+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Rick4Life

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Hi Everyone,
I’m travelling to Montenegro on 14th September 2024 ( in two weeks) I will flight to Frankfurt first and take the other flight to Montenegro. I booked my flights through Lufthansa. I have a pr card. I know I’m fine with travelling to germany and montenegro with RTD and having PR. But my question is my RTD will expire on 20th February 2025 so by the time I’ll be travelling I’ll have 5 months 6 days remaining validity.

As you might heard before, some countries request at least 6 months of validiation.
I checked Germany’s passport validity restrictions. Luckily I found information in regards to my question. I am fine in terms of what they posted on their official website. -4 months of validity is fine to enter germany.
but I could not find any information about montenegro. I e-mailed them.

They sent me this first “pass through the territory of and stay in Montenegro up to 30 days, and not longer than the expiry of the validity of the residence permit or APEC Business Travel Card, if the period of validity is less than 30 days.”

When I asked more details as this did not make sense so they said;
“You should check with the Airline you flying if they have any restrictions in this regard.”

Guys any experience related to my situation. I already purchased my returning ticket as well and I am going to print out just in case. Finger crossed!
Travelers need a valid passport to enter Montenegro. The traveler's passport must remain valid for at least 3 months after the traveler departs from Montenegro.

ThisisM

Sep 12, 2024
I have a refugee travel document. And I just got my PR. I am planning to go on holiday next year in April. However, my passport expires in August. It seems like it would be a problem for me to leave the country because there will be three months left before the expiration of my passport. Therefore, I want to apply for a new passport now. To get it for 5 years. However, can I apply for a renewal while my current passport still has 10 months left? If I do, how long will it take to get it? Thanks

Kimob

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto
I have a refugee travel document. And I just got my PR. I am planning to go on holiday next year in April. However, my passport expires in August. It seems like it would be a problem for me to leave the country because there will be three months left before the expiration of my passport. Therefore, I want to apply for a new passport now. To get it for 5 years. However, can I apply for a renewal while my current passport still has 10 months left? If I do, how long will it take to get it? Thanks
Yes you can apply for a new one, just write a letter with the reason of why you are applying a bit earlier (travel plan) and they will process your application and it shouldn't take more than a month, mine came in 3 weeks

gagamohi3

Jun 25, 2024
Hi,
Thanks Ranbowbee. You did a great job providing this very important and accurate information. I'll try to translate it to Arabic so the Arab community can benefit from it too (after your permission).

Now, I'd suggest we use this post to share our travel experience using our Travel Document. I'll be the first to share hoping others jump on board too.

I got mine last year for 2 years too. I am still not a PR. I applied for Schengen Visa and had to travel to Ottawa for the finger print to get my visa. I received the visa by mail in 2 weeks.

I traveled by air to Germany and cleared Schengen Zone with no issue. Then I traveled all around Germany using different transportation methods. I flew to Czech Republic. Rode a bus to Poland. Mini bus to Slovenia. Another bus to Hungary. Slovenia-Hungary border was the only border, they came on the bus and checked passports. Speed train from Hungary to Austria. Train from Austria to Switzerland. Train to the Netherlands. Bus to Belgium. Fly back to Canada. All went very smooth with no issue.

I might be able to try different European countries again this year. However, I am thinking of going without Schengen Visa this time to save $ but don't think the risk/reward worth it specially with all the Migration issues in Europe.

Let's hear from the others.
Hi, I just wanted to know , if you don't have the PR card and holding the RTD as a refugee, Can you fly directly from Canada without having PRTD or PR Card ?
I heard that re-entering to canada you need either PR card or PRTD even with RTD.

Last edited:

mjlistic

May 20, 2014
Hello Everyone,
Please my question is simple. Can someone travel to Cuba or Jamaica from Canada only with PR card and RTD. Are any visas required with these two?

fazalmzm

Jul 22, 2024
Hi,

Hi, I just wanted to know , if you don't have the PR card and holding the RTD as a refugee, Can you fly directly from Canada without having PRTD or PR Card ?
I heard that re-entering to canada you need either PR card or PRTD even with RTD.
You dont need PR or PRTD, just RTD is enough,but they will ask you few questions.

mjlistic

May 20, 2014
Hello Everyone,
Please my question is simple. Can someone travel to Cuba or Jamaica from Canada only with PR card and RTD. Are any visas required with these two?