Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
exactly, just because the expected processing time is 12 months for everyone now, it does not suggest those visa offices that process applications quicker will not continue at the same pace as they are now. it is suggesting that 80% of application will not need to wait longer than 12 months. it's essentially taking all those current "processing times" and making them even across the board. i'm confident offices that process applications in 6-10 months now will continue to do so under this new initiative. and since the application is going to be simpler, i suspect we will see more visa offices around the world process in less than 12 months.
I'm skeptical though of whether processing for VOs that are notoriously fast will continue to be, mainly based on the change of asking for certain information after the application has been submitted rather than allowing for it to be submitted up front. There are September applicants who were processed through Ottawa in 74 and 78 days, respectively. Under the new system, they would have received a request to do the medical within 30 days instead of having been able to provide the medical upfront, which means there's a potential for a minimum of a 30 day delay in there depending on how quickly they actually deal with the medical exam once that information is submitted. Same for the police check and the background declaration. If they actually process that information quickly once it's submitted to the VO, great. If they sit on it for a while before doing anything with it, I can see things getting slower.

I wish they were still allowing for the *option* of providing the medical exam upfront, instead of forcing everyone to get it once the application has been submitted. That could be a huge inconvenience depending on where you live and what your circumstances are. I live in the capital city of my state and the nearest panel physician is more than five hours away in another state entirely. Certain changes they're making (such as simplifying the actual forms) sound great. But then I read other stuff and feel like I dodged a huge bullet. I'm still unclear how it benefits processing time to not provide the medical exam and police check upfront. Time will tell.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
danawhitaker said:
I'm skeptical though of whether processing for VOs that are notoriously fast will continue to be, mainly based on the change of asking for certain information after the application has been submitted rather than allowing for it to be submitted up front. There are September applicants who were processed through Ottawa in 74 and 78 days, respectively. Under the new system, they would have received a request to do the medical within 30 days instead of having been able to provide the medical upfront, which means there's a potential for a minimum of a 30 day delay in there depending on how quickly they actually deal with the medical exam once that information is submitted. Same for the police check and the background declaration. If they actually process that information quickly once it's submitted to the VO, great. If they sit on it for a while before doing anything with it, I can see things getting slower.

I wish they were still allowing for the *option* of providing the medical exam upfront, instead of forcing everyone to get it once the application has been submitted. That could be a huge inconvenience depending on where you live and what your circumstances are. I live in the capital city of my state and the nearest panel physician is more than five hours away in another state entirely. Certain changes they're making (such as simplifying the actual forms) sound great. But then I read other stuff and feel like I dodged a huge bullet. I'm still unclear how it benefits processing time to not provide the medical exam and police check upfront. Time will tell.
I guess you can't make every one happy, huh?

If you listen to what McCallum said, the "new guard" (the new process people at IRCC) have discovered which pieces can be executed concurrently. While they wait for medicals, they are waiting for Criminality and Security. The case still moves forward. No time lost.

Londo

Sep 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
23/11/2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2016
Ottawa, December 7, 2016 — Family reunification is a core immigration priority for the Government of Canada. In addition to the changes made today to process spousal sponsorship applications faster, we are also extending the open work permit pilot program until December 21, 2017, to give spouses a chance to work while their application is being finalized.

To be eligible for an open work permit, you must be a spouse or common-law partner living in Canada who is being sponsored under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class. You must have valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker) and live at the same address as your sponsor.

If you have already submitted an application for permanent residence but have not yet received approval in principle under the SCLPC class or have not yet applied for an open work permit, you can complete the work permit application. Send your completed application, along with appropriate fee, to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville at

CPC – Vegreville
WP – Unit 777
6212–55 Avenue
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

If you have already received approval in principle on your permanent residence application—meaning you received a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada stating you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements but have not yet passed the medical, security and background checks for your family members or yourself—you may apply for an open work permit online.

If you were provided with a work permit under the initial pilot, you must apply for a work permit extension before it expires.

If you are submitting a new application, you may submit a work permit application at the same time as your sponsorship application, along with an application for permanent residence. You must include the appropriate fees, and send all completed applications together to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga.

By mail:

In-Canada Sponsorship
CPC – Mississauga
PO Box 5040, Station B
Mississauga, ON
L5A 3A4

By courier service (no public drop-offs):

Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
2 Robert Speck Parkway, Suite 300
Mississauga, ON
L4Z 1H8

No open work permit for inlanders folks

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Londo said:
No open work permit for inlanders folks
Where did you read that in what you pasted?

1) There is no inland/outland anymore. The concept is gone. It's one PR application now.
2) They stated they are issuing OWP's for people who are being sponsored and are in Canada at their sponsor's address.

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
profiler said:
I guess you can't make every one happy, huh?

If you listen to what McCallum said, the "new guard" (the new process people at IRCC) have discovered which pieces can be executed concurrently. While they wait for medicals, they are waiting for Criminality and Security. The case still moves forward. No time lost.
I didn't actually get a chance to listen to the speech itself yet. It's great that certain things can be executed concurrently, but for me, getting medicals done with only 30 days notice would be a huge problem. I imagine it would be a potential nightmare for people with nonaccompanying dependents in tricky custody situations too.

I can maybe see the advantage in waiting to do the medical exam for people who live near a panel physician in the first place, especially for VOs with longer processing times. But for people who don't live reasonably close to one, it can easily become a logistical nightmare. Allowing people to do it later is fine, but not allowing people to provide it up front seems unnecessarily burdensome for no real reason.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
danawhitaker said:
I didn't actually get a chance to listen to the speech itself yet. It's great that certain things can be executed concurrently, but for me, getting medicals done with only 30 days notice would be a huge problem. I imagine it would be a potential nightmare for people with nonaccompanying dependents in tricky custody situations too.

I can maybe see the advantage in waiting to do the medical exam for people who live near a panel physician in the first place, especially for VOs with longer processing times. But for people who don't live reasonably close to one, it can easily become a logistical nightmare. Allowing people to do it later is fine, but not allowing people to provide it up front seems unnecessarily burdensome for no real reason.
Is it not fair to assume that, when you submit your application, that a medical would be required? So you should be planning anyway to make sure you can do it. The medical's still have a 1 year expiry. So, technically you could do them before, and just submit the eMedical when they ask? No?

Londo

Sep 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
23/11/2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2016
profiler said:
Where did you read that in what you pasted?

1) There is no inland/outland anymore. The concept is gone. It's one PR application now.
2) They stated they are issuing OWP's for people who are being sponsored and are in Canada at their sponsor's address.
I guess you are right ;D ;D ;D Sorry my bad. So do u reckon we may be able to apply?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Londo said:
I guess you are right ;D ;D ;D Sorry my bad. So do u reckon we may be able to apply?
Are you in Canada and at your sponsor's address? If so, apply.

Londo

Sep 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
23/11/2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2016
profiler said:
Are you in Canada and at your sponsor's address? If so, apply.
Yes wife is in Canada with me. Am the sponsor

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Londo said:
Yes wife is in Canada with me. Am the sponsor
Then you know what you must do :)

Here is the link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Pay $255 ($100 + $155; this includes the OWP holder fee), and wait for it to sprout from your mailbox.

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
profiler said:
Is it not fair to assume that, when you submit your application, that a medical would be required? So you should be planning anyway to make sure you can do it. The medical's still have a 1 year expiry. So, technically you could do them before, and just submit the eMedical when they ask? No?
Actually, according to this, it doesn't sound like you can: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1322&top=14

We'll know for sure when they release the new kit on the 15th I suppose, because that will flesh out the instructions much more, but that pretty strongly implies you shouldn't get it done in advance, and should wait for instructions if you don't already have one scheduled, even with using the old kit and submitting prior to the 31st of January.

30 days' notice to make travel arrangements when you don't live near one is a problem in my mind, because you don't know when they'll ask for it. You might have a rough idea based on how fast applications are being processed (assuming you follow this forum), but otherwise just waiting to be told when to do it seems problematic. And that all assumes of course that the panel physicians will be able to accommodate scheduling people within that 30 day window, and that CIC communications won't get lost in the ether. Some people don't have the luxury of just taking off on a trip on short notice, either due to work, family, and school commitments. Being able to do it upfront eliminates a large portion of those concerns.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
I wonder if IRCC has been using the new process to prove it out ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse/process.asp?_ga=1.143623805.934890606.1479241191 ) before they announced it. If so, it explains the sequence of events we (my wife and I) saw on the application filed. If so, that's pretty cool!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bcboundboy said:
It's very easy, because unlike you, I'm not having to add any extra words, or cut any out of it.
WTF is THAT supposed to mean? I've not added, nor truncated anything.

Sooo happy to see that you're `bound' for my Province...really. ;)

jeffporfirio

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ponga said:
WTF is THAT supposed to mean? I've not added, nor truncated anything.

Sooo happy to see that you're `bound' for my Province...really. ;)
He'll be waiting for you at the airport when you land.....welcome to Canada!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
jeffporfirio said:
He'll be waiting for you at the airport when you land.....welcome to Canada!
Heh. I will stay my 3,000km away :).