+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FAMILY REUNIFICATION - BIG CHANGES

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Ponga said:
WTF is THAT supposed to mean? I've not added, nor truncated anything.
That the only way to turn the promise as stated and implemented into what you're pretending it was is to change it. You're insistent that "immediate PR instead of conditional two years" meant "immediate decisions". The only way you can do that is by adding or removing words to their mouths.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bcboundboy said:
That the only way to turn the promise as stated and implemented into what you're pretending it was is to change it. You're insistent that "immediate PR instead of conditional two years" meant "immediate decisions". The only way you can do that is by adding or removing words to their mouths.
*sigh*...followed by sounds of beating my head against this proverbial wall.

I give up; you win!

Ski_is_fun

May 5, 2016
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
Med's Request
16-11-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
profiler said:
1) There is no inland/outland anymore. The concept is gone. It's one PR application now.
Unless i missed something in the communication, we cannot be so sure of that. They only say it will be one set of forms. They could still have a checkbox to make us choose between outland or inland.

Getting rid of this concept is huge. Would that mean that outland while in Canada is now considered like the old inland (without appeal) or that now everyone in Canada as the same rights to appeal as the old outland?

I cannot wait for Dec 15th to know all those details...

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Ski_is_fun said:
Unless i missed something in the communication, we cannot be so sure of that. They only say it will be one set of forms. They could still have a checkbox to make us choose between outland or inland.
You don't suppose the mailing address would be enough? And that said, changing it mid-application?

The communication said, there is one process now. So, that can only mean they don't care where you are. If they did, there would have to be two processes, right? Otherwise you'd be totally wasting your time and resources with the extra details.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ski_is_fun said:
Getting rid of this concept is huge. Would that mean that outland while in Canada is now considered like the old inland (without appeal) or that now everyone in Canada as the same rights to appeal as the old outland?
Great question!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
danawhitaker said:
30 days' notice to make travel arrangements when you don't live near one is a problem in my mind, because you don't know when they'll ask for it. You might have a rough idea based on how fast applications are being processed (assuming you follow this forum), but otherwise just waiting to be told when to do it seems problematic. And that all assumes of course that the panel physicians will be able to accommodate scheduling people within that 30 day window, and that CIC communications won't get lost in the ether. Some people don't have the luxury of just taking off on a trip on short notice, either due to work, family, and school commitments. Being able to do it upfront eliminates a large portion of those concerns.
i don't think there needs to be major concern about getting medicals done in 30 days. i have yet to hear of a large amount of experiences where the wait for an appointment was over 30 days. in fact, from my experience and many on this forum, it can be quite easy to get an appointment within 1-2 weeks, and the results are submitted immediately through the system by the doctor. this isn't to say every country and every physician can do this, it is to say i don't think the 30 day deadline needs to be a huge concern. also, 1) CIC suggests in the panel physician information that if a physician is not available within 250 miles of the applicant, the applicant can reach out for an alternative. I'm not sure how this works, i just know it IS listed as an option. 2) if the applicant is having issues getting the PCC or medical done within the timeframe, an extension can be applied for, and extensions are often granted.

with that said, the PCC may be an issue within a 30 day timeline, so CIC will most likely need to grant extension. again, it's not possible to know how all of this will unfold until it actually unfolds.

Ski_is_fun

May 5, 2016
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
Med's Request
16-11-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
profiler said:
You don't suppose the mailing address would be enough? And that said, changing it mid-application?

The communication said, there is one process now. So, that can only mean they don't care where you are. If they did, there would have to be two processes, right? Otherwise you'd be totally wasting your time and resources with the extra details.
With public statements I don't suppose anything... They only say one package, not that there is one process. There are big implications regarding right to appeal. And also what happens if you are deny entry in Canada.

In the old process you could apply outland while having a Canadian address.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
And that all assumes of course that the panel physicians will be able to accommodate scheduling people within that 30 day window,
Tend to agree. We booked our medical in Canada and had to wait 6 weeks for the appointment. This may prove to be a bit of an encumberance on the application processing times.

Playing devils advocate (please, be gentle), there are a few thing, that to me seem to be placing the onus entirely on the applicant(s) that could push total processing beyond the 12 month proposal.

my interest is if they will process old applicant's faster in accordance of this new law
This is not a law. It's a process/procedural change. You won't be able to use that against them if they don't meet the expectation. There really is no guarantee that things will improve. The 80% in 12 month are simply metrics they use to measure their internal performance. Until the end of next year, it will be difficult to confirm if they met the target (and I suspect with all the changes they won't). Keep in mind, they are only promising to process the application as well, not necessarily approve it.

Moving to one generic application is a good idea, but given the specific nature of some of the current regional requirements, is everyone now going to have to comply with them. To me it only makes sense to use the most stringent requirements for everyone. This puts a great deal of additional cost and effort on the applicant that weren't in place before (i.e. DNA testing, labour history, certified identity documents, etc).

External processes (medical/police certificates) being requested once the process starts could be another delay, not of IRCC making, that can delay your application. Particularly for those in Canada. Going back to your home country, or applying to an embassy to get a PCC is a pain. Been there, done that.

I think that they have, in essence, moved a lot of the administrative and documentation issues that delay applications onto the applicant to do up front. The processing times from IRCC should improve, but the due diligence on the applicant (and the time they spend preparing) will increase. And they have left themselves some decent caveats to allow them to deflect any delays.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Ski_is_fun said:
With public statements I don't suppose anything... They only say one package, not that there is one process. There are big implications regarding right to appeal. And also what happens if you are deny entry in Canada.

In the old process you could apply outland while having a Canadian address.
Here is the process:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse/process.asp?_ga=1.143623805.934890606.1479241191

McCallum said those exact words. "One Process".

I am not disputing the appeal at all. But 'inland' applications statistically have an 85% approval rating...

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
i don't think there needs to be concern about getting medicals done in 30 days. i have yet to hear of any experience where the wait for an appointment was over 30 days. in fact, from my experience and many on this forum, it's quite easy to get an appointment within 1-2 weeks, and the results are submitted immediately through the system by the doctor. this isn't to say every country can do this, it is to say i don't think the 30 day deadline needs to be a concern. also, 1) CIC suggests in the panel physician information that if a physician is not available within 250 miles of the applicant, the applicant can reach out for an alternative. I'm not sure how this works, i just know it IS listed as an option. 2) if the applicant is having issues getting the PCC or medical done within the timeframe, an extension can be applied for, and extensions are often granted.
Right. Extensions can be granted. But requiring things to be done after the application is already in process then actually has the potential to slow the process down for people who would otherwise have provided those things up front. In my mind, that's not a better way of doing things, at least not for people who are willing to do the legwork in advance and have everything prepared.

The 250 miles thing is interesting, and not something I noticed because getting one done where my husband lives (near London, ON) was a really simple process while I was up there for our wedding on a long visit. Thanks for pointing that out. Upon Googling that, I did stumble upon a thread that says:

"CIC will review their credentials (this process may take approx. 10 business days) and send them instructions by fax or e-mail."

So that does give people some better options, then, with regards to that, assuming they frequently are willing to grant approval to physicians that are conveniently located.

Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of the changes they've talked about are going to be good ones, especially with the simplification of forms and streamlining the process as a whole. It's going to benefit a lot of people in that regard. But as someone who's a meticulous planner (married to a meticulous planner), we dislike the idea of having the freedom of choice of having something done in advance taken away, and we're both glad that we applied when we did.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
danawhitaker said:
Right. Extensions can be granted. But requiring things to be done after the application is already in process then actually has the potential to slow the process down for people who would otherwise have provided those things up front. In my mind, that's not a better way of doing things, at least not for people who are willing to do the legwork in advance and have everything prepared.
the way i see it, we don't know whether it will be better or not better until it actually unfolds. the next year of processing will be interesting to watch...

buonqua

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 16,2016
AOR Received.
May 4, 2016
File Transfer...
May 12, 2016
Med's Done....
February 19,2016
I agree the police certificate is a pain to obtain. I got mines in 50 days because it was near the Lunar New Year which is a 10 day holiday in Vietnam.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Hi,

I have my Police Certificate and have my Medical Exam set for Dec 20th, 2016. My wife and I plan to apply sometime in January, around January 20th. Should we do the new package or the old package? I guess we have the option of either, but being I already have my exam set and my Police Certificate done would it be faster for us to do the old or the new, or doesn't matter?

Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Bcboundboy said:
I don't see how the Liberals could have been any clearer in a sentence form.
Maybe they could have actually used the word "Conditional", when originally describing what they were trying to do???