18-8-2010
Passport Req..
5-5-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-5-2011
LANDED..........
23-5-2011
annabruce said:
CIC doesn't want people to take immigration as a reason to get married or start a serious relationship.

No, that isn't what is said. What is said, is that immigration can't be your primary reason for "get(ing) married or start(ing) a serious relationship"

It CAN be one of the reasons, however you need to show that love, not immigration, was your primary reason.
Perfect sense! For me, I had work visa to visit my wife and lived there 14 months and had to leave. We dated 6 months and both have never felt this way about another. She could be denied to visit me in December and I could be denied to visit her! Of course the BASE of our relationship is love, secondary is that we had no choice to fullproof our future lives together and get married, the happiest day of my life, but the true happiness is finding her. I also love being married with her because I am hers, she is mine, we are one...

As mentioned above, if Canada fails me and sees my relationship as a show stopper. I'm done with Canada no matter what. I really don't think it will get that way though...but just in case ;)

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Anybody play Halo? ;)

This is a weird thing you guys, but we all have to stay strong. We'll all look back someday wondering how we got through this (despite the most likely early grey hairs we'll get!) ;)

Also, Canada is the only chance my husband and I have because the US won't let him in after overstaying as a minor. We tried to tell CIC this, so hopefully the IO understands. We married EARLIER to be together. We were going to marry anyway. We have photos together of dating for 2+ years, living together for 2 in the states, albeit illegally. We said we'd be on a raft floating on the ocean worst come worst. :)

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
But it should not be.

I humbly disagree.

Where do my wife and I maximize our shared well-being as a loving couple, Russia or Canada? Anna is fluently english. My Russian is extremely limited. Anna has 7 years of North American experience. She can practice her own profession best in Canada or the USA. We are both better off in Canada - stronger as individuals, and much stronger as a couple. Of course immigration plays a part! Would she have come to Canada were it not for me, NO! She likely would have remained in the USA and found herself a man there which ironically, WOULD have been contrary to the new Canadian immigration regulation if it were excercised in the USA!

We got married because a) We love each other b) We want to share our life together c) We want this life together to start as soon as possible d) Canada is the best place for us to share our life together.

Finally, we are now living together in Canada, as of August 1st, 2010. Like the rest of you, we await the results of our application.

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
I think everyone is over reacting about this new change they have implemented. It is too early in the game to decide what the outcome of this change is going to be. Only time will tell I guess...

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
nyssa said:
Anybody play Halo? ;)

This is a weird thing you guys, but we all have to stay strong. We'll all look back someday wondering how we got through this (despite the most likely early grey hairs we'll get!) ;)

Also, Canada is the only chance my husband and I have because the US won't let him in after overstaying as a minor. We tried to tell CIC this, so hopefully the IO understands. We married EARLIER to be together. We were going to marry anyway. We have photos together of dating for 2+ years, living together for 2 in the states, albeit illegally. We said we'd be on a raft floating on the ocean worst come worst. :)
MeMeMe....because of the hubby. He has been playing it for 2 weeks straight anytime he gets a break.
Do you have Xbox live?

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Love_Young, I'm going to PM you :)

AngelB

May 13, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 7th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 26th 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov 11th 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 23rd 2010
LANDED..........
Nov 26th 2010
It's just more stress. How much longer is it going to take now? How much more critical and demanding will they be? Interviews will probably become more common, and expenses will be through the roof. I could care less what I have to do to be with my husband, but nonetheless it's all very stressful.

Regardless, I am sick to my stomach from worry. Only because I have no idea what to expect, or what any of this means for everyone.

sitandwait

Jul 4, 2010
I thought it was already too easy to say the relationship is not bona-fide. You can bring all of your evidence but that won't matter if you have a red flag that could be all it takes. I think if all docs are in order and all goes ok in interview then there should be no refusal no matter what.
Did everyone fill in the CIC survey? They need our opinions.
So I've been approved as a sponsor but not in process yet. I check every day. This means that I will be dealing with this new law? ::)

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
sitandwait said:
I thought it was already too easy to say the relationship is not bona-fide. You can bring all of your evidence but that won't matter if you have a red flag that could be all it takes. I think if all docs are in order and all goes ok in interview then there should be no refusal no matter what.
Did everyone fill in the CIC survey? They need our opinions.
So I've been approved as a sponsor but not in process yet. I check every day. This means that I will be dealing with this new law? ::)
If you read on the CIC website it says:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers must commence applying the new provision on the day on which it entered into force. Therefore, effective today, CIC and CBSA officers must apply the new provision to all new applications, all applications in process for which a final decision has not yet been rendered and all new and pending appeals before the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD).

You have been approved as a sponsor already, so I think that would be applications in process for which a final decision is pending.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob238.asp

mrs B

Star Member
Dec 5, 2009
bonbon9.......everything you said is well put, Marriage should never be about "immigration" If there are people getting married because of immigration welllll then shame on them, it wont work, look at statistic's people, for this reason alone, good for cic, but if these reasons are only for cic to control the lives of people (couples) even more than they already are now then "shame on them" but you all must agree that all the Bullshit marriages out there, is what is making it hard for the TRUE couples out there.

To all the Real marriages out there, why are you worried, remember true love always wins in the end, and to the ones that are sooooo worried what is it you are really soooooo worried about?????????

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Marriage should not be about immigration, but it's totally naive to think that two people who genuinely love each other and want to be together won't seriously consider getting married sooner than they otherwise would have liked to, so they can remain together. People who are in love and want to build a life together will do everything in their power to stay together. It's how CIC will apply this regulatory change to that situation that seems to be concerning so many people.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At the bottom of the Operational Bulletin are a list of the procedure manuals that will be updated providing guideance to the immigration and visa officer who make the decisions. They are NOT updated yet. For most, that will mean OP Manual 2. Current procedures for identifying relationships of convenience are in Section 12. It will be interesting to see what will be added and how changing one word will be interpreted.

It's extremely doubtful that any genuine couple needs to worry. It's not the government's intent to deny those in bona fide relationships. Their goal is prevent scams and fraud that victimize Canadians. Like this story: http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/832865

This is a case where the VO got it right. But love is blind and this situation REALLY could happen to anyone.

IMHO, the real impact will be felt in arranged marriages and internet relationships that have very little "face time" prior to marriage. Conjugal applications will be THAT much harder to be accepted. But I think common law couples and marriages where the parties live together (or have lived together) will be processed the same, with little impact felt.

I'd like to give a big shout out to the dude or dudette who gave me bad karma after I posted this Bulletin yesterday. Yep, I sit around here all day and write the law. The government loves me so much they just accept whatever I type and email them. Sometimes I even write these laws in my pj's. Wearing slippers helps me think better. And yeah, I probably shouldn't tell anyone about that changes I make to the laws that affect them. But I've got a big mouth and have a hard time keeping secrets. So please, keep giving me bad karma and I will keep writing laws you don't like. Because really, I'm the ruler of the known universe, in case you were wondering.

Sorry folks. Gotta love this karma crap.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
matthewc said:
Marriage should not be about immigration, but it's totally naive to think that two people who genuinely love each other and want to be together won't seriously consider getting married sooner than they otherwise would have liked to, so they can remain together.
I understand speeding up your marriage can be due to immigration reasons. But deciding to get married due to immigration reasons in first place... that is a different story.

rjessome said:
I'd like to give a big shout out to the dude or dudette who gave me bad karma after I posted this Bulletin yesterday. Yep, I sit around here all day and write the law. The government loves me so much they just accept whatever I type and email them. Sometimes I even write these laws in my pj's. Wearing slippers helps me think better. And yeah, I probably shouldn't tell anyone about that changes I make to the laws that affect them. But I've got a big mouth and have a hard time keeping secrets. So please, keep giving me bad karma and I will keep writing laws you don't like. Because really, I'm the ruler of the known universe, in case you were wondering.
Please do not feed the troll.

Hee hee :p :)

AngelB

May 13, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 7th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 26th 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov 11th 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 23rd 2010
LANDED..........
Nov 26th 2010
rjessome said:
IMHO, the real impact will be felt in arranged marriages and internet relationships that have very little "face time" prior to marriage. Conjugal applications will be THAT much harder to be accepted. But I think common law couples and marriages where the parties live together (or have lived together) will be processed the same, with little impact felt.
That is exactly why I am stressed out. My husband and I were together a little over a year before we got married. Because he was in the Marine Corps. we were only able to visit each other twice before marrying. We do, however, have a massive stack of phone and text bills as proof of talking for HOURS every single day. Some days we barely got off the phone with each other. Since marrying, he has lived with us for approximately 3 months, and will be returning for a longer stay in December. He have been on family vacations and he has been a part of my family since his first visit. I am hoping this is enough, because I cannot imagine life without my husband. He is my entire world, and I can't imagine our relationship getting more legitimate. Being away from him is the hardest thing I have ever had to to, and the thought that they may not believe me frightens me. How can they truly know how powerful our love is? They can't, they are human, and they can easily make mistakes. Like I said... I just hope we don't suffer for other people's monstrous behaviour. Again, I understand the need to protect Canadian women. It's wonderful that they care and are fighting for fraud. However... there needs to be a balance, one that makes certain real couples won't suffer.

B

boyee6576

Well all I can say is I am so glad we are at the end of our process. Just waiting for his passport to be returned with the visa. Its been and extremely difficult and emotionally draining experience for us. My husband and I were penpals for years before we met face to face. When we finally met face to face it was nothing short of amazing, but its been hard. So with all this new stuff coming through that will make things much tougher, I am sure we would be screwed if we had to be under the new changes. We would have never bothered to settle here in Canada once he was rejected, but I have two young sons that their dad will not allow to even visit India let alone live there. So there was only one choice, to dig our heals in and fight like mad. Leaving each other was never and option.