+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overseas spouse and dependents of protected person and convention refugee timeline - Share here

Melsi

Star Member
Feb 22, 2023
Timelines
April 9, 2021:
Principal applicant submitted application for PR which included a dependent outside Canada.

Nov. 16, 2021:
Through eCAS, processing started.

CPC Mississauga sent email to dependent outside Canada to complete the following;
a. Generic Application Form IMM 0008
b. Schedule A, Background Declaration IMM 5669.
c. Additional Family Information IMM 5406
d. Supplementary information-Your travels IMM 5562
e. Use of Representative IMM 5476
f. Data page of passport
g. Birth Certificate
h. Police Certificate
i. Marriage Certificate or Proof of Common-Law Relationship
j. Proof of Relationship
k. Divorce Certificate
l. Biometric Fees.
m. Missing Documents

All to be sent via Webform.

Jan. 11, 2022:
Dependent submitted the completed forms and other requests.

May 11, 2022:
Dependent’s file transferred to Accra visa office.

June 14, 2022:
Principal Applicant (me) & dependents in Canada became a PR.

June 27, 2022:
Principal applicant & dependents in Canada received PR Cards by mail.

July 22, 2022:
Accra visa office via email demanded the following from dependent outside Canada: Generic application form IMM 0008, Additional family information IMM 5406, Data page of passport, Birth Certificate & Marriage Certificate.

August 8, 2022:
Dependent outside Canada submitted the forms & documents requested.

April 5, 2024:
Medical Request letter.

Police Certificate, Proof of payment for biometrics, Schedule A, Background information IMM 5669 & Supplementary Information- Your travels IMM 5562

April 6, 2024:
Pre-arrival email

April 13, 2024:
Dependent submitted all the forms & documents requested.

April 25, 2024:
Dependent had his medical.

May 11, 2024:
CAS, medical results have been received.

August 14, 2024:
Passport Request.
Appreciate to sharing your timeline, enjoy your new life together with all the best happiness hope everyone gets the good news

mafghan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2022
Hi, I am the overseas spouse / dependents of a protected person in Canada.

I would appreciate if you could please help me with below two questions.

On Generic Form - IMM 0008, what should I select for the below two questions:

1) Program under which you are applying
2) category under which you are applying

Question 2: How do I submit the application? The email states that, "For instant updates, submit your documents via IRCC secure account at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html"

Alternative option is to submit it by WEBFORM.

My spouse in Canada has submitted her PR application through PR Portal and then linked her application to GCKey.

Is it possible to submit my application through IRCC secure account (GCKey)?

Orlando_Best

Sep 14, 2021
Hi, I am the overseas spouse / dependents of a protected person in Canada.

I would appreciate if you could please help me with below two questions.

On Generic Form - IMM 0008, what should I select for the below two questions:

1) Program under which you are applying
2) category under which you are applying

Question 2: How do I submit the application? The email states that, "For instant updates, submit your documents via IRCC secure account at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html"

Alternative option is to submit it by WEBFORM.

My spouse in Canada has submitted her PR application through PR Portal and then linked her application to GCKey.

Is it possible to submit my application through IRCC secure account (GCKey)?
On question 1, I think I used FAMILY under program and SPOUSE under category.

On question number 2, the email has given you the link to IRCC secure account. Just click on it, create an account (if you don’t already have one) and use it to apply. It’s not difficult to use to apply. At least you will have the advantage of instant updates.

Last edited:

Ezio3000

Apr 13, 2024
Is the concurrent processing of dependents program still in place? On the web site it states that to be eligible you had to have applied during the pilot. But people who have applied recently are still getting the letters.

Reactions: himankkohli6

Mukbaba

Jan 30, 2024
Finally I got passport request letter(PPR) after a long wait. (My spouse got PR last year 2023 around June and me the overseas dependant got PPR on 16th/08/24)
One thing I have learned about this process is that it really depends on the visa office processing your application.
Our kids application is still ongoing because we all have different visa offices.

razrazanan

Star Member
Jul 18, 2023
Finally I got passport request letter(PPR) after a long wait. (My spouse got PR last year 2023 around June and me the overseas dependant got PPR on 16th/08/24)
One thing I have learned about this process is that it really depends on the visa office processing your application.
Our kids application is still ongoing because we all have different visa offices.
Congratulations, please share your full timeline

mafghan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2022
On question 1, I think I used FAMILY under program and SPOUSE under category.

On question number 2, the email has given you the link to IRCC secure account. Just click on it, create an account (if you don’t already have one) and use it to apply. It’s not difficult to use to apply. At least you will have the advantage of instant updates.
I have created IRCC secure account. However, I don't find any suitable option to submit my application.

The ONLY available options are (None of these apply to

Apply to come to Canada: Includes applications for visitor visas, work and study permits, Express Entry and International Experience Canada. You will need your personal reference code if you have one.

Refugees: Apply for temporary health care benefits
Citizenship: Apply for a search or proof of citizenship
Students: Transfer Schools

How did you guys submit your applications? Was anyone able to submit it through IRCC Secure account?

mafghan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2022
No problem.

Yes. Dependant of protected persons can only check the status on ECAS. It was really difficult as it provide minimum information.

As for IRCC web portals, as per my understanding :
- PORTAL: portal-portail.apps.cic.gc.ca (Portal for submiting visit visa, study permit, or as recently added: refugee claim) Any one can create account and use)
- PR PORTAL : prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca (You are supposed to use this after PR application is already confirmed, IRCC will send instructions and credentials, even though an already PR person can create account to submit for PRTD or PR card renew. You are encouraged not to create an account here if you are waiting for your PR process as it might create complications later down the road)
-IRCC account or GCKEY login: clegc-gckey.gc.ca (You can use this to create, link to track different applications types)

Regards

How should I submit my PR application as the overseas dependent spouse of a protected person (my wife, who is currently in Canada)? Which portal should I use? Has anyone used IRCC Secure Account for this?

Beamsbabe

Star Member
Jun 22, 2023
Greetings.
Please I want to ask if anyone here have any idea of how long it takes for passport to return from IRCC after submission. I mean the international passport which was sent for visa stamp.
Thank you

Orlando_Best

Sep 14, 2021
How should I submit my PR application as the overseas dependent spouse of a protected person (my wife, who is currently in Canada)? Which portal should I use? Has anyone used IRCC Secure Account for this?
Use the option that is available to you and submit your application. The earlier the better. The important thing is for them to process it. I submitted mine through the webform and uploaded documents of over 70 pages including pictures. My application is in the final stages as I now have PPR.