+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

teboink

Jan 7, 2012
Hi there,

I'm new in this forum and found this very helpful. I'm glad to know that there are people out there who likes to help others. I happen to chanced upon this site while surfing the web for some information. I have some questions to ask myself. Your advises and help will be greatly appreciated.

Here's my current situation:
My fiancee is a Canadian while I'm a Filipino. We are planning to get married this year, sometime between March - May and start the sponsorship thereafter. I would like to know, how soon can we apply for sponsorship? Like months after the marriage or weeks after the marriage?

Also, I used to apply as a skilled worker immigrant 2-3 years ago. But my PR application was denied that time because I was only awarded 65 points, 2 points short from the minimum 67 points requirement. That time, I declared my then boyfriend as my common-law partner although CIC did not honor our relationship and did not give any points on it. My ex left me months after it happened due to some personal misunderstandings. I met my now fiancee last March. We truly love each other but I know we'll have difficulty with the sponsorship process. I felt stressed out and traumatized by my previous visa application experience that I'm afraid to do it again. My fiancee insists on living in Canada instead of residing in the Philippines or another country when I tried to talk him out of it. I want us to be together but it's difficult.

My additional questions are: For how long does CIC keep records of previous applications? I'm aware of the requirements and stuff but I'm afraid that they will find loopholes on my next application, especially with my previous common-law partner.

I paid an immigrant consultancy in Makati to help me with my previous application. They just seemed accommodating during the first stages of the application but when the application was denied, they were not approachable anymore. I can still ask for their assistance since I paid their service fee years ago but I don't have confidence in them anymore.

Please advise me. I will be very grateful for your kind replies. Thank you. :)

jun14

Star Member
Dec 20, 2011
gujarat
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississuaga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/june/11
Doc's Request.
10/ NOV /11
File Transfer...
14/Aug/11
Med's Request
sent with application
Med's Done....
10/ may /11
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
1/ sept / 11 p p r date
VISA ISSUED...
INSHaALLAH soon
LANDED..........
INSHaALLAH soon
hello every one i looked other thread and there someone e cas status is change is '' in prcess '' to '' Decision has been made on your application '' hope we have also good news

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
teboink said:
Here's my current situation:
My fiancee is a Canadian while I'm a Filipino. We are planning to get married this year, sometime between March - May and start the sponsorship thereafter. I would like to know, how soon can we apply for sponsorship? Like months after the marriage or weeks after the marriage?
You can apply as soon as you have the marriage certificate. There is no crime in having applied for immigration before. There is also no crime in having had a different boyfriend 2 or 3 years ago than you do now. You do not need a consultant to apply for you. You can do it yourselves.

Amy612

Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
N/A
watsonwoo said:
My situation:

I am Canadian.

Location of spouse: Singapore.
Category: Family/Spouse
Application received: Sep 27, 2011
Response Sponsorship approved: Dec 08, 2011
Medical certificate was included.

Now, we are still waiting.
HI,

I am also a september applicant. I applied on sept 28 and got approval januray 4, 2012. In january 6, it shows decission made for sponsorship part and application received and medical received for PR status. Could you please share me your ecas status? By the way they are showing PR application received sept 28, the day they received my file in CPC-M.

LD Waiting

Oct 24, 2011
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-2010
File Transfer...
21-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-2010
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
12/01/2012
VISA ISSUED...
23/01/2012
LANDED..........
03/02/2012
Hi Leon,
I have a quick question/concern. My hubby is from trinidad and got a letter on friday saying he has to have medical re-do and also drop off his passport... Which I know is wonderful news. However, we are concerned because it said in the letter he is expected to land in Canada before his daughter's medical expires which is February 4th .... Soooo we are getting nervous that there isn't enough time .... What are your thoughts on this? Also his medical is on Tuesday. And thoughts or suggestions on what we can do would be great.... Thank you!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jays said:
Hi there ! I am new in this forum.
I need some advice. I am a Canadian.
I married my husband 2008, we stayed in his country for the past 4 years, with me flying back to Canada every year, and pay my taxes every year. Unfortunately last year he was convicted for instigating someone to commit a theft. He was put to jail for 6 months in his country prison. Now he is out and I am thinking of coming back to Canada with him to start our new life here. I want to sponsor him to stay here. I have a house, car and my small retail shop here. Will he be rejected base on this only bad record he has?
Many thanks!
Have a read through the information on the following web site. It would probably also be a good idea to see a lawyer. It sounds like your husband may inadmissible to Canada for at least 5 years after the completion of his jail term:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp#deemed

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
scylla said:
Have a read through the information on the following web site. It would probably also be a good idea to see a lawyer. It sounds like your husband may inadmissible to Canada for at least 5 years after the completion of his jail term:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp#deemed
The following page may also be useful.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/faq-inadmissibility.asp

Especially the answer to the following question:

When am I eligible to apply for rehabilitation?

You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation if:

you committed a crime outside Canada (for which you were not charged) and five years have passed since, or
you were convicted of a crime outside Canada and five years have passed since the end of your sentence.

For example:

In 1989, I was convicted of driving while impaired in the United States. I did not serve any time in prison and I have had no other convictions. Will I be allowed to enter Canada?

Based on your circumstances, it is possible an immigration officer would find you deemed rehabilitated under a system called deemed rehabilitation. Deemed rehabilitation applies to people who have one previous conviction over 10 years ago. If an immigration officer finds you deemed rehabilitated, you will probably be allowed to enter Canada as long as all other requirements are also met.

On June 3, 2003, I was convicted of driving under the influence and had my driver’s licence taken away from me for three years. When am I eligible to apply for rehabilitation?

Your sentence — which includes the period your licence was suspen ded — ends on June 3, 2006. Count five years from the end date of the suspension or the date your driver’s licence is reinstated. You would therefore be eligible to apply for rehabilitation on June 3, 2011.

I was convicted of a crime on December 13, 2002, and received a jail sentence of three months. When will I be eligible to apply for rehabilitation?

You can apply for rehabilitation five years after the end of your sentence . If your three-month jail sentence ended March 13, 2003, you have been eligible to apply for rehabilitation since March 13, 2008, as long as no other terms (for instance: parole, probation, etc.) were imposed on your sentence.

I have one conviction for which I was given three years of probation. Do I apply for rehabilitation after my probation is finished?

Yes, you can, but only after five years. You are not eligible for rehabilitation until five years after the end of your sentence. Since probation is included in your sentence, you can apply for rehabilitation five years after you complete your probation.

Cxyrus

Star Member
Nov 15, 2011
hi guyz...did somebody check your E-cas today....Coz mine just said "Decision Made" - "Application Received" and then my mailing address on the top....What does it means?? Is it a good sign??? thanks..

teboink

Jan 7, 2012
Leon said:
You can apply as soon as you have the marriage certificate. There is no crime in having applied for immigration before. There is also no crime in having had a different boyfriend 2 or 3 years ago than you do now. You do not need a consultant to apply for you. You can do it yourselves.
Hi Leon,

Thanks for making me feel a little less bothered by your kind reply. I have another question though. After CIC gave their denial letter that time, I submitted additional documents to support my then common law claim, as per the advise of the consultant. But said set of documents were returned to me weeks after with CIC saying that my application was close. I just want to make sure if what I'm thinking is right, CIC did not keep any record of that set of documents because my application's status was denied before those were sent to them, is this correct?
Thank you so much! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
teboink said:
I just want to make sure if what I'm thinking is right, CIC did not keep any record of that set of documents because my application's status was denied before those were sent to them, is this correct?
Even if they did, does it really matter? It is not a crime to have a common law relationship break up and end up having another boyfriend you end up marrying. I think it is actually very common in Canada for that kind of thing to happen.

teboink

Jan 7, 2012
Leon said:
Even if they did, does it really matter? It is not a crime to have a common law relationship break up and end up having another boyfriend you end up marrying. I think it is actually very common in Canada for that kind of thing to happen.
Hi Leon,

The thing is, it's not common here in the Philippines to have a new relationship just after a few months of being separated from a long term relationship...or it's what I'm thinking.... ;D

rhysmaria

Jan 9, 2012
What if you are sponsoring your spouse but he has way more money that you do and bringing it to Canada, does he co-sign the sponsor application?
Information: I still meet the required amount to sponsor him though, just worried because I am self-employed.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
There is no minimum income requirement when sponsoring your spouse, so you're fine there.

The only person allowed to be a co-signer on an application is a spouse, and since you will be sponsoring your spouse he can't be a co signer... you can't sponsor yourself! There are no co-signers allowed for a spousal sponsorship.

What you can do is show your income as well as your spouse's income which will prove beyond a doubt that you can support him and that there is no way that he will be getting social assistance (welfare).

After proving your relationship is genuine you'll probably have little to no problem in getting your husband PR.

Dec 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2011
File Transfer...
29-09-2011
Med's Done....
05-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012
Hi

According to the embassy in Paris I will receive my COPR soon. Is it true that I will not get a visa in my Swiss passport? Can I land in Canada just with my Swiss passport (no visa in it) and my COPR?

Appreciate any answers! Thanks!