05-June-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 09-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 09-July-2014
LANDED..........
15-August-2014
Line.a said:
I had doubts about that too and extended my stay but was only given 4 months for some silly reason.
Apparently you don't need to extend it since you included the OWP along with your application. That should be fine :)

Yeah same here. It might just come in handy.. For example maybe for a drivers license, visitors health insurance etc.. I'd just like to be on that safe side.

Can you tell me how you went about your Visitors extension application? Did you do it online? And what documents do you include? Did you have to write a cover letter to explain your situation?

I'm assuming you're from a non-visa exempt country..

5hr3wd

Jul 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Vegreville --> CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
15-August-2013
Med's Done....
05-June-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 09-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 09-July-2014
LANDED..........
15-August-2014
computergeek said:
First, you aren't asking for a TRP (that's a special document used to overcome inadmissibility). You'd be asking for a TRV. But you only need a TRV if you plan on traveling TO Canada, and since you are already here you and shouldn't leave, you don't need a TRV.

TRP = "Temporary Resident Permit". A special document issued at the discretion of the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration to permit an otherwise inadmissible person to enter Canada anyway.
TRV = "Temporary Resident Visa". A document permitting the holder to travel to Canada.
VR = "Visitor Record". A document permitting the holder to stay in Canada as a visitor.

You could ask for a VR, but since you have a pending application you are covered under implied status. In the unlikely chance you need to prove that you have a pending application your receipt for the fee payment should be sufficient evidence.
Yeah my bad. I didn't know what they're called. I just assumed they'd be some sort of Temporary permits.. But yeah what I meant was permits like Study permit and visitors permit.

so I'm completely safe applying for a Visitor permit while I have a PR and OWP application already submitted?

Btw isn't Visitor Record for Visa exempt countries? Don't you get those on arrival at the airport.. It should be different in my case.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
5hr3wd said:
Yeah my bad. I didn't know what they're called. I just assumed they'd be some sort of Temporary permits.. But yeah what I meant was permits like Study permit and visitors permit.

so I'm completely safe applying for a Visitor permit while I have a PR and OWP application already submitted?

Btw isn't Visitor Record for Visa exempt countries? Don't you get those on arrival at the airport.. It should be different in my case.
You don't need to apply for a visitor record (extension) when you already applied for an OWP along with your application so you should be fine. Yes it is, either you get a visitor record or a stamp.

ArtSnow

Star Member
May 2, 2013
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
Doc's Request.
14-01-2014
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
02-02-2015
Med's Done....
07-01-2013
Interview........
05-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Line.a said:
That would be great if we could do that.. I wonder if Alberta allows us to do that!!
Nope, not here in Alberta, at least the driving school refused me, I never went deeper into it after...

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-07-14
ArtSnow said:
Nope, not here in Alberta, at least the driving school refused me, I never went deeper into it after...
What did you bring with you as proof? I'm pretty sure once we have OWP we'd be able to, right?

ArtSnow

Star Member
May 2, 2013
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
Doc's Request.
14-01-2014
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
02-02-2015
Med's Done....
07-01-2013
Interview........
05-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Yes, because after having the OWP we'll be able to get a SIN, that's the reason why they refuse us, we don't exist :'(

laura8388

Star Member
Mar 25, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2013
AOR Received.
03-04-2013
Med's Done....
06-03-2013
Alberta has some kind of receiprocal agreement with some countries, and allow you to just 'swap' your home country license for an alberta one. New Zealand unfortunately is not one of those countries! Therefore I was told when I was on a work permit that I couldn't get a license unless my permits were issued for OVER 12 months (they were always 12 months at a time) so I have renewed my international license every year. SUCKS to stay at a 0 star on my insurance because of this however..

BUT... when I went to a different registries, i spoke to a manager who told me the other place was WRONG, they should have let me sit a license as long as I had at least 3 months LEFT on my visa. Then they could have issued me with a license with the same expiry date as my visa. Now that i am married to a canadian citizen, i am entitled to a license valid for 5 years. Not sure what the confusion was at the first place...

ANOTHER BUT: in order to get the license, i have to sit a Learner's license permit, and pass, then hand in my exisiting NZ license, which they send away to verify it is not a fake, which takes approx 2-3 weeks, during which time i will be a 'learner' driver. once it is confirmed it is a real license, i can then go back and sit my 'full' license (skip the GDL step).
I live 20 minutes out of the town I work in, so can't go 2-3 weeks without being able to drive! So still haven't...!!!!!

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-07-14
laura8388 said:
Alberta has some kind of receiprocal agreement with some countries, and allow you to just 'swap' your home country license for an alberta one. New Zealand unfortunately is not one of those countries! Therefore I was told when I was on a work permit that I couldn't get a license unless my permits were issued for OVER 12 months (they were always 12 months at a time) so I have renewed my international license every year. SUCKS to stay at a 0 star on my insurance because of this however..

BUT... when I went to a different registries, i spoke to a manager who told me the other place was WRONG, they should have let me sit a license as long as I had at least 3 months LEFT on my visa. Then they could have issued me with a license with the same expiry date as my visa. Now that i am married to a canadian citizen, i am entitled to a license valid for 5 years. Not sure what the confusion was at the first place...

ANOTHER BUT: in order to get the license, i have to sit a Learner's license permit, and pass, then hand in my exisiting NZ license, which they send away to verify it is not a fake, which takes approx 2-3 weeks, during which time i will be a 'learner' driver. once it is confirmed it is a real license, i can then go back and sit my 'full' license (skip the GDL step).
I live 20 minutes out of the town I work in, so can't go 2-3 weeks without being able to drive! So still haven't...!!!!!
Denmark isn't one of them I believe, but I haven't even got my license yet.. I'd have to start from scratch :(

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Why are they still working on the very same day (oct 8th) for so long? Are the rest if the following dates going to take that long too?!

boredhousewife

Apr 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-04-2012
IELTS Request
AIP: 10-09-2012
File Transfer...
DM: 06-26-13
LANDED..........
08-14-13
God be with us said:
i truly empathise with your frustration. I don't have anything significantly helpful to add per se, just wanted you to know that if you are in ontario you can go ahead and apply for a driver's license. Your immigration status does not matter. I'm not sure about other provinces. Hope this will be a bit helpful.

Hi Boredhousewife......

Can we apply for drivers license even while we r on visitors visa and the application for sponsorship has been sent?

By the way I like ur name......I am also a bored house wife ryt now......

Thanks
Hi, sorry i took so long to get back to you. This is what i did: I applied for my driving record back home (this is only necessary if you want to skip the G2 phase), carried my driving record, license from back home along with my passport and proof of address to the Driving examination center. They looked at my documents, I paid my fee and did the written and got my G1 on spot. I then booked my highway test for 2 weeks later ( if you don't have your driving record, you'll have to wait a year to do your G2 then another year to do your G). I had no issues, no one ever asked me about my status in Canada.

God be with us

May 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC- Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
AOR Received.
14-08-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with application
Interview........
Thankfully not reqrd
VISA ISSUED...
13-6-2014
LANDED..........
24-6-2014
boredhousewife said:
Hi, sorry i took so long to get back to you. This is what i did: I applied for my driving record back home (this is only necessary if you want to skip the G2 phase), carried my driving record, license from back home along with my passport and proof of address to the Driving examination center. They looked at my documents, I paid my fee and did the written and got my G1 on spot. I then booked my highway test for 2 weeks later ( if you don't have your driving record, you'll have to wait a year to do your G2 then another year to do your G). I had no issues, no one ever asked me about my status in Canada.
Hey......u dnt have to be sorry :D

That means.....I cannot apply as of now coz I don't have international licence from my home country......but thanks so much for sharing the details......

Also, I sent my application on the 11th July, 2013 which or was received at Vegreville on the 15 th (acc to the tracking details), do we have any approx time when will we receive AOR........just tensed and worried....

Thanks to all......

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Uhhhhh today has been hell for us. My dear man got in an accident at work and was close to life threatening with a huge gash in his neck... Scared much. Luckily it didn't hit an artery or needed surgery, just plenty of pain medication and need to be off work for a while.. And with no OWP that's going to suck :(

boredhousewife

Apr 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-04-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
08-14-13
God be with us said:
Hey......u dnt have to be sorry :D

That means.....I cannot apply as of now coz I don't have international licence from my home country......but thanks so much for sharing the details......

Also, I sent my application on the 11th July, 2013 which or was received at Vegreville on the 15 th (acc to the tracking details), do we have any approx time when will we receive AOR........just tensed and worried....

Thanks to all......
You dont need to have a license from your homeland. i had to carry mine because i wanted to skip the G2 phase. You can do the regular process with just your ID and proof of address.

boredhousewife

Apr 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-04-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
08-14-13
Line.a said:
Uhhhhh today has been hell for us. My dear man got in an accident at work and was close to life threatening with a huge gash in his neck... Scared much. Luckily it didn't hit an artery or needed surgery, just plenty of pain medication and need to be off work for a while.. And with no OWP that's going to suck :(
Thank God he is ok. So sorry this happened.