+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Thank you for your quick response. I feel the same—I don’t want to risk it by waiting until the last minute. Did you apply for the urgent one? I saw your earlier messages about the timing, and it seems you got the new one pretty fast.
It was fast actually. I did apply and a month later they said that my photos are not acceptable. I sent new ones and they sent my old and new travel documents very fast.
It was not urgent and no travel date.

AlperD.

Jun 23, 2024
Hey everyone.
My wife has a PR and a Refugee Travel Document. We got married in Canada a year ago. She is in Turkey with me. My question is; Can she get a Turkish permanent residency without a problem for Canada? We want to stay for a year here but unfortunately if we don’t apply for a long term residency visa, she can’t stay longer than 30 days.

harry150

Aug 27, 2024
Hi Everyone,

I applied for the RTD this year in February and still waiting to receive it. There has been a lot of back and forth, first with pictures and now my references. If any of you could share some guidance from your experience, it would be of great help. I have provided multiple references, but every time the application comes back stating they couldn't reach the references. Did any of you use any alternative ways of getting the references approved that you can share?

Last edited:

leo555

Mar 20, 2024
Hello, i am protected person, no PR yet, can i travel out and back inside canada with no problems just with RTD?

Also if do not know anyone as guarantor in those specific professions, what should i do to get RTD?

thank you

theclaimer

Jul 29, 2022
If you can’t find a guarantor
You must

• complete the Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor form
  • find someone who can administer an oath to swear to and sign the form
    • This person doesn’t need to know you personally.
    • If you’re in Canada,this can be a
      • notary public
      • justice of the peace
      • commissioner for oaths
    • If you’re outside Canada, this can be a
      • Canadian or British diplomatic or consular representative
      • Qualified local official, such as a civil servant or member of Parliament
Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor form
The Statutory Declaration in Lieu of a Guarantor form is not available online. To get the form

Weblink: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#td

Pinkangelma29

Star Member
May 13, 2024
Hi Everyone,
I’m travelling to Montenegro on 14th September 2024 ( in two weeks) I will flight to Frankfurt first and take the other flight to Montenegro. I booked my flights through Lufthansa. I have a pr card. I know I’m fine with travelling to germany and montenegro with RTD and having PR. But my question is my RTD will expire on 20th February 2025 so by the time I’ll be travelling I’ll have 5 months 6 days remaining validity.

As you might heard before, some countries request at least 6 months of validiation.
I checked Germany’s passport validity restrictions. Luckily I found information in regards to my question. I am fine in terms of what they posted on their official website. -4 months of validity is fine to enter germany.
but I could not find any information about montenegro. I e-mailed them.

They sent me this first “pass through the territory of and stay in Montenegro up to 30 days, and not longer than the expiry of the validity of the residence permit or APEC Business Travel Card, if the period of validity is less than 30 days.”

When I asked more details as this did not make sense so they said;
“You should check with the Airline you flying if they have any restrictions in this regard.”

Guys any experience related to my situation. I already purchased my returning ticket as well and I am going to print out just in case. Finger crossed!

Last edited:

Kanadi

Sep 7, 2024
Hello everyone,
I applied for RTD in july, sent the documents and post canada shows that they were received july 17th. I never received an acknowledge of receipt. So few days ago I decided to call IRCC and the agent told me they received the application and I just need to wait for updates. When I asked for the application number, they gave me a 10 digits number(doesn't start with a letter) I asked and repeated to confirm the number and they told me it is the one. But I always thought application numbers for IRCC start with a letter and have 9 digits. For those who have received their application number. is it 10 digits? I couldn't find my application online to link it to my online profile. And what is the processing time for RTD in recent times??

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Hello everyone,
I applied for RTD in july, sent the documents and post canada shows that they were received july 17th. I never received an acknowledge of receipt. So few days ago I decided to call IRCC and the agent told me they received the application and I just need to wait for updates. When I asked for the application number, they gave me a 10 digits number(doesn't start with a letter) I asked and repeated to confirm the number and they told me it is the one. But I always thought application numbers for IRCC start with a letter and have 9 digits. For those who have received their application number. is it 10 digits? I couldn't find my application online to link it to my online profile. And what is the processing time for RTD in recent times??
You can call them sometimes and check the application status. You can’t check it online. Its all numbers. I applied 2 times and both travel document application numbers were not starting with letter. Processing time is 20 business days.

Reactions: Kanadi and adamkw

Albi Komi

Apr 3, 2024
Hello! Anyone has travelled to Domenian Republic with RTD and no PR card? Do they ask to many questions and did they give any difficulties?

Ahmed-Ali2020

Dec 17, 2019
Did anyone go Turkey? How was their visa application process? RTD no PR
I was in Turkey at May 2024, got the visa from Turkey embassy in Vancouver. During that time only have RTD no PR. Just prepare all the required documents and you will get the visa within couple of weeks. In my case I got it within 5 days.
Good luck.