Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mrsc08 said:
Heya! Just curious co-applicants.. So we submitted our PR app along with my OWP app last March. I'm on a work permit and won't expire until November of this year. If that expires, I will still be on implied status, correct? I'm reading comments above about this and some of you said no need to renew visa/work permit as long as they have submitted an OWP app. My questions is, how do you maintain your healthcare? For me, my work permit is for Nova Scotia, so I still have Nova Scotia health until my work permit expires. But I no longer live there anymore, I'm here in Alberta now since our son was born last year. Alberta won't grant me Alberta health since I'm on a work permit for NS. They said though that if I extend my stay as a tourist/TRV and a proof that we have submitted our PR app, then that's when I'll be eligible to apply for Alberta health.

I'm battling between extending my stay as a tourist as what I was advised to be eligible for Alberta health or just wait for my OWP. It'll be 8 months from when we have submitted our app to the expiration of my work permit.
You need to show them you paid the OWP application fee. In my experience they will extend it for several months while you wait for a decision (in my case, I asked MSP to extend my coverage based upon a work permit renewal and they agreed to extend three months with evidence that I had applied.)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
amikety said:
What type of open work permit? Aka - How did you get the OWP? Several types are not extendable and not eligible for "Implied Status" as a worker. (But you can remain even as a Visitor.)
Can you find anything that actually says this? I've read over the IRPR and it doesn't call out anything special about different classes of work permits.

God be with us

May 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC- Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
AOR Received.
14-08-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with application
Interview........
Thankfully not reqrd
VISA ISSUED...
13-6-2014
LANDED..........
24-6-2014
Hey,

Just wanted to know if I can do any short term course if I am n a visitor visa?

Thanks all
:D

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
God be with us said:
Hey,

Thanks all
In general, yes. I seem to recall the restriction is that it can't be towards a degree or diploma program and must be less than 6 months in duration.

God be with us

May 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC- Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
AOR Received.
14-08-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with application
Interview........
Thankfully not reqrd
VISA ISSUED...
13-6-2014
LANDED..........
24-6-2014
Hi, Computergeek,

Thanks so much. 2 days back only I mailed the application.......

I would request to add me in the timeline......

God bless us all!!

mrsc08

Star Member
May 26, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2013
Doc's Request.
09-01-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2013
Med's Request
09-01-2014
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
AIP: 23-03-2014
Computergeek,

Are you from Alberta too? Thanks for the suggestion.. I never thought of that. Ill give them a call Tom.

tyhcyq

Jul 14, 2013
God be with us said:
Hey,

Thanks all
Yes, my friend did a language course when she was on visitor visa.It would be really expensive though.

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
computergeek said:
Can you find anything that actually says this? I've read over the IRPR and it doesn't call out anything special about different classes of work permits.
I have never read anything about different classes of work permits that are allowed to have implied status and some that can't go under implied status. I have searched this forum extensively and couldn't find the case that everyone mentions where a British guy got deported because he had a certain kind of work permit and thus wasn't under implied status.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Read Sweden's post - her second post I believe: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/updated-topics/-t148829.0.html;topicseen

(Yes, I have this bookmarked.)

Post graduate work permits also aren't extendable because they are tied to the amount of time you spend in school, but are an open work permit because they aren't tied to an employer.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Could someone please let me know the who stages of the PR Process? As there are so many terms I still dont understand like AIP/AOR/etc etc

All I know is that its split up in 2 stages, 1st at 6 months ill have my work permit. Thats all I know and the 2nd stage is when I have my PR?

I dont even know what happens when I get my PR? Is it a letter via the post then I just have to re-enter Canada showing them that to get my PR in Canada?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
Could someone please let me know the who stages of the PR Process? As there are so many terms I still dont understand like AIP/AOR/etc etc

All I know is that its split up in 2 stages, 1st at 6 months ill have my work permit. Thats all I know and the 2nd stage is when I have my PR?

I dont even know what happens when I get my PR? Is it a letter via the post then I just have to re-enter Canada showing them that to get my PR in Canada?
Inland has 2 Stages.

Stage 1 is the basic review. When it's completed and you're approved, you get AIP, which is Approved in Principle.

Stage 2 is a more thorough review including the dreaded security check. After Stage 2, you get your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Resident).

When you land, the IO that handles your landing will get your address to mail out your PR card. It takes 1-2 months (typically) to arrive. Then you'll have the card to help you re-enter Canada. When you get your COPR, it will have your picture included. That's for your PR card.

AOR means Acknowledgment of Receipt. That's the Visa Office (VO) saying "We got your file." But they haven't really done much with it yet.

God be with us

May 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC- Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
AOR Received.
14-08-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with application
Interview........
Thankfully not reqrd
VISA ISSUED...
13-6-2014
LANDED..........
24-6-2014
Hey guys,

In how much one should get an AOR??......

Also, regarding the studying while on visitor visa, here is the reply I received from CIC-

Course Less than Six Months

Generally, if you want to study in Canada, you need a study permit.

As an exception, you can study in Canada without a study permit if the:

Length of your course or program of study is six months or less; and
The course or program of study will be completed within the period for your stay authorized upon entry into Canada.
These short-term courses include self-improvement or general interest courses, such as painting or language courses. You are also allowed to take courses offered at colleges and universities, as long as the courses are not taken as part of a program.

You should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada if you plan on continuing your studies in another program after you complete the short-term course or program.

Please note that you must apply for a study permit if the main reason for your visit or for your request to extend your stay in Canada is

ArtSnow

Star Member
May 2, 2013
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
Doc's Request.
14-01-2014
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
02-02-2015
Med's Done....
07-01-2013
Interview........
05-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Just venting, as I know a lot of people will feel like I do...
After this morning had to refuse my 4TH job offer this year because I don't hold a WP, here I am at McDonalds to buy some coffee, at my side this young lad is talking to the lady manager about a job, and as she is telling him that he may start any time he wants as they really need someone as like yesterday, he starts telling her that he is not so sure about it, as his doctor told him he shouldn't be on his feet for a long time because some sort of injury he recently contracted, so he's not sure about working there and he rather start on a part time basis and then, if he likes the job and the people he might consider a full time position (sic).
They pay 11.80 per hour and he is also not so sure about it...
And all I feel like is screaming, as I would take it in a heartbeat, regardless I have a master degree in Business & Administration, speak and write 4 languages and can program computers in 3 different languages...
Seriously, and then we're like the criminals here, "robbing" jobs to the Canadians... We... as we wait, unable to get sick, unable to get a drivers license, unable to study, unable to exist, always afraid the police will come to us and asks us about something that might compromise our staying here...
I came from one of the most miserable countries in Europe, but at least there our immigrants are allowed to work the moment they start their legalization process, if they get refused they are sent back, but at least they are allowed to exist, to be...
Just venting, as I wonder if I post this or not, because my IP can be traced and I might suffer even more on the hands of I don't even know who...
God bless you all...

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
ArtSnow said:
After this morning had to refuse my 4TH job offer this year because I don't hold a WP, here I am at McDonalds to buy some coffee, at my side this young lad is talking to the lady manager about a job, and as she is telling him that he may start any time he wants as they really need someone as like yesterday, he starts telling her that he is not so sure about it, as his doctor told him he shouldn't be on his feet for a long time because some sort of injury he recently contracted, so he's not sure about working there and he rather start on a part time basis and then, if he likes the job and the people he might consider a full time position (sic).
And all I feel like is screaming, as I would take it in a heartbeat, regardless I have a master degree in Business & Administration, speak and write 4 languages and can program computers in 3 different languages...
Seriously, and then we're like the criminals here, "robbing" jobs to the Canadians... We... as we wait, unable to get sick, unable to get a drivers license, unable to study, unable to exist, always afraid the police will come to us and asks us about something that might compromise our staying here...
I came from one of the most miserable countries in Europe, but at least there our immigrants are allowed to work the moment they start their legalization process, if they get refused they are sent back, but at least they are allowed to exist, to be...
Just venting, as I wonder if I post this or not, because my IP can be traced and I might suffer even more on the hands of I don't even know who...
God bless you all...
Sounds like he's pretending to find a job for EI.

MaxLet

May 28, 2013
Prevost, Qc
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (Now Montreal)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
Doc's Request.
CIC ask for MICC: 14-03-13
Nomination.....
CSQ: 09-05-2013
AOR Received.
14-03-2013
Med's Request
07-01-14
Med's Done....
09-01-14
Interview........
WAIVED!+AIP 07-01-14
Passport Req..
DM: 28-02-14
LANDED..........
15-05-2014
ArtSnow said:
God bless you all...
I'm with you in this one, I totally understand you. Im tired of seen my husband working his a** off while I cant do anything else than WAIT... It's true that sometimes people don't value the opportunities they get... I mean, I believe that there's no bad job when it is an honest job. Im a lawyer in my country and speak 5 languages (and a dialect) and its so frustrating to not been able to work, I honestly feel -like you say- like I dont exist. It doesnt matter how much I studied or the certificates I have or the work experience.. doesnt matter, cuz no one will hired me not even at a mcdo's... It is so sad! We're not asking for them to give us a job, but just the opportunity to apply to one... and let the employer decide if we are worth it...
I want to be a "full-person" again...
In another matter, does anyone know, or understand, why AIP (approval in principle) takes longer when we are "inland"... I mean... outlanders get "sponsor approval" really fast... isn't it kind of the same?

God Bless and Good luck!
All we can do is breath..and wait!