waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
28january said:
When I crossed the border, a CBSA officer issued me a visitor record after seeing on file my inland app (I didn't ask for it or apply for it). I specifically asked him if I was allowed to go in and out of the country, he said yes.
did he actually and specifically mention your application is inland? or did he just confirm your application in the system? my guess is the CBSA officers don't understand the difference, and don't see a difference in applications when checking for them in the system. so all they see is a PR applicaiton is in the system, and a PR application generally doesn't cause concern for entry for visa exempt applicants.

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
did he actually and specifically mention your application is inland? or did he just confirm your application in the system? my guess is the CBSA officers don't understand the difference, and don't see a difference in applications when checking for them in the system. so all they see is a PR applicaiton is in the system, and a PR application generally doesn't cause concern for entry for visa exempt applicants.
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I am not visa exempt, i hold multiple entry visa. And on my visitor record, it just says "currently going through PR sponsorship" along with my partner's info, you're right, it doesn't specify inland or outland. He issued me the visitor record "so I have a status while I wait" and that if I don't get my PR by the time my visitor record expires I can just apply for a new one. Doesn't sound like an advice he would give an outland applicant right? Either way I am forever thankful for the nice agent that I got.. But to answer Jamesdavid's question on what one CBSA agent said about going in and out of the country, he said I should be fine.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
28january said:
He issued me the visitor record "so I have a status while I wait" and that if I don't get my PR by the time my visitor record expires I can just apply for a new one. Doesn't sound like an advice he would give an outland applicant right? \
that's exactly what happens with outland applicants wanting to visit long term. while most don't get visitor records, some do. so it shows that either a)cbsa agents are not educated enough to know the difference between the 2 applications and the "rules" for inland and/or b)the system doesn't specify the type of family class pr (which we know is true from ECAS). Therefore, that continues to prove that the only "risk" to traveling is being denied entry. if the cbsa officer doesn't have an issue with your reason to enter, then it's very unlikely they are going to deny entry to ANY pr applicant, regardless of inland or outland.

Btun

Oct 20, 2014
Congrats Nurse2012!
Did you send your police check with the initial application?

nurse2012 said:
Just came back from landing interview at Etobicoke office. The whole process is very straightforward. When we arrived at the office, the front desk gave us a number. Only about 15 people ahead of us. The waiting was not too long. The agent we had was a very nice lady. She asked my passport first, and asked the date of my recent entry to Canada. I think that's for the purpose of citizenship calculation. Then she asked the driver license for both of us and verified our current address. Following was the standard questions: have you committed any crime, have you been denied entry of Canada, do you have dependent, and have you received any social insurance or welfare. She only took one of my photos. She said they only need one. The other one is in case of mistake. The last part was we initialed and signed two pieces of paper. One for her record, and one for me.

In the end, she said I can apply for the SIN at service Canada just beside her window. I just needed to fill out a simple form, but I waited for more than half an hour. That's all my experience. Very simple. Hope everyone can get your PR soon. Good luck.

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
that's exactly what happens with outland applicants wanting to visit long term. while most don't get visitor records, some do. so it shows that either a)cbsa agents are not educated enough to know the difference between the 2 applications and the "rules" for inland and/or b)the system doesn't specify the type of family class pr (which we know is true from ECAS). Therefore, that continues to prove that the only "risk" to traveling is being denied entry. if the cbsa officer doesn't have an issue with your reason to enter, then it's very unlikely they are going to deny entry to ANY pr applicant, regardless of inland or outland.
So do I have to try and and avoid the topic of inland vs outland, should I ever have to deal with CBSA again? But if visa exempt inlanders are advised to show proofs they they have applied inland, then is there a need for me to try and hide the fact that i'm an inland applicant too?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
28january said:
So do I have to try and and avoid the topic of inland vs outland, should I ever have to deal with CBSA again? But if visa exempt inlanders are advised to show proofs they they have applied inland, then is there a need for me to try and hide the fact that i'm an inland applicant too?
the "proof" of your application is usually copies of receipts for medical and/or fees paid, which also doesn't specify outland vs. inland, as well as any communication received by CIC about your application. i'd say to just mention you have a "familyclass pr application submitted" and let them ask you specifically if it's inland or outland. if they don't ask, there's no reason to say either way. in my experience with crossing the border, they don't even look at the "proof" of the application, rather they take your passport and look you up in the system. that will confirm whether your applicaiton has been received or not. the only reason they would probably want to see any paperwork if it's not in their system yet. i've never been asked about which type of application i have. all they cared about was whether there was an application submitted or not.

again, i'm going to go out on a limb and say they don't get the difference, nor do they really care, unless there is something specific for them to be concerned about.

April Fajardo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vagreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 5, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2014
File Transfer...
Mar 9, 2014
Med's Done....
July 9, 2014
Interview........
Aug 24, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 24, 2015
Work permit recieved in the mail today!!!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Blackdisc said:
Guys ..... does getting employment insurance create a problem?
Collecting unemployment benefits is not a problem. You paid into it through your deductions. It is not welfare.

April Fajardo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vagreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 5, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2014
File Transfer...
Mar 9, 2014
Med's Done....
July 9, 2014
Interview........
Aug 24, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 24, 2015
My work permit has my old address in it though. I updated it in my ecas before moving but still received the work permit with my old address.
I wonder if I can get my SIN, and OHIP with my new address.
Any thoughts?

Blackdisc

Star Member
Sep 24, 2013
screech339 said:
Collecting unemployment benefits is not a problem. You paid into it through your deductions. It is not welfare.
Thanks Screech.

So what does one answer when the officer is asking at landing. .... are you receiving social insurance or welfare?

1. A simple No?
2. Not receiving social assistance but receiving employment uninsurance benefits.

Thanks in advance.

Also wondering if anyone else went through this.

Blackdisc.

shyla36

Sep 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2013
AOR Received.
20-09-2013
Med's Done....
01-08-2013
LANDED..........
04-02-2015
April Fajardo said:
My work permit has my old address in it though. I updated it in my ecas before moving but still received the work permit with my old address.
I wonder if I can get my SIN, and OHIP with my new address.
Any thoughts?
Yes when i got my sin, they didnt ask any id at all. Didnt even check my address.
Goodluck!