14-09-2014
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
31-08-2015
MizAngel said:
Nope, not weird at all. You could apply the day after you get married and CIC would not see it as an issue.

My husband and I were married last November and if we had had all the paperwork ready at the time, we would have applied right away. As it is, we applied in February and he already landed in August.
Thank you so much for replying! We are actually doing the paperwork now as a spouse sponsorship just to get things ready. We'll probably go ahead and get married in the next few months and then put all the marriage information in and then bam! I'm so glad that you and your husband's paperwork got through so fast! That's awesome. :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jesmithers said:
Thank you so much for replying! We are actually doing the paperwork now as a spouse sponsorship just to get things ready. We'll probably go ahead and get married in the next few months and then put all the marriage information in and then bam! I'm so glad that you and your husband's paperwork got through so fast! That's awesome. :)
Make sure that you check the CIC website the day you are ready to mail in your application, to see if they have updated any of the forms! If your application is received with an outdated form, it's possible that your entire application could be returned to you.

Good luck!

jesmithers

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-05-2015
Med's Done....
14-09-2014
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
31-08-2015
Ponga said:
Make sure that you check the CIC website the day you are ready to mail in your application, to see if they have updated any of the forms! If your application is received with an outdated form, it's possible that your entire application could be returned to you.

Good luck!
Thank you for letting me know!! I will definitely check the website before sending our application through. :)

manmeet1809

Oct 13, 2014
How long does it takes to get the passport and pr documents back once it says decision made under spousal category ? Passports were originally mailed via VFS and got decision made on status.

Jasmeet09

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3-Mar-2015
AOR Received.
AOR 1 - 15-April-2015 , SA- 07-May-2015
File Transfer...
AOR 2 - 15-May-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Hi Guys .. I came as a PR in Canada.. I am going to India for my wedding . My passport doesn't have last name. I will apply for spouse visa for my husband in January after wedding. So I don't want to change my surname or neither I want to add my husband's last name in my name. Is it mandatory to change the last name on your passport after wedding ? If I don't change my name on passport then after wedding do I need to raise any kind of request for changing my Martial Status ? although I cant find any column for status on passport.
I planning to file PR application and sponsorship application together for my husband in canada. Although I will present my marriage proofs with application but I am not sure if I need to get done any kind of modification on my passport ?

secondly do my husband need to get done any modifications on his passport after wedding ?

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Jasmeet09 said:
Hi Guys .. I came as a PR in Canada.. I am going to India for my wedding . My passport doesn't have last name. I will apply for spouse visa for my husband in January after wedding. So I don't want to change my surname or neither I want to add my husband's last name in my name. Is it mandatory to change the last name on your passport after wedding ? If I don't change my name on passport then after wedding do I need to raise any kind of request for changing my Martial Status ? although I cant find any column for status on passport.
I planning to file PR application and sponsorship application together for my husband in canada. Although I will present my marriage proofs with application but I am not sure if I need to get done any kind of modification on my passport ?

secondly do my husband need to get done any modifications on his passport after wedding ?
I don't know if India is different but normally NO it is not mandatory to change your last name on your passport to your husband's name. If you chose to take his name or not is your choice. You are correct there is no marital status column on the passport.

Your husband doesn't have to change anything on his passport after marriage.

Nighty

Oct 10, 2014
scylla said:
In order to apply inland, your common law partner needs to get a visitor visa to Canada and then physically be in Canada when you apply. It tends to be very difficult to obtain a visitor visa when you have a partner who is Canadian (CIC often assumes the person is interested in remaining in Canada long term and isn't just entering as a tourist). So the inland/outland decision may be made for you if the visitor visa isn't approved. I would start by applying for the visitors visa and hope you get lucky. If the visitor visa is approved and you decide to go the inland route, your partner will qualify for an open work permit once the application has first stage approval. This is currently taking 13 months. Your partner may be able to obtain a work permit earlier - but this will be dependent on your partner finding an employer who is willing to hire her full time and dependent on that employer getting an approved LMIA which is an expensive ($1K) and lengthly process.

No - you don't need to register the marriage and divorce before you apply. However you should definitely include all of this paperwork with your application. As long as you are not bankrupt - you should be fine. As for citizenship - it's longer than 2 years. Right now you need 3 years of residency in Canada out of the last 4 to apply. This is going up to 4 years out of 6 years next year.
Thank you for the quick response! That answers most of my questions. I am very grateful. :)

jesmithers

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-05-2015
Med's Done....
14-09-2014
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
31-08-2015
Hi! I have another question. My boyfriend got his medical done this past September but we won't be sending our application until after we are married and wait for our marriage certificate. I heard it may take up to a few months to even get the certificate after the marriage takes place (we are planning to do a civil marriage and then save up and do a ceremony after as we are both have a limited amount of funds). Anyways my question is if let's say we don't get our application done and sent until February/March or whatever, and it goes past September 2015, will the CIC request a new one to be done?

Thank you in advance for the reply!

natodincan

Oct 6, 2014
Hi there!

I am a Canadian who married the love of my life in Canada 3 weeks ago. He is a US citizen and our paper work is almost complete and ready to be submitted. We were planning to apply outland until we noticed the backlog at the New York and LA visa offices which are listed at 33 and 28 months respectively. :'(

I am not waiting over 2 and a half years to begin a life with my husband! We have therefore decided to apply inland but from what I understand he needs a visitor visa first? What is the best way to apply for one of these? I have friends who applied right after their USA wedding in 2012 as they drove to across the border to Canada....

We need to be together to support each other and raise the kids together...is there any hope? :(

Thank- you in advance!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
natodincan said:
Hi there!

I am a Canadian who married the love of my life in Canada 3 weeks ago. He is a US citizen and our paper work is almost complete and ready to be submitted. We were planning to apply outland until we noticed the backlog at the New York and LA visa offices which are listed at 33 and 28 months respectively. :'(

I am not waiting over 2 and a half years to begin a life with my husband! We have therefore decided to apply inland but from what I understand he needs a visitor visa first? What is the best way to apply for one of these? I have friends who applied right after their USA wedding in 2012 as they drove to across the border to Canada....

We need to be together to support each other and raise the kids together...is there any hope? :(

Thank- you in advance!
yes there is tons of hope. First of all, straightforward US applications are processed in OTTAWA, NOT LA or NY. a) NY doesn't process family sponsorship files, and b) ONLY the complicated files requiring an interview get sent to LA. Complicated generally means: criminal issues, non-accompanying dependant issue, and the applicant is not a us citizen, rather on a work visa in the us. The turnaround time for "complicated" applications in LA needing interviews is 15-16 months.

Second of all, the posted processing times posted on the CIC website are misleading. They do not reflect a true average and basically show "worst case scenarios". Ottawa is currently listed at 16 months, though that doesn't mean that's how long it will take to process straightforward, US citizen applications. Ottawa also processes applications from other countries, so the statistic is a blend of all of the applications.

Thirdly, I am happy to report that US OUTLAND applications being processed in OTTAWA are being approved in 3-7 months. So that is 3-7 months that a US citizen needs to wait to get through the Outland process and land as a PR. There is a thread specific to the ottawa visa office, and you will find a link to our spreadsheet that tracks progress in my signature below. you will notice a majority of applicants from 2014 have already LANDED and started their life together.

Lastly, your husband can come to canada as a visitor and stay IN canada as a visitor until his OUTLAND application is approved. He is not eligible to work, he can only be a visitor during that time.

So don't fret, you can start your life MUCH sooner than you think.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
natodincan said:
Hi there!

Thank- you in advance!
DO NOT APPLY INLAND for a straightforward US citizen application - Listen to RHCohen's advice above.

US Citizens / residents can be in Canada for 6 months then you can apply for a visitor extension online. Super easy - you can be with your husband while you wait for the decision.

MizAngel

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/02/2014
Doc's Request.
11/03/2014
AOR Received.
23/04/2014
File Transfer...
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
jesmithers said:
Hi! I have another question. My boyfriend got his medical done this past September but we won't be sending our application until after we are married and wait for our marriage certificate. I heard it may take up to a few months to even get the certificate after the marriage takes place (we are planning to do a civil marriage and then save up and do a ceremony after as we are both have a limited amount of funds). Anyways my question is if let's say we don't get our application done and sent until February/March or whatever, and it goes past September 2015, will the CIC request a new one to be done?

Thank you in advance for the reply!
It's completely up to CIC. Sometimes they will just extend, sometimes they will ask for a new medical to be done.

binnie

Oct 17, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am from India. I am working in Canada on Post-Graduate Work Permit since Dec., 2013. I am getting married in December this year and my spouse will submit a sponsorship application to CIC in January, 2015 with in Canada. My PGWP is expiring in December, 2015. I am curious if I can extend my work permit till I get permanent resident visa? Can any one help me about this?
If yes, how long Can I extend it?

Thank You!

michminn

Aug 26, 2014
Nanaimo, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Miss to Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/2014
AOR Received.
05/12/2014
File Transfer...
05/12/2014
Med's Done....
18/03/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waives/US citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 17/6/2015
LANDED..........
Soon... 25/6/2015 !!!!!!!!!!! Anticipated
rhcohen2014 said:
yes there is tons of hope. First of all, straightforward US applications are processed in OTTAWA, NOT LA or NY. a) NY doesn't process family sponsorship files, and b) ONLY the complicated files requiring an interview get sent to LA. Complicated generally means: criminal issues, non-accompanying dependant issue, and the applicant is not a us citizen, rather on a work visa in the us. The turnaround time for "complicated" applications in LA needing interviews is 15-16 months.

Second of all, the posted processing times posted on the CIC website are misleading. They do not reflect a true average and basically show "worst case scenarios". Ottawa is currently listed at 16 months, though that doesn't mean that's how long it will take to process straightforward, US citizen applications. Ottawa also processes applications from other countries, so the statistic is a blend of all of the applications.

Thirdly, I am happy to report that US OUTLAND applications being processed in OTTAWA are being approved in 3-7 months. So that is 3-7 months that a US citizen needs to wait to get through the Outland process and land as a PR. There is a thread specific to the ottawa visa office, and you will find a link to our spreadsheet that tracks progress in my signature below. you will notice a majority of applicants from 2014 have already LANDED and started their life together.

Lastly, your husband can come to canada as a visitor and stay IN canada as a visitor until his OUTLAND application is approved. He is not eligible to work, he can only be a visitor during that time.

So don't fret, you can start your life MUCH sooner than you think.
+1

Jasmeet09

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3-Mar-2015
AOR Received.
AOR 1 - 15-April-2015 , SA- 07-May-2015
File Transfer...
AOR 2 - 15-May-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Thanks Maria...Can anyone help me by explaining that how upfront medical works ? If I file my husband's pr and sponsorship file together in canada then can I go for upfront medical ? what should I tell doctor ? because when I got my medical done then I had my file number with me and I sent the receipt to embassy. If I do upfront medical and I have not filed the application with CIC yet then how I need to present this to CIC ? I am planning that I should complete all document in first go only ! Your response is appreciable !