+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

POLICAP

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
computergeek said:
Submit an ATIP request to CSIS - they are the ones doing the background checks. While not common, there are cases in which CIC loses the results back from CSIS.

Some countries can take quite a long time for background checks, depending upon the diplomatic relations with Canada, staffing and workload. I know of some countries were it can take years.

Thanks for your advice. I have tried this but it seems as if the CSIS arm of Government was not on the list.
It shall be well appreciated if you can send me the link to this.

Regards,

POLICAP

gladness

Jun 29, 2014
Please i need your advice, i just received a message from my visa office to send proof of communication since our relationship began. What do they need how do i go about it? They even said submission in person will not be accepted. How di i submit? Thank u

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
POLICAP said:
Thanks for your advice. I have tried this but it seems as if the CSIS arm of Government was not on the list.
It shall be well appreciated if you can send me the link to this.
It's right on their website: https://www.csis.gc.ca/tp/index-en.php

While they do not participate in the electronic ATIP process, they are required (like all Canadian governmental agencies) to have an ATIP process. It just happens to be a paper process.

POLICAP

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
computergeek said:
It's right on their website: https://www.csis.gc.ca/tp/index-en.php

While they do not participate in the electronic ATIP process, they are required (like all Canadian governmental agencies) to have an ATIP process. It just happens to be a paper process.

Thanks computergeek , I just sent the completed form to the email address provided on their website.

But, I want you to remember that the dependant was a minor when he entered Canada and the Security Checks for the Principal Applicant took only 3 months to be completed. Why is it taken years for a minor who has no criminal record?

Their process is wired.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
khristinapa said:
Thank you so much for responding! we currently don't have any of the stated above options you listed... but we'll certainly go about doing those things!

About the letters, can my boyfriends son also write a letter? he is only 16. Does he have to be an adult to do so? also do the letters have to be notorized?
I believe for US common-law apps, the country specific guide states at least 2 letters must be statutory (so certified/notarized). For the rest it's optional.

For sure his son can write a letter. There is no minimum age. And showing you have a good relationship with your partner's son, is important for showing the genuineness of your relationship.

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
mbajouco said:
Hey everyone, So our first stage has been approved and we have gotten the fingerprints and photos needed to get the Informe de datos registrales. Do we have to get a background check for Canada too now that she has been here for over 6 months? Just wondering when we send all this to the embassy in mexico city will they forward this to Mississauga where our application is being processed? because according to the email we have to have it sent to case processing centre by jan 1/15. Also we want to apply for an open work permit, I cant do it online because my wife's visitor visa has expired and she is under implied status. In the work permit package it says we need a stamped imm 5401 receipt, since i paid for the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) online is that the reciept they are looking for?
So to apply for an OWP online under inland spousal sponsorship can my partner apply if she is on implied status?

She was on a visitor's visa and applied for an extension before the visa ran out. She is still waiting for to hear back from that visa. In the case she gets AIP before they decide on the visitor visa can she still apply for OWP using the online application?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Linden said:
She was on a visitor's visa and applied for an extension before the visa ran out. She is still waiting for to hear back from that visa. In the case she gets AIP before they decide on the visitor visa can she still apply for OWP using the online application?
No. An online application for an OWP can only be done once AIP has been granted. If she wishes to apply now, she should submit a written application ("extend or change conditions version") and request that it be added to the PR file and processed when AIP has been granted.

Nighty

Oct 10, 2014
Hi,

I would like to sponsor my common law partner to come to Canada with me. I am a bit confused with many questions. On the fence about inland vs. outland sponsorship and wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

In general, I understand that it takes about 2 years living in Canada once the PR card is obtained to qualify to apply for citizenship, is that correct?

Before I get into outland vs inland, I have a few concerns regarding my ability to sponsor.

1: I have lived in Thailand for two years but think i am still registered as a resident in Canada. Will they just consider me a traveller?

2: I was married before but never had the marriage registered with the Canadian embassy. We divorced and I have the papers to prove it. Will that cause problems? Do I have to register the marriage and divorce before I apply? Would my ex be notified in any way of my intentions to sponsor?

3: I am also wondering if it will matter if I am in default with my OSAP student loans… :eek: I am not bankrupt.

For inland sponsorship:

I am wondering if my partner can enter on a tourist visa before we apply for sponsorship. I am also wondering if she can apply for a standard work permit while waiting for the first stage of the application to go through, before is able to get an open work permit. I also understand that it's recommended to stay in the country during the application process but she may leave once she obtains her PR card, is that right? I read somewhere that she must live in Canada 2 out of every 5 years to maintain PR status.

Outland:

For Thailand, I hear it will take 41 days for the 1st stage of the application to go through, but 31 months for the second stage. I understand that it can be better to apply outland because my partner will be able to travel while processing, but she may be called back to Thailand, or Singapore (!?) for an interview and is basically grounded while they hold on to her passport for a while. Not sure about the details on that. My big question about outland sponsorship is if she wanted to enter Canada with me after the 1st stage of the application would she need to make a separate visa/work permit application, and go through that separate process? Or, would she somehow have clearance at that point to enter Canada?

Any help would surely be appreciated!

Thanks,

Pat

sh52

Sep 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-APRIL-2014
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
5-MAY-2014
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
2-JULY-2014
Med's Request
REMED DONE ON 13th FEB 2015
Med's Done....
2-APRIL-2014
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Hi!

In my notes its written: "marriage certificate SS check done on SPR" what does that mean??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Nighty said:
I would like to sponsor my common law partner to come to Canada with me. I am a bit confused with many questions. On the fence about inland vs. outland sponsorship and wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me.
In order to apply inland, your common law partner needs to get a visitor visa to Canada and then physically be in Canada when you apply. It tends to be very difficult to obtain a visitor visa when you have a partner who is Canadian (CIC often assumes the person is interested in remaining in Canada long term and isn't just entering as a tourist). So the inland/outland decision may be made for you if the visitor visa isn't approved. I would start by applying for the visitors visa and hope you get lucky. If the visitor visa is approved and you decide to go the inland route, your partner will qualify for an open work permit once the application has first stage approval. This is currently taking 13 months. Your partner may be able to obtain a work permit earlier - but this will be dependent on your partner finding an employer who is willing to hire her full time and dependent on that employer getting an approved LMIA which is an expensive ($1K) and lengthly process.

No - you don't need to register the marriage and divorce before you apply. However you should definitely include all of this paperwork with your application. As long as you are not bankrupt - you should be fine. As for citizenship - it's longer than 2 years. Right now you need 3 years of residency in Canada out of the last 4 to apply. This is going up to 4 years out of 6 years next year.

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
computergeek said:
No. An online application for an OWP can only be done once AIP has been granted. If she wishes to apply now, she should submit a written application ("extend or change conditions version") and request that it be added to the PR file and processed when AIP has been granted.
Sorry maybe my question wasn't clear.

I know she can't apply online for OWP until AIP. But when AIP does come, which could be soon for us, can she apply for OWP online if she has implied visitor's status?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Linden said:
I know she can't apply online for OWP until AIP. But when AIP does come, which could be soon for us, can she apply for OWP online if she has implied visitor's status?
Once AIP is granted, yes, she can apply for an OWP online. She doesn't need to be in status even (that's one of the key benefits).

jesmithers

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-05-2015
Med's Done....
14-09-2014
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
31-08-2015
Hello!

My boyfriend and I are looking to finally settle down and get together finally (We've finished schooling, ect). We've been in a relationship for about 7 years. We've been pretty serious about each other (he is American, I'm Canadian) and we're getting to the point where we want to get together and start a family. (We are both 24 years old). We were looking up the conjugal sponsorship but realized that we definitely don't fall into that category since we don't have immigration barriers. Honestly, if we lived in the same country we would have definitely been common-law by now but were never financially able to support ourselves. Anyways, we are talking about getting married and filing for spousal sponsorship but will that be seen as odd if we get married then send the papers in? We have photos and letters from each other when we were younger so we can prove that we've been in an "conjugal" relationship for 7 years. But I'm wondering if immigration will raise flags if we're sending our app within a month or so from getting married. Any suggestions/advice?

Thank you in advance :D

novembre2013

Star Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-10-2014
hello everyone
I wanted to share with you a application that I found. For those who need to print out text message from Iphone, try this
http://www.iphone-to-pc.com/how-print-iphone-text-messages-pc.html
it costs between 23 and 38$. I have managed to print 2 years of sms for my sponsorship application.
Hope it will help some people. :)

MizAngel

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/02/2014
Doc's Request.
11/03/2014
AOR Received.
23/04/2014
File Transfer...
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
jesmithers said:
Hello!

My boyfriend and I are looking to finally settle down and get together finally (We've finished schooling, ect). We've been in a relationship for about 7 years. We've been pretty serious about each other (he is American, I'm Canadian) and we're getting to the point where we want to get together and start a family. (We are both 24 years old). We were looking up the conjugal sponsorship but realized that we definitely don't fall into that category since we don't have immigration barriers. Honestly, if we lived in the same country we would have definitely been common-law by now but were never financially able to support ourselves. Anyways, we are talking about getting married and filing for spousal sponsorship but will that be seen as odd if we get married then send the papers in? We have photos and letters from each other when we were younger so we can prove that we've been in an "conjugal" relationship for 7 years. But I'm wondering if immigration will raise flags if we're sending our app within a month or so from getting married. Any suggestions/advice?

Thank you in advance :D
Nope, not weird at all. You could apply the day after you get married and CIC would not see it as an issue.

My husband and I were married last November and if we had had all the paperwork ready at the time, we would have applied right away. As it is, we applied in February and he already landed in August.