+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

jananicmouli

Star Member
Aug 3, 2021
Hello again, I just got my Passport Surrender back and applying for OCI ASAP as I can officially provide an employment letter before my job contract ends. So y'all bet I'm going to be asking multiple questions in here.

Now, my first question; In Part B, they are asking if you have relatives living in India. Both my parents are living outside India and I only have 1 living grandparent currently, so how many relatives should I provide?
2nd question is, the requirement for signature upload is a certain crop dimensions and image size. However, when I do the same, the signature gets cut a little bit at the bottom. Is that acceptable or should I re-upload? TIA!

That's it for now, but I'm sure more will follow in due course!

Reactions: gopalk

tonystark13

Jun 19, 2024
Hello again, I just got my Passport Surrender back and applying for OCI ASAP as I can officially provide an employment letter before my job contract ends. So y'all bet I'm going to be asking multiple questions in here.

Now, my first question; In Part B, they are asking if you have relatives living in India. Both my parents are living outside India and I only have 1 living grandparent currently, so how many relatives should I provide?
2nd question is, the requirement for signature upload is a certain crop dimensions and image size. However, when I do the same, the signature gets cut a little bit at the bottom. Is that acceptable or should I re-upload? TIA!
1st question - answer is in your question. just 1 grand parent in India
2nd question - it should be your full signature, re-upload, May be use paint to crop and have some extra space at the bottom, so it doesn't cut at the bottom -

Reactions: jananicmouli

Essess

May 8, 2024
Thank you! But what does the actual status mean--am I required to do something? I'm confused by "ready for collection after OCI stamping" -- the card is in the mail (it has a Purlator tracking number) and why it would say it's ready after OCI stamping, as if I have to do something?

I applied around the middle of May, to Brampton. By Post. About two weeks ago the status on the OCI website changed to processed, and it finally changed on the BLS website yesterday and was dispatched.
Ready for collection for Purolator if you paid for that you only need to wait without stress . There is tracking number it means Purolator picked up now will deliver

Navs11

Star Member
Sep 8, 2021
How long does it take for the status to update on OCI enquiry website after submitting in person at Surrey BLS.

I did my submission on 28 June and still showing under process on BLS website.

No record found on OCI enquiry website?
Same here. Mine was postal application received by Surrey BLS on 28th June.
Status Under Process on BLS Site. No record found on OCI Status Enquiry site.

Canada_ka_bulawa

Star Member
Jul 10, 2020
Hello,
I recently received Canadian citizenship and a passport and have to start the process with BLS.
I wanted to enquire if I can submit a 'citizenship surrender' and OCI application at the same time or if this needs to be done separately.
Do I need to wait for the Indian citizenship surrender process to be completed before applying for OCI?
Needs to be done separately. You need the surrender certificate in hand and with your OCI application. First step is passport surrender typically takes 2 weeks. Then do the OCI application with the surrender certificate in hand

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
This question has been repeated so many times! But you just need to have an easy way out, eh? Take your time and go through the posts - people aren't going to answer same questions again and again!

You CANNOT apply for surrender and OCI at the same time. For OCI, you need to surrender your Indian Passport first as it is a requirement.
Shaant gadha dhaari bheem shaant ;)

• Haha
Reactions: adstarscream732
Jul 9, 2024
Submitted OCI application yesterday at BLS Mississauga for 2 adults and 1 child. They pushed for purolator, but we declined given it was additional $180 for 3 applications.
I heard that pickup is not available at Mississauga yet, so does anyone know how will we be able to pickup? The lady at the counter obviously said that you may have to go to Toronto or Brampton, but was not clear in her response.

From where you collect your OCI at BLS mississauga or somewhere else.
Because i also applied from mississauga location.

Minigolf123

Aug 13, 2018
Got my OCI card yesterday. I opted for pickup from Mississauga and was successfuly able to pickup from BLS Mississauga. At the time of submission they were denying that pickup facility is not available for Mississauga and I have to pay $60 per application for Purolator (I had 4), but i did not pay as it made no sense to pay $240 when i can collect it in 10 minutes. They were adamant and i said that I am ok even if it is delayed.
Yesterday, There was no pickup queue and they handed over the OCI in 10 minutes. People planning to submit in Mississauga can take note of it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: adstarscream732

listerine

Oct 9, 2023
My post here got approved this morning, but I already had my appointment today. I did what abbas also suggested. Had created 2 applications. One like what the link in my post said, and the other with Address of my old employer. I didn't need the second application as nobody raised eyes on the first one, so it went through fine. Now hoping there aren't any issues in the processing at the consulate.
Quick follow up on this as I am unable to edit this post. Want to warn people before following what I did.
Had a friend who did the same. BLS accepted it, but the application was returned by the Consulate to BLS, and my friend had to resubmit some of the forms. I think it's better to avoid doing what I did as can cause un-necessary hiccups in the applications. Might have worked for me and others, but would recommending other ways around it.

Reactions: kauraman1996

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
Got my OCI card yesterday. I opted for pickup from Mississauga and was successfuly able to pickup from BLS Mississauga. At the time of submission they were denying that pickup facility is not available for Mississauga and I have to pay $60 per application for Purolator (I had 4), but i did not pay as it made no sense to pay $240 when i can collect it in 10 minutes. They were adamant and i said that I am ok even if it is delayed.
Yesterday, There was no pickup queue and they handed over the OCI in 10 minutes. People planning to submit in Mississauga can take note of it.
Lucky you!

beckhsrules

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FSW
Job Offer........
Yes
In OCI Registration under "Applicant's Passport Details" it says to enter as per Indian Passport in the instructions PDF. Should this section contain my Indian Passport Number or Canadian ?