20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
But for more people its more than a couple of bucks, its the fact of not working for around 10 months until you have you're OWP, that is just NOT possible for some people. Those 10 months on 1 income (you're GF/Wifes etc) is not realistic and I don't know how people manage.

So I can definitely see why people still continue to work.
You got to look at the other side of the coin. There is the outland approach and with that, a person can still be in Canada while waiting for PR, just that that person can never ever work at all in Canada or get health coverage.

So be thankful that you will get opportunity to work legally inland at some point whether its after 6 months or 10 months.

Screech339

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jamesdavid3 said:
I just dont get it, how did they even find out the OP was working?
If someone thinks their work permit is still valid, then the employer will continue to report earnings to the CRA under the SIN. I'm sure there is some system in place with the government where they can tell if a SIN is valid, and this involves communication between the CRA and CIC or other aspects of government that handle the work permit. No clue though how exactly they communicate, if they do random checks or check all SINs for validity all the time, etc.

The main fact is though, people HAVE been caught. This thread is proof of that. How the CIC catches them is irrelevant as all you need to know is you are taking a risk and can face bad consequences if caught.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jamesdavid3 said:
Ok I want to know EXACTLY how the CIC can still know you are working??

Realistically they will have you're application in front of them and checking out all of you're details such as your sponsor, family detail etc. How will they know that you are working or not? Do they send a Personal Investigator after you to check you out? Do they look at you're bank statements to check for any Income money coming in? I just dont get it, how did they even find out the OP was working?
Like others have said, it's extremely easy to find out if someone is still working providing they are working under a SIN. If you're still working then your income is being reporting to the CRA by your employer along with the remission of any taxes deducted from your pay. They don't have to look at any bank accounts or send an investigator. The government already has this info.

I think a far more interesting question is why does CIC sometimes check and catch people working illegally - and sometimes they don't. Unfortunately I don't think any of us here can answer that question. The most we can do is guess...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
scylla said:
Like others have said, it's extremely easy to find out if someone is still working providing they are working under a SIN. If you're still working then your income is being reporting to the CRA by your employer along with the remission of any taxes deducted from your pay. They don't have to look at any bank accounts or send an investigator. The government already has this info.

I think a far more interesting question is why does CIC sometimes check and catch people working illegally - and sometimes they don't. Unfortunately I don't think any of us here can answer that question. The most we can do is guess...
I think the reason some got caught while others don't is that the ones they isn't caught are probably paid cash only under the table. No paper trail to follow. Unless someone reported that person to CIC. Although it is hard to find a job that someone is willing to pay cash only for services.

Screech339

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
keesio said:
But all it takes is one incident. There was one case where someone was working illegally in Canada. That person got into some nasty argument with a (former) friend who knew her situation and out of spite her ex-friend reported her to CIC.
This reminds me of the major drug bust in Barrie some years ago. They converted the Molson Brewery plant into a major indoor grow op in old beer vats. They kept it up for years right in plain view, until one disgruntled/shafted worker blew the whistle on the whole operation. Everything went tumbled down after. Everyone got busted except the whisteblower. It goes to show that it only take one person, one small incidence to ruin it all.

screech339

bethfaint

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-26-2012
AOR Received.
12-21-2012
Med's Done....
10-20-2012
LANDED..........
12-11-2013
does it matter if you are married? is it the same as common-law essentially?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
bethfaint said:
does it matter if you are married? is it the same as common-law essentially?
Are you posting this message in the right place? Not sure how this has to do with illegally working past IEC visa under inland sponsorship.

screech339

bethfaint

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-26-2012
AOR Received.
12-21-2012
Med's Done....
10-20-2012
LANDED..........
12-11-2013
screech339 said:
Are you posting this message in the right place? Not sure how this has to do with illegally working past IEC visa under inland sponsorship.

screech339
its kind of linked to the very first post on this topic. she applied for PR through her boyfriend and I was wondering if there if is a difference in the application system if you apply for PR after having an IEC visa through your boyfriend/common-law or whether you are married to that person. Common-law doesnt really exist anywhere outside of Canada, so I was wonderig if she had married her BF would she have had the same issue.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
bethfaint said:
its kind of linked to the very first post on this topic. she applied for PR through her boyfriend and I was wondering if there if is a difference in the application system if you apply for PR after having an IEC visa through your boyfriend/common-law or whether you are married to that person. Common-law doesnt really exist anywhere outside of Canada, so I was wonderig if she had married her BF would she have had the same issue.
It makes NO difference.. Oh, and by the way, common-law exists in lots of places..

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
bethfaint said:
Makes no different if you are married or not. The rule states that you cannot work past IEC expire date regardless if you are married or not. Marriage status has no bearing on the legality of working past IEC date.

screech339

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
screech339 said:
I think the reason some got caught while others don't is that the ones they isn't caught are probably paid cash only under the table. No paper trail to follow. Unless someone reported that person to CIC. Although it is hard to find a job that someone is willing to pay cash only for services.
I don't think this is true. The majority of people in this situation believe that IEC work permit can change to implied status with inland application, and they can continue working legally. So there is no reason for them to go under-the-table if they feel they have implied work status and a perfectly valid SIN.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Rob_TO said:
I don't think this is true. The majority of people in this situation believe that IEC work permit can change to implied status with inland application, and they can continue working legally. So there is no reason for them to go under-the-table if they feel they have implied work status and a perfectly valid SIN.
I agree with you. The majority of them are "honest" people making a serious bad assumption that IEC can get "implied status" and continue working unknown to them that they are in fact working illegally.

However I was refering to those who knowing tried to work under the table whether they have legal SIN or not. Or have no work permit at all. But that is besides the point of this conversation regarding IEC.

Screech339

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jamesdavid3 said:
So what is the current update?
The status is the same, you are not supposed to work after IEC expires.

This is confirmed from the case officer in this particular case (who's opinion should be taken over any random call centre agent):
She received letter from case officer from CIC that she is working illegally and your file will be transfer without AIP and in the letter in the stating that

"your current work permit obtained through IEC cannot be extended, nor can you apply beyond the validity period originally authorized as per your letter of Introduction. The work permit implied status not apply to you "

And was also confirmed by your own lawyer:
The call centre agent told me that as a result of my query, there will be a change in the wording of CIC's statement that holders of IEC open work permits do not benefit from implied status.

Reality seems to be that very few people are actually caught or investigated though. So it's at ones own discretion if they want to take the risk, and face the consequences if they are one of the few caught.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And if you are caught it seems like they still process your application however it takes longer?

We don't have enough examples here of people getting caught, yes there is this one case however out of the 100's of people that do this I was expecting more.