08-03-2012 HK Police Check
AOR Received.
05-01-2011
File Transfer...
15-02-2012
Med's Done....
01-08-2011>>> Detroit
parker24 said:
I was curious about this as well as my husband would like to go to college sometime. Here's what I got from the OSAP website:

In order to get aid from a particular program you must be considered eligible for that program. That means that you must meet certain conditions of the aid program such as citizenship, residency, program course load, and length. A complete list of the eligibility conditions for each program can be found through the A-Z List of Programs.

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/OSAPBasics/HowItWorks/index.htm#P9_247

I have just got a degree offer from a college. But I remember when I was applying the PR and filling the sponsorship forms it indicated that our sponsor has to "sponsor" our living for 3 years. so is that mean I can't apply for any kind of these services?

And a degree program is 4 years length, I work full time in Toronto now. you know the rent and anything are quite expensive, if i only work part time I am afraid that life will be harsh without OSAP haha

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
My fingerprint was delivered to FBI on Jan17 and it took them a month before they charged my credit card on Feb17. I don't know how much longer they will need further to process and send the result to me. I hope they don't reject my fingerprint.

Kiri said:
I HOPE the fingerprints turn out okay.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
veronica.law said:
I have just got a degree offer from a college. But I remember when I was applying the PR and filling the sponsorship forms it indicated that our sponsor has to "sponsor" our living for 3 years. so is that mean I can't apply for any kind of these services?

And a degree program is 4 years length, I work full time in Toronto now. you know the rent and anything are quite expensive, if i only work part time I am afraid that life will be harsh without OSAP haha
I'm really doubting that OSAP is under "social assistance" of any kind. It's more of a loan than anything, because you do have to pay it back. I graduated from college in 09 and I'm still (obviously) paying back my OSAP loan. It might be a good idea to ask CIC that though.

Kiri

Jan 31, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012 App. Return....: 30-8-2012 App. Refiled....: 02-01-2013
Doc's Request.
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
23-01-2013 Mississauga 10-05-2013 Ottawa
File Transfer...
19-02-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2013 (New XRay)
Med's Done....
11-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Decision Made 03-09-2013 without PPR
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
parker24 said:
I'm really doubting that OSAP is under "social assistance" of any kind. It's more of a loan than anything, because you do have to pay it back. I graduated from college in 09 and I'm still (obviously) paying back my OSAP loan. It might be a good idea to ask CIC that though.
I do not believe OSAP is social assistance. In fact:

Canadian employers seek immigrants to work here who have Canadian equivalences as well as those who have Canadian education. As a result, some individuals may be requested to take additional courses. For those planning to go back to school or university, the government offers a special loan. In Ontario it is called the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
This is from a nursing thing I saw when googling about this.

My soon-to-be sponsor is a student at McMaster University and receives OSAP and we do not foresee any problems coming from it because it is a loan.. even grants are not social assistance really. Welfare related things like food stamps, supplemental security income, unemployment and such like found in the states is what they refer to I think.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Email from e-cas tracker at 4:25 AM Saturday morning: "You entered Canada at the Saint-Armand office on February 11, 2012 and became a Permanent Resident."

A separate email from the tracker at exactly the same time: "According to e-CAS, it looks like you (or the person you sponsored) has now entered Canada and become a permanent resident. Congratulations, and welcome to Canada!
e-CAS usually stops working about 3 months after your file is finalised, so your e-CAS Tracker has now been deactivated - we're not watching e-CAS for any more changes on your behalf."

Thanks, matthewc, the tracker made this process smoother for me and I'm glad I used it :)

eeeeeeeelectric said:
I wondered what happened to e-Cas once I landed. Just got two cute emails from the tracker:

Latest update:

"You entered Canada at the Pacific Highway Traffic Operations CBSA office
on January 21, 2012 and became a Permanent Resident."

And
According to e-CAS, it looks like you (or the person you sponsored) has now
entered Canada and become a permanent resident.

Congratulations, and welcome to Canada!

Shirsho

Jan 23, 2012
GOGOGO said:
My fingerprint was delivered to FBI on Jan17 and it took them a month before they charged my credit card on Feb17. I don't know how much longer they will need further to process and send the result to me. I hope they don't reject my fingerprint.
It took me abt 2 months in June 2011...I assumed that because its summer time and most ppl get married in summer, they took abt 8 weeks....i have had a friend who got in 1 month during winter month

Shirsho

Jan 23, 2012
Got an update on e-case on Friday...In process..."We started processing your file on Feb 22, 2012"

Anyone had their file transfer to NYC? How long did it take once the file went in process?

veronica.law

Star Member
Nov 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>>>Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2011
Doc's Request.
08-03-2012 HK Police Check
AOR Received.
05-01-2011
File Transfer...
15-02-2012
Med's Done....
01-08-2011>>> Detroit
Shirsho said:
Got an update on e-case on Friday...In process..."We started processing your file on Feb 22, 2012"

Anyone had their file transfer to NYC? How long did it take once the file went in process?
My file has been transferred to detroit for almost 2 weeks too but status still "Application Received on August9.2011 and Medical Exam received"

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
Shirsho said:

Your file was transferred to NYC on the same day it they started processing it? That is some speed! Congrats!

DCGelfling

Star Member
Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2012
File Transfer...
13-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-03-2012
Passport Req..
03-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2012
LANDED..........
30-12-2012
I sent out for the FBI check last week, and it arrived there Friday. My appointment for the medical is mid-March. Is it worth it to mail the app out once I've got the medical, or will I be better off in the long run if I wait until I have the FBI check, too?

I've seen people talk about doing it that way, but don't really see what the end results are. It would be nice to get the clock started, but not if it will delay processing significantly.

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Question.

I sent out my full application at the end of January, beginning of February. When should I start hearing from them? Or at least getting a online logging?

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
DCGelfling said:
I sent out for the FBI check last week, and it arrived there Friday. My appointment for the medical is mid-March. Is it worth it to mail the app out once I've got the medical, or will I be better off in the long run if I wait until I have the FBI check, too?

I've seen people talk about doing it that way, but don't really see what the end results are. It would be nice to get the clock started, but not if it will delay processing significantly.
I was in a similar situation few months ago and although it was tempting to sent out everything without FBI certificate; We waited as when my spouse called CIC they strictly asked us to send application in when we have all docs. Not to discourage you, but FBI certificates takes 2 months at least to arrive and we did wait for two months. We didnt want to take any risks with the application getting delayed for not following their instructions and sending in incomplete application.

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
mapleleafs2011 said:
Question.

I sent out my full application at the end of January, beginning of February. When should I start hearing from them? Or at least getting a online logging?
You should get an Ack of Receipt via email from them with your case number which you can use to login in about 30-45 days. Goodluck!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bloodyguitars said:
I bought my car here in US and never been imported/exported before. I guess I will fax them everything one week in advance just to be on the safer side. Good to know that I don't have to wait for PR card to get my drivers license in Ontario.

Thank you for the info :)
Careful on the fax assumption - requirements vary based on the POE. Check the CBP website and confirm info via their recorded line. You're going to Ontario, but don't say what border crossing you are going through. If you are crossing directly into Ontario, I believe you have 4 options:

- Alexandria Bay (on the way up to Ottawa) - requires you to mail them the original title (export office open M-F 8-4pm)
- Lewiston (near the Niagara Falls) - requires you to e-mail them the VIN number (export office open M-F 8-4pm)
- Ambassador Bridge (Windsor area) - requires you to mail them the original title (no export office per se; any officer can export 24/7)
- Blue Water Bridge (Sarnia) - requires you to fax them copy of title (export office open Mon-Thurs 8am-8pm, Fri 8am-noon)

You can confirm info on each port at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ny/0708.xml - under supplemental info they have detailed instructions on how to export vehicles (they also have the vehicle export phone number listed for each port).
Note - they all require receiving information a minimum of 72 days prior, so if you are mailing it give yourself an extra buffer (there's no harm in sending info in super early)

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The CIC call centre might tell you this, but the way the IOs work at Buffalo is a different story. I've seen plenty of people here who have not followed directions as far as mailing a complete package and they've not lost considerably time in the processing of their applications. I sent a complete package and I took more than 8 months being processed, although I bet some of that time would have been eliminated if I absolutely made sure Buffalo had my Quebec CSQ. I would actually say that it was tempting for me personally TO send out something not missing any document rather than to send something out earlier (because I'm all perfectionist like that), and maybe it wasn't to my benefit in the grand scheme of things. As long as the OP puts his or her full name and file number (and maybe also UCI) with the original police clearance they are sending off so it can be united with the parent file, they should be fine, so it's up to them.
bloodyguitars said:
I was in a similar situation few months ago and although it was tempting to sent out everything without FBI certificate; We waited as when my spouse called CIC they strictly asked us to send application in when we have all docs. Not to discourage you, but FBI certificates takes 2 months at least to arrive and we did wait for two months. We didnt want to take any risks with the application getting delayed for not following their instructions and sending in incomplete application.