June 2024 outland spousal sponsorship

ravikumark815

Star Member
Jan 8, 2020
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Hi Everyone,

I'm a PR in Canada, and I sponsored PR for my wife. Since the spousal PR process takes nearly a year, I applied for a visitor visa for her, which is almost complete. I'm now looking to book her flight to Canada.

I've heard from others in similar situations that immigration officers sometimes ask to see a return ticket to avoid concerns about dual intent. However, dual intent is allowed in spousal cases, according to an announcement made in May 2023.

For example, someone who traveled to Toronto in January was asked the same question. She showed her AOR letter for the spousal visa to prove her dual intent and that she planned to settle.

My question is: should I book a return ticket and cancel it later just to be safe, or is it unnecessary? Please share your journey if you went through similar process.

Thanks in advance,
Ravi

pretendcat

Jun 1, 2024
Sponsor: Canadian citizen
PA: US Citizen

June 6, 2024: Submitted application
June 26, 2024: Application returned, required extra travel ID
June 27, 2024: Re-submitted application

Fai_m

Nov 3, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I'm a PR in Canada, and I sponsored PR for my wife. Since the spousal PR process takes nearly a year, I applied for a visitor visa for her, which is almost complete. I'm now looking to book her flight to Canada.

I've heard from others in similar situations that immigration officers sometimes ask to see a return ticket to avoid concerns about dual intent. However, dual intent is allowed in spousal cases, according to an announcement made in May 2023.

For example, someone who traveled to Toronto in January was asked the same question. She showed her AOR letter for the spousal visa to prove her dual intent and that she planned to settle.

My question is: should I book a return ticket and cancel it later just to be safe, or is it unnecessary? Please share your journey if you went through similar process.

Thanks in advance,
Ravi
Check with the Airline first. Partially used tickets aren't worth cancelling. About Immigration officer at the point of entry can not say anything. If I were you, I would book a flexible ticket just to keep changing dates form minimum year or two (if allowed by Airline).