+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My knowledge of getting an LMIA while working in Canada & asking your opinions.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
theshak said:
That is a very ignorant response when you don't know everyones backgrounds and reasons. I feel I should not even dignify you with a response but then you won't learn anything.

My girlfriend of nearly 7 years lived with me in Ireland for a good 5 years. She had to go back to Canada or she would lose her PR card which would of been a terrible considering all her family live in Canada. I decided to take to plunge and travel back with her on a work visa. My main goal is to stay with my longterm girlfriend in Canada, not for money or a better job. So no, I can't just go somewhere else.
If you want to be with your girlfriend, then you know what your priorities are.

Anyway, this question was directed at everyone else too, not just you. I have to ask again: If you feel so screwed by the new system, WHY are you still soo fixated on Canada? Why aren't you looking at other places to immigrate to?

It just strikes me as strange that someone would complain about how unfair Canada has become to them, yet still want to get PR here.

It's like not liking a product but continuing to buy it. Who in their right mind does that? It makes no sense.

biz

Dec 22, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
EE
Passport Req..
10-06-2016
LANDED..........
30-06-2016
theshak said:
Hi Everyone,

I am working with an immigration solicitor through my company but given the process is so new I was curious to know your opinions. I also wanted to share my knowledge of getting an LMIA if you are working in Canada already.

1) I submitted my profile to the CIC for EE on Jan 19th. I am yet to receive any PDF message and my Application/profile status has nothing in its status details. Have I missed the cut for the January draw?

2) Without an LMIA I have 477 points. I went through the community created spreadsheet and I think I was in the top 6-8%. Do you think many people will have LMIA's and do you think I stand a chance?

I am currently living in Canada on a work visa but my companies solicitor has highly recommended I attain an LMIA even though I am already working for my company. The process of getting an LMIA while working in the country is quite odd actually. Your company first has to advertise YOUR job with a general description. After about a month when there has been a number of applications your company basically fills out documentation to show that you are the most qualified and you are not taking work from any Canadians. From there it can take 6-8 weeks for you LMIA to come through. Even then there is about an 80% chance of success.

I honestly think the EE process is a tad odd for anyone already working in the country. To my knowledge most Immigration Solicitors are a tad annoyed at the CIC as they feel they were not given a huge amount of notice and have not been very transparent so literally everyone is in the same boat in regards to knowledge of the process.

Anyway I would be curious to hear your feedback.

Many thanks,

Shak
The CIC website mentioned about NoFEE Lmia that an employer can apply for their skilled workers. Is this the same process as regular Lmia application? Any idea?

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
biz said:
The CIC website mentioned about NoFEE Lmia that an employer can apply for their skilled workers. Is this the same process as regular Lmia application? Any idea?
CIC said that employers would be able to get a free LMIA within 10 business days for the purposes of supporting an Express Entry profile, however ESDC didn't seem to get the memo and have no mention of this on their sites or on the forms.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
doubleym said:
CIC said that employers would be able to get a free LMIA within 10 business days for the purposes of supporting an Express Entry profile, however ESDC didn't seem to get the memo and have no mention of this on their sites or on the forms.
That is all in theory for now and this would only be applicable AFTER people have been added to job bank and obviously already been given ITA. Since their employers would still need to get LMIA to hire them, THOSE LMIAs would be issued without fee and on a short notice (obviously the employer is hiring a soon to become PR, not recruiting a temp foreign worker).

I believe it will take a while until we know how this one turns out. Probably not in the first few draws of EE.

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
fkl said:
That is all in theory for now and this would only be applicable AFTER people have been added to job bank and obviously already been given ITA. Since their employers would still need to get LMIA to hire them, THOSE LMIAs would be issued without fee and on a short notice (obviously the employer is hiring a soon to become PR, not recruiting a temp foreign worker).

I believe it will take a while until we know how this one turns out. Probably not in the first few draws of EE.
Why would they need an LMIA after they have already received an ITA?...

fl_pie

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
fkl said:
It's true that there aren't a lot of TFW's with LMO's / LMIA based work permits. So you guys who generally have good scores otherwise shouldn't worry much. I believe you would easily make it through.

The last point above is not valid. It is not the validity of LMO. Any LMO is max valid for six months and that is only for applying for work permit. Basically if you have an LMO based work permit that is valid for a while (work permit is valid, not LMO), you are good to get the 600 points.
Can you provide a link on this? The closest I found on CIC website is this "If you have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment for an employee holding a temporary work permit to whom you wish to extend a permanent job offer, the LMIA may still be valid under Express Entry". This "may still be valid" part is not very clear and doesn't directly state that, for EE purposes, LMIA is valid as long as the work permit is valid; rather, it says that LMIA may still be valid, which sounds to me like it may become invalid, too.

fl_pie

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
marcus66502 said:
At this point, I have to ask: Why Canada?

Judging from all the whining and complaining in here about how difficult it's become, I find it strange that you are STILL fixated on getting PR in Canada.

It's not the only country in the world you know. If it's become so hard, if you feel screwed, WHY aren't you looking at other countries already? Makes no sense that you continue picking at something that has made you feel so shortchanged. It doesn't lend originality to your real concerns.
Are you Canadian?

biz

Dec 22, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
EE
Passport Req..
10-06-2016
LANDED..........
30-06-2016
fkl said:

Yeah, this is something that is unclear to all employers.
As you're saying NO FEE Lmia will only be issued to those employers for applicants with ITA?

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcus66502 said:
It's like not liking a product but continuing to buy it. Who in their right mind does that? It makes no sense.
No, it's not like that at all, it's very primitive to think that way. Life is not black and white and life is not whether you like something and get it or you dislike something and don't get it. Life is more complicated and affected by many things.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
A.B.123 said:
No, it's not like that at all, it's very primitive to think that way. Life is not black and white and life is not whether you like something and get it or you dislike something and don't get it. Life is more complicated and affected by many things.
If you're not going to answer the question, you shouldn't respond. I'm not interested in general philosophy, which by the way has zero value in the daily grind. Life is not black and white? Wow, gee, that's something that never ever crossed my mind before. I don't know how to thank you. ::)

My question still stands: if you're complaining about how hard Express Entry has made it for people like CEC, or PGWP or whatever, maybe it's time to look elsewhere, other than Canada?

I'm pretty sure in any other area of life if there was something you no longer liked or which wasn't going according your plan, you would change strategy. Why not here?

I don't know what good you think complaining here would do. And if you're one of those who believes that writing to CIC, or to MP's in Ottawa is going to change things back to how they were, then I really feel sorry for you. Anyone who thinks he has any standing to just demand what he wants from a foreign government does not deserve any university degrees he's been given.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
fl_pie said:
Are you Canadian?
No he is not, he is a landed immigrant. And now he spends time on the internet gloating immigrant-wannabes that got screwed by CIC policies.

fl_pie

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
mf4361 said:
No he is not, he is a landed immigrant. And now he spends time on the internet gloating immigrant-wannabes that got screwed by CIC policies.
Wow. Just wow. I thought he was a Canadian guy who was worried about immigrants taking jobs from Canadian citizens or something, which would be at least somewhat understandable. If he's a lucky immigrant picking on people who are still struggling in process of immigration, I'm just speechless.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
doubleym said:
Why would they need an LMIA after they have already received an ITA?...
Because they haven't yet become PRs. They are about to apply for say CEC or FSW. Having ITA does not make them eligible to work for any one in Canada.

However, what CIC is actually aiming is to avoid people wasting close to a year looking for jobs after landing as a PR.

They want people to get jobs while they are in process. On top they want to give PR faster to those who already have jobs.

One element which i feel people overlook when under going PR process is that finding first job in Canada might be harder than the PR process itself. There is a lot of obsession of "Canadian Experience" in many ways. So unless you are from a profession with really good prospects OR you have a skill that is not common in Canadians and is needed here, you would have a hard time finding work.

This whole EE thing would kind of over come that in many ways. At least that is the intent. Let's see how effective it turns out

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
fl_pie said:
Can you provide a link on this? The closest I found on CIC website is this "If you have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment for an employee holding a temporary work permit to whom you wish to extend a permanent job offer, the LMIA may still be valid under Express Entry". This "may still be valid" part is not very clear and doesn't directly state that, for EE purposes, LMIA is valid as long as the work permit is valid; rather, it says that LMIA may still be valid, which sounds to me like it may become invalid, too.
The fact that LMOs are accepted as an alternate (their is an official link that states "LMO/LMIA" based job as a requirement for the 600 points) and they were abandoned at least a year ago. No LMO or LMIA is valid for more than six months so definitely the concern is not about LMO/LMIA's validity but that of work permit. Since only work permits can be valid at the time of express entry process commencement.

Some helpful text

and either:

the employer making you the job offer must have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada OR
you are currently working in Canada in a NOC 0, A or B job on a work permit that was issued based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment, and
you are working for an employer listed on your work permit,
you are authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued, and
your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job if you are accepted as a permanent resident.
In other words, your job offer is valid, whether you are working in Canada or not, if your current or prospective employer:

has made an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you are accepted as a permanent resident, and
has a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from ESDC.
The only time the employer making you the offer does not need to get a new LMIA is when you are already working for them with a work permit that is based on an LMIA.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp

Update: There is no MAY here. The link to equate LMO/LMIA is separate. I have posted that before in some other threads. But i guess the above was what you were looking for.