everyone else, it is worth exactly what you paid for it :)

Janadian

Jun 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 18 2010
File Transfer...
02-11-2010
Med's Request
Oct 2011 -2nd Medical request
Med's Done....
October 2009
Interview........
11-01-2011
Application to sponsor and undertaking IMM 1344A (section E) gives you an Eligibilty assessment for a sponsor.

It asks the following questions :

11) Are you currently detained in jail or prison?

12) In the 12 years preceeding your application have you been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence in relation to one of your
family members

16) Have you been charged with an offence that under the Act Of Parliment and is pushable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at
least 10 years?

If you answered yes to 16 you must see theguide to see what circumstances your processing may be suspended

The guide says:

Under what circumstances may processing be suspended?
If any of the proceedings below apply to you and you send a sponsorship application to CPC-M, your application will not be processed until a final decision is rendered with respect to that proceeding.

•You have been charged with the commission of an offence that is punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 10 years.
•You are subject of a report that would render you inadmissible to Canada.
•You are the subject of an application to revoke your citizenship.
•You are the subject of a certificate signed by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and the Solicitor General of Canada stating you are inadmissible on grounds of security, human or international rights violation, serious criminality or organized criminality.
•You are appealing the loss of your permanent resident status.

The Criminal code of Canada says:

Aggravated assault
268. (1) Every one commits an aggravated assault who wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant.
Punishment

(2) Every one who commits an aggravated assault is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years

Breaking and Entering
Breaking and entering with intent, committing offence or breaking out

348. (1) Every one who
(a) breaks and enters a place with intent to commit an indictable offence therein,
(b) breaks and enters a place and commits an indictable offence therein, or
(c) breaks out of a place after
(i) committing an indictable offence therein, or

(ii) entering the place with intent to commit an indictable offence therein,

is guilty
(d) if the offence is committed in relation to a dwelling-house, of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life, and
(e) if the offence is committed in relation to a place other than a dwelling-house, of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years or of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Hope this helps

Z

Zeinab20

Baloo said:
You say "Sometimes you just have to follow your heart," I agree, but you should also use your head. Those that don't either have to be very lucky or suffer the consequences.

OP = original poster (you).
IO = Immigration officer.

There are two parts to my opinion:
First, unless you live with someone you do not know them.
Marriage can be difficult, marriage combined with immigration to (Canada or elsewhere) is much more difficult and stressful.
Marriage, immigration and not knowing the person that you say is your soul mate, is really pushing the boundaries.
Add the fact that your soul mate has at least one recorded event of assault, then you are really on thin ice.
How do you know that a person who has been convicted of a violent offence will not be violent to you?

Secondly, you do not seem to have planned this in detail (or at least you do not mention it).
Can I ask how old you and your partner are? Your replies give the impression that you do not want to hear some things, a trait that some "younger" people exhibit.
(When people get older they do the same, but for different reasons) - note that I am not being ageist here, just factual.

Have you looked at what this is going to cost?
You will need a fair bit of money (and a lot of patience) just to get to Canada legally; It's not just the flights, but immigration fees, medical fees, police certificates and other documentation.
When you arrive in Canada you may well need personal medical cover, depending on where you land (some places do not cover you for the first three months). Getting married is not free, so there is additional cost there. I guess that you know you will not be able to work when you visit Canada. The cost of living in Canada is way more than in the Netherlands (I lived in Sluis recently), about the only major things I can immediately think of that cost less in Canada are Gas and hydro (electricity).

So many of the things you say ( in quite good English BTW ) sound like wishes and dreams of a young and naive person
In my opinion you need to grab a dose of reality, we all know that life is rarely easy, but what you are proposing looks either very dangerous for you, or you are ignoring the risks because you want to be in Canada for some other reason.

There is no logical reason that I can think of for you to be married in the near future. It looks like your man will not be eligible to apply for a pardon until 2031, on top of that you are looking at adding however long the pardon and PR application takes before you can be together.
Even being optimistic, 2032 or 2033 is what you seem to be looking at. That is over twenty years away! Do you really believe that a relationship can work with that amount of separation?
If you think that visiting Canada every year will work, I seriously doubt it, immigration officers tend to frown on multiple long term visits. As a visitor you will have to prove that you will return to the Netherlands. Yes it will be easier than if you needed a visa, but it is not likely to be easy. Immigration would certainly doubt that you would return home when you have a husband in Canada. There seems to be very little you could offer at present as ties to your home, those ties are what immigration needs to see.

You say that you do not ask for opinions, but that is what you get in this forum. The majority of comments here are from people who are, or who have moved to Canada.
If you intend to proceed, expensive or not, you really need a lawyer.

I doubt that anyone here wishes bad things on you, it is more likely is that they see what your family sees - a very risky strategy.
Sad as it might sound, maybe you should consider that this "soul mate" is not "the one"?
Baloo thank you for your elaborated post. I must say reading it was very hard for me because I know that is the truth when it's about the complications for us with Immigration Canada. I didn't know I appeared as naive.I absolutely don't want to hear the positive things only.. I know it is a tough situation. I am member of this forum for two days now and I already gained a lot of knowledge, even though it was not the information that I wanted to hear. I really don't want people to think that I am blinded by love because that is not the case, not at all! Maybe you might find it hard to believe, especially when I tell you that I am 19. (He is 23btw) How do you know that a person who has been convicted of a violent offence will not be violent to you? That is hard to answer as I only know him online and phone , video-chat etc.. But again I just know, sometimes people completely change.
I do know what it will cost a lot and that the preparation itself will cost a lot too. Would I be able to visit him every year for a stay of a few months but without being married? In order to occur a suspicion from the immigration officer? As a visitor you will have to prove that you will return to the Netherlands I assume I can show them the prove by just showing my air ticket? If they ask me with whom I will be staying etc.. I can answer I am visiting my boyfriend.
Please don't judge because I am still young or because my boyfriend his past.. Sad as it might sound, maybe you should consider that this "soul mate" is not "the one"? I have heard this sentence a lot from my family (my family don't support me with this so I am doing this all by myself) but it is always hard to face that sentence. But no, for once I want to follow my heart. (again, I might sound naive or dreamy but I am serious!)
Again thank you for your reply and I know that everyone just wants the best for each other. So I guess I have to think of other options?
What about a study permit? I could study in Canada and do a full program (bachelor degree). It's a four year program. You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your: living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada I read this on the site.. could it be possible for me to obtain a study permit if I assured them that I will stay with my boyfriend?Holiday visa (good option) or not, marriage in this case seems like too much, too soon. What does holiday visa exactly means?

Z

Zeinab20

patiently_waiting said:
With you 100% Baloo and HoneyBird - I have had to turn my laptop off a few time due to the frustration with how to reply to this thread however I do have a suggestion.

If you are in fact under 31 years old Zeinab20 don't you look at a visa which is available to travellers under the aged of 31 where you can explore Canada on your terms rather than jump into marriage or anything else which could largely effect your life. This way you have the freedom to 'live' on your own terms while seeing if the relationship you so desire is all that it seems. Just a thought...

Good Luck :)
Patiently_waiting,

I am not sure whether I understood your suggestion. Can you explain it to me what you meant with visa? Do you mean under: Skilled workers and professionals?
Thank you for wishing me good luck, because I really need it.

Z

Zeinab20

Janadian said:
Application to sponsor and undertaking IMM 1344A (section E) gives you an Eligibilty assessment for a sponsor.

It asks the following questions :

11) Are you currently detained in jail or prison?

12) In the 12 years preceeding your application have you been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence in relation to one of your
family members

16) Have you been charged with an offence that under the Act Of Parliment and is pushable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at
least 10 years?

If you answered yes to 16 you must see theguide to see what circumstances your processing may be suspended

The guide says:

Under what circumstances may processing be suspended?
If any of the proceedings below apply to you and you send a sponsorship application to CPC-M, your application will not be processed until a final decision is rendered with respect to that proceeding.

•You have been charged with the commission of an offence that is punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 10 years.
•You are subject of a report that would render you inadmissible to Canada.
•You are the subject of an application to revoke your citizenship.
•You are the subject of a certificate signed by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and the Solicitor General of Canada stating you are inadmissible on grounds of security, human or international rights violation, serious criminality or organized criminality.
•You are appealing the loss of your permanent resident status.

The Criminal code of Canada says:

Aggravated assault
268. (1) Every one commits an aggravated assault who wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant.
Punishment

(2) Every one who commits an aggravated assault is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years

Breaking and Entering
Breaking and entering with intent, committing offence or breaking out

348. (1) Every one who
(a) breaks and enters a place with intent to commit an indictable offence therein,
(b) breaks and enters a place and commits an indictable offence therein, or
(c) breaks out of a place after
(i) committing an indictable offence therein, or

(ii) entering the place with intent to commit an indictable offence therein,

is guilty
(d) if the offence is committed in relation to a dwelling-house, of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life, and
(e) if the offence is committed in relation to a place other than a dwelling-house, of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years or of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Hope this helps
Janadian, this is just way to much information to me at one time lol. What do they mean with mprisonment ? The probation?

Thank you.

Z

Zeinab20

HoneyBird said:
I know what you mean HoneyBird. You can always advice me though, but I have been hearing that kind of 'friend' advices a lot , even more from my family. And it is really depressing, yes.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zeinab20 said:
How do you know that a person who has been convicted of a violent offence will not be violent to you? That is hard to answer as I only know him online and phone , video-chat etc.. But again I just know, sometimes people completely change.
That is not that logical, you cannot know yet, that is why I said you do not know someone before you live with them.
Blind faith is not a good choice in my opinion. Ask yourself "why did he assault someone", is there is ANY chance he could do it to you?
If the guy really cares he will understand why you would be cautious, if he does not understand - stay away.

So that others can understand more about where you are, can I ask how long did you communicate before marriage came up as a subject, and who proposed to who?

Zeinab20 said:
Would I be able to visit him every year for a stay of a few months but without being married? In order to occur a suspicion from the immigration officer? As a visitor you will have to prove that you will return to the Netherlands I assume I can show them the prove by just showing my air ticket? If they ask me with whom I will be staying etc.. I can answer I am visiting my boyfriend.
In many cases, just showing air tickets is not enough. You need ties to your home in the Netherlands. Things like rental agreements or leases for property, a job, a letter from an employer detailing a leave of absence, and many other things. You may need a letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada. If your boyfriend provides this (and Immigration check him out ) then I would guess that you are likely to be in for some difficult questions. Please read the CIC web site for more info' (link later).

Zeinab20 said:
I have heard this sentence a lot from my family (my family don't support me with this so I am doing this all by myself) but it is always hard to face that sentence. But no, for once I want to follow my heart. (again, I might sound naive or dreamy but I am serious!)
There is a very good reason reason why your family does not support this. Even people here in the forum feel uncomfortable that you may become a victim.

Zeinab20 said:
What about a study permit?
Read here first
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

Zeinab20 said:
Holiday visa (good option) or not, marriage in this case seems like too much, too soon. What does holiday visa exactly means?
Others will no doubt answer this.

Read up on being a visitor here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

Do you have comments on the following points:
1) Marrying later (what is the rush, you are not gaining anything in as a Canada married person)?
2) The very long term separation and long distance relationship,if there is no other way than spousal sponsorship?

Z

Zeinab20

Baloo,

Thank you for replying so fast! Well, let me first answer on your questions. That is not that logical, you cannot know yet, that is why I said you do not know someone before you live with them In that you have a point.

We have been communicating for about a half year.My boyfriend proposed to me. If your boyfriend provides this (and Immigration check him out ) then I would guess that you are likely to be in for some difficult questions. Please read the CIC web site for more info' (link later). I just checked the website.. what should I think of 'difficult question' ?

Do you have comments on the following points:
1) Marrying later (what is the rush, you are not gaining anything in as a Canada married person)?
2) The very long term separation and long distance relationship,if there is no other way than spousal sponsorship?

Yes I have. 1. Because of my families traditions... and it is just taboo for me to be in a relationship with a man without being married. It would be a shame to my family and I don't want to bring them in this uncomfortable situation.
2.That I just don't want to think about. :( God knows best.