sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
CanNZ said:
We actually sent 6 boxes of clothes before this too. So all that plus having to pay for these boxes to be x rayed in Canada, our total shipping costs will be around 3 mil. won.
What has to be xrayed?

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
CanNZ said:
Today is shipping day. The company is here packing up our stuff, we ended choosing the 3 cubic metres option, which is going to end up being about 6 cubic metres. The cost for us is going to be about 2 million won. But it is worth it, just to see a guy in a 3 piece business suit packing up my stuff.
What company did you use? How did they pack everything? thx

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
The company is 'Sebang shipping Co.ltd.' that packed everything very well, but I wouldn't say my wife was 100% satisfied with them either. Mainly due to the price being more than she expected.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
bartjones said:
Back in Canada now so I thought I'd let people know how things went with CBSA when we arrived. I told the CBSA agent that I was a Canadian returning to Canada after living in Korea and that I had goods that would be arriving after me. I also told him that my wife had a PR application pending. I asked him if he wanted the appplication file number but he wasn't interested. He just asked when we had filed the application and then asked to see her return ticket. After looking at her return ticket he proceeded to give us what seemed to be a well rehearsed speech about how she would only be getting a visitor's visa and the importance of understanding that if her PR application was not complete by the time that visa expired, she would either have to apply to extend the visa or go back to Korea. That was it as far as the PR issue went.

He asked me what portion of the goods I was returning with had been purchased in the past six months. That question kind of threw me as I wasn't expecting it. When I hummed and hawwed about that number he said "just tell me it was less than $800", so I told him that yes, it was less than that.

I was then directed to go to the secondary inspection area where they asked to see the list of items that would be arriving by ship later. The movers had prepared an itemized list for us which described each box they had packed and its contents. I gave that to the agent who then asked me to write an approximate value for the contents of each box. She said a best guess was fine and there was no need to be very meticulous about the numbers. Once I had done that they took the list into an office, completed that B4 form and asked me to sign it. They gave me a copy and told me to bring that to the port when my goods arrived. The whole process took about 45 minutes and was pretty painless. I think the moral of the story is to be sure your movers provide you with that itemized list. Without that you'll have a lot of trouble.

If you're bringing a dog with you, as we were, be sure to have a rabies vaccination certificate from your vet. If you do the process is also very simple.
Bartjones

I realize it is too late for this now, but how many of the items you had shipped were your wife's? Just wondering what CBSA thought about that. My wife does have a return ticket and she actually most likely will be using it as her parents are moving into a new apartment at that time and she is going to be heading back to help them move.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
CanNZ said:
Bartjones

I realize it is too late for this now, but how many of the items you had shipped were your wife's? Just wondering what CBSA thought about that. My wife does have a return ticket and she actually most likely will be using it as her parents are moving into a new apartment at that time and she is going to be heading back to help them move.
I would say it was about two thirds her stuff. No one at CBSA asked who owned the goods we were bringing in later.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
That's good, I am in the same position that way.

CanAsian

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
I just got my Sponsorship Approval by email. It only took 14 days so I'm hoping the next part is quick as well.

For those wondering about sending in OPTION C. I didn't send one in with my application because I haven't filed taxes in Canada for so many years. I own a hagwon so I just sent in a letter explaining the reason I don't have an option C printout and I run my own business and I give myself XXXX salary a month. I also sent in a copy of my business license in Korean and a translated one I did myself with no notarization.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
CanAsian said:
I just got my Sponsorship Approval by email. It only took 14 days so I'm hoping the next part is quick as well.

For those wondering about sending in OPTION C. I didn't send one in with my application because I haven't filed taxes in Canada for so many years. I own a hagwon so I just sent in a letter explaining the reason I don't have an option C printout and I run my own business and I give myself XXXX salary a month. I also sent in a copy of my business license in Korean and a translated one I did myself with no notarization.
14 days! That's fast! Hogwon owners get priority processing? :)

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
Well, I would not recommend the moving company we used, there were 9 spelling mistakes on the shipping list and what the hell is "frops?"

CanAsian

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
That's too bad. I've heard good things about Hyundai shipping. Anyone else have any reviews about them?

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
We are canceling our contract with this company and using a new one. Sounds like they are willing to go to the other company and pick up our packages from them. Right now we are arguing over the cancellation fee.

CanAsian

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
CanNZ,
hopefully everything goes smooth with your shipping.

seoulcanada

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Hi, my wife is planning to come to Canada in Dec on a visitors visa. Our sponsorship app will probably be sent out early Jan. I have two questions:

1. Once she is in Canada, we want to go to the USA for a two month vacation. She is worried that if she goes to the US, she will be denied entry back into Canada on another visitors visa. I think there isn't anything wrong with what we are doing....she can get visitor visas in both countries....however, she says that she has read/heard that travelling to the states is dangerous on a Canadian visitor visa because many people have been denied entry back into Canada and refused a new visitors visa. I asked for the reason and she isn't sure.

Can someone tell me if this is true? What would the reason be? Maybe that you can't have two visitor visas issued in a short period of time? Maybe they think the person is trying to live in Canada and just exit and enter to get a new visa? My gf has previously been living in Canada for two years on a student visa, then a working visa, then another student visa. Then she went back to Korea for a few months.

2. Let's ignore the vacation in 1 and pretend we never went anywhere. If she is in Canada on a visitors visa and I submit my application to sponsor her, can someone please explain (like I'm 5 years old) what we can do to allow her to stay until we receive a decision? I've heard of TRV and extended TRV but I'm unsure how it actually works. Please explain like I'm 5!

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
seoulcanada said:
1. Once she is in Canada, we want to go to the USA for a two month vacation. She is worried that if she goes to the US, she will be denied entry back into Canada on another visitors visa. I think there isn't anything wrong with what we are doing....she can get visitor visas in both countries....however, she says that she has read/heard that travelling to the states is dangerous on a Canadian visitor visa because many people have been denied entry back into Canada and refused a new visitors visa. I asked for the reason and she isn't sure.
My wife was here on a study permit and we traveled to the USA and back twice with no issues. Sorry though I'm not sure if any potential issues with just visitor status, but I imagine it's pretty common for people visiting Canada to include USA on their travel itinerary.

My gf has previously been living in Canada for two years on a student visa, then a working visa, then another student visa. Then she went back to Korea for a few months.
I would be extra cautious when she tries to come here in Dec for a new visitors status. A good friend of mine (Korean citizen) was staying in Canada on various work, study and visitor permits for around 3-4 years. They went back to Korea for a short trip, and when trying to re-enter Canada with a new study permit (for an ESL school) got denied entry. Immigration said they were basically just trying to live in Canada by any means possible, so had to return back to Korea the next day and are barred from entering Canada for a year. Apparently they are much more suspicious of people that have been here on multiple study permits for just an ESL school, and are way more easier/lenient if it's for an actual college/university level study permit.

Not saying this will happen with your wife, but I would bring extra evidence to make sure. Immigration will see a study, work, study, and now visitor status being asked for... so there is potential for an issue. Make sure she has a return airplane ticket dated for less than 6 months later, and bring any other proof that shows ties to Korea (like bank statement).

2. Let's ignore the vacation in 1 and pretend we never went anywhere. If she is in Canada on a visitors visa and I submit my application to sponsor her, can someone please explain (like I'm 5 years old) what we can do to allow her to stay until we receive a decision? I've heard of TRV and extended TRV but I'm unsure how it actually works. Please explain like I'm 5!
The only sure way is to apply inland. If your submit an inland PR app along with OWP app while your wife is in Canada, she gets implied visitor status and can remain in Canada during the entire processing time. The bad part is that for inland that means around 11 months for stage 1 (at which point you get an open work permit) and 8 more months for stage 2... so 19 months total that she should stay only in Canada and not leave for any reason.

If you apply outland through Manila office, she needs to maintain her visitor status separate from the PR app. Typically you get 6 months on a visit, and get a fresh 6 months either by exiting/re-entering Canada, or by applying to extend your visitor status. Extension of visitor status is never guaranteed, so if for any reason it was denied then she would need to return to Korea to wait out the processing. Some people simply tell CIC that they have an outland application in process and show proof of this, and just say they want to remain in Canada until it's approved.... and are accepted no problem for the extension.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
seoulcanada said:
Hi, my wife is planning to come to Canada in Dec on a visitors visa. Our sponsorship app will probably be sent out early Jan. I have two questions:

Can someone tell me if this is true? What would the reason be? Maybe that you can't have two visitor visas issued in a short period of time? Maybe they think the person is trying to live in Canada and just exit and enter to get a new visa? My gf has previously been living in Canada for two years on a student visa, then a working visa, then another student visa. Then she went back to Korea for a few months.
Anytime she enters Canada or the US, it is up to the particular border agent as to whether they will issue her a visitor's visa. Personally, I have brought my wife to Canada and made a side trip to Michigan (where she has family) on two occasions in the past (2005 and 2008). We had no problem entering the US and no problem re-entering Canada a few days later. I'm not sure what your wife is concerned about. As I said, it's always up to the individual border control agent, but I've never heard of a policy where they refuse entry to Koreans returning from a short trip to the US.

I agree with Rob. An outland application will be faster. She can enter Canada and obtain the usual 6 month visitor's visa. When you arrive, tell the CBSA agent that she has a pending PR application and bring the file number or letter from CIC approving your sponsorship if you have it at that point. Be sure to emphasize that she is only "visiting" (not moving here) and ready to return to Korea if necessary at the end of the 6 month visa period. Make sure she has a return ticket within that 6 month period. A month or two before her visitor's visa expires, you can submit an application to extend her visitor's visa. You can read about how to do it here;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

Assuming she is otherwise admissible, you guys have a place to live and the means to support her financially, the extension will probably be granted.

I went through the extension process with my Korean wife recently. It took about three months to process the extension application and they extended her visitor's visa for an additional year. Hope that helps.