+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sign petition: New Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: New Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination against foreign workers/students

guri3577 said:
Consider the present rules, a person needs 3 years out of 4 with no physical presence every year requirement.
Wrong!

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: New Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination against foreign workers/students

guri3577 said:
By the way, I am an international student as well and would have been eligible to apply in another 2 years but honestly after taking everything into consideration, it really doesn't matter if I have to wait 2 more years. I can work as much as I want, travel, get benefits, and what not.
Exactly! I am in the first of my three year program as an international student.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014

itstime said:
Can you elaborate?

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

@ itstime - you are wrong in so many aspects that I really don't have time to explain you each one in particular. I wish you that by end of your studies you will have a better understanding of life and politics.

@ guri3577 - you first have to become a PR and only then you can apply for citizenship. You can apply for PR after finishing your studies and working in Canada for one year (under the current rules). 2 years after receiving your PR , you would be able to apply for citizenship. Under the proposed changes this will go to 4. By the time you finish your studies you will get a feel for the difference between 2 and 4 years.

For all the rest, the petition is here, please read carefully and sign whoever agrees with it. Thank you in advance: https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/senate-of-canada-house-of-commons-mp-s-do-not-allow-the-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-the-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-02-2014

sashali78 said:
@ itstime - you are wrong in so many aspects that I really don't have time to explain you each one in particular. I wish you that by end of your studies you will have a better understanding of life and politics.

@ guri3577 - you first have to become a PR and only then you can apply for citizenship. You can apply for PR after finishing your studies and working in Canada for one year (under the current rules). 2 years after receiving your PR , you would be able to apply for citizenship. Under the proposed changes this will go to 4. By the time you finish your studies you will get a feel for the difference between 2 and 4 years.

For all the rest, the petition is here, please read carefully and sign whoever agrees with it. Thank you in advance: https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/senate-of-canada-house-of-commons-mp-s-do-not-allow-the-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-the-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
I have already been approved for PR and just waiting for my landing date to officially become PR. So, if these rules come in effect I will be eligible for citizenship around March 2018 which is perfectly fine with me. Consider this, if the processing times do go down to 1 year compared to 2-3 years now, its a good situation.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

guri3577 said:
I have already been approved for PR and just waiting for my landing date to officially become PR. So, if these rules come in effect I will be eligible for citizenship around March 2018 which is perfectly fine with me. Consider this, if the processing times do go down to 1 year compared to 2-3 years now, its a good situation.
Yeah, I said that too.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

sashali78 said:
Really? How so? You asked me to answer, I did. Now time for you to explain to me what was wrong. Point by point and please quote my post so I don't have to flip back and forth between pages.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

guri3577 said:
Consider the present rules, a person needs 3 years out of 4 with no physical presence every year requirement.
I was asked to explain why the above is wrong.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

Read this link and pay attention to the paragraph headlined Time you have resided in Canada

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Right now, the requirement is for 3 years residency while 1 of those years CAN be accumulated under TEMPORARY status (study, work permits, etc).
I knew that and understood you right away.

But what I do not understand why students and temporary workers should be PRIVILEGED? What's wrong with you guys?! :eek:
Get your PR .
Live in country, AS ANY OTHER PR, for 4 years of 6,
Apply for citizenship.

What is your problem? I have second thoughts about your will to actually LIVE in Canada and not just get its citizenship as soon as possible and leave for home country, never look back. ;)
There are only a couple of differences between PR status and citizenship.
I know a lot of people who have been living in Canada for 20+ years without citizenship , only with PR status .

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-02-2014

itstime said:
I was asked to explain why the above is wrong.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

Read this link and pay attention to the paragraph headlined Time you have resided in Canada
Seems like you misinterpreted my post, I meant there is no requirement at the moment to be physically present every year before being eligible for citizenship. For instance, out of the four years you can be out of the country for one year and live the next three and be eligible. But, under the proposed changes one would have to spend at least 183 days(6 months) every year in Canada to be eligible.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-02-2014

Regina said:

But what I do not understand why students and temporary workers should be PRIVILEGED? What's wrong with you guys?! :eek:
Get you PR .
Apply for citizenship.

What is your problem? I have second thoughts about your will to actually LIVE in Canada and not just get its citizenship as soon as possible and leave for home country, never look back. ;)
I know a lot of people who have been living in Canada for 20+ years without citizenship , only with PR status .
Exactly,people seem to be making a big deal of it.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

For instance, out of the four years you can be out of the country for one year and live the next three and be eligible. But, under the proposed changes one would have to spend at least 183 days(6 months) every year in Canada to be eligible
And? What kind of a problem is it for a genuine PR?

Believe me if PR in Canada has to work to support himself and his family he IS NOT ABLE to live 183 days out of a year abroad. ;)
And if some rich guy can live without working 183 days of a year , or all 365 days, why the heck I should be worried about his citizenship? :eek: ;D

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-02-2014

Regina said:
And? What kind of a problem is it for a genuine PR?

Believe me if PR in Canada has to work to support himself and his family he IS NOT ABLE to live 183 days out of a year abroad. ;)
And if some rich guy can live without working 183days of year , why the heck I should be worried about his citizenship? :eek: ;D
Agreed, not to mention it is going to help the economy with more people paying taxes.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

guri3577 said:
Seems like you misinterpreted my post, I meant there is no requirement at the moment to be physically present every year before being eligible for citizenship. For instance, out of the four years you can be out of the country for one year and live the next three and be eligible. But, under the proposed changes one would have to spend at least 183 days(6 months) every year in Canada to be eligible.
You said:

[quote author=guri3577]
[/quote]

Have you worked out how many years 1095 days are? Almost exactly 3 years. From the date of application you have to prove that you were in Canada for a full 1095 days. The thing is, as soon as you reach a new year, the oldest year drops off and is not countable. It is very easy to lose days and lose eligibility.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Regina said:

Get you PR .
Apply for citizenship.

8)

Still have to wait to hit the kharma button. Damn.