+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May 2024 - Inland Spousal Sponsorship

duke_hp

Dec 11, 2023
Don't lose hope yet. It's just that Canada Day is around the corner and people usually extend their long weekend by a day or two around such time/dates.
I Agree. Now its vacation time for kids in school. So many officers will also be going on vacations. But only concern is I need to apply for my wife's work permit. If I get AOR I can apply the same.

Aurora9

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hi
I filed PR and not AOR yet.
My visa will be expired today..
I was going to apply OWP when I get AOR.
But still no AOR (I applied June 2)
Do I need to apply Visitor Visa? or I will be okay without applying Visitor Visa?

duke_hp

Dec 11, 2023
Hi
I filed PR and not AOR yet.
My visa will be expired today..
I was going to apply OWP when I get AOR.
But still no AOR (I applied June 2)
Do I need to apply Visitor Visa? or I will be okay without applying Visitor Visa?
What is your current status in Canada?
If you are on visitor visa and if your visa is expiring today, you have the right to apply for Open work permit without an AOR. you don't need AOR if your status is expiring. So you can restore your status in canada.

As per IRCC:
Who’s eligible to apply for a work permit without an AOR
You can only apply for a work permit without an AOR if you meet both of the following criteria:

• your work permit, study permit or temporary resident status will expire in 2 weeks or less and
  • you’ve applied for permanent residence under one of the following classes:
    • the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) as a spouse or common-law partner
    • the family class as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (sponsored overseas)
Link to IRCC - check here

Reactions: Aurora9 and YVR123

Aurora9

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
I had Work permit and I expected I get AOR before my visa expire.. but still no AOR..
And I haven't heard any got AOR lately. so maybe it's getting late.
Then do I need to apply Visitor Visa for extending my status??
Or can I just apply open work permit without AOR??
I thought I need AOR for applying work permit. (my wife is PR Candana)

What is your current status in Canada?
If you are on visitor visa and if your visa is expiring today, you have the right to apply for Open work permit without an AOR. you don't need AOR if your status is expiring. So you can restore your status in canada.

As per IRCC:
Who’s eligible to apply for a work permit without an AOR
You can only apply for a work permit without an AOR if you meet both of the following criteria:

• your work permit, study permit or temporary resident status will expire in 2 weeks or less and
  • you’ve applied for permanent residence under one of the following classes:
    • the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) as a spouse or common-law partner
    • the family class as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (sponsored overseas)
Link to IRCC - check here

duke_hp

Dec 11, 2023
I had Work permit and I expected I get AOR before my visa expire.. but still no AOR..
And I haven't heard any got AOR lately. so maybe it's getting late.
Then do I need to apply Visitor Visa for extending my status??
Or can I just apply open work permit without AOR??
I thought I need AOR for applying work permit. (my wife is PR Candana)
When is your work permit expiring?
Visa is required to enter into canada and Work permit is required to stay in Canada.
If your Visa is expiring and if your work permit is still valid, you can continue to stay in Canada.

But if you are planning to travel outside of Canada then only you need valid visa to come back to Canada. If your work permit is still valid, i will suggest you to wait for an AOR.

If your Work permit is expired, and if your visitor visa is also expired, You are eligible to apply for Spouse Open Work Permit, so apply the same.

Reactions: Aurora9

Aurora9

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
My work permit expires today. so I have to apply any visa today.
If I can apply open work permit then I will.
According to your post information from IRCC, I can apply OWP without AOR right?
then I have to apply OWP

When is your work permit expiring?
Visa is required to enter into canada and Work permit is required to stay in Canada.
If your Visa is expiring and if your work permit is still valid, you can continue to stay in Canada.

But if you are planning to travel outside of Canada then only you need valid visa to come back to Canada. If your work permit is still valid, i will suggest you to wait for an AOR.

If your Work permit is expired, and if your visitor visa is also expired, You are eligible to apply for Spouse Open Work Permit, so apply the same.

duke_hp

Dec 11, 2023
My work permit expires today. so I have to apply any visa today.
If I can apply open work permit then I will.
According to your post information from IRCC, I can apply OWP without AOR right?
then I have to apply OWP
Yes, You can apply for OWP for sure.
Just attach required documents as mentioned in the Link

Aurora9

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
I can't find the information you posted for me. this one Who’s eligible to apply for a work permit without an AOR
what I found from the link is

Principal permanent residence applicants
When you apply for your open work permit, you must also be

• in a genuine relationship with your sponsor
  • included in an application for permanent residence, and have an acknowledgement of receipt (AOR)letter confirming that your permanent residence application is being processed
    • The AOR must be for your permanent resident application. You can’t use the AOR your sponsor received when they applied to sponsor you.
According to this, I have to wait AOR.. isn't it??
but as far as I know, if my wife is PR I can apply OWP anyway regardless whether I apply PR or not.. am I right?

Yes, You can apply for OWP for sure.
Just attach required documents as mentioned in the Link

duke_hp

Dec 11, 2023
I can't find the information you posted for me. this one Who’s eligible to apply for a work permit without an AOR

• included in an application for permanent residence, and have an acknowledgement of receipt (AOR)letter confirming that your permanent residence application is being processed
    • The AOR must be for your permanent resident application. You can’t use the AOR your sponsor received when they applied to sponsor you.
but as far as I know, if my wife is PR I can apply OWP anyway regardless whether I apply PR or not.. am I right?
Hi,
In the same Link at the bottom there is a question "Do you have a valid temporary residence status?" Click on yes. You will see the further information.

Regarding your question "if my wife is PR I can apply OWP anyway regardless whether I apply PR or not.. am I right? " - No you are not eligible for Open work permit on your spouse's PR. You are eligible for Family Class PR program, once you apply for PR, based on Family Class PR application you become eligible for Spouse Open Work Permit.

Reactions: Aurora9 and YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Follow the link and click "Yes". then you will see the additional information. Tricky part is that .. if today is the expiry date, is your work permit still valid?

Do you have valid temporary resident status? (required)
Yes
No

Reactions: Aurora9