+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My knowledge of getting an LMIA while working in Canada & asking your opinions.

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Hi Folks,

Just a slight update. I got an email from Jobs Bank with my login details so my registration is not complete. The thing is on my EE profile it still says Job Bank Registration - Pending. Do you think this will change soon and do you think it is done manually by people at the CIC?

Thanks,

Shak

p.s. you guys have been awesome, so glad I came here.

fl_pie

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
fkl said:
The fact that LMOs are accepted as an alternate (their is an official link that states "LMO/LMIA" based job as a requirement for the 600 points) and they were abandoned at least a year ago. No LMO or LMIA is valid for more than six months so definitely the concern is not about LMO/LMIA's validity but that of work permit. Since only work permits can be valid at the time of express entry process commencement.

Some helpful text

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp
I now see your point, thanks.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
@Folks - there is a very little chance of a native born Canadian citizen to be on this forum. At least it is less likely - because some one born here never considers or knows about immigration processes and hence forums.

Mostly people here are landed immigrants. Many of them have been citizens by now, but at some point in time they stumbled on this forum primarily looking for information relating to immigration.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
One more aspect that i would like to shed my opinion on.

Yes CIC has made PR process a bit more difficult. But it favors people with job offers or already working here.

CIC has a problem. There are lots of landed PR's who have horror stories of their first years here looking for jobs and often settling on lower skilled jobs - not related to their professions. And at the same time their is an influx of temp foreign workers being hired.

As far as i understand CIC wants to combine both above situations (actually this was the precise wording when they originally announced EE for the first time). Some thing like "bring your LMOs and instead of being a temp worker and worrying about your status expiry, come as a PR". So they would significantly cut down on temp workers latter as a result of this program AND there would be fewer PRs without jobs.

The reason it most strongly hurts the people with PGWP. I hear it and feel it. But here is what CIC thinks (i know you won't like it and i won't either if i was a PGWP holder).

You got a degree in Canada and you feel that gives you the right to work here and become residents. Unfortunately, CIC thinks you deserve to work only for the same length of period that you studied earlier. Beyond that you are the same kind of person to them. Taking jobs AWAY from Canadians.

Since you didn't have to go through the painful LMIA process the first time - it hurts a lot to do that now. Specially because earlier, just a year done on PGWP made you eligible for CEC. However, i still think you would be able to get through without LMIA based job offer and once you get an ITA, it is still the same process with lesser total time.

So try not to be down sided too much by it. All the very best.

You are just feeling bad because of those getting extra 600. But those are often a much more qualified class of people needed in Canada and there aren't many of them.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
fkl said:

Yes CIC has made PR process a bit more difficult. But it favors people with job offers or already working here.

CIC has a problem. There are lots of landed PR's who have horror stories of their first years here looking for jobs and often settling on lower skilled jobs - not related to their professions. And at the same time their is an influx of temp foreign workers being hired.

As far as i understand CIC wants to combine both above situations (actually this was the precise wording when they originally announced EE for the first time). Some thing like "bring your LMOs and instead of being a temp worker and worrying about your status expiry, come as a PR". So they would significantly cut down on temp workers latter as a result of this program AND there would be fewer PRs without jobs.

The reason it most strongly hurts the people with PGWP. I hear it and feel it. But here is what CIC thinks (i know you won't like it and i won't either if i was a PGWP holder).

You got a degree in Canada and you feel that gives you the right to work here and become residents. Unfortunately, CIC thinks you deserve to work only for the same length of period that you studied earlier. Beyond that you are the same kind of person to them. Taking jobs AWAY from Canadians.

Since you didn't have to go through the painful LMIA process the first time - it hurts a lot to do that now. Specially because earlier, just a year done on PGWP made you eligible for CEC. However, i still think you would be able to get through without LMIA based job offer and once you get an ITA, it is still the same process with lesser total time.

You are just feeling bad because of those getting extra 600. But those are often a much more qualified class of people needed in Canada and there aren't many of them.
+1

Lets hope for the best

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
fkl said:

I read in a different thread that only 1500 LMO/LMIA's were awarded last year. If this is true then we can expect pretty much the same this year. This means that those without that documentation and a decent score out of 600 should still have a relatively good chance of getting an ITA. Does that sound right?

Also once again, Do you think this will change soon and do you think it is done manually by people at the CIC? I am registered on Job Bank not but my rofile has not be updated to reflect that.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
theshak said:
I read in a different thread that only 1500 LMO/LMIA's were awarded last year. If this is true then we can expect pretty much the same this year. This means that those without that documentation and a decent score out of 600 should still have a relatively good chance of getting pr status. Does that sound right?

Also once again, Do you think this will change soon and do you think it is done manually by people at the CIC? I am registered on Job Bank not but my rofile has not be updated to reflect that.
For the first part, YES. Also if it makes you feel any better, it is your assumption all of those 1500 or whatever the number applied on day one for PR. No they did not. I am one and i have no plans of applying for at least another few months based upon a list of my own reasons. I know at least 5-10 other people with confirmed 600 out of which only two have applied right now. Even then, we are all much older and experienced guys than the average 25 year olds scoring close to 500 in the first 600. So we loose points for age. Besides we usually don't have time, energy or to waste money on WES either (if we can do without it - and currently we can). Imagine some body graduated a decade ago from a university in some remote part of the world. And they are currently working in Canada. It's joke to expect them to ask their university to send official transcript to some body in Canada. It is not impossible but certainly difficult. I have no plans to do that (unless there is no other way) and no one else i know does also. So despite having a BS, MS or a PhD, this means our scores are impacted by that - down to considered equal to say 12th grade or whatever. Just an example to make you more comfortable, my colleague sitting next to me is precisely this case.

So yes those getting the full 600 - often end up totaling around 800 - 950. And not every one of them applies currently. So there definitely are going to be those picked up who have good scores out of only 600.

The last part i have no idea about. Time will tell. But i think you guys are far more concerned than you should be.

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
fkl said:
For the first part, YES. Also if it makes you feel any better, it is your assumption all of those 1500 or whatever the number applied on day for PR. No they did not. I am one and i have no plans of applying for at least another few months based upon a list of my own reasons. I know at least 5-10 other people with confirmed 600 out of which only two have applied right now. Even then, we are all much older and experienced guys then the average 25 year olds scoring close to 500 in the first 600. So we loose points for age. Besides we usually don't have time, energy or to waste money on WES either (if we can do without it - and currently we can). Imagine some body graduated a decade ago from a university in some remote part of the world. And they are currently working in Canada. It's joke to expect them to ask their university to send official transcript to some body in Canada. It is not impossible but certainly difficult. I have no plans to do that (unless there is no other way) and no else i know also does. So despite having a BS, MS or a PhD, this means our scores are impacted by that - down to considered equal to say 12th grade or whatever. Just an example to make you more comfortable, my colleague sitting next to me is precisely this case.

So yes those getting the full 600 - often end up totaling around 800 - 950. And not every one of them applies currently. So there definitely are going to be those picked up who have good scores out of only 600.

The last part i have no idea about. Time will tell. But i think you guys are far more concerned than you should
I have Canadian experience (1 year), a 1st class honours degree, over 5 years work experience and I am eligible within the FSW program and the CEC program. My points come to 477 in total. From looking at the forum made spreadsheet I rank 44th if you include people with LMIA's. The thing is my solicitor really scared me and says I am taking a risk if I don't get an LMIA. Do you think that is fear mongering?

How many ITA's will they release for the first month in your educated opinion? I really want to get into this first draw yet I am still waiting on a pdf message saying I am added to the pool even with everything complete. This is why I am a bit highly strung and stressed.

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
theshak said:
I have Canadian experience (1 year), a 1st class honours degree, over 5 years work experience and I am eligible within the FSW program and the CEC program. My points come to 477 in total. From looking at the forum made spreadsheet I rank 44th if you include people with LMIA's. The thing is my solicitor really scared me and says I am taking a risk if I don't get an LMIA. Do you think that is fear mongering?

How many ITA's will they release for the first month in your educated opinion? I really want to get into this first draw yet I am still waiting on a pdf message saying I am added to the pool even with everything complete. This is why I am a bit highly strung and stressed.
Getting an LMIA certainly boosts your points enough that you'll be instantly selected but it's not guaranteed you'll get one, you'd have to go through the process and see.

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
doubleym said:
Getting an LMIA certainly boosts your points enough that you'll be instantly selected but it's not guaranteed you'll get one, you'd have to go through the process and see.
I personally find the process of getting an LMIA (as someone already working in Canada) a tad on the crazy side. Advertising my own job and waiting to see who will apply. I feel sorry for those applying seeking work as its essentially a honey pot.

If I can get an ITA without the LMIA I would be very happy.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
theshak said:

Oh that is every solicitor's job. They were even scaring multiple guys from my type to get WES credentials. Next thing is they would ask my spouse to take language test too, for 10 points. We might would have, if that is so important, but frankly it's not. They would try to approach every thing from a legal view point and do things to the best. To me it is irrelevant to score a perfect 1150 or 900 (or 800 for that matter) as long as it gets me a PR. No one is sure how many will come in CIC draw. Even to form opinions, you need some hints, stats or any thing from CIC. I have seen none so i am as knowledgeable as you are about that.

I have no idea about the numbers. But i suspect the first draw would have a large number of people without 600 (no idea what large numerically is, just as opposed to a percentage of those with the 600). Because most of the people who already had jobs were some how scared of the uncertainty of EE and they applied already via older CEC etc. if they could. So you should have a pretty good chance.

By the way i am curious why you are sooo conscious about the first draw only? They are going to do it twice monthly. So why does it matter if you get ITA now, or next month or even the next as long as you actually do get it in say the next FEW months and get through the PR by the end of the year. In terms of PR processes, a few months difference is nothing.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
fkl said:
Oh that is every solicitor's job. They were even scaring multiple guys from my type to get WES credentials. Next thing is they would ask my spouse to take language test too, for 10 points. We might would have, if that is so important, but frankly it's not. They would try to approach every thing from a legal view point and do things to the best. To me it is irrelevant to score a perfect 1150 or 900 (or 800 for that matter) as long as it gets me a PR. No one is sure how many will come in CIC draw. Even to form opinions, you need some hints, stats or any thing from CIC. I have seen none so i am as knowledgeable as you are about that.

I have no idea about the numbers. But i suspect the first draw would have a large number of people without 600 (no idea what large numerically is, just as opposed to a percentage of those with the 600). Because most of the people who already had jobs were some how scared of the uncertainty of EE and they applied already via older CEC etc. if they could. So you should have a pretty good chance.

By the way i am curious why you are sooo conscious about the first draw only? They are going to do it twice monthly. So why does it matter if you get ITA now, or next month or even the next as long as you actually do get it in say the next FEW months and get through the PR by the end of the year. In terms of PR processes, a few months difference is nothing.
Dont you think the competition will get tougher by the time??

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
fkl said:
Firstly I thought it was only a draw a month, so this is (good) news to me lol. You are probably right about me freaking out a bit. My work visa does not run out till Oct 20th but I guess I want to try get an ITA as soon as possible if I can. Getting a PR card has been on my mind for a while as having an expiry date annoys me especially given it effects my long term girlfriend as well. I am also a person who has a weird quirk.

When I get something in my head I become very determined. Some examples, I wanted a black belt in Kenpo Karate I trained hard for 5 years and got it, I wanted a first class honours for my Degree, studied like crazy and got it, I wanted my work visa, researched like crazy and blasted through the process and got it very quickly. Whats ironic is I am the polar opposite with other stuff. It has to matter to me I guess.

I know with this though I will just have to suck it up, not over think it and be patient. Chances are I will be completely fine but I dread the idea of losing my long term partner over something like immigration so I over think it and over analyze.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
mf4361 said:
No he is not, he is a landed immigrant. And now he spends time on the internet gloating immigrant-wannabes that got screwed by CIC policies.
Jealous, are we?? Landed immigrant or a Canadian citizen, I think you know what the difference is ....

I'm going to spend my time however I like. As for gloating immigrant-wannabes, I'm not even going to ask you what means. I couldn't care less. I have a few opinions about my new country's immigration policies and I'm going to voice them, whether you like them or not.

I also intensely dislike foreign students in particular, especially those with Post Grad Work Permit. I think it's an abuse to issue them 3-year open work permits. If they don't want to come study here without work permits, then so be it, Bye-bye. They're not genuine students if they demand work permits and PR as a condition for coming here. They're people who just want PR, like anyone else.

They are not entitled to any special path to PR status. Their place is in the same pool as everyone else, and they shouldn't get PR without LMIA. Feeling screwed? Good! Maybe they'll decide to pack up and take their sense of self-entitlement elsewhere. I think LMIA is about the best thing that happened to Canada's immigration.

There you have it.