+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

iceebaby

Star Member
Jun 7, 2015
Baffled said:
First, I am no professional Immigration Lawyer, and my application for PR is still "In Process", but I am sharing with you what we did for the application. So, what I state here is in no way a guarantee.

Secondly, refer to these guides depending if applying INLAND or OUTLAND:

Inland: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp

Outland: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp#3999E4
NOTE: (This is the information guide I used for reference when answering your questions below.)

Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) - Fill out this form completely as stated in the instruction guide:

Who must fill out this application form?

This form must be completed by:

You, the principal applicant.

Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) - Fill out this form completely as stated in the instruction guide:

Who needs to fill out this application form?

You, as the principal applicant,
Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).

Fill out everything that applies to you and supply an additional sheet if you must. More information is better than not enough with questionable red flags. I filled out everything that applied to myself. Remember that both of these documents are about the PRINCIPAL APPLICANT, the person trying to obtain the Permanent Residency / Immigrate to Canada. Information that pertains to him/her not the person who is sponsoring, they have their own documents to fill out.

Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) - Fill out this form completely as stated in the instruction guide:

Who must fill out this application form?

you, the principal applicant;
your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
your dependent children aged 18 years or older (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).

Every document above is required and must be completed to the best of the Principal Applicants knowledge. And as underlined, even though they are not accompanying him/her children must complete the forms also IF they are 18 years or older. Again this application is directed towards the Principal Applicant not the Sponsor.

Hope this helps and please anyone correct me if I am wrong about any part above. And remember the information shared here is assuming an OUTLAND APPLICATION.

Baffled

Thank you for your reply but yes I am reading the guidelines and whatever you posted here is what I have been reading too. The only thing that confuses me is the fact that the Sponsor is a Canadian citizen by birth and has two adult dependants, both Canadians of course.

Here is what I wrote in my previous query "Here is the situation, my relative is marrying a Canadian by birth. BOTH of them have been married and divorced and both have 2 kids. My relative has 2 minor dependants but they will be declared as NON ACCOMPANYING. The Canadian on the other hand has two kids from previous marriage, both are adults, ages 19 and 25. Do all 4 children need to complete the forms mentioned above?" -- Suffice it to say, I am aware that the two children of the person being sponsored do not need to fill these forms because they are, well, minors. My main concern is the other two dependants who are OVER 18 years of age. As far as I know they do not need to complete these forms because they're Canadians and children of the sponsor but I could be wrong too that's why I needed to hear other people's opinion.

"Fill out everything that applies to you and supply an additional sheet if you must. More information is better than not enough with questionable red flags. I filled out everything that applied to myself. Remember that both of these documents are about the PRINCIPAL APPLICANT, the person trying to obtain the Permanent Residency / Immigrate to Canada. Information that pertains to him/her not the person who is sponsoring, they have their own documents to fill out."

"Every document above is required and must be completed to the best of the Principal Applicants knowledge. And as underlined, even though they are not accompanying him/her children must complete the forms also IF they are 18 years or older. Again this application is directed towards the Principal Applicant not the Sponsor."

Everything you said is what I understand too, from my own perspective. Being that the immigration process is always a tricky thing, I want to make sure that the canadian kids need not fill up anything because, like what you said, this application is about the principal applicant. Again, my main concern is the other two dependants who are OVER 18 years of age. I never included them because like you, I believe they are out of the picture because they are the sponsor's children, not the principal applicant's. I would just like to clarify and verify things.

See, here's the thing on the guideline, like what you posted above:

Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) - Fill out this form completely as stated in the instruction guide:

Who needs to fill out this application form?

You, as the principal applicant, - yes

Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and - well the spouse is the sponsor, so does she need to fill this out?

Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).
- Your dependent children meaning, the children of the principal applicant thus those kids need not to fill this up as they are both minors. However, the SPONSOR has two dependants aged 18 and over as well but they are Canadians and as far as I understand this statement, the canadians need not fill up anything. Is that right?

Thanks much for the help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
iceebaby said:
Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).[/i]- Your dependent children meaning, the children of the principal applicant thus those kids need not to fill this up as they are both minors. However, the SPONSOR has two dependants aged 18 and over as well but they are Canadians and as far as I understand this statement, the canadians need not fill up anything. Is that right?
It's pretty clear. The sponsor's adult children are not dependents of the PA and have nothing to do with the app.

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
Iceebaby

You are right.
1. The Canadians need not to fill this form. It has nothin to do with them.

2. In the form, where it says Principal Applicant and then Spouse or Common Law Partner - that means if the principal applicant has a spouse different from the sponsor. (my sister(Sponsor) sponsoring me(Principal Applicant) and my spouse or common law partner.)
And since the spouse is d sponsor, CIC already has access to all the family info for d sponsor since he/she is a citizen.

3. Finally , even d sponsor got kids and they are 18 and over, still they don't need to fill this form.

The reason for this form is to know who are the families of the applicant, in case he/she may want to sponsor any of them in future..

Hope this is helpful

PatrickD

Jul 15, 2015
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HELPPPPP

My wife's last name is listed under middle name in the translated documents. They translated (second last name) to (middle name) and now her last name is in middle name.

Her moms last name is listed as her last name on the papers, when it's suppose to be her dads. They have 2 last names in Central America, from the mother and father.

Is this going to affect anything? her passport and national ID card shows the information correct. The issue is the English translations on the Birth Certificate and Marriage certificate, but the spanish versions say "segundo apellido" which translates to (second surname) not middle name.

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
Confused...

I got my first AOR last week and i just logged into e-CAS now as d applicant. I realized they have my home address, but i stated in my application that all correspondence should b thru my email.

I am supposed to do anything or its ok to have the home address online??

kisaki

Sep 17, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2014
AOR Received.
01-04-2015
Tolexmi said:
Confused...

I got my first AOR last week and i just logged into e-CAS now as d applicant. I realized they have my home address, but i stated in my application that all correspondence should b thru my email.

I am supposed to do anything or its ok to have the home address online??
It's normal, everyone has that. But they send some stuff by regular mail, like the landing letter.

FrootLupes

Oct 26, 2015
Hey guys. New to the community but I have a question. Im a sponsor and I've sponsored my partner as Common law (inland) as of May 2014. Our application steps 1 and 2 have just been both completed and our interview is scheduled to take place soon!

While this is great, there's a serious issue. My partner and I have to leave the country in the next few weeks for at least a month. While I'm reasonably sure we'll be able to return (she'll have a student visa), I'm intensely worried we will miss our interview. Missing my brother's wedding would be awful but so would waiting for this PR for almost 2 years for nothing.

Question:

Has anyone ever missed/heard of someone missing their Finalization (CoPR) interview?
Will they reschedule in these situations?
Will sending them in a letter get us in trouble for leaving the country?

Sorry for all the questions but we are really scared and stuck between a rock and a crap place. Sad

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
FrootLupes said:
Hey guys. New to the community but I have a question. Im a sponsor and I've sponsored my partner as Common law (inland) as of May 2014. Our application steps 1 and 2 have just been both completed and our interview is scheduled to take place soon!

While this is great, there's a serious issue. My partner and I have to leave the country in the next few weeks for at least a month. While I'm reasonably sure we'll be able to return (she'll have a student visa), I'm intensely worried we will miss our interview. Missing my brother's wedding would be awful but so would waiting for this PR for almost 2 years for nothing.

Question:

Has anyone ever missed/heard of someone missing their Finalization (CoPR) interview?
Will they reschedule in these situations?
Will sending them in a letter get us in trouble for leaving the country?

Sorry for all the questions but we are really scared and stuck between a rock and a crap place. Sad
If you miss your landing interview because you are out of the country - I would expect this will create significant issues for your application since you are by definition supposed to be in Canada (denied landing). Make sure you have someone checking your mail daily while you are away and be ready to fly back at a moment's notice if necessary. Don't miss the landing. They may not reschedule and you may find yourself starting from scratch.

Does your partner need to leave for the full month? Maybe your partner can take a shorter trip to avoid risking the application and missing the landing?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
If you miss your landing interview because you are out of the country - I would expect this will create significant issues for your application since you are by definition supposed to be in Canada (denied landing). Make sure you have someone checking your mail daily while you are away and be ready to fly back at a moment's notice if necessary. Don't miss the landing. They may not reschedule and you may find yourself starting from scratch.

Does your partner need to leave for the full month? Maybe your partner can take a shorter trip to avoid risking the application and missing the landing?
Because it is an Inland application, doesn't the landing appointment require both applicant and sponsor to attend?

Skye2014

Star Member
Nov 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2015
AOR Received.
29-01-2016
File Transfer...
08-02-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
08-10-2015
Interview........
Not hoping for this one
Passport Req..
Hopefully very soon
VISA ISSUED...
Hopefully very soon
LANDED..........
Hopefully very soon
Hi,

I need help, could anyone please tell me if I should provide two sets of engagement, wedding, reception, honeymoon photos? I am thinking maybe I should submit this two set one being for documentary evidences for the following sponsored spouse questions Q#14 Was there a formal ceremony to recognize the engagement?, Q#15 was there a formal ceremony to recognize the marriage?, #18 Was there a reception? & #19 Was there a honeymoon?, and one is for the proof of relationship to sponsor no.11 of the Document checklist A (Specific country Philippines).

Thank you so much

Nu2This

Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 26, 2016
Love_Young said:
About the recommendation for mailing an application to extend and open work permit with inland does not seem right.
Most of the time you either, mail an extension request separately, regular extension request with the application, or an extension application marked for open work permit submitted with the application. Not both.

If you are submitting a regular extension with the application then do that but if you don't want to have to keep extending your stay during the process and have implied status then you only need to send an application for an open work permit included inside the SAME envelope as your PR application and make sure it is received by Vegreville BEFORE your status expires.

Overall this is a very good post and I feel this will benefit alot of people. I just wanted to state some corrections before people think they need to include both a regular extension request and open work permit with their inland application. What I have stated has been verified for years and can be backed up by many other senior members so I believe the information is correct and helpful to those applying inland like myself.

Thank you Leon for your wonderful and helpful post. I see this helping several people for years to come. :)
Hi Love Young,

I am in the process of gathering the documents and completing the application forms required for the sponsoring of my partner/spouse. I have heard that sometimes CBSA will pull in visitors who do extend their visitor status (my spouse is from Bermuda = no visa required for visits), it recently happened to a friend of mine who had her papers submitted for over 6mos now. We are planning on sending our completed application by the end of November and his visitor status does not expire until Feb.29.2016.

How do we know when we have "implied status"?

I do plan to submit the open work permit application with the same package our sponsorship and PR applications are going out in. Just wondering if I should or shouldn't submit the visitor extention request along with it (I am not sure how to even do that....lol)

Thanks

Deidra

RandyD

Jan 6, 2015
back again for some answers:)

the biggest question i have is do i need 2 sets of the applications?

1 for my sponsorship and another that go to manila for permanent residence.

in review:

part 1 sponsorship forms and part 2 immigration forms= 1 set

country specific...philippines.....immigration forms=1 extra set?

i need 2 .....correct?

in regards to wife's police clearance.

cic states it has to be within 3 months before it expires.

the processing time for spousal is behind 2 months.

this would mean the police clearance is 2 months old once they open the app?

thanks for replies:)

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
RandyD said:
back again for some answers:)

the biggest question i have is do i need 2 sets of the applications?

1 for my sponsorship and another that go to manila for permanent residence.

in review:

part 1 sponsorship forms and part 2 immigration forms= 1 set

country specific...philippines.....immigration forms=1 extra set?

i need 2 .....correct?

in regards to wife's police clearance.

cic states it has to be within 3 months before it expires.

the processing time for spousal is behind 2 months.

this would mean the police clearance is 2 months old once they open the app?

thanks for replies:)
You submit one set. Everything goes to Mississauga and they forward it to the VO overseas.
The police clearance needs to be received within 3 months, although I thought that rule had changed. So long as CIC gets the package within that timeframe, you're fine. Doesn't matter when they actually open it or process it.

RandyD

Jan 6, 2015
MilesAway said:
You submit one set. Everything goes to Mississauga and they forward it to the VO overseas.
The police clearance needs to be received within 3 months, although I thought that rule had changed. So long as CIC gets the package within that timeframe, you're fine. Doesn't matter when they actually open it or process it.
Thanks so much for your reply!

Looking at country specific I figured I need 2 sets of her apps.

Just got her papers sent LBC last week.
Another set of apps .... more money for LBC. :'(

mle.87

Star Member
Dec 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 23rd 2015
AOR Received.
July 23rd 2015
File Transfer...
August 27th 2015 - AOR 2
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
September 30th 2015
VISA ISSUED...
October 18th 2015
LANDED..........
November 12th 2015
Anyone order GCMS notes recently? I sent in the form on Sept 30th and received a copy of receipt. However, no notes yet.... Not too concerned though since our application is now complete but it would be nice to know how our application was received with the Visa Office.