+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Pinkhead

Aug 21, 2016
MilesAway said:
Are you married? Have you lived together for 12 months or more? If yes, then you have no choice but to include your partner in the application. If you are not married or common-law, then you cannot include them in your application. You will be able to sponsor them later, provided you fall into one of the categories at the time.
Hi!

No we are not married, and for cultural reasons we cannot live together in our country until we are married. But we have been going out together for a very long time now. That's why I was thinking, if I get my PR, then he can come to Canada and we can get married, and I can sponsor him.
Is there any lapse of time, after I get my PR before I can sponsor him?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Pinkhead said:
That's why I was thinking, if I get my PR, then he can come to Canada and we can get married, and I can sponsor him.
Is there any lapse of time, after I get my PR before I can sponsor him?
There is no time lapse, only the time that it will take you sort out getting married and getting the application together.

bilabongster

Star Member
Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys

Need some help.

I will be sponsoring my spouse in sometime. But we are not sure which way to choose (inland or outland). The situation is complicated:

1. My spouse is a New Zealand Resident (not a PR or citizen - has a resident visa) , Indian Citizen.
2. Has Canada Temporary Resident visa (or tourist)
3. She could come to Canada temporarily and we can apply for outland sponsorship with New Zealand as the outland country, but having a resident visa would cause any trouble for the application to be made or is it ok? since she is not a NZ citizen or PR.
4. Or we could do an inland application, but she needs to be in NZ for a month, after a few months from now. As far as we understand, it could be an issue for inland applicant to go out and come back to Canada (not quite certain about this)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bilabongster said:
3. She could come to Canada temporarily and we can apply for outland sponsorship with New Zealand as the outland country, but having a resident visa would cause any trouble for the application to be made or is it ok? since she is not a NZ citizen or PR.

4. Or we could do an inland application, but she needs to be in NZ for a month, after a few months from now. As far as we understand, it could be an issue for inland applicant to go out and come back to Canada (not quite certain about this)
Hi

There is little chance of an outland app being processed through Sydney (the NZ visa office), especially if she is not even in NZ when she applies. The app will most lily be sent to NDVO.

It is not advised to apply inland when a person needs to leave Canada during the process.

love(ao)

Star Member
Mar 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
SVO
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17th Nov 2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
22nd Dec 2015
Med's Request
14-12-2016
Med's Done....
up front(23-03-2015) remed(17-12-2016)
Interview........
5th December 2016
Passport Req..
18-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-05-2017
hello everyone,

I have a query. My wife's who is my sponsor, her contact number has been changed, now my question is Can i update her contact number through case specific inquiry? If i update it through case specific how long they will take to reply me? Any advice is hugely appreciated. Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
love(ao) said:
I have a query. My wife's who is my sponsor, her contact number has been changed, now my question is Can i update her contact number through case specific inquiry? If i update it through case specific how long they will take to reply me? Any advice is hugely appreciated. Thank you.
You don't need to update her phone number.

satbsi

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi / Warsraw WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2014
Nomination.....
14-02-2015
AOR Received.
26-03-2015
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Request
27-05-2015
Med's Done....
30-05-2015, Uploaded 03-06-2015, TLU 10-06-2015
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Hi, my GF is having visitor visa already, and we are planning to get married in India.
because she has visitor visa already so we are planning to travel together to Canada, me as PR and she as visitor.
And i am planning to apply Outland sponsorship while she is with me in Canada, and once passport request comes in, she will go back to India.
and wait for the PR to finalize.
Can anyone please suggest is there any risk in this approach?

Thanks,
Saby!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
satbsi said:
Hi, my GF is having visitor visa already, and we are planning to get married in India.
because she has visitor visa already so we are planning to travel together to Canada, me as PR and she as visitor.
And i am planning to apply Outland sponsorship while she is with me in Canada, and once passport request comes in, she will go back to India.
and wait for the PR to finalize.
Can anyone please suggest is there any risk in this approach?

Thanks,
Saby!
she doesn't have to go back to india to process her passport request. the only reason to go back to india for application purposes is if an interview is called, then the interview will be in her home country. once she's in canada as a visitor, she can apply to extend her stay while her application processes, and her passport request instructions will more than likely include instructions for how to submit the passport while in canada.

PandaChan

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 4, 2016
AOR Received.
July 21, 2016
File Transfer...
August 23, 2016
Med's Done....
June 1, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
PR approved Oct 14, 2016
LANDED..........
Nov 11, 2016
So my husband wanted me to ask a hypothetical question. (He's even more impatient then I am, lol).

We applied back in July for our Sponsorship, Outland. He currently lives in Tennessee.
I have already been Sponsor Approved and right now his PR application is in process. Eligibility is being reviewed and a background check is needed but has not been started.

He is wanting to know if in December (If he hasn't yet received COPR), he could 'move' here (basically just visit), for the remainder of the time while we wait for COPR.
But my concern is that doesn't he need to have a US address?

satbsi

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi / Warsraw WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2014
Nomination.....
14-02-2015
AOR Received.
26-03-2015
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Request
27-05-2015
Med's Done....
30-05-2015, Uploaded 03-06-2015, TLU 10-06-2015
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Hi CDNPR2014,

Thanks for the clarification, On her visitor visa she will not be married at that time, will this situation be an alarm to CIC?
Are you sure she can extend her visa and Passport request will have instructions for mailing from canada?

thanks,
Saby

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
PandaChan said:
So my husband wanted me to ask a hypothetical question. (He's even more impatient then I am, lol).

We applied back in July for our Sponsorship, Outland. He currently lives in Tennessee.
I have already been Sponsor Approved and right now his PR application is in process. Eligibility is being reviewed and a background check is needed but has not been started.

He is wanting to know if in December (If he hasn't yet received COPR), he could 'move' here (basically just visit), for the remainder of the time while we wait for COPR.
But my concern is that doesn't he need to have a US address?
yes, he can visit in december and stay until he is approved. he does not want to use the terms "moving" or "living" while talking to CBSA. He needs to understand, he can only "visit" until landed as a pr.

no, he does not need to have maintain a us address. it's perfectly acceptable for outland applicants to have a canadian address listed. he can be living anywhere in the world (or visiting canada) while his application processes. if he hasn't gotten his approval by the time he comes up to visit, he will want to change his address to wherever he is staying in canada so the approval paper will go to him where he is. the approval paper will be sent to the address listed in the application. having a canadian address will not affect the application process.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
satbsi said:
Hi CDNPR2014,

Thanks for the clarification, On her visitor visa she will not be married at that time, will this situation be an alarm to CIC?
Are you sure she can extend her visa and Passport request will have instructions for mailing from canada?

thanks,
Saby
her visitor visa has nothing to do with her pr application. if she received the visa before she was married, then that's when she got her visa.

i can't guarantee 100% the letter will have the instructions. what i can tell you is that many many many applicants are in canada while their application processes and the passport request letter currently includes instructions about what to do if you are currently in canada, and will be for 3 months from the date of the letter. what you are asking about is not unique at all. in fact, this is very common.

PandaChan

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 4, 2016
AOR Received.
July 21, 2016
File Transfer...
August 23, 2016
Med's Done....
June 1, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
PR approved Oct 14, 2016
LANDED..........
Nov 11, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
yes, he can visit in december and stay until he is approved. he does not want to use the terms "moving" or "living" while talking to CBSA. He needs to understand, he can only "visit" until landed as a pr.

no, he does not need to have maintain a us address. it's perfectly acceptable for outland applicants to have a canadian address listed. he can be living anywhere in the world (or visiting canada) while his application processes. if he hasn't gotten his approval by the time he comes up to visit, he will want to change his address to wherever he is staying in canada so the approval paper will go to him where he is. the approval paper will be sent to the address listed in the application. having a canadian address will not affect the application process.
Wow, thank you for the fast response!!
We've been considering it because we really want to be together for Christmas, but I was just worried that maybe it wouldn't work out that way.
I guess we have a bit of hope now. :)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
PandaChan said:
Wow, thank you for the fast response!!
We've been considering it because we really want to be together for Christmas, but I was just worried that maybe it wouldn't work out that way.
I guess we have a bit of hope now. :)
many pr applicants visit canada and stay with their spouses for their entire application process. there is absolutely no issue with this. the important thing is the applicant wants to be prepared to show "ties" to their home country, proof their application is submitted, and as stated above never use the words "moving" or "living" when entering as a visitor. CBSA may not even question him, and he may just breeze through as normal. having the information listed above is good for "back up" in case he gets a moody officer.

PandaChan

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 4, 2016
AOR Received.
July 21, 2016
File Transfer...
August 23, 2016
Med's Done....
June 1, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
PR approved Oct 14, 2016
LANDED..........
Nov 11, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
many pr applicants visit canada and stay with their spouses for their entire application process. there is absolutely no issue with this. the important thing is the applicant wants to be prepared to show "ties" to their home country, proof their application is submitted, and as stated above never use the words "moving" or "living" when entering as a visitor. CBSA may not even question him, and he may just breeze through as normal. having the information listed above is good for "back up" in case he gets a moody officer.
Alright, we will keep this in mind. Thank you for all the info!