+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2024

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It's based on your situation at the time of submitting the application not your status at the time when you submitted your interest to sponsor. That's what's determines who you can sponsor. The Interest to Sponsor is more of you saying "I want to sponsor to these people"...now you're submitting the application to actually sponsor them, so if you're situation has changed, you can submit the application for your parents only and maybe add a letter of explanation that your brother is no longer eligible. The door to him coming to Canada is not closed, he can always come here for schooling (and maybe move on to become a PR resident from there) but he will probably have a hard time convincing immigration that he's truly here for school if his entire immediate family lives in Canada.

That's something you'll need to discuss with your parents.

TLDR; Submit the application for your parents and determine an alternative way for your brother to immigrate to Canada.

EDIT: From the official source

Children 22 or older qualify as dependants if they
  • have depended on their parents for financial support since before they were 22 and
  • can’t financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
The only way you'd be able to add to the application is if you can prove number 2 and I could imagine you'd have to include some pretty strong evidence to support that.
Also want to add that if the brother has mental or physical condition that made him unable to support himself, he likely won't pass medical. And the whole application will be refused.

The brother is young and you can financially support him to gain enough education and points to immigrate on his own.

Son gill

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Hello..in the past i sponsored both my parents and my husband was a co-signer(parents still waiting for their PR)
Now we are sponsoring my in laws and my husband is the sponsor and i am the co-signer
I am confused how to fill the financial evaluation form…
1. I put 2 for 3(A) that’s current undertaking
2. For previous undertakings should it be 3(B) number iii or iv?
3. Number 5 for spouse?

Under Employment History for family Size (Q 17) do we add our parents in the family size on the year we apply for their PR?
Like for year 2024 we are sponsoring our in-laws and parents were sponsored in year 2021...so should our family size be 7( Husband, Wife, Child, both side parents)?

Your help will be highly appreciated...thanks

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Hello..in the past i sponsored both my parents and my husband was a co-signer(parents still waiting for their PR)
Now we are sponsoring my in laws and my husband is the sponsor and i am the co-signer
I am confused how to fill the financial evaluation form…
1. I put 2 for 3(A) that’s current undertaking
2. For previous undertakings should it be 3(B) number iii or iv?
3. Number 5 for spouse?

Under Employment History for family Size (Q 17) do we add our parents in the family size on the year we apply for their PR?
Like for year 2024 we are sponsoring our in-laws and parents were sponsored in year 2021...so should our family size be 7( Husband, Wife, Child, both side parents)?

Your help will be highly appreciated...thanks
1. 3(A) = 2
2. 3(B) (iv) = 2
3. 5 = 1,
4. 6 = 1
5. 7 = 7 (should auto fill)

Family size in Q14 and Q17 should be 7.

make sure your income is greater than or equal to the number from the income requirements table under 7 people.

Reactions: YVR123 and Son gill

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
@shiremag I wrote my mom and dads name in question 12 “every other family member not listed above and dependent on you financially weather living with you or not. We are 3 people me(sponsor) and my mom and dad (being sponsored). So the final number of people the form calculated was 3. But question number 6 also asks that same question but I put 0 in that box. I put (2) in 3A current undertaking. Was it correct to list my mom and dad’s names in question 12? Will my application get rejected or delayed?

Son gill

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Hi everyone...
1. 3(A) = 2
2. 3(B) (iv) = 2
3. 5 = 1,
4. 6 = 1
5. 7 = 7 (should auto fill)

Family size in Q14 and Q17 should be 7.

make sure your income is greater than or equal to the number from the income requirements table under 7 people.
Thank you so much for ur response…Under additional application forms do i need to fill any other form other than IMM 5768?

pablotoronto

May 16, 2024
You need to include all children of the principal applicant whether they are Canadian citizens or permanent residents. This applies to all dependents of the principal applicant on whose behalf the principal applicant is filling out IMM5406.

The confusing part in the instruction is this line: "You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. "

So the principle applicant must fill all generic mandatory forms:
  • Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
  • Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
  • Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669)
  • Supplementary Information: Your Travels (IMM 5562)
The principle applicant must fill ALL of these forms above on behalf of all family members 18 and above who are not already Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

For example you are sponsoring your parents and this is the family composition:

Example 1:
Parent1, Parent2, biological Child1 (sponsor), and biological Child2.
Let's say Child1 is sponsoring based on the invite as a result of winning the PGP lottery.
Let's say Child2 is also a Canadian citizen but did not will the PGP lottery.
Let's say Parent1 is the primary applicant. Parent1 who is the primary applicant, must fill IMM 0008, IMM 5406, IMM 5669, and IMM 5652 for themselves and also on behalf of Parent2. They don't need to fill this form out for Child2 as they are already a Canadian citizen

Example 2:
Parent1, Parent2, biological Child1 (sponsor), and biological Child2.
Let's say Child1 is sponsoring based on the invite as a result of winning the PGP lottery.
Let's say Child2 is over 18 but not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Let's say Parent1 is the primary applicant. Parent1 who is the primary applicant, must fill IMM 0008, IMM 5406, IMM 5669, and IMM 5652 for themselves and also on behalf of Parent2 and Child2.

This does not exclude the Parent1 from listing both Child1 and Child2 in IMM 5406 in both examples. Additionally, Parent2 must also list Child1 and Child2 on IMM 5406

TL;DR: List ALL children, including adopted children and step-children, regardless of age and status in Canada.
what about if the child over 18 does not qualify as a dependant based on the criteria? Say over 25, married, not financially dependent at all on PA, and non Canadian?

Absinthetx

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
I just submitted the PGP application but I am unable to link account to GC Key - I have tried various combinations. Do I have to wait for some time before linking the application ?