+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Popo012

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Computergeek

Alright I understand but I'm inland but when the application got transfer to VO for the 2nd,is it still in vegreville?do you know how much this fee can be?.Cuz I would like to get ready for it :).So I'm guessing the Outland process in Ottawa not the inland?

KIM1960

Nov 19, 2012
Hello Leon,

I need you help. I have been married since 1985 and we have two children (22 and 26 years old for now; both are single). In 2007 we immigrated all to Canada as PR.

In few month my husband came back to our county of origin. We are separated from 2007 until now; my status "separated" have been reflected in my taxes since 2007.

Nowadays, I am a Canadian citizen, younger child is a Canadian citizen as well, older child is PR. My husband lost his PR status and he is living overseas. I saw him two years ago. I with our two children is living in Canada in the same dwelling. Now I am thinking about reconciliation.

I am on social assistant and have some seasonal jobs. We are separated about 5 years. Our children are adults.

How I can sponsor my husband?

For how long should I stay with him for reconciliation? What are my steps should be?

Please, advise me the possible ways. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KIM1960 said:
Hello Leon,

I need you help. I have been married since 1985 and we have two children (22 and 26 years old for now; both are single). In 2007 we immigrated all to Canada as PR.

In few month my husband came back to our county of origin. We are separated from 2007 until now; my status "separated" have been reflected in my taxes since 2007.

Nowadays, I am a Canadian citizen, younger child is a Canadian citizen as well, older child is PR. My husband lost his PR status and he is living overseas. I saw him two years ago. I with our two children is living in Canada in the same dwelling. Now I am thinking about reconciliation.

I am on social assistant and have some seasonal jobs. We are separated about 5 years. Our children are adults.

How I can sponsor my husband?

For how long should I stay with him for reconciliation? What are my steps should be?

Please, advise me the possible ways. Thank you.
The first step is to get off social assistance and stay off social assistance. You cannot sponsor him while on social assistance.

KIM1960

Nov 19, 2012
My question is if stay off social assistant and I come back home after what period can I sponsor my husband? I still will not have enough income to support us in Canada. Have I any chance to sponsor him?

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KIM1960 said:
It is easy to say than done. OK, after that I should go overseas to stay with him for how long?
To stay with him for what purpose? If you want to just visit him, it's up to you how long to stay. But obviously the longer you're together, the more time you will have to determine IF you really want to get back together again. From CIC's point of view, you're still legally married, so you don't have to prove a genuine marriage. The only thing you will have to demonstrate is that your husband wants to come to Canada in order to be with his wife again, as opposed to scamming the system for an easy citizenship. Also, make sure you check to see how long you're allowed to be out of the country before your social assistance gets cut off. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of time limit (perhaps 2-4 weeks, but I'm not sure so you better check that because you shouldn't expect the government to continue depositing money into your bank account if you're out of the country for months at a time).

KIM1960 said:
My question is if stay off social assistant and I come back home after what period can I sponsor my husband? I still will not have enough income to support us in Canada. Have I any chance to sponsor him?
There's no minimum level of income required to sponsor a husband or wife. The only time there's a minimum requirement is when there are dependent children being sponsored.

As for how long you should wait, I would give it at least 6 months after you get off social assistance before you apply, AND make sure you have a steady job during those 6 months. Ideally it would be 12 months or longer, but that's up to you.

It also depends how long you've been on it. If CIC checks your history and they see you've been on social assistance for 80 or 90% of the time you've been in Canada, you might have a hard time getting approved as a sponsor.

All of those technical issues aside, make sure you give some REAL SERIOUS thought to whether or not you really want to get back together with him. The reason I say that is because if he's been living without you for the last 5 years, it's entirely possible that now he just wants you to get him into Canada so he can get his citizenship, after which he will leave you again. If you sponsor somebody, you are financially responsible for that person for 3 years after they arrive in Canada. So if he gets here and leaves you and goes on social assistance, CIC will require you to pay back ALL the money that he receives on social assistance during that 3 year period.

KIM1960

Nov 19, 2012
Thank you for your opinion. I will think twice. And for sure, I will notify the government if I come back for a couple of months.

And your thoughts are that I can not be sponsor without descent job? But they do not have income requirements and I do not have dependent children.

If he come to the country he can rent out our principle residence that he cannot do right away because this is only place he is living. It can give me some rental income (about $450) (just in case he will move to the country).

Does it help

surbhi65

Star Member
Nov 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4th july
Passport Req..
26th sept
VISA ISSUED...
21st jan
hi..
Pls help me its really important.
I applied for PR on july 4,2012
and i got passport request on sept 22
at that time i was in canada visiting my husband and the ecas status was Application received on July 4
Medical results have been received
so i came back to india on oct 29 and submitted the passport .
But still i am getting the same status.
I am confused that do this status means my case is in process or it has to specifically say "in process"?
I really need some help.
thanks in advance

KIM1960

Nov 19, 2012
Thank you and I am waiting for your thoughts. It is not easy to find a well paid job after 55. If I tell CIC about my possible rental income about 450$ per months (just in case he move out) is it help to approve me as a sponsor?
Or it sounds stupid?

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KIM1960 said:
And your thoughts are that I can not be sponsor without descent job? But they do not have income requirements and I do not have dependent children.
No, I didn't say you can't be a sponsor without a decent job. What I said was you need to be completely off social assistance, and it would look much better on your application if you were working at a steady job for 6-12 months before you apply. It doesn't need to be a high-paying job - just a steady job which shows that you're working.

KIM1960 said:
If he come to the country he can rent out our principle residence that he cannot do right away because this is only place he is living. It can give me some rental income (about $450) (just in case he will move to the country).

Does it help
It won't help you until after you are both in Canada. But for your sponsor application, it will not help because that income will not benefit you for the reason that you said: he can only rent it after he is no longer living there. However, you can mention it in a letter when you submit your application, and it will show that the two of you will have an immediate source of income when he arrives while he is waiting to get his work permit. So in that sense, it will help because it will show that there's a revenue stream there for you, which will lower the chances of having to be on social assistance.

KIM1960

Nov 19, 2012
My goal to get rid of social assistant as soon as possible. And I do not want him to collect the money from government. I hope he can work as car mechanic. And if I decide to come back I notify them right away. But the problem: if they allow me to sponsored him. I cannot promise to find a job after arrival back. My only hope- his skills and modest rental income that can replace assistance for me. What do you say about?

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
KIM1960 said:
Thank you for your opinion. I will think twice. And for sure, I will notify the government if I come back for a couple of months.

Does it help
Hello Kim,

If you're not on social assistance at the time of the application and stay off it until the time the visa is issued, then technically, you can sponsor your husband. You won't be turned down as a sponsor for that reason.

However, there are two problems I see.

The first is that you might be asked questions about whether the relationship is genuine. In other words, is he reconciling just so he can return to Canada? The fact that he left Canada voluntarily is positive in this regard, but there's no telling what a visa officer will think. They might look at whether his current economic circumstances at home have worsened and this might have made him change his mind. In this case, you might need the same kind of proof of relationship that recently married couples need. (Just to clarify, don't answer these questions here. I'm just saying it might come up.)

The second problem is potentially more serious, particularly if you have a long history of being on welfare. The law says this:

"A foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support themself or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have been made."

What this means is they're interested in whether you and your husband, together, are likely to be able to meet the financial needs of the family without welfare. If they think that you've gotten off welfare and gotten a job only so you can meet the requirements to sponsor, then they may not think you'll be able to continue bringing that income in. Then they'll look at your husband's employability in Canada. For example, what are his professional skills? Does he speak English or French well enough? Is he in good health? You don't both have to be able to work, but one of you has to be able to earn an income. As a last resort, potentially, if your children are able to earn money to support the family, then this might be an alternative, but they'd want to see that the children are capable of supporting you now.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KIM1960 said:
My goal to get rid of social assistant as soon as possible. And I do not want him to collect the money from government. I hope he can work as car mechanic.
If he is a licensed or trained car mechanic, that will be a very good start for him in Canada. Here will need to get his license here (and possibly work as an apprentice for a couple of years before that), and then that will provide him with a good enough income that he could easily support the two of you.

KIM1960 said:
But the problem: if they allow me to sponsored him. I cannot promise to find a job after arrival back. My only hope- his skills and modest rental income that can replace assistance for me. What do you say about?
You first have to get off social assistance and find a job and work there for at least a few months BEFORE they will allow you to sponsor him.

There are two stages in every spousal sponsorship:

1) you, the sponsor, first have to be approved
2) after you get approved, your husband must get approved

So you don't have to promise anybody anything - you just have to get off social assistance and find a job - any job - which will let you get stage 1 approval.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
surbhi65 said:
hi..
Pls help me its really important.
I applied for PR on july 4,2012
and i got passport request on sept 22
at that time i was in canada visiting my husband and the ecas status was Application received on July 4
Medical results have been received
so i came back to india on oct 29 and submitted the passport .
But still i am getting the same status.
I am confused that do this status means my case is in process or it has to specifically say "in process"?
I really need some help.
thanks in advance
If they requested your passport, that means your visa approval will be coming soon. Don't worry too much about the status. It's not always accurate and not always updated exactly as it should be.

markym

Jul 17, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2012
AOR Received.
10-26-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
tuyen said:
If they requested your passport, that means your visa approval will be coming soon. Don't worry too much about the status. It's not always accurate and not always updated exactly as it should be.

mine too... my ecas isn't updated :( it is always the same. that's keeping me so frustrated. haha
aw. i hope there would be a miracle for everyone...

and all i want for now is to see an update on my ecas :(

Godbless everyone..