+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

DreamSRK

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
fkl said:
It can be between 1 and 3 months. Its a bit variable for the time being since CIC recently revamped their work permit processing system and applications could be distributed across visa offices for load management. But its hard to predict but basically they did away with showing processing times based upon visa offices strictly.
Thanks a lot for the info.

imarchuang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
HOPEFULLY NO
Nomination.....
HOPEFULLY SOON
AOR Received.
HOPEFULLY SOON
IELTS Request
SENT WITHIN APPLICATION
AEE11 said:
@fkl

one more question: do I need to make personal invitation letter notarized?
I don't thinks it is necessary, at least that's what I did and I got the SOWP without any problem.

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
That's correct, though I was referring to provincial health care which is free. Hence I am not sure if you were referring to private insurance on top of that when you said "paid for the two of us"
Hi, so upon departure, if i'm not mistaken, we will have to surrender our permits? Where are supposed to do this? At the airport?

BTW: we are covered under UHIP until the end of April :D

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
salvatore270 said:
Hi, so upon departure, if i'm not mistaken, we will have to surrender our permits? Where are supposed to do this? At the airport?

BTW: we are covered under UHIP until the end of April :D
I don't think any one specifically asks you to give them your permits. Normally they just expire. It might be different for this case because you are quitting program in the middle but I don't have any specific info for this.

Normally, CBSA only collects work permits from people when they land as PRs.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
imarchuang said:
I don't thinks it is necessary, at least that's what I did and I got the SOWP without any problem.
Agreed - additionally, what invitation? Technically invitation is for a trip being sponsored by either a Canadian PR or citizen. A temp resident / worker does not Invite / sponsor any one. It is by CIC laws that they are eligible for SOWP if they hold a skilled job. So apart from some exceptional circumstances where a principal applicant needs to convince CIC that they indeed want to bring their spouse along, no such document is required / processed. I don't think they even look at any such letter if the application is otherwise complete.

LPAM

Mar 12, 2016
Spouse Open Work permit

Hello guys,

I am a Guatemalan citizen. My spouse is US citizen who finished a PHD recently in McGill University in Montreal. We got all documents needed to get both PDWP and SWOP. I´ve been living in Guatemala, so I am visiting her frequently using my Visitor visa. My question is: Is it possible to apply for a SOWP inside Canada with my visitor Visa??

Thank you very much in advance for your support!

imarchuang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
HOPEFULLY NO
Nomination.....
HOPEFULLY SOON
AOR Received.
HOPEFULLY SOON
IELTS Request
SENT WITHIN APPLICATION
LPAM said:
Hello guys,

I am a Guatemalan citizen. My spouse is US citizen who finished a PHD recently in McGill University in Montreal. We got all documents needed to get both PDWP and SWOP. I´ve been living in Guatemala, so I am visiting her frequently using my Visitor visa. My question is: Is it possible to apply for a SOWP inside Canada with my visitor Visa??

Thank you very much in advance for your support!
Yes you can... That is what we did for my spouse

aprado

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Do I need to provide proof that my wife has private health insurance in Canada when she applies for SOWP?

imarchuang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
HOPEFULLY NO
Nomination.....
HOPEFULLY SOON
AOR Received.
HOPEFULLY SOON
IELTS Request
SENT WITHIN APPLICATION
aprado said:
Do I need to provide proof that my wife has private health insurance in Canada when she applies for SOWP?
Provide it with ur application if u have it, but I don't think it is compulsory though

AEE11

Jan 26, 2013
fkl said:
Agreed - additionally, what invitation? Technically invitation is for a trip being sponsored by either a Canadian PR or citizen. A temp resident / worker does not Invite / sponsor any one. It is by CIC laws that they are eligible for SOWP if they hold a skilled job. So apart from some exceptional circumstances where a principal applicant needs to convince CIC that they indeed want to bring their spouse along, no such document is required / processed. I don't think they even look at any such letter if the application is otherwise complete.
Thanks fkl

AEE11

Jan 26, 2013
imarchuang said:
Hey could you please share list of all the documents that you have submitted for the SOWP and in which country you have applied it

imarchuang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Master Stream Program
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
HOPEFULLY NO
Nomination.....
HOPEFULLY SOON
AOR Received.
HOPEFULLY SOON
IELTS Request
SENT WITHIN APPLICATION
AEE11 said:
Hey could you please share list of all the documents that you have submitted for the SOWP and in which country you have applied it
We applied for SOWP after landing in Canada about 3 years ago, and at that time, I was a full-time student and she entered Canada as a vistor, and within 90 days of her landing, we applied for SOWP for her. Regarding the document list, I don't think I can provide that any more as it has been a while.

aprado

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
I am applying for a Temporary Work Permit in a A skill level job with more than 1 year contract.
I am applying for my wife as well, and for her is the Spouse Open Work permit.

Do I need to show funds anywhere? I am applying on-line and didn't find the place.

Also I am confused on the Purpose of Travel - Other (required)

You must submit proof that you are coming to Canada for a temporary visit.
Examples of what you can provide as proof:
A scanned copy of:
Your flight ticket departing Canada,
Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking),
Proof of a medical appointment.

Is it enough to say that she will stay to support me emotionally for the duration of my contract? I don't know what else to say. Please help and thanks