+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PandaChan said:
So my husband wanted me to ask a hypothetical question. (He's even more impatient then I am, lol).

We applied back in July for our Sponsorship, Outland. He currently lives in Tennessee.
I have already been Sponsor Approved and right now his PR application is in process. Eligibility is being reviewed and a background check is needed but has not been started.

He is wanting to know if in December (If he hasn't yet received COPR), he could 'move' here (basically just visit), for the remainder of the time while we wait for COPR.
But my concern is that doesn't he need to have a US address?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob131.asp

Assessing “dual intent’'

A person’s desire to apply for permanent residence before or during a period of temporary residence in Canada may be legitimate. An officer should distinguish between an applicant whose intentions are bona fide and an applicant who has no intention of leaving Canada at the end of their authorized stay if the application for permanent residence is refused.

In assessing bona fides, the individual circumstances of the temporary resident applicant must be examined; refusals of non-bona fide temporary residents may only withstand legal challenge when the refusal is based on the information related to the specific case before an officer. Guidance on assessing bona fides is available in FW 1, section 5.25 (Temporary Foreign Workers), OP 11, section 13 (Temporary Residents) and OP 12, section 5.15 (Foreign Students).

In assessing an application for temporary residence an officer may also consider factors such as:

* the length of time that the client will be spending in Canada;
* the means of support;
* obligations and ties in the home country; and
* compliance with other requirements of the IRPA/R applicable to visitors, workers and students.

If an officer has concerns/doubts about the applicant’s bona fides, the applicant must be made aware of these concerns and given an opportunity to respond to them.

If the officer starts to ask questions about where he lives, he should absolutely be prepared to show that he has a place to call home back in Tennessee! If he encounters an over zealous officer, or one that's perhaps not feeling very friendly that day, he could have issues.

Now...having said that, since you have SA already, he really shouldn't have a problem, but since it is ultimately up to the officer's assessment when he presents himself for inspection...there are no guarantees.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
many pr applicants visit canada and stay with their spouses for their entire application process. there is absolutely no issue with this. the important thing is the applicant wants to be prepared to show "ties" to their home country, proof their application is submitted, and as stated above never use the words "moving" or "living" when entering as a visitor. CBSA may not even question him, and he may just breeze through as normal. having the information listed above is good for "back up" in case he gets a moody officer.
This is exactly what I did/I'm doing. Up here now, and changed the address on my PR application (through eCAS) to "our" apartment in AB.

Just got my AB driver's license today as well. Since I'm coming up from the US, and my wife/spouse got SA last week, they said I was able to get my license under AB regulations.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
Ponga said:
If the officer starts to ask questions about where he lives, he should absolutely be prepared to show that he has a place to call home back in Tennessee! If he encounters an over zealous officer, or one that's perhaps not feeling very friendly that day, he could have issues.

Now...having said that, since you have SA already, he really shouldn't have a problem, but since it is ultimately up to the officer's assessment when he presents himself for inspection...there are no guarantees.
Coming from the US, with a spouse that has been given SA, he should have very few problems.

lvl_stella

Dec 21, 2015
Hi,

My partner and I started living together since Jan 2015, but I went back home for a family visit in Oct 2015.I had to get a new visa since my work permit was not eligible for a second entry to Canada, so it took me a while. I came back to Canada Dec 03,2015. I have lived with my partner ever since. So, do you think I should wait until Dec 2016 for a common law application or am I good to apply any time. I was worried the one month and half being away would break the common law eligibility (?)

Thank you for your help :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lvl_stella said:
My partner and I started living together since Jan 2015, but I went back home for a family visit in Oct 2015.I had to get a new visa since my work permit was not eligible for a second entry to Canada, so it took me a while. I came back to Canada Dec 03,2015. I have lived with my partner ever since. So, do you think I should wait until Dec 2016 for a common law application or am I good to apply any time. I was worried the one month and half being away would break the common law eligibility (?)
Hi

You need to wait until Dec 2016. One and a half months is too long of a separation.

Avicon2016

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Hi, has anyone here got their Police Clearance from Singapore. I am a Filipino holding a work visa in SG and not sure how to obtain police clearance certificate. I read from here that you can email, set an appointment and collect certificate, however I also read that after submitting requirements, the department in Singapire will forward the clearance to visa office.

Samzzk

Aug 4, 2016
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-12-2015
Med's Done....
29-06-2017
Re: Spousal pr request from cpc cdc

CPC CDC REPLY TO CHANGE IN STATUS AS MARRIED
« on: October 04, 2016, 03:36:17 am »
Quote Modify Remove
So my husband received an email from cpc ottawa for change in status from single to married and also received his medical exam letter.

Thank you for informing us of your change in marital status.

If your spouse or common-law partner (CLP) is a Canadian citizen or if they have obtained permanent residence status in Canada, you are required to send us a proof of their status (birth certificate, Permanent Resident Card, etc.).

If your spouse or CLP is NOT a Canadian citizen or has NOT obtained permanent residence status in Canada, you will need to complete each of the following steps in order to have them added to your existing application and examined for compliance with admissibility requirements (medical, criminality and security). Unless otherwise stated, the following is mandatory whether or not your spouse or CLP decides to accompany you to Canada.

1. Processing fee and Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) for your spouse or CLP
If your spouse or CLP intends to accompany you to Canada at this time, a processing fee of $550 and a RPRF of $490 must be paid for their application. The payment of these fees must be made online:

Along with a list of forms and details.
Now my question is:

1. Since my husband has got his medical request letter from cic and is about to undergo his medical exam in two days, when we submit my pr details online how long will it take for me to receive my pr??

2. We were thinking about applying for a spousal open work permit aswell but since we have been asked to email all the spousal pr details to an email address of cpc cdc ottawa ,how do we submit our sowp application? Should we send along with the spousal pr file or should we apply separately online?

Many thanks.

If we do not receive the information/documents within 30 days, your application will be assessed based on the information we have on file, meaning your application could be refused as incomplete.

PandaChan

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 4, 2016
AOR Received.
July 21, 2016
File Transfer...
August 23, 2016
Med's Done....
June 1, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
PR approved Oct 14, 2016
LANDED..........
Nov 11, 2016
Omegabyte said:
Coming from the US, with a spouse that has been given SA, he should have very few problems.
Yeah, I have no idea what to do.
My husband has his own apartment right now in Tennessee, but if he comes here to visit while we wait for COPR and for some reason doesn't get allowed entry for not having a US address/anything to tie him there or if he for some reason gets denied COPR, then he won't have anywhere to go back to. :(
So probably best for us to wait for approval...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
PandaChan said:
Yeah, I have no idea what to do.
My husband has his own apartment right now in Tennessee, but if he comes here to visit while we wait for COPR and for some reason doesn't get allowed entry for not having a US address/anything to tie him there or if he for some reason gets denied COPR, then he won't have anywhere to go back to. :(
So probably best for us to wait for approval...
you are worrying over something that isn't an issue.

whether he changes his address with CIC for his application has nothing to do with his entry into canada and is not your issue. one thing has nothing to do with the other. CBSA isn't going to know he changed his address with CIC and they aren't going to care. if they find out by some miracle, then all he has to say is, he is planning to visit you while the application processes and wants to be sure he doesn't miss any letters from CIC. it's not even going to come up, because CBSA isn't going to care about the details of his application. All CBSA cares about is if he is following the rules. The fact he has submitted a PR application shows them he is.

he is going to be asked the standard questions everyone else is asked. if he gives the primary officer a reason for him to need further investigation, he will be sent into secondary. all he has to say when entering is "i'm here to visit my wife. my application for PR is submitted." generally he's not going to be sent into secondary unless he sounds or looks like he's doing something wrong. visiting his wife while his application processes is not wrong. leaving your apt behind and trying to enter canada with all your worldly posessions is probably going to be suspicious.

your issue is whether he looks and acts like a visitor or acts like someone who is moving before they are allowed to. since he's visiting, he should be able to maintain some ties to the us when visiting canada, no? what was he planning to do with his apartment and belongings? when someone goes on a trip, they typically don't give up their apt and belongings, right? just because he wants to stay for longer, doesn't mean the same doesn't apply. yes, if he gave that up and tried to cross the border with all his belongings, that would probably lead to an issue. that's not visiting, that is moving. so, he can certainly keep his stuff in tennessee, come visit you, get approved, then go back to "pack up".

unless he gives CBSA a reason to be suspicious, a majority of people breeze through the border. he needs to be prepared. that is all. being prepared means being able to show ties to the us, proof of his application and knowing not to say "moving" or "living", and not showing up with all his belongings. if he plans to give up his apartment while he's visiting you, it's best for him to do that after he's already gotten to canada. it's not recommended to get rid of anything before being approved as pr. there is no reason he can't visit, unless the "all or nothing" scenario suggested is financially motivated.

be prepared, know what to say and act as a visitor. there is absolutely no issue and a very slim to no chance he will face issue at the border.

gbharath2

Aug 1, 2015
All ,

I have a quick question on my application being processed . Sponsor accepted and application for PR is taken up on November 9 and started processing on Jan22.
CIC has requested for further documents on Aug 3 from Delhi which I had sent by email and post which I never had got any response till now and is not processed further.

Can someone please update how long does this process take to see if they had atleast received the information since there is no acknowledgement that they had received the documents and couldnt track and not sure if the PR process itself is extended overall.

Thank you for all your response on this

Chachatsina

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 28, 2017
AOR Received.
Application received: February 10, 2017 AOR 1: March 4, 2017. SA received: March 13, 2017
Med's Done....
Upfront medical done November 17, 2016
Hi good day. Im charmaine, i just got married last july 2016.. i just want to ask for some help or suggestions on how to start my spousal sponsorship application.. im currently working in singapore as an assistant nurse actually my contract is ending this coming february 2017.. we are planning to submit the application before going back to philippines as soon as possible but were having a hard time on how to start. All the response and help will be much appreciated! Thankyou.

-i just also want to ask if where to get this. If im requesting a police clearance here in singapore.
Photocopy of document from relevant consulate/immigration authority/government bodies to establish that the certificate is required by such authority. All documents are to be translated to English if written in other languages.

love(ao)

Star Member
Mar 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
SVO
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17th Nov 2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
22nd Dec 2015
Med's Request
14-12-2016
Med's Done....
up front(23-03-2015) remed(17-12-2016)
Interview........
5th December 2016
Passport Req..
18-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-05-2017
Hello guys,
I have a question. there is a question in IRCC web form of case specific inquiry " Did you submit a paper application to an office OUTSIDE of Canada?"
My wife is sponsoring me and my paper was submitted in Mississauga and my visa office is Singapore. My question is what my answer should be? yes or no?
any advice is hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Andynd1uk

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
29-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
10-09-2016
love(ao) said:
Hello guys,
I have a question. there is a question in IRCC web form of case specific inquiry " Did you submit a paper application to an office OUTSIDE of Canada?"
My wife is sponsoring me and my paper was submitted in Mississauga and my visa office is Singapore. My question is what my answer should be? yes or no?
any advice is hugely appreciated. Thank you.
You just answered your own question, your application was submitted to Mississauga. Relax, the questions on the IRCC aren't placed to trick you.

love(ao)

Star Member
Mar 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
SVO
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17th Nov 2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
22nd Dec 2015
Med's Request
14-12-2016
Med's Done....
up front(23-03-2015) remed(17-12-2016)
Interview........
5th December 2016
Passport Req..
18-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-05-2017
Andynd1uk said:
You just answered your own question, your application was submitted to Mississauga. Relax, the questions on the IRCC aren't placed to trick you.
Thank you for your response.

r2rlanes

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2016
Doc's Request.
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
20-09-2016 AOR2 ..........: 20-10-2016
File Transfer...
17-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront | Passed
Med's Done....
27-06-2016
Interview........
Not applicable
Passport Req..
23-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2017
LANDED..........
23-04-2017
canuck_in_uk said:
I suggest you pay the RPRF now to avoid any possible delays in IRCC having to request it and wait for it.
Hi, as you suggested we are paying $490CAD for RPRF, I just wanna ask where am I gonna send the $490 receipt? Should I send it to through postal mail like the application or email? Thank you for helping us out. :) :) :)

...no good news yet, sill waiting for CIC's update, SA please come in...:)