+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Los Angeles Visa Office Applicants Check in here! :)

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
EkkusuXI said:
I feel like waiting for my CoPR is taking ages. I got the DM on saturday and still waiting for the mail. I sent them a Priority mail envelope that if they sent it back to me in that should have been here by now. Here is to hoping I get it by next Weds so I can be with my wife for Easter

Edit: No luck today and LA refuses to email me back. Wish I got lucky and got my PPr from Ottawa.
I think this week and next week is going to be slow at all VO's due to the holidays. Hopefully with the holidays over for a month things will start to pick up!!

inthequeue

Mar 21, 2013
I got the COPR today! The visa was granted Feb 25 but the envelope was postmarked March 7th.

But have a question that I am hoping someone will be able to answer. I have to land before April 16th and appointment at local CIC office will take 4 months I was told. So, it looks like my only option is to flagpole. Can one take a u-turn on the way out of Canada ( I hear there is one on the Peace Bridge) and land without being refused admission to, or entering the US? Or does one have to go to the US border agency and get an administrative refusal? I am a little worried about that last part as I don't want that to affect future travel to the US.

Thanks!

EkkusuXI

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
18-12-2012
Med's Done....
16-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2013
inthequeue said:
I got the COPR today! The visa was granted Feb 25 but the envelope was postmarked March 7th.

But have a question that I am hoping someone will be able to answer. I have to land before April 16th and appointment at local CIC office will take 4 months I was told. So, it looks like my only option is to flagpole. Can one take a u-turn on the way out of Canada ( I hear there is one on the Peace Bridge) and land without being refused admission to, or entering the US? Or does one have to go to the US border agency and get an administrative refusal? I am a little worried about that last part as I don't want that to affect future travel to the US.

Thanks!
From what I've seen and I don't know if its 100% correct, if you walk to the US side of the bridge, let them know you're just going to flagpole. Most of the time they just 'refuse' you and let you on your way back to the Canada side again. (Again I don't know if I'm correct or not but I've seen a few people on here do that.)

Also great news for me finally. LA emailed me back and told me my CoPR is in the mail tomorrow and since it's priority I should have it thurs!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
inthequeue said:

Thanks!
You won't get refused, they will just say "See that little space there? Turn around there" And you turn there and go back to Canada :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inthequeue said:
That's very good to hear - thank you.
From what folks have reported, the US Officers will give you a piece of paper you hand over to the Canadians. Just tell the US Officer you are flagpoling.

Depending on the bridge, you can also walk out and walk back in.

inthequeue

Mar 21, 2013
OhCanadiana said:
the US Officers will give you a piece of paper you hand over to the Canadians. Just tell the US Officer you are flagpoling.

Depending on the bridge, you can also walk out and walk back in.
That's good to know. Thank you. Will post once it is done.

Ivytwiks

Jan 23, 2012
Got my passport and corp today....yeeeeehh!!!!! am so excited it was sent out on the 14th march, 2013 and amaizingly my visa is valid till jan, 2014 but excited and planning on landing next weekend.... ;D ;D
wish every one a blessed Easter holliday...

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Ambber29 said:
Does anyone know LA contact email or something?

We just found out that our file is in LA
General: los-angeles-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

Case specific: https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemail/intro-eng.aspx?mission=los angeles

DTH

Mar 8, 2013
Hey Guys,

Hoping to receive approval soon / passport request. My wife's lease is up in 2 months and she is going to move to Canada by then at the latest in any event. Is it possible to send in her passport and get it returned to a Canadian address? We both have nexus cards, so not worried about travel so much within North America.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
DTH said:
Hey Guys,

Hoping to receive approval soon / passport request. My wife's lease is up in 2 months and she is going to move to Canada by then at the latest in any event. Is it possible to send in her passport and get it returned to a Canadian address? We both have nexus cards, so not worried about travel so much within North America.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
It's most likely that she will not be asked to send her passport anyway, since she is visa exempt. But yes, her passport can be returned to any address you specify (I had mine returned to my company's US address so they could send it to me wherever I might be at the time.)

DTH

Mar 8, 2013
computergeek said:
It's most likely that she will not be asked to send her passport anyway, since she is visa exempt. But yes, her passport can be returned to any address you specify (I had mine returned to my company's US address so they could send it to me wherever I might be at the time.)
Thanks for the response. I think we will specify the Canadian address if we can since I dont want to rely on what will be a former employer in several weeks. What do you mean by "visa exempt" though, are you referring to the fact that she has a nexus card she is exempt from part of the process in some way?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
DTH said:
Thanks for the response. I think we will specify the Canadian address if we can since I dont want to rely on what will be a former employer in several weeks. What do you mean by "visa exempt" though, are you referring to the fact that she has a nexus card she is exempt from part of the process in some way?
She has a US Passport and does not require a visa to travel to Canada.

This applies to many countries and in late 2011 CIC changed the rules to allow visa offices to issue the COPR without actually having the physical passport. CPP-O seems to always use the copy sent with the application or to ask for one. LA seems to ask for the physical passport sometimes still (it's visa office's choice) but in other cases they just want a scanned copy.