+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regulations Changed September 30, 2010

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
I really believe that they mean that if the person started the relationship for immigration purposes, not if the relationship already existed, and they married to be able to be together.

Put the example that someone decides they want to immigrate to Canada, so they start communicating with Canadians for that purpose. They start sending Emails to Canadians, or try to meet someone they know is from Here just for that reason. They don't care about anything about that person except they know that person could be their ticket into Canada.

It's really in my point of view not about people who are in a relationship who decide they want to live in Canada together. For 2 people from different countries in a relationship, it is normal that someone has to sponsor the other so they can be together.

The CIC knows and understands that many couples complete the marriage process so they can proceed with the sponsorship process. They know that there is no Fiancee option, so don't think that because you got married that it will look like it was just for immigration purposes, and to get into Canada for any other reason than to be with each other.

They are 2 completely different situations, 1- to Find a Canadian to marry to get into Canada, and 2-to Marry your partner to be able to be together in Canada.

The best to everyone

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
nyssa said:
We must be misinterpreting this... or something. Don't all of us, in a way, get married for immigration? I mean, my husband and I always wanted to get married at some point, but we got married sooner to apply for PR. Unfortunately for us, we said that in our letters. I feel sick. I wish CIC would explain a little more...
This is my concern too...while we did not enter the relationship for immigration purposes in the end I consulted an immigration lawyer on our options and in our particular situation this is the best route...meaning to get married then I return and apply for sponsorship.

I would have moved there in a heart beat for a year or two to wait it out but I have a child whose father will not let her travel with me..and I cannot leave her here with him. Therefore we have to live here. This was decided for us by her father NOT for immigration purposes. But how do we prove that?? Other than writing a letter to that effect?

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Am I the only one in tears reading that?
I am in as real of a relationship as there can be but I can't say that immigration didn't play a role in us getting married so soon.
We knew from the moment we met that we wanted to marry but not for another few years. We did not know about immigration then. We knew each other for 6 months before meeting. We were living together and dating each other for a year and a half before marrying. We have lived in both sides of the families homes so they have witnessed it. We did get married fast after engagement but that is because we knew we didn't want a big wedding so didn't need long to plan it. We were excited to get married. Then we mailed of the application a month and a half after the wedding. We are continuing living will his family for the time being. Yes we could have had him immigrate to the US but he has a disease that he gets free coverage for here. It wouldn't be fair to make him through such a strain to live in the US. This in turn played a part in where we decided to live especially after he had been placed in the hospital. It was apparent this is where he needed to be and stay. I was willing to give it up for his benefit. So do they consider me marrying for immigration purposes just because we chose for me to apply here based on the healthcare he receives here? I would like to hope not but with these rules I can't help but worry like every one else.

I really hope they explain all of this better and chose to use the rules appropriately where they fit. I worry for us genuine couples, at least until I see how they begin to use the new regulations given to them. I also could be rude or selfish here but I think the rules should have been applied to new applicants, not to ones that are already in process. That didn't give much of a chance to those that already submitted because we knew we had to prove one or the other but not both. I don't feel this is rightfully fair. Other rules that are usually applied, they state that they will have no effect on the applications in process. So why is this one any different?

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Love_Young, I almost cried too. My husband re-assured me that although it seems vague, it's not targeted at us as it shouldn't be targeted at you. Hang in there <3

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Thank you nyssa.
I most certainly hope not. But when we are applying there and did all this hard work it feels like I am being targeted.
I hope all of us here can hang in there together. <3

I am ready to fight them to the death if I have to. This relationship is my life, he is my life. I did not marry him because of this country. I married him because he asked me be his wife and become one with him for the rest of life. I said yes because I love him. We would be together no matter what. We just had to chose where we would rather live our life and can see it succeeding better at. That was Canada.

I hope these rules are going to be more beneficial to us than we think. Maybe we should give it a chance before we judge.
Then if we see problems occurring unrightfully, then we should use our voices and get heard for all us genuine couples out there.

But for now I am going to cry a bit and maybe visit hubby at work (since I can) and cry on his shoulder a bit. He is always the one that can keep me calm and I don't quite trust myself to stay calm alone right now.

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
I understand all your concerns, atleast you guys are living together. For some of us like me who is waiting on the outland process which is even harder. For my process, it has been 9 months already and on average it takes about 14 months to 18months. Only I and other outanders know how hard it is to live without your spouse and then you get to hear stories like this one :(

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Wes, I feel your pain. All of us have hardships in different ways, inland and outland. I have been without my husband since May 2009. Love_Young, you're right, maybe it's for the best! For now, I just have to listen to my siggy and stay optimistic ;)

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
I'll give my support to everyone by opening your eyes a little.

First of all, I'm sorry but immigration cannot be the only reason for a real couple to get married, if you understand what marriage is. If you just signed a paper to be eligible to immigrate with a partner you love, then you should have checked twice what that paper was and the level of commitment that it represents. I'm sorry, but if you're saying the your first and only reason to get married was to immigrate into Canada to be with your loved one, then... you should have just thought it twice, because it is wrong. I don't know why, but I don't feel too bad for people who literally used marriage to immigrate, even if it's with their loved ones, because you can love your boyfriend/girlfriend deeply, but the commitment of marriage is another level of relationship and it takes much, much more than love.

And I'm sorry for those whose relationships are tied to immigrating to Canada, but think about it.. Marriage says, together until death tears us apart, right? Give a second thought on the level of commitment that you have, because there is no real barrier for true love. This immigration thingy, for a real couple, should be something like plan A, or B, not as the only way to be together. And yes, this is the type of relationships that CIC officers will consider.

hoping75 said:
They are 2 completely different situations, 1- to Find a Canadian to marry to get into Canada, and 2-to Marry your partner to be able to be together in Canada.
No, they are not completely different. Both have the same purpose: to immigrate to Canada. I hope everyone can see that this is not what marriage is for.

I'm sorry again, if anyone doesn't like my post.

*Flame Shield On*
*Troll Shield On*

shawngt2

Jul 18, 2010
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-9-2010
Doc's Request.
13-1-2011
AOR Received.
22-11-2010
File Transfer...
5-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-8-2010
Passport Req..
5-5-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-5-2011
LANDED..........
23-5-2011
Well,

Plan A - Wife and I together in Canada and she eventually becomes Canadian and we live happier ever after.

Plan B - I leave Canada and be with my wife in Russia, learn the language and leave my old life behind. EDIT: AND We live happier ever after! ;)

NOTHING will stop me from being with my wife, period

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
shawngt2 said:
Well,

Plan A - Wife and I together in Canada and she eventually becomes Canadian and we live happier ever after.

Plan B - I leave Canada and be with my wife in Russia, learn the language and leave my old life behind.

NOTHING will stop me from being with my wife, period
shawngt2! You forgot to add "and we live happier ever after" on plan B, I believe.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
Not going to lie bonbon9, I do feel like that was directed at me so I do take some offense which I am sure you don't mean.
But if you are trying to say that I didn't understand the commitment of marriage when I married him then you are mistaken. It was thought through extremely well. But marriage isn't just commitment either. If that is the case then they can have just a commitment to make the marriage work long enough for the immigration approval or only one person as full commitment. It has to have love to. You make it seem like love has to be less important than commitment. I think most people know that with a marriage comes commitment and hard work. However you have to understand, most people when they enter a marriage don't have to face a person depending your fate. To me, this battle has made our marriage more stronger than other have known. Why? Because we are proving to world that is is our life together and we will plan to always have it that way. Please don't take too much offense to this bonbon9 because I too, just wanted to express my opinion on the situation, as well as you did.

Thanks for putting your input in there though because it does make a good point. When you are married, you should know it is going to take commitment, hard work, and love to make it succeed. Don't let immigration decide if you will or won't stay together if you don't get approved. If it is true love, you can find another way to make it through. Love truly does conquer all. But you have to be willing to have the commitment to. Maybe this is what you are saying bonbon9?

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
CIC doesn't want people to take immigration as a reason to get married or start a serious relationship.

No, that isn't what is said. What is said, is that immigration can't be your primary reason for "get(ing) married or start(ing) a serious relationship"

It CAN be one of the reasons, however you need to show that love, not immigration, was your primary reason.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
Love_Young said:
Not going to lie bonbon9, I do feel like that was directed at me so I do take some offense which I am sure you don't mean.
But if you are trying to say that I didn't understand the commitment of marriage when I married him then you are mistaken. It was thought through extremely well. But marriage isn't just commitment either. If that is the case then they can have just a commitment to make the marriage work long enough for the immigration approval or only one person as full commitment. It has to have love to. You make it seem like love has to be less important than commitment. I think most people know that with a marriage comes commitment and hard work. However you have to understand, most people when they enter a marriage don't have to face a person depending your fate. To me, this battle has made our marriage more stronger than other have known. Why? Because we are proving to world that is is our life together and we will plan to always have it that way. Please don't take too much offense to this bonbon9 because I too, just wanted to express my opinion on the situation, as well as you did.

Thanks for putting your input in there though because it does make a good point. When you are married, you should know it is going to take commitment, hard work, and love to make it succeed. Don't let immigration decide if you will or won't stay together if you don't get approved. If it is true love, you can find another way to make it through. Love truly does conquer all. But you have to be willing to have the commitment to. Maybe this is what you are saying bonbon9?
Yes, this is totally a big part of what I'm trying to say. I didn't really direct my message to you, but now I do, in a positive way: You said you knew that someday you were going to marry your loved one, right? You knew that you wanted to share a life with him, a future, a house together (and if you're like me maybe the two kids, the dog and the cat). If that was the reason why you even thought about marriage in first place, then why are you worrying? Hopefully, you made this point very clear for CIC to understand your marriage was based in love, and that you do understand the commitment it represents.

P.S. Cheer up! No more crying :) Give your hubby a kiss, prepare some tea and play games till late?

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
annabruce said:
It CAN be one of the reasons, however you need to show that love, not immigration, was your primary reason.
It CAN, yes. But it is not meant be. Marriage should not be a means to anything.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
bonbon9 said:
Yes, this is totally a big part of what I'm trying to say. I didn't really direct my message to you, but now I do, in a positive way: You said you knew that someday you were going to marry your loved one, right? You knew that you wanted to share a life with him, a future, a house together (and if you're like me maybe the two kids, the dog and the cat). If that was the reason why you even though about marriage in first place, then why are you worrying? Hopefully, you made this point very clear for CIC to understand your marriage was based in love, and that you do understand the commitment it represents.

P.S. Cheer up! No more crying :) Give your hubby a kiss, prepare some tea and play games till late?
Aww now you make me wish I could spend tonight drinking tea and playing games until late but he works overnights. :'(
Though he only has one more night to work then two days off. Yay. I am totally doing this on his day off. Suggestions on games? Maybe Life or Monopoly. I think I am visiting him at work though plus I get free food so win/win situation.

And yes, all of those you described are exactly why I married him and what I still feel. Plus like I said, I didn't even know I would need to immigrate to be with him. Lol...I know. We were naive.