+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regulations Changed September 30, 2010

smrty

Oct 2, 2010
when i got married 5 years ago immigration was the last thing on my mind --
but now with kids -- it is important for them to be in canada and have all of the access to the opportunities that i had growing up...
which is why we waited -- 5 years to file --- we've been living together 5+years though ---
would this be considered fishy?

could they deny us bc we took too long to file?

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
smrty said:
when i got married 5 years ago immigration was the last thing on my mind --
but now with kids -- it is important for them to be in canada and have all of the access to the opportunities that i had growing up...
which is why we waited -- 5 years to file --- we've been living together 5+years though ---
would this be considered fishy?

could they deny us bc we took too long to file?
It won't. I think it applies only to couples who are away from each other due to immigration barriers.

AngelB

May 13, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 7th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 26th 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov 11th 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 23rd 2010
LANDED..........
Nov 26th 2010
bonbon9 said:
It won't. I think it applies only to couples who are away from each other due to immigration barriers.
What do you mean by that? Aren't all couples away from each other due to immigration barriers?

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
AngelB said:
What do you mean by that? Aren't all couples away from each other due to immigration barriers?
No, many couples live together overseas. What he means (if it's okay for me to presume) is that a couple who is kept apart due to immigration barriers (such as my husband and I - him living in Nigeria, me in Canada with children who could not leave), applying for sponsorship 5 years after getting married would look fishy. Why would we have willingly spent 5 years apart if it is a genuine and loving marriage?

For those living together overseas, it doesn't matter if they apply a month, a year or a decade after marrying, because they have been together, and only apply when they want to move to Canada together.

AngelB

May 13, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 7th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 26th 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov 11th 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 23rd 2010
LANDED..........
Nov 26th 2010
bobshynoswife said:
No, many couples live together overseas. What he means (if it's okay for me to presume) is that a couple who is kept apart due to immigration barriers (such as my husband and I - him living in Nigeria, me in Canada with children who could not leave), applying for sponsorship 5 years after getting married would look fishy. Why would we have willingly spent 5 years apart if it is a genuine and loving marriage?

For those living together overseas, it doesn't matter if they apply a month, a year or a decade after marrying, because they have been together, and only apply when they want to move to Canada together.
Okay. I understand. Thank you very much. :)

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
bonbon9 said:
I understand speeding up your marriage can be due to immigration reasons. But deciding to get married due to immigration reasons in first place... that is a different story.

Please do not feed the troll.

Hee hee :p :)
lol!

Allison777

Oct 2, 2010
Im now worried as well, My fiance which we will be married this year in nov working visa expired in Dec. Im scared that we are going to get denied because of our wedding date being so close to his working visa expiry

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
Allison777 said:
Im now worried as well, My fiance which we will be married this year in nov working visa expired in Dec. Im scared that we are going to get denied because of our wedding date being so close to his working visa expiry

I think that if you show evidence it was being planned well before his visa has expired then you shouldn't have any problems. Do you have receipts for your dress, the location, etc? When did you send out invitations? Weddings can take some time to plan which is probably why its in november and not tomorrow, right? Just write a letter explaining that you are super in love, but wanted to do the wedding properly and so it takes a while to plan and I'm sure CIC will understand.

BostonGirl

Star Member
May 9, 2010
Boston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wonder if the officers will take into acount the country you come from.
I know there are many places in the world where folks try to move to more prosperous nations.
As a natural born American I have seen this. Folks try to come here all the time and it is a huge problem.

But I never thought i'd leave America, I love it here.
I have never heard of an American scamming their way into Canada!
I wonder what they will think about folks from countries similar to Canada, folks who just happened to find
their soulmates.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
BostonGirl said:
I wonder if the officers will take into acount the country you come from.
I know there are many places in the world where folks try to move to more prosperous nations.
As a natural born American I have seen this. Folks try to come here all the time and it is a huge problem.

But I never thought i'd leave America, I love it here.
I have never heard of an American scamming their way into Canada!
I wonder what they will think about folks from countries similar to Canada, folks who just happened to find
their soulmates.
They already do. But this won't have any effect nor change in the way new applications will be affected/considered with the new regulation.

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
rjessome said:
IMHO, the real impact will be felt in arranged marriages and internet relationships that have very little "face time" prior to marriage. Conjugal applications will be THAT much harder to be accepted. But I think common law couples and marriages where the parties live together (or have lived together) will be processed the same, with little impact felt.
This is exactly the point I am concerned about. I have traveled to meet him but a subsequent holiday this year could not happen because of medical complications on my end.

I am a single Mum and he works as much as he can and has a steady part time job but both of us have limited funds, as well my work will not let me travel when I please to see him. I cannot take my daughter because her father will not let her travel. My fiance cannot get a visitor visa because they would think he would not return. So how else can we have a relationship other than online??

I have known him for 2 years and we meet daily to talk. I have contact with a couple of his sisters online and he has spoken with my mum and daughter numerous times on msn video call (this is the only family I have). He also occasionally corresponds with a couple of my friends but him being notoriously private it is very limited.
I stayed with 3 of his sisters while visiting him and the extended family knows about the relationship and His Mum loves me.

How do I know he is the right one...it's not something I can explain. I love him and I know he loves me. If I could go stay with him for an extended time to prove this I would in a heart beat but I cannot and he cannot come here for a visit to also provide more proof. So tell me how we are supposed to have face to face time when all these issues prevent us. I would love to know how immigration would like us to deal with this.

We simply love each other and want to be together and in our circumstances that means it has to be here. It almost feels like we are being punished for falling in love :'(

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
I am still, many months later, trying to find time to enhance my conjugal partner application because several people here told me that it wouldn't succeed unless it was perfect. Several people also said we ought to elope and have a city hall wedding without the knowledge of any of our family members.

What I take from this discussion of the new regulations is that having such a wedding would probably disqualify us. While we might get married at some date in the future, having our wedding now would only be to have the documentation for the immigration application. If we did it later, we could properly prepare our families with the reality of our homosexuality and then invite them to a "proper" wedding. An comments on this?

We are close to two years in an "official" conjugal relationship (from the date we picked at a certain milestone in our developing relationship) and I don't see how a marriage certificate would make us more committed.

Black-Berry

Jul 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville And Nanaimo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/01/10
Doc's Request.
27/07/10
File Transfer...
20/10/10
Interview........
November 29th, 2010
LANDED..........
March 29th, 2011
Just wanted to add my 00.02$ .
the thing is how much evidence can you give?.Even some marriages of convenience can give a boatful of evidence if they plan it!. really.. to me i dont think its hard for anyone to do this. I dont think they just go with the amount of evidence alone.
All relationships are different!. My hubby and i rarely take pictures together!. we have very few pictures together but we are so much in love. thats because we have three children, we are a very busy household. If we go anywhere the children come with us because we cant stand leaving tem behind. We have had our kids in all the time we have dated !. i was pregnant when we knew each other for 5 months and showing. we had sex on our first meeting(Yes i know ha! secrets out!) we had his 7 year old daughter at the time loving me up and living with us so she came everywhere with us. we rarely have time alone because thats just the way it has been!. In all our pictures its either me and the kids or him and the kids!.few of just us!. So yh!. there yah go!.
BUT we are madly in love with each other. we have been married for 8 years and i say the only evidence is household bills, bank statements etc.
My point is... every relationship is different not everyone shows their love by giving gifts.. having lavish weddings...three hour a day phone conversations... endless emails.. and the whole nine yards. i think if a couple feels forced to do these things just to prove to an IO that they r in a genuine relationship and its not them isnt that fake??.
For me its not me. For my evidence i sent very little. we had only ten to twenty people at the wedding.. his parents hates black people so they didnt attend. my dad is dead and my mom is ill so couldnt fly thousands of miles to attend. I had just moved to this foreign land knew no one at all. so i had no friends. But we LOVED each other sooo soo much!!. we still do!. our application package is what u prolly would call short and truly sweet!.
Am thinking surely if they dont see it in the quality they will never see it. I adopted hius daughter when she was 8.5 . (which man will ask you to do this if they dont love you and which woman will agree to do this if she doesnt love her man??) we have two other kids together . we decided we hate the mushy mushy stuff because its not "us". we dont give cards...... he shows me his love. he looks at me everyday like he just met me. I dont need anything else. i would do anything for him. Such things are hard to show to an IO. but we both wrote long letters so i hope they see by our little evidence. and our true love like it really is

As i said before the few people who have been ingenuine and have abused this system are the ones to blame for the bureaucracy.
best of luck and good karma to all.

P.S. for those of you who wanna give me negative karma for posting this (I get this alot everytime i give my opinion which am entitled to!) your karma doesnt touch me!. i turn it all to positive . Am here for one reason and one reason only and thats to gain and give support to everyone asking and needing it!. if you even have the time to click on that minus you are not here for support but to bring people down!!. All i said is in support and love and good intentions . I dont deserve bad karma! so right back atcha!..

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
ok I'm confused, is this IN Effect or NOT IN EFFECT ?

and when people get married in Canada, applying inland right away...the true intention is love but also wanting to stay together in Canada?.,...
so how can they proove that the reason for marriage is either one when it is really both?

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
It is in effect. Has been since Sept. 30th.
All you can do is provide your evidence and hope for the best.
Have faith that they are able to tell the difference between a fake marriage and genuine one. Thats all any of us can do.
Until we know an answer from them, we can hold strong together here.