+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sign petition: New Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: New Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination against foreign workers/students

ou excluded PNP applicants but,
PNP does not grant PR. Immigration (visas, PR, citizenship) is a federal matter. And my numbers are from CIC (federal institution).

nonetheless my point was Canada would issue tourist/visitor visas if it didn't need workers be it skilled/low-skilled.
Of course it is interested in immigration in first place. But we were talking about taxes. That's why I said that not much taxes paid by low-skilled workers and that Canada is not interested in highly qualified immigrants. Canada has its own Canada-born educated people. And the goal of immigration is the next generation, more educated then their parents (in case of low skilled first generation) , integrated into Canadian life. At the moment Canada fills low skilled positions with immigrants. That's why emphases of immigration is on everybody less qualified.

And yes, also on young students. That's why there are 12 000 students getting PR through CEC and PNP, more than FSW and FST together. Reason is the same, young educated people integrate faster.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
Re: New Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination against foreign workers/students

Regina said:
PNP does not grant PR. Immigration (visas, PR, citizenship) is a federal matter. And my numbers are from CIC (federal institution).
Of course it is interested in immigration in first place. But we were talking about taxes. That's why I said that not much taxes paid by low-skilled workers and that Canada is not interested in highly qualified immigrants. Canada has its own Canada-born educated people. And the goal of immigration is the next generation, more educated then their parents (in case of low skilled first generation) , integrated into Canadian life. At the moment Canada fills low skilled positions with immigrants. That's why emphases of immigration is on everybody less qualified.

And yes, also on young students. That's why there are 12 000 students getting PR through CEC and PNP, more than FSW and FSW together. Reason is the same, young educated people integrate faster.
People get PR through PNP just like they do by applying under CEC and other programs. And, don't forget there are investor programs too, where applicants may be less educated but still qualify coz of their total income worth. There is no guarantee that the next generation will be more educated than their low skilled parents (would be great, but, only time will tell).

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Regina said:

And yes, also on young students. That's why there are 12 000 students getting PR through CEC and PNP, more than FSW and FST together. Reason is the same, young educated people integrate faster.
It's you who is wrong here.
1) PNP does make the selection and federal (CIC) only process the file in matters of medical/security and admissibility reviews. So, in short PNP (provincial) in fact grants you your PR eligibility
2) 12,000 admitted under CEC are mostly skilled workers and NOT students. First, large percentage are TFW (temporary foreign workers) who arrived to work in Canada under work permit. Although some of the "skilled" professions can be argued, a significant percentage is employed at high skilled jobs. Secondly, to remind you, a student cannot apply under CEC without having one year of SKILLED work experience under NOC0,A or B. So in fact, even those who finished the studies are in fact can be counted as skilled workers.
3) There is no such thing as low skilled immigrants don't pay much tax. They pay tax. Period. And that's what counts.
You can agree to the bill or oppose it, it's your right. But at least stop saying nonsense which borders with hate speech on right and left. People like you remind me one old saying that slaves hate each other more than their hate their masters.
And getting back to the original topic, this post was about the below petition and I would appreciate anyone who agrees to sign it and share their stories in comments. Thanks in advance:
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/senate-of-canada-house-of-commons-mp-s-do-not-allow-the-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-the-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

maximin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
What is the percentage of people who got their PR through studies and work in Canada among of those PRs who did not meet their RO recently? (As I can see at least from this forum it is close to zero.)

What is the percentage of people who got their PR through studies and work in Canada but it turned out to be a fraud?

I would be glad to see the logic, i.e. figures, behind the changes discussed in this thread.
Simply speaking, it was reasonable before, what changed?

@ cute_guy, I believe Regina is a female name.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maximin said:
What is the percentage of people who got their PR through studies and work in Canada among of those PRs who did not meet their RO recently? (As I can see at least from this forum it is close to zero.)

What is the percentage of people who got their PR through studies and work in Canada but it turned out to be a fraud?

I would be glad to see the logic, i.e. figures, behind the changes discussed in this thread.
Simply speaking, it was reasonable before, what changed?

@ cute_guy, I believe Regina is a female name.
There is no reasoning behind it,in fact it is contrary to Minister's own sayings about the value of Canadian citizenship and demand of strengthening ties to Canada.
1. Temporary residents have the most ties to Canada among other immigrant populations.
2. Former temporary residents have been in Canada for long time before gaining PR, establishing social and economic ties, paying taxes and etc.
3. There is no relation whatsoever between time counted of pre-PR residency and immigration fraud.

Nevertheless, only one group of recent immigrants is going to be hit x2 by the new amendments to Canadian Citizenship Act. Don't let Canadian government make the years we spent in Canada don't count. Please take a read and sign, we have reached almost 200 signatures in the first 18h, please spread the word, link and posts on Social media to help drive a change to the unfair Bill:

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/senate-of-canada-house-of-commons-mp-s-do-not-allow-the-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-the-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

Ambitious15

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sashali78 said:
It's you who is wrong here.
1) PNP does make the selection and federal (CIC) only process the file in matters of medical/security and admissibility reviews. So, in short PNP (provincial) in fact grants you your PR eligibility
2) 12,000 admitted under CEC are mostly skilled workers and NOT students. First, large percentage are TFW (temporary foreign workers) who arrived to work in Canada under work permit. Although some of the "skilled" professions can be argued, a significant percentage is employed at high skilled jobs. Secondly, to remind you, a student cannot apply under CEC without having one year of SKILLED work experience under NOC0,A or B. So in fact, even those who finished the studies are in fact can be counted as skilled workers.
3) There is no such thing as low skilled immigrants don't pay much tax. They pay tax. Period. And that's what counts.
You can agree to the bill or oppose it, it's your right. But at least stop saying nonsense which borders with hate speech on right and left. People like you remind me one old saying that slaves hate each other more than their hate their masters.
And getting back to the original topic, this post was about the below petition and I would appreciate anyone who agrees to sign it and share their stories in comments. Thanks in advance:
Thank you, you really know what to say.
and for me, it's my right to oppose and sign the petition, I mean, WHY I AM SUFFERING ALL THIESE YEARS IN MY COUNTRY AND THEN TAKE THE RISK WITH ALL MY MONEY IN A STUDYING PROJECT I DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL SUCCESS OR NOT, WHILE DREAMING TO BECOME A CITIZEN OF CANADA AFTER ALL THIS "LOST YEARS" IT COMES OUT WITH SUCH NEW RULES.

Feb 9, 2014
Hello Alex

I am sorry that your petition left out Refugees.
The Canadian Council For Refugees, CCR is encouraging members and others to:

- take rapid action to respond to the bill (e.g. by having your organization take a position and talking to community organizations and media).
- give us feedback on the talking points below. Tell us what arguments (ours and government’s) are working with different communities so we can take that into account in messaging.
- find spokespersons not identified with our sector to speak out.
This is number 1 of the taking points on the citizenship bill by CCR:
(4 years of last 6 years, compared to current 3 of last 4 years. Also applicants can no longer count time in Canada before becoming a permanent resident – this will affect e.g. refugees, Temporary Foreign Workers, students)

· Making people wait longer undermines efforts to integrate newcomers. Immigrants will have to wait longer before being able to participate fully in Canadian society and enjoying all rights of full membership. This weakens Canadian society.

· Becoming a citizen is particularly important for refugees who have no other country they can turn to. Until they are citizens, they have a sense of insecurity and face practical problems, such as difficulty travelling without a passport.

· Canada has a legal obligation under the Refugee Convention to speed up access to citizenship – the proposed increase in waiting period would contradict this obligation.

o “The Contracting States shall as far as possible facilitate the assimilation and naturalization of refugees. They shall in particular make every effort to expedite naturalization proceedings and to reduce as far as possible the charges and costs of such proceedings.” Article 34, Convention relating to the status of Refugees

· The commitment to speed up processing is welcome but cannot justify increasing the time required by law for a person to be in Canada.

· The required period of residence has been 3 years for over 30 years. Extending the time required now would send a unwelcoming message towards newcomers – that Canada does not appreciate their contributions and is not sure whether to accept them fully.

· Canada as a whole benefits from our new citizens who contribute economically, socially and culturally. They help us forge social and business ties internationally. We all lose if newcomers are forced to wait longer before they can represent us (and maybe win a Gold Medal!)

· Eliminating any consideration of the time spent in Canada before becoming a permanent resident contradicts the stated goal of ensuring that applicants spend enough time in Canada to know the country. It will lengthen the time that many refugees have to wait before becoming citizens.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inmigrationrefugees said:
Hello Alex

I am sorry that your petition left out Refugees.
The Canadian Council For Refugees, CCR is encouraging members and others to:

- take rapid action to respond to the bill (e.g. by having your organization take a position and talking to community organizations and media).
- give us feedback on the talking points below. Tell us what arguments (ours and government's) are working with different communities so we can take that into account in messaging.
- find spokespersons not identified with our sector to speak out.
This is number 1 of the taking points on the citizenship bill by CCR:
(4 years of last 6 years, compared to current 3 of last 4 years. Also applicants can no longer count time in Canada before becoming a permanent resident – this will affect e.g. refugees, Temporary Foreign Workers, students)

· Making people wait longer undermines efforts to integrate newcomers. Immigrants will have to wait longer before being able to participate fully in Canadian society and enjoying all rights of full membership. This weakens Canadian society.

· Becoming a citizen is particularly important for refugees who have no other country they can turn to. Until they are citizens, they have a sense of insecurity and face practical problems, such as difficulty travelling without a passport.

· Canada has a legal obligation under the Refugee Convention to speed up access to citizenship – the proposed increase in waiting period would contradict this obligation.

o “The Contracting States shall as far as possible facilitate the assimilation and naturalization of refugees. They shall in particular make every effort to expedite naturalization proceedings and to reduce as far as possible the charges and costs of such proceedings.” Article 34, Convention relating to the status of Refugees

· The commitment to speed up processing is welcome but cannot justify increasing the time required by law for a person to be in Canada.

· The required period of residence has been 3 years for over 30 years. Extending the time required now would send a unwelcoming message towards newcomers – that Canada does not appreciate their contributions and is not sure whether to accept them fully.

· Canada as a whole benefits from our new citizens who contribute economically, socially and culturally. They help us forge social and business ties internationally. We all lose if newcomers are forced to wait longer before they can represent us (and maybe win a Gold Medal!)

· Eliminating any consideration of the time spent in Canada before becoming a permanent resident contradicts the stated goal of ensuring that applicants spend enough time in Canada to know the country. It will lengthen the time that many refugees have to wait before becoming citizens.
I understand your points and concerns but I started this petition for the sake of temporary workers and students and cannot make any significant changes to support your cause as it will be unfair to those who already signed the petition. However, if temporary residence calculation will be changed following the petition and further actions we are taking , it is very likely that your group will also benefit from those changes, therefore I want to encourage you to spread and sign the petition also among your supporters. Thank you,
Alex

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for the support! We have reached over 800 signatures over the last 36 hours. Our next goal is 5000 signatures. Soon will be the time for next steps in our fight, all signers will be notified soon, please stay tuned.

saugeen

Nov 28, 2011
Thank you Alex,
I logged in after two years, to support the idea of petittion.
I hope it gonna be effective, this should go through MPs for sure.
Everyone can also contact with effective news agancy in Canada (CBC, CTV, SUN,..) and tell his side of story and reasining why this new law is not the best move by the government.

saugeen

Nov 28, 2011
I think that a large group of Canadians support longer process. Read the link posted by TorontoSun on Feb 6th(sorry I have problem with sending link)
almost %76 of voters are for the change. I belive this is due to the horrible job situation in canada and also lack of new immigrants attendance in Canadian media.

saugeen

Nov 28, 2011
Please sign the petittion, go to news links vote and tell your idea about the new bill.
I belive the situation going to be tougher for new PR applicants specially PhD stream and skilled worker categories.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saugeen said:
Please sign the petittion, go to news links vote and tell your idea about the new bill.
I belive the situation going to be tougher for new PR applicants specially PhD stream and skilled worker categories.
Thank you for the support. We have reached over 1700 votes by now. the major problem is the amendment for temporary residence elimination was not made too much into the news and is kept as a quiet "surprise" away from the eyes of the majority. Our petition target is to change that, as well, we have a clear plan to contact multiple MP's and ask for discussion in the House of Commons.
Please help by signing and volunteering at :
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canada-parliament-do-not-allow-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

Volunteers to contact MP's and Media , please send email to : FightTheBillC24@yahoo.ca

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
sashali78 said:
Thank you for the support. We have reached over 1700 votes by now. the major problem is the amendment for temporary residence elimination was not made too much into the news and is kept as a quiet "surprise" away from the eyes of the majority.
Actually, there was plenty of news coverage and it was covered in all the major newspapers and Internet media outlets. I think you meant to say that there wasn't an uproar or backlash from the general public, and I think that's because most of the public (including members of the opposition in Parliament) were quite supportive of the content of the bill.

Migrain

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
AOR Received.
23-01-2013

guri3577 said:
By the way, I am an international student as well and would have been eligible to apply in another 2 years but honestly after taking everything into consideration, it really doesn't matter if I have to wait 2 more years. I can work as much as I want, travel, get benefits, and what not as a PR.
Well, not all jobs would be open to you as a PR. Some jobs (especially many in government) require that, for security reasons, a person have citizenship.