+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
More speculation:

budget is delayed
NA leadership summit delayed

Economy going down and fast. This is an election year, and it doesn't progress well for PC. There are reasonable calls for an early elections, and this is probably the biggest worry in PM's mind

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DND said:
Notice, that when announcing the fee increase they speculated that it will save lot's of money this year

But if the changes will be implemented starting (say) Tomorrow. They will get (Almost) no new fees for at least 1 year
Currently, this government seems to be hungry for revenues, so maybe there is still hope for August applications ...

Does it really makes sense to increase the fees and then block new applicants shortly afterwards?
+1
There you go ... I am also talking about the political game and at the end of the day it's all about the money, because now more people will be willing to apply, but at the same time they will make more profit, because of the increased fees.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DND said:
More speculation:

budget is delayed
NA leadership summit delayed

Economy going down and fast. This is an election year, and it doesn't progress well for PC. There are reasonable calls for an early elections, and this is probably the biggest worry in PM's mind
+1
We are thinking in the same way

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
Yea...increasing citizenship fees was their only backup plan to pull revenues.

...Both are equally important..Job and Citizenship..

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
screech339 said:
Again it comes back to priority. Is Canadian citizenship more important to you or your job that requires you to leave Canada on business. You can always explain to your boss that you cannot leave canada because qualifying for citizenship is more important than your job.

It is almost February. I'm eligible approximately end of June
It would be prudent for this government to declare the cut off date well in advance, so people can arrange their application in time (University records, language tests etc)
Is this too much to ask?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
aries9811 said:
Yea...increasing citizenship fees was their only backup plan to pull revenues.

...Both are equally important..Job and Citizenship..
Has it occurred to you that by raising the fee, to make the applicant cover almost all of the actual cost of processing it. That to me, means less of my taxes going to pay for someone else's citizenship. That's not raising revenue. That's reducing government expenses thus called savings.

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
No, It's not too much..for the govt. must realize that the 'Residence' they are annoying today will be citizens tomorrow...! anyhow..and shouldn't bother Residence alot.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
DND said:
It would be prudent for this government to declare the cut off date well in advance, so people can arrange their application in time (University records, language tests etc)
Is this too much to ask?
Can't you be proactive and start collecting the data you need now so you won't need a lot of time gathering? If the cutoff is in officially announced now for June, what's stopping you from collecting the documents now?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DND said:
Is this too much to ask?
It looks like everybody who will be eligible to apply before Canada day, will be processed according to the current law (3 out of 4)

But I completely support your question.

It looks like too many factors are inplay and for that reason in the last statement they are giving themselves the whole year 2015 as a dead line for all the changes to be enforced.

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
screech339 said:
Has it occurred to you that by raising the fee, to make the applicant cover almost all of the actual cost of processing it. That to me, means less of my taxes going to pay for someone else's citizenship. That's not raising revenue. That's reducing government expenses thus called savings.

The fee increase is not retroactive on current applications. The people already in queue (1-4 years of applications) already paid off less then the current expenses.
I.e. the new fees will act as an injection of new money into the system. If you stop new applications, you will have a full year of same (or more) expenses, but less revenues

Also notice that the new fees is projected to cover the current process expenses, but with new rules, which are more complex (for instance more day counting, tax forms etc) may end up costing much more (This is also why I don't believe in the "under 1 year processing time")

Don't know what is your line of work, but there is a high probability, that I paid more taxes then you in the last few years.
That said I am willing to pay extra high fee if they are willing to review my application in an efficient manner, What I don't like is paying the more for less service

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
screech339 said:
Can't you be proactive and start collecting the data you need now so you won't need a lot of time gathering? If the cutoff is in officially announced now for June, what's stopping you from collecting the documents now?
If I don't get in the cut off date, why bother now?
You mean I need to act prudently while my (future) government is not willing too?

What about my travel plans? Should I change them too?
Like I was planning to go to Mexico this Winter, and to Banff/Jasper this summer. Should I reverse the order so I MAYBE can get in time for the changes, which may or may not be announced in advance?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
DND said:
The fee increase is not retroactive on current applications. The people already in queue (1-4 years of applications) already paid off less then the current expenses.
I.e. the new fees will act as an injection of new money into the system. If you stop new applications, you will have a full year of same (or more) expenses, but less revenues

Also notice that the new fees is projected to cover the current process expenses, but with new rules, which are more complex (for instance more day counting, tax forms etc) may end up costing much more (This is also why I don't believe in the "under 1 year processing time")

Don't know what is your line of work, but there is a high probability, that I paid more taxes then you in the last few years.
That said I am willing to pay extra high fee if they are willing to review my application in an efficient manner, What I don't like is paying the more for less service
What does the amount of people who pay taxes, who pays more or who pays less got to do with the citizenship process?

Everyone pay for citizenship process themselves rather than having everyone else pay for it. They are making the citizenship process fee similar to passport fees. The fees is suppose to cover the actual cost.

Now if the timeline for citizenship is consistent like 1 year no matter where you live, like passport timeline, of 4-6 weeks, then I can understand you wanting to pay a lot more to expedite your citizenship process. But it is likely that everyone will apply for expediting that it would be the new normal and timeline will be the same as normal processing.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aries9811 said:
the govt. must realize that the 'Residence' they are annoying today will be citizens tomorrow...!
Exactly,
All the residents who will be impacted by this law, will vote against the conservatives on the next elections. Like someone here already mentioned... "I will never vote for a party who made me a second class citizen."
I think that the conservatives now realise the potential future danger for them to be on the loosing side for a long time, because meanwhile all these residents will be citizens until next elections and they will have the right to vote.

That may be also one of the reasons why it seems that the situation with this law is on hold

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
MUFC said:
+1
There you go ... I am also talking about the political game and at the end of the day it's all about the money, because now more people will be willing to apply, but at the same time they will make more profit, because of the increased fees.
I think you are vastly overemphasizing the importance of the citizenship fees in the scheme of Canada's overall economy. The $59 million in incremental fee revenue is not going to make or break anything. In fact, as stated by the government, these funds will simply be used to cover the cost of processing applications so that taxpayers don't have to pay for it anymore. So, no one is making "more profit" as you claim.

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
MUFC said:
Exactly,
All the residents who will be impacted by this law, will vote against the conservatives on the next elections. Like someone here already mentioned... "I will never vote for a party who made me a second class citizen."
I think that the conservatives now realise the potential future danger for them to be on the loosing side for a long time, because meanwhile all these residents will be citizens until next elections and they will have the right to vote.

That may be also one of the reasons why it seems that the situation with this law is on hold
Amen to that.Liberals or NDP already have a vote from a non-citizen now.