+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

V

viictus

Hi.

My Fiancee and I are planning to marry within the next month or so. She is a Canadian citizen and I am a U.S. Citizen. After marriage we are going to begin the spousal sponsorship process so I can obtain PR. I am currently staying with her in Canada as a visitor. I have approval through a visitor record to stay until December 31st, 2012. I have three children from a previous relationship that will not be coming with me to live Canada as their mother has physical custody. All this being said I have a few questions that I hope this people on this forum can answer.

1. Concerning my children, do I need to have immigration photos taken even though they are not accompanying me to Canada? Their mother is extremely combative and is unwilling to help me obtain photos and/or medical checks.

2. Should we file the application as outland or inland? I would like to stay with my wife (future) as long as possible during the application process but I also need to travel to the U.S. for visitation with my children. I would hope that they would be able to come into Canada during these visits as well.

3. I do not have a passport book as I use a passport card to travel across the border from the U.S. to Canada. Will this be an issue for our application? If so, I will just apply for a standard passport book.

Thank you for any and all help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
viictus said:
1. Concerning my children, do I need to have immigration photos taken even though they are not accompanying me to Canada? Their mother is extremely combative and is unwilling to help me obtain photos and/or medical checks.
Even though you are not taking your children, you must list them as non-accompanying in your application and they must have their medicals. If this does not happen, you will never be able to sponsor them for PR in the future. Canada immigration will allow this only if your ex has full custody and completely refuses to co-operate but you must prove that this is the case by trying your best to get the medicals and have it documented that she refuses.

If you have unsupervised visitation with the children, you shouldn't have a problem getting photos taken and taking them for medicals without her knowledge. If you do not have unsupervised visitation, you should try your best to get her to agree anyway, for two reasons. 1) if something happens to her, lets say car accident, you would not be able to sponsor the children for PR and bring them to Canada and 2) the children might want to be sponsored for PR when they are older in order to work or study in Canada and they might not be very grateful for her if she has prevented that as an option for them.

viictus said:
2. Should we file the application as outland or inland? I would like to stay with my wife (future) as long as possible during the application process but I also need to travel to the U.S. for visitation with my children. I would hope that they would be able to come into Canada during these visits as well.
If you want to be able to leave Canada during your processing, go for outland. It is faster too and it does not prevent you from visiting or staying in Canada during your processing as long as you don't overstay your 6 months.

V

viictus

Thank you for the extremely prompt reply.

Where can I obtain immigration photos in the U.S.? I want to give my ex-wife as much information as possible when trying to convince her of the benefit of helping my application in regards to the children. I don't have visitation until the summer and I would love to have my application well underway by that time.

I have approval to stay in Canada until the end of 2012 and more than enough money to support myself so staying in Canada during the application process doesn't appear to be an issue anymore. I'm still concerned about only having a passport card but I guess I can call immigration for more information regarding that issue.

Thanks again!!

V

viictus

One more question...

Will having my children listed on my application as non-accompanying affect the minimum income requirement for sponsorship? I know there is no requirement for just sponsoring a spouse and it's probably a silly question but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again.

watsonwoo

Nov 12, 2006
Amy612 said:
HI,

I am also a september applicant. I applied on sept 28 and got approval januray 4, 2012. In january 6, it shows decission made for sponsorship part and application received and medical received for PR status. Could you please share me your ecas status? By the way they are showing PR application received sept 28, the day they received my file in CPC-M.
Hi Amy612:

Category........: Family
Visa Office......: Singapore
App. Filed.......: 27-09-211
Sponsorship Approved.....: 08-12-2011
Medical Certificate....: 08-12-2011 Done and included with application.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Thanks

vet25

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2011
AOR Received.
25-11-2011
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
31-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 27/04/2012
LANDED..........
I have a few questions about the process and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

CIC received my application to sponsor my common-law spouse in early October 2011. We are both currently living in the UK and will be moving to Quebec. When I check my application status online, all it says is "Application received" even though the processing time is now passed the reception date...any ideas how long this can last??

Also, I am moving back to Quebec in one week as I am now done my studies, and I was wondering when my partner can come join me? We're not sure if he can come over as a visitor while we wait to find out if I'm approved as a sponsor, or if we need to wait for CIC to tell us when he may move.....

Thanks for all your help!!

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
vet25 said:
I have a few questions about the process and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

CIC received my application to sponsor my common-law spouse in early October 2011. We are both currently living in the UK and will be moving to Quebec. When I check my application status online, all it says is "Application received" even though the processing time is now passed the reception date...any ideas how long this can last??

Also, I am moving back to Quebec in one week as I am now done my studies, and I was wondering when my partner can come join me? We're not sure if he can come over as a visitor while we wait to find out if I'm approved as a sponsor, or if we need to wait for CIC to tell us when he may move.....

Thanks for all your help!!
Hey can go as a visitor as he is visa exempt. He doesn't need a visa to visit. If he's only going to be on visitors status though he can't move 100%. Make sure he has some kind of ties back in the UK until he gets his PR.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
rhysmaria said:
What if you are sponsoring your spouse but he has way more money that you do and bringing it to Canada, does he co-sign the sponsor application?
Information: I still meet the required amount to sponsor him though, just worried because I am self-employed.
No. Obviously an applicant would not be able to co-sign a sponsorship for themselves. There is no need to be worried because of the level of your income if you are self-employed. Indicate in any supplemental information you provide regarding your shared finances your spouse's savings/investment/whatever that he will be bringing with him.

Dec 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2011
File Transfer...
29-09-2011
Med's Done....
05-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012
1291 said:
Hi

According to the embassy in Paris I will receive my COPR soon. Is it true that I will not get a visa in my Swiss passport? Can I land in Canada just with my Swiss passport (no visa in it) and my COPR?

Appreciate any answers! Thanks!

May anybody help me with my uncertainness?

mel_n

Star Member
Oct 22, 2011
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2011
AOR Received.
02-02-2012
File Transfer...
13-01-2012
Med's Done....
03-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2012
LANDED..........
Mid-July 2012
1291 said:
May anybody help me with my uncertainness?
Yes, applicants from visa-exempt countries will no longer get a PPR, just a COPR.

Dec 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2011
File Transfer...
29-09-2011
Med's Done....
05-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012
mel_n said:
Yes, applicants from visa-exempt countries will no longer get a PPR, just a COPR.
What countries are visa exempt? Also the US?

Cxyrus

Star Member
Nov 15, 2011
Amy612 said:
HI,

I am also a september applicant. I applied on sept 28 and got approval januray 4, 2012. In january 6, it shows decission made for sponsorship part and application received and medical received for PR status. Could you please share me your ecas status? By the way they are showing PR application received sept 28, the day they received my file in CPC-M.
same as mine...i applied Sept.28 too...and got approved last dec.15..and same situation in the ecas as well..

mel_n

Star Member
Oct 22, 2011
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2011
AOR Received.
02-02-2012
File Transfer...
13-01-2012
Med's Done....
03-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2012
LANDED..........
Mid-July 2012
1291 said:
What countries are visa exempt? Also the US?
Visitor Visa Exemptions

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic of), Latvia (Republic of), Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, and Western Samoa;
persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;
British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom;
citizens of British dependent territories who derive their citizenship through birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British dependent territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands;
persons holding a British National (Overseas) Passport issued by the Government of the United Kingdom to persons born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong;
British subjects who hold a passport issued by the United Kingdom and who have the “right of abode” there
persons holding a valid and subsisting Special Administrative Region passport issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China;
persons holding passports or travel documents issued by the Holy See;
persons holding an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes their personal identification number.

Dec 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2011
File Transfer...
29-09-2011
Med's Done....
05-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012
mel_n said:
Visitor Visa Exemptions

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic of), Latvia (Republic of), Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, and Western Samoa;
persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;
British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom;
citizens of British dependent territories who derive their citizenship through birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British dependent territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands;
persons holding a British National (Overseas) Passport issued by the Government of the United Kingdom to persons born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong;
British subjects who hold a passport issued by the United Kingdom and who have the “right of abode” there
persons holding a valid and subsisting Special Administrative Region passport issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China;
persons holding passports or travel documents issued by the Holy See;
persons holding an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes their personal identification number.
Thats why I was confused. I thought that this list is for visitor visas only. I didn't know that its for immigrant visas as well. Thanks for your help!

mel_n

Star Member
Oct 22, 2011
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2011
AOR Received.
02-02-2012
File Transfer...
13-01-2012
Med's Done....
03-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2012
LANDED..........
Mid-July 2012
1291 said:
Thats why I was confused. I thought that this list is for visitor visas only. I didn't know that its for immigrant visas as well. Thanks for your help!
No problem, you can find more info on this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/no-more-passport-requests-t92773.0.html

There's a link to an official bulletin detailing this. It's a very recent change.